AI & Analytics
Job seekers know how the right keywords can make the difference between getting their resume seen by a hiring manager or consigned to a digital graveyard. But the Army is hoping to change that by capturing "back of the resume" data to better tell an officer's story when hunting for their next assignment while also using data analytics to crack down on nepotism.
The Army has been tweaking its personnel management systems as part of its People Strategy, released in October, which outlines how the service plans to acquire, train and keep its talent. And better data is key to finding the best talent, especially when it comes to tech.
"We know who the cyber officers are because they're already in the cyber branch. What we don't know is the infantry officer who also has some sort of certification as some sort of coder -- he's got some unique data analytics skills that aren't captured in his traditional educational background," said Maj. Gen. Joseph Calloway, Army Human Resources Command's commanding general.
Calloway said the command is working to capture and harness that information and develop waysof better tailoring officers' assignments, including tapping into data pertaining to outside knowledge, skills, and other desired traits -- such as where soldiers travel or may have lived in their youth -- that wouldn't necessarily show up on their record brief, which encapsulates formal education and career highlights.
The Army recently assigned about 15,000 officers using an automated program as part of the Army Talent Alignment Program (ATAP), which seeks to better match unit needs with officers' skills, Army officials told reporters during a Feb. 6 briefing.
This was the first time the board selection, processed from October to December, was conducted by combining ATAP with an automated job application portal, the Assignment Interactive Model 2.0, that Army officers used to apply for assignments and commanders used to interact with applicants.
With AIM 2.0, officers can view all open positions and list their preferences and skills, while unit commanders can use it to have more interactive input with applicants to figure out who is best for the assignment.
Army officials said the difference with using the automated assignment system was noticeable -- with a 35-percentage point improvement in market participation and more than half of officers and units received their top choice, where the unit and officer matched, Calloway said. Eighty percent received a choice in their top 10%.
Old fashioned interviews and face-time bolstered the automated system, officials said, but being able to cull data points that aren't captured in an Army officer's official record or formal education is important for force readiness.
"The ability for an officer to self-profess his or her talents on the backside of the [Officer Record Brief (ORB)] is really important because we now are able to see all sorts of skills that we didn't know existed within the officer corps," said Maj. Gen. J.P. McGee, Army Talent Management Task Force director.
As an example, McGee said he brought on an officer, an operational research systems analyst, who is writing a book on people analytics for CEOs -- information that would've been missed otherwise.
"She's now the head of our team that is trying to develop a people analytics strategy, [a] system talent management system, we're trying to develop. So there's a lot of information that is out there that isn't encapsulated in your official record that we're trying to capture on the backside of that ORB," McGee said.
But the process did have snags.
"The automated tool ultimately runs out of information to make decisions on," Calloway said, "and would assign officers to jobs for which they did not qualify."
Those mismatches were corrected, Calloway said, but to prevent, or at least lessen, them the Army wants to increase and improve data collection.
"What we're going to do is try to make the tool more user friendly on both sides so that the filtering mechanisms in the tool will help," he said. And in cases where the tool runs out of data, Calloway said the Army plans to "insert additional logic into that tool to prevent that from happening."
The Army also hopes that future iterations of the system will help define and curb nepotism and commanders hiring predominantly within their comfort zone.
"The portfolio of people you know is always going to be limited by your personal experiences," McGee said. "We believe that more visibility is going to lead to different choices not along the lines of who has served with you before."
But, as is often the trick with data, the Army has to define what that nepotism means: is it three consecutive tours under the same commander or six? And how should that be employed?
"Now we finally have a data structure that can say Col. Smith understands how to do this, and he exercises this authority we've given him responsibly. And you know, Col. Jones actually doesn't, he only hires people who have worked for him in the past. And that's not the intention of this," McGee said.
Thisarticle first appeared on FCW, a partner site to Defense Systems.
About the Author
Lauren C. Williams is a staff writer at FCW covering defense and cybersecurity.
Prior to joining FCW, Williams was the tech reporter for ThinkProgress, where she covered everything from internet culture to national security issues. In past positions, Williams covered health care, politics and crime for various publications, including The Seattle Times.
Williams graduated with a master's in journalism from the University of Maryland, College Park and a bachelor's in dietetics from the University of Delaware. She can be contacted at email@example.com, or follow her on Twitter @lalaurenista.
Click here for previous articles by Wiliams.
See the article here:
- Automation | Definition of Automation by Merriam-Webster - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation | Definition of Automation at Dictionary.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation (2019) - IMDb - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - Advantages and disadvantages of automation ... - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - April 2nd, 2020
- Bridging the Network Automation Skills Gap - DevOps.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Yard work: Automation strolls out the warehouse door - ZDNet - April 2nd, 2020
- Five Steps To Get Started With Robotic Automation - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- ValueLink drives efficiency in the valuation process through a combination of automation, AI and analytics - HousingWire - April 2nd, 2020
- Bosses speed up automation as virus keeps workers home - The Guardian - April 2nd, 2020
- What is Feature Engineering and Why Does It Need To Be Automated? - Datanami - April 2nd, 2020
- Parascript and Le Mans Tech Partner to Offer Integrated Automation Solutions to Small and Midsize Banks - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Smartly.io Powers Digital Advertising Innovation and Automation on Pinterest - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2020
- Overcoming the challenges of intelligent automation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Will the COVID-19 Pandemic Promote Mass Automation? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - April 2nd, 2020
- Attractive Opportunities in Automation - Morningstar - April 2nd, 2020
- Automating with a solid foundation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Industry could fast-track automation amid COVID-19 fallout - www.mining-journal.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Building automation to generate $44bn in revenue per annum - Smart Energy - April 2nd, 2020
- The Idea Behind Automating Your Commissions - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Why Intelligent Automation is the Need of the Hour - CXOToday.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Using RPA to automate internal audits where to start - TechHQ - April 2nd, 2020
- Scaling Bakery Production with Automated Mixing | 2020-04-01 - Baking Business - April 2nd, 2020
- Virtual assistant 'Larry the Chat Bot' brings automated solution... - Hays Free Press - April 2nd, 2020
- Aleyant Celebrates 15 Years of Innovation in Automated Print Software - Industry Analysts Inc - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation Anywhere helps deliver business continuity with RPA industry's first bot security program - Continuity Central - April 2nd, 2020
- Java vs. Python for test automation? Why Ruby is the better choice - TechBeacon - April 2nd, 2020
- Aido Technologies Launches Free Use of AI-Powered Automated CPT and Diagnosis Coding During the US Response to COVID-19 - Associated Press - April 2nd, 2020
- Automating with a solid foundation - ITProPortal - March 31st, 2020
- Five Steps To Get Started With Robotic Automation - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- Bosses speed up automation as virus keeps workers home - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- How automation is speeding delivery of COVID-19 results to hospitals - TechRepublic - March 31st, 2020
- Reevaluating the Conversation on Automation and the Future of Work - Georgetown Public Policy Review - Georgetown Public Policy Review - March 31st, 2020
- Using RPA to automate internal audits where to start - TechHQ - March 31st, 2020
- What will drive the future of automation? - Essential Install - March 31st, 2020
- Home Working Causes Bosses to Increase Automation - DIGIT.FYI - March 31st, 2020
- Load.ng commits to leveraging Tech for Bitcoin to Naira Exchange Automation. - Techpoint Africa - March 31st, 2020
- news digest: Automation Anywhere's Bot Security, Linux 5.6, and the IntelliSense Code Linter for C++ - SD Times - SDTimes.com - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Pushes Logistic Automation up the Agenda - Sea News - March 31st, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA): Is It Recession Proof? - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- How AI+Automation Can Transform Tedious Office-Tasks? - Analytics Insight - March 16th, 2020
- Software release cycles accelerate, but automation is not keeping up - ZDNet - March 16th, 2020
- Wannabe Wired: Don't fear the (automated) reaper - The Lawton Constitution - March 16th, 2020
- Study Shows 93% of Employees Believe Process Automation Will Make Jobs Easier - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- Centralizing Your Systems - Automation World - March 16th, 2020
- Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 16th, 2020
- Smart bathrooms have been around since the 1980s. But do they help against coronavirus? - NorthJersey.com - March 16th, 2020
- How do financial advisors stay relevant in the age of automation? - Moneyweb.co.za - March 16th, 2020
- How SEOs can benefit from using AI and automation - Econsultancy - March 16th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market World Informing, Growth Analysis And Opportunities Outlook 2020 To 2026 - News Times - March 16th, 2020
- Digital Transformation: UAE Banking Executive Explains How Fintech, AI, Robotic Process Automation is Transforming Finance Sector - Crowdfund Insider - March 16th, 2020
- Why robotic process automation (RPA) is the perfect technology for logistics - FreightWaves - March 16th, 2020
- Research Predicts Automated Deliveries Will Generate up to $48.4B in Revenue by 2030 - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- SOARIZON by Thales and Iris Automation announce partnership - sUAS News - March 16th, 2020
- This husband-wife duos startup helps companies automate their workflows - YourStory - March 16th, 2020
- Why Police Love the Idea of Automated Content Moderation - Slate - March 16th, 2020
- Smart Elevator Automation System Market 2019 Trends, Size, Segments, Emerging Technologies and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2023 - Packaging News 24 - March 16th, 2020
- Connectivity is the key to early wins in connected and automated mobility - FleetNews - March 16th, 2020
- 2.7m Aussie jobs at risk of automation - ACS - March 16th, 2020
- Bots bring automation to the war on data entry - C4ISRNet - March 16th, 2020
- Will The Tesla Model Y Allow Fully Automated Production To Happen? - InsideEVs - March 16th, 2020
- Bolt-on Software and Automation Technologies Showcased at MODEX - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Helping workers survive automation - Bangkok Post - March 11th, 2020
- AI and Automation in the Workplace - Electropages - March 11th, 2020
- Packsize and 6 River Systems Collaborate on Next-generation Warehouse Automation Technology at MODEX - DC Velocity - March 11th, 2020
- Automation startup Zinier raises $90 million to expand in Brazil - Capacity Media - March 11th, 2020
- Don't miss the big Brexit automation opportunity to improve digital skills - Information Age - March 11th, 2020
- Why enterprises are turning to partnership automation - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 11th, 2020
- Kryon Solidifies Leadership in Singapore's Robotic Process Automation Marketplace With Government Accreditation From IMDA - PRNewswire - March 11th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to automate data extraction from geotagged images - Geospatial World - March 11th, 2020
- Royal Society of Arts calls for training amid automation rise - The National - March 11th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling Market Expected to Grow with a CAGR of 11.30% During the Forecast Period, 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - March 11th, 2020
- New and notable: Automation and AI - Greenhouse Canada - March 11th, 2020
- Call Center Automation Depends on Collaborative AI - Customer Think - March 11th, 2020
- Process Automation Software Market (2020 To 2027) is booming worldwide with Adobe, AppSheet, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism - News Times - March 11th, 2020
- Munich Re Automation Solutions on the rise of the insurtech sector - Insurance Business - March 11th, 2020
- APAC Automation & Control Systems Market in the Upstream Oil & Gas Industry, Forecast to 2023 - Positive Market Sentiments Point to Slow... - March 6th, 2020
- Microsoft Goes All-In On RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - March 6th, 2020
- Aging and automation shaping workforce, labor secretary tells Worcester business group - Worcester Telegram - March 6th, 2020
- How automation is taking some of the burden for healthcare workers - Tech Wire Asia - March 6th, 2020