According to a 2017 Randstad Employer Brand Research survey of US workers, 76% do not fear their job will be replaced by a machine.
But why is this when there's so much bad news surrounding automation?
Here are five reasons:
1. People are up for retraining as long as pay isn't cut.
Despite what you may guess, most folks don't mind learning a few new things and believe their employers will still need them in ways they couldn't contribute before. Only 6% of business leaders see automation majorly shifting talent needs.
2. Workers believe AI and automation will help them and the company.
A lot of workers feel overworked and believe that automation will make the jobs easier, leaving them more time to get more productive at the things the machines can't do. And that benefits the entire company.
SEE: Special report: How to automate the enterprise (TechRepublic)
3. Some have already seen the benefits.
Nearly half of those surveyed say automation has already positively affected their business.
4. The past is a good example of automation not stealing jobs.
Computers used to be people in a room computing numbers. Machines took away all this work, but somehow office workers didn't disappear. Instead businesses could afford to hire more human-oriented positions that they couldn't before. Things like product managers and customer service.
5. AIs need us.
Maybe someday AI will be able to mimic all the things a human brain can do, but that's quite far away. Humans are better at intuiting things and taking action from indirect experience. Steve Grobman, CTO at McAfee recently wrote about the importance of human-machine teaming in increasing security. That need will likely be true in most industries.
It's not all roses, I know. As with any shift in technology from the lever to the steam engine and on, some people will need some help making the transition. But if we take that into account, most folks don't need to fear automation, in fact it may end up making their jobs much better.
More about automation and jobs:
See the original post:
- Don't be afraid of paint automation - Canadian Metalworking - May 25th, 2020
- Why Is Automation Of Utmost Importance Now? - Express Computer - May 25th, 2020
- A Case for Cooperation Between Machines and Humans - The New York Times - May 25th, 2020
- How Do AI and Smart Automation Impact Modern Testing and QA? - IoT For All - May 25th, 2020
- How is automation and predictive analysis changing banking? - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - May 25th, 2020
- IoT and automation help to save the world's honeybees - IT Brief Australia - May 25th, 2020
- Microsoft updates Teams with new automation and scheduling tools, NDI support for broadcasting and more - TechCrunch - May 25th, 2020
- Global Industrial Automation Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Emerson Electric, ABB, Accenture, Dassault Systmes, HCL... - May 25th, 2020
- Research Report with COVID-19 Forecasts - Healthcare IT Market 2020-2024 | Need for Automation Across Departments to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 25th, 2020
- Global Industrial Automation Control Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- ABB, Emerson Electric, Honeywell, Rockwell Automation,... - May 25th, 2020
- Global Automation Testing Tools Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Selenium, TestComplete, QMetry Automation Studio, Testim.io,... - May 25th, 2020
- Process Plant Automation Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2025 -... - Azizsalon News - May 25th, 2020
- Global Airport Logistic Process Automation Market Growth Rises By 20202026: Industry, Size, Demand, and Revenue - Cole of Duty - May 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Water Automation and Instrumentation Market Research Report Released with growth, latest trends & forecasts till 2030... - May 25th, 2020
- Automated Industrial Quality Control Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - May 25th, 2020
- Lab Automation Market (Impact of COVID-19) 2020 by its Scientific Reviews and Key Side-Effects - Cole of Duty - May 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global AR (Accounts Receivable) Automation Software Market: Recent Industry Trends and Projected Industry Growth, 2019-2033 -... - May 25th, 2020
- Global Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- ABB, Yokogawa Electric, Rockwell Automation, Emerson... - May 25th, 2020
- Top areas affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19) on Distribution Feeder Automation System Market Share, Size, Trends and Opportunities 2020-2029 - 3rd... - May 25th, 2020
- Ready or not, the automation age is suddenly upon us - VentureBeat - April 26th, 2020
- ROI of Automated User Provisioning - Security Boulevard - April 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus Shows That Fears About Automation Are Overblown - The National Interest Online - April 26th, 2020
- Global Irrigation Automation Industry (2020 to 2025) - Featuring Netafim, Lindsay and Valmont Industries Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 26th, 2020
- Defense is Embracing Robotic Process Automation But It's Not Yet Scaling It - Nextgov - April 26th, 2020
- The first mistake: Confusing cool automation with useful automation - Biometric Update - April 26th, 2020
- How AI and automation could impact supply chain roles - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - April 26th, 2020
- Pre & Post COVID-19 Market Estimates-System Integration Services Market for Industrial Automation in India 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with... - April 26th, 2020
- Steady Operations with Automation - HomeCare - April 26th, 2020
- Will COVID-19 Speed Up Tech Automation and Job Loss? - Dice Insights - April 26th, 2020
- AI and Automation Accelerating Synthetic Chemistry and Streamlining Drug Development - Technology Networks - April 26th, 2020
- Intelligent Automation Brings Light in the Dark World of COVID-19 - EnterpriseTalk - April 26th, 2020
- 5 Automation Hurdles All Marketers Need To Overcome - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- Huge Growth Seen for Robotic Process Automation in Healthcare Market by 2020-2027 Profiling key players Blue Prism, Automation Anywhere, UiPath,... - April 26th, 2020
- Technology, with a human touch: Why humanistic automation is the future of marketing - Express Computer - April 26th, 2020
- Medical Automation Technologies Market: Indoor Applications Projected to be the Most Attractive Segment during 2020-2027 - Bandera County Courier - April 26th, 2020
- Form Automation Software Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 26th, 2020
- Creating an intelligent automation toolkit - KMWorld Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Covid-19 is accelerating the use of automation - Inside Retail Asia - April 26th, 2020
- Using C# to automate web application testing in Edge with WebDriver - InfoWorld - April 26th, 2020
- Automation | Britannica - April 9th, 2020
- Bringing Automation to Physical Fiber Cross Connects to improve integrity of testing processes & more - Data Center Frontier - April 9th, 2020
- COVID-19's Impact on Industrial Automation, 2020 Thematic Research Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - April 9th, 2020
- No, automation won't kill the CPA - Accounting Today - April 9th, 2020
- From virtualization to automationthe march to 5G service revenues - RCR Wireless News - April 9th, 2020
- Automation for Beginners and Experts | 2020-04-06 - Quality Magazine - April 9th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Is Paying the Price for Failing to Think Big and Invest Bigger:Globaldata - AiThority - April 9th, 2020
- Automation May Take Jobsbut AI Will Create Them - WIRED - April 9th, 2020
- AP Automation helps prevent the growing finance fraud problem - MSDynamicsWorld.com - April 9th, 2020
- AI and Automation's Impact on the Workforce - HR Exchange Network - April 9th, 2020
- Improving the Power Grid with Blockchain - Automation World - April 9th, 2020
- Remote Working: What It Means For RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - April 9th, 2020
- McKinsey: what is the future of automation? - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - April 9th, 2020
- Global Automation Testing Industry - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Algorithms and automation - Council of Europe - April 9th, 2020
- Algorithms and automation: new guidelines to prevent human rights breaches - Council of Europe - April 9th, 2020
- Box bolsters cloud security with automated malware detection - VentureBeat - April 9th, 2020
- Automated Industrial Technologies takes stab at prototypes to help with ventilator shortage - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 9th, 2020
- 737 Max: Boeing usually downplays automation but MCAS made its crisis - Business Insider - Business Insider - April 9th, 2020
- BAL Earns Prestigious 'CIO 100' Award for Innovative Use of Intelligent Automation in Immigration Services - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Rockwell Automation taking measures to address COVID-19 pandemic - Greater Milwaukee Today - April 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 to bring in higher automation & digitalisation in Indian automotive sector: ETAuto Roundtable - ETAuto.com - April 9th, 2020
- Automation - Advantages and disadvantages of automation ... - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - April 2nd, 2020
- Bridging the Network Automation Skills Gap - DevOps.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Yard work: Automation strolls out the warehouse door - ZDNet - April 2nd, 2020
- Five Steps To Get Started With Robotic Automation - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- ValueLink drives efficiency in the valuation process through a combination of automation, AI and analytics - HousingWire - April 2nd, 2020
- Bosses speed up automation as virus keeps workers home - The Guardian - April 2nd, 2020
- What is Feature Engineering and Why Does It Need To Be Automated? - Datanami - April 2nd, 2020
- Parascript and Le Mans Tech Partner to Offer Integrated Automation Solutions to Small and Midsize Banks - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Smartly.io Powers Digital Advertising Innovation and Automation on Pinterest - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2020
- Overcoming the challenges of intelligent automation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Will the COVID-19 Pandemic Promote Mass Automation? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - April 2nd, 2020
- Attractive Opportunities in Automation - Morningstar - April 2nd, 2020
- Automating with a solid foundation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Industry could fast-track automation amid COVID-19 fallout - www.mining-journal.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Building automation to generate $44bn in revenue per annum - Smart Energy - April 2nd, 2020
- The Idea Behind Automating Your Commissions - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Why Intelligent Automation is the Need of the Hour - CXOToday.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Using RPA to automate internal audits where to start - TechHQ - April 2nd, 2020