It was announced a few weeks back Major League Baseball will be experimenting with an automated strike zone at nine facilities during Spring Training in 2020. This comes after game usage in 2019 in the Atlantic League and the Arizona Fall League. Its pretty clear, Commissioner Rob Manfred wants Robo-Umps at home plate. It seems a very safe bet theyll be used more, the technology will improve and well see an MLB system implemented within the next three seasons. Is it good? Bad? No difference? Lets look at a few things.
The first thing needing to be discussed is the authormeis an amateur umpire. I work in high school baseball and 14U travel baseball. Its a very fun side-hustle which Id recommend to many folks. The money is decent, you meet plenty of nice people, youre outdoors, and youre still involved in the game we all love. Its 90% fun and 10% listening to someone in the stands wonder what the infield fly rule is, or an obstruction call theyre certain you got wrong even if theyve never cracked open a rule book.
However, being an amateur umpire just makes you someone interested in umpiringnot an expert on umpiring. Big difference. My opinion is just another guys thoughts. Lets look at things anyhow.
I hold major league umpires in the highest regard. Some of the calls they get correct are mind-blowing to someone like me. The speed and size of the players they officiate and the bang-bang nature of so many calls they get right are amazing. As someone who mightmightsee one kid per year hit 90-mph with a heater, the most impressive thing is how big league (and NCAA) umps deal with the 95+ velocity and wicked breaking stuff on a nightly basis. They get 95% of calls right by most reports. They also do it from March through October with a relentless meat-grinder schedule. As an Average Joe on the couch you might think you could do what they dosorry, you cant.
So why change to an automated system? Mankind, in general, has a natural urge to improve. Technology often gets rushed into action to improve on what humans already do well. Watching some video from the Atlantic League and the AZ Fall League (which there isnt a ton of) you can see the technology will get most pitches right. But you can also find some examples where the Robo-umps calibration is going to call some pitches strikes that are not generally accepted as a strike in todays game. The pitch sometimes nicks the zone and dive into the dirt causing some definite consternation from the hitter.
How long will it take MLB hitters and pitchers to adjust to this? Hard to say. It wont be easy.
Even if the zone changes some if the robo-ump can even just match the human umps accuracy it does eliminate any claims of bias from one team or another. The common refrain of call em both ways and we dont get that pitch and are you kidding me?! will be become useless since the automated system wont have ears.
It wont totally alleviate the home plate umpire from the burden of bench jockeying though. The Atlantic League allowed umpires to overrule the robo-ump if they felt the system really missed a pitch badly. Arguments happened when the ump declined to change a pitch. If MLB does something similar you could see plenty of benches whining for the umpire to make a call on borderline pitches.
Then consider how the NFL refused, for the most part, to overrule pass interference calls this season. It could be easy to imagine an MLB umpire not really looking to split hairs over a nasty slider nipping the black or being an inch or two outside. Theyll let the system call all but the most egregious misses.
The plate umpire will still be a popular target from the bench in those instances.
The plate umpire will still have plenty of work to do back there. Foul tips, check swings, fair or foul calls, plays at the plate, timing plays, covering other bases in rotation, putting the ball back in play after a dead ball, calling balks, calling various types of interference and obstruction, etc. The job wont go away. But its definitely going to change.
Is it a good thing? Im not going to cry about the game losing the human element. Itll still be there and in due course, well adapt as fans just as the umpires, players, and managers will adapt.
There is no doubt the implementation will have its rough edges. How could it not? Conspiracy theorists will have a field day for instance. Especially if MLB has to recalibrate its strike zone as it tries to find a way to solve the current scourge in the game of too many strikeouts and not enough balls in play.
Or the system could malfunction (in Iowa Caucus fashion!)perhaps in a playoff game. The howling would be deafening.
The technology isnt going away thoughits close. They are dipping the MLB toe in the water this Spring. The Robo-ump will be doing a cannonball into the pool in the first half of this decade.
- Automation | Definition of Automation at Dictionary.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - Advantages and disadvantages of automation ... - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - April 2nd, 2020
- Bridging the Network Automation Skills Gap - DevOps.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Yard work: Automation strolls out the warehouse door - ZDNet - April 2nd, 2020
- Five Steps To Get Started With Robotic Automation - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- ValueLink drives efficiency in the valuation process through a combination of automation, AI and analytics - HousingWire - April 2nd, 2020
- Bosses speed up automation as virus keeps workers home - The Guardian - April 2nd, 2020
- What is Feature Engineering and Why Does It Need To Be Automated? - Datanami - April 2nd, 2020
- Parascript and Le Mans Tech Partner to Offer Integrated Automation Solutions to Small and Midsize Banks - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Smartly.io Powers Digital Advertising Innovation and Automation on Pinterest - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2020
- Overcoming the challenges of intelligent automation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Will the COVID-19 Pandemic Promote Mass Automation? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - April 2nd, 2020
- Attractive Opportunities in Automation - Morningstar - April 2nd, 2020
- Automating with a solid foundation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Industry could fast-track automation amid COVID-19 fallout - www.mining-journal.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Building automation to generate $44bn in revenue per annum - Smart Energy - April 2nd, 2020
- The Idea Behind Automating Your Commissions - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Why Intelligent Automation is the Need of the Hour - CXOToday.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Using RPA to automate internal audits where to start - TechHQ - April 2nd, 2020
- Virtual assistant 'Larry the Chat Bot' brings automated solution... - Hays Free Press - April 2nd, 2020
- Aleyant Celebrates 15 Years of Innovation in Automated Print Software - Industry Analysts Inc - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation Anywhere helps deliver business continuity with RPA industry's first bot security program - Continuity Central - April 2nd, 2020
- Java vs. Python for test automation? Why Ruby is the better choice - TechBeacon - April 2nd, 2020
- Aido Technologies Launches Free Use of AI-Powered Automated CPT and Diagnosis Coding During the US Response to COVID-19 - Associated Press - April 2nd, 2020
- How automation is speeding delivery of COVID-19 results to hospitals - TechRepublic - March 31st, 2020
- Reevaluating the Conversation on Automation and the Future of Work - Georgetown Public Policy Review - Georgetown Public Policy Review - March 31st, 2020
- What will drive the future of automation? - Essential Install - March 31st, 2020
- Home Working Causes Bosses to Increase Automation - DIGIT.FYI - March 31st, 2020
- Load.ng commits to leveraging Tech for Bitcoin to Naira Exchange Automation. - Techpoint Africa - March 31st, 2020
- news digest: Automation Anywhere's Bot Security, Linux 5.6, and the IntelliSense Code Linter for C++ - SD Times - SDTimes.com - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Pushes Logistic Automation up the Agenda - Sea News - March 31st, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA): Is It Recession Proof? - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- How AI+Automation Can Transform Tedious Office-Tasks? - Analytics Insight - March 16th, 2020
- Software release cycles accelerate, but automation is not keeping up - ZDNet - March 16th, 2020
- Wannabe Wired: Don't fear the (automated) reaper - The Lawton Constitution - March 16th, 2020
- Study Shows 93% of Employees Believe Process Automation Will Make Jobs Easier - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- Centralizing Your Systems - Automation World - March 16th, 2020
- Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 16th, 2020
- Smart bathrooms have been around since the 1980s. But do they help against coronavirus? - NorthJersey.com - March 16th, 2020
- How do financial advisors stay relevant in the age of automation? - Moneyweb.co.za - March 16th, 2020
- How SEOs can benefit from using AI and automation - Econsultancy - March 16th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market World Informing, Growth Analysis And Opportunities Outlook 2020 To 2026 - News Times - March 16th, 2020
- Digital Transformation: UAE Banking Executive Explains How Fintech, AI, Robotic Process Automation is Transforming Finance Sector - Crowdfund Insider - March 16th, 2020
- Why robotic process automation (RPA) is the perfect technology for logistics - FreightWaves - March 16th, 2020
- Research Predicts Automated Deliveries Will Generate up to $48.4B in Revenue by 2030 - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- SOARIZON by Thales and Iris Automation announce partnership - sUAS News - March 16th, 2020
- This husband-wife duos startup helps companies automate their workflows - YourStory - March 16th, 2020
- Why Police Love the Idea of Automated Content Moderation - Slate - March 16th, 2020
- Smart Elevator Automation System Market 2019 Trends, Size, Segments, Emerging Technologies and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2023 - Packaging News 24 - March 16th, 2020
- Connectivity is the key to early wins in connected and automated mobility - FleetNews - March 16th, 2020
- 2.7m Aussie jobs at risk of automation - ACS - March 16th, 2020
- Bots bring automation to the war on data entry - C4ISRNet - March 16th, 2020
- Will The Tesla Model Y Allow Fully Automated Production To Happen? - InsideEVs - March 16th, 2020
- Bolt-on Software and Automation Technologies Showcased at MODEX - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Helping workers survive automation - Bangkok Post - March 11th, 2020
- AI and Automation in the Workplace - Electropages - March 11th, 2020
- Packsize and 6 River Systems Collaborate on Next-generation Warehouse Automation Technology at MODEX - DC Velocity - March 11th, 2020
- Automation startup Zinier raises $90 million to expand in Brazil - Capacity Media - March 11th, 2020
- Don't miss the big Brexit automation opportunity to improve digital skills - Information Age - March 11th, 2020
- Why enterprises are turning to partnership automation - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 11th, 2020
- Kryon Solidifies Leadership in Singapore's Robotic Process Automation Marketplace With Government Accreditation From IMDA - PRNewswire - March 11th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to automate data extraction from geotagged images - Geospatial World - March 11th, 2020
- Royal Society of Arts calls for training amid automation rise - The National - March 11th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling Market Expected to Grow with a CAGR of 11.30% During the Forecast Period, 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - March 11th, 2020
- New and notable: Automation and AI - Greenhouse Canada - March 11th, 2020
- Call Center Automation Depends on Collaborative AI - Customer Think - March 11th, 2020
- Process Automation Software Market (2020 To 2027) is booming worldwide with Adobe, AppSheet, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism - News Times - March 11th, 2020
- Munich Re Automation Solutions on the rise of the insurtech sector - Insurance Business - March 11th, 2020
- APAC Automation & Control Systems Market in the Upstream Oil & Gas Industry, Forecast to 2023 - Positive Market Sentiments Point to Slow... - March 6th, 2020
- Microsoft Goes All-In On RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - March 6th, 2020
- Aging and automation shaping workforce, labor secretary tells Worcester business group - Worcester Telegram - March 6th, 2020
- How automation is taking some of the burden for healthcare workers - Tech Wire Asia - March 6th, 2020
- Cisco Focuses on Industrial Cybersecurity and the Edge - Automation World - March 6th, 2020
- Industrial Automation and Instrumentation Market in India 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with ABB Ltd. and Eaton Corp. Plc | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 6th, 2020
- HomePod volume blasting you away? Try this volume automation - 9to5Mac - March 6th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling (AMH) Market, Forecast to 2025 - Daifuku, BEUMER Group, Siemens, JBT, and Honeywell Intelligrated are Dominating - Yahoo... - March 6th, 2020
- IS AUTOMATION A THREAT TO CONSTRUCTION WORKFORCES? - KHL Group - March 6th, 2020
- Growing Importance of Automation and Robotics in Manufacturing & Supply Chains - Analytics Insight - March 6th, 2020
- United States Library Expenditure Market Outlook to 2024 - Increasing Spending on Automation in Libraries Drives Market Growth - PRNewswire - March 6th, 2020