NASAs SBIR program regularly doles out cash to promising small businesses and research programs, and the lists of awardees is always interesting to sift through. Here are a dozen companies and proposals from this batch that are especially compelling or suggest new directions for missions and industry in space.
Sadly these brief descriptions are often all that is available. These things are often so early stage that theres nothing to show but some equations and a drawing on the back of a napkin but NASA knows promising work when it sees it. (You can learn more about how to apply for SBIR grants here.)
Autonomous deorbiting system
Martian Sky Technologies wins the backronym award with Decluttering of Earth Orbit to Repurpose for Bespoke Innovative Technologies, or DEORBIT, an effort to create an autonomous clutter-removal system for low Earth orbit. It is intended to monitor a given volume and remove any intruding items, clearing the area for construction or occupation by another craft.
Image Credits: Getty Images
Ultrasonic additive manufacturing
There are lots of proposals for various forms of 3D printing, welding, and other things important to the emerging field of On-orbit servicing, assembly, and manufacturing or OSAM. One I found interesting uses ultrasonics, which is weird to me because clearly, in space, theres no atmosphere for ultrasonic to work in (Im going to guess they thought of that). But this kind of counterintuitive approach could lead to a truly new approach.
Robots watch each others backs
Doing OSAM work will likely involve coordinating multiple robotic platforms, something thats hard enough on Earth. TRAClabs is looking into a way to enhance perceptual feedback and decrease the cognitive load on operators by autonomously moving robots not in use to positions where they can provide useful viewpoints of the others. Its a simple idea and fits with the way humans tend to work if youre not the person doing the actual task, you automatically move out of the way and to a good position to see whats happening.
3D printed Hall effect thrusters
Hall effect thrusters are a highly efficient form of electric propulsion that could be very useful in certain types of in-space maneuvering. But theyre not particularly powerful, and it seems that to build larger ones existing manufacturing techniques will not suffice. Elementum 3D aims to accomplish it by developing a new additive manufacturing technique and cobalt-iron feedstock that should let them make these things as big as they want.
Venus is a fascinating place, but its surface is extremely hostile to machines the way theyre built here on Earth. Even hardened Mars rovers like Perseverance would succumb in minutes, seconds even in the 800F heat. And among the many ways they would fail is that the batteries they use would overheat and possibly explode. TalosTech and the University of Delaware are looking into an unusual type of battery that would operate at high temperatures by using atmospheric CO2 as a reactant.
Neuromorphic low-SWaP radio
When youre going to space, every gram and cubic centimeter counts, and once youre out there, every milliwatt does as well. Thats why theres always a push to switch legacy systems to low size, weight, and power (low-SWaP) alternatives. Intellisense is taking on part of the radio stack, using neuromorphic (i.e. brainlike but not in a sci-fi way) computing to simplify and shrink the part that sorts and directs incoming signals. Every gram saved is one more spacecraft designers can put to work elsewhere, and they may get some performance gains as well.
Making space safer with lidar
Astrobotic is becoming a common name to see in NASAs next few years of interplanetary missions, and its research division is looking at ways to make both spacecraft and surface vehicles like rovers smarter and safer using lidar. One proposal is a lidar system narrowly focused on imaging single small objects in a sparse scene (e.g. scanning one satellite from another against the vastness of space) for the purposes of assessment and repair. The second involves a deep learning technique applied to both lidar and traditional imagery to identify obstacles on a planets surface. The team for that one is currently also working on the VIPER water-hunting rover aiming for a 2023 lunar landing.
Monitoring space farms
Bloomfield does automated monitoring of agriculture, but growing plants in orbit or on the surface or Mars is a little different than here on Earth. But its hoping to expand to Controlled Environment Agriculture, which is to say the little experimental farms weve used to see how plants grow under weird conditions like microgravity. They plan to use multi-spectral imaging and deep learning analysis thereof to monitor the state of plants constantly so astronauts dont have to write leaf 25 got bigger every day in a notebook.
The Artemis program is all about going to the Moon to stay, but we havent quite figured out that last part. Researchers are looking into how to refuel and launch rockets from the lunar surface without bringing everything involved with them, and Exploration Architecture aims to take on a small piece of that, building a lunar launchpad literally brick by brick. It proposes an integrated system that takes lunar dust or regolith, melts it down, then bakes it into bricks to be placed wherever needed. Its either that or bring Earth bricks, and I can tell you thats not a good option.
Several other companies and research agencies proposed regolith-related construction and handling as well. It was one of a handful of themes, some of which are a little too in the weeds to go into.
Another theme was technologies for exploring ice worlds like Europa. Sort of like the opposite of Venus, an ice planet will be lethal to ordinary rovers in many ways and the conditions necessitate different approaches for power, sensing, and traversal.
NASA isnt immune to the new trend of swarms, be they satellite or aircraft. Managing these swarms takes a lot of doing, and if theyre to act as a single distributed machine (which is the general idea) they need a robust computing architecture behind them. Numerous companies are looking into ways to accomplish this.
You can see the rest of NASAs latest SBIR grants, and the technology transfer program selections too, at the dedicated site here. And if youre curious how to get some of that federal cash yourself, read on below.
See the original post here:
- Oil & Gas Pipeline and Transportation Automation Market in Industrial Machinery Industry to grow by $ 742.43 million| Emerging Trends, Company... - July 12th, 2021
- Labor shortage will lead to more automation, & responsible teens - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 12th, 2021
- System Integration Services Market for Industrial Automation in India to reach USD 420.53 million| Discover Company Insights in Technavio - KPVI News... - July 12th, 2021
- Exclusive: TikTok introducing more automation to video removals - Axios - July 12th, 2021
- The Rise of Automation in Analytical Science - Technology Networks - July 12th, 2021
- Innovation Institute incubator to co-develop automation tools with Olive - Modern Healthcare - July 12th, 2021
- Worldwide Industrial Automation Industry to 2027 - Growing Number of SMEs Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Robotic Process Automation Sweeps Across the Healthcare Industry - Electronic Design - July 12th, 2021
- Everyone's Talking Automation: What does HR Software Really Do? - State-Journal.com - July 12th, 2021
- The pandemic has brought more automation, which could have long-term impacts for workers. - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Shanghai Targets 47 Million TEU Annually Through Growth and Automation - The Maritime Executive - July 12th, 2021
- Restaurants are starting to hire robots instead of people who are demanding higher pay - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Provider-owned Innovation Lab partners with Olive to build automation tools - MedCity News - July 12th, 2021
- The lab automation market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.53% during 2021-2026 - GlobeNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Real estate is a people business, but automation can help - HousingWire - July 12th, 2021
- Home Automation For Fans Of Quick-and-Dirty Solutions - Hackaday - July 12th, 2021
- Remote Access in the Continuous Processing Industry Take Five with Automation World - Automation World - July 12th, 2021
- Banking CFOs need to step up efforts in ESG, automation and crypto support - Accenture study - IT Brief Australia - July 12th, 2021
- Automation Market in Textile Industry: Forecast of Healthy YoY Growth Rate at 1.20% - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Insights on the Industrial Automation Global Market to 2027 - Featuring ABB, Siemens and Schneider Electric Among Others - Yahoo Finance - July 12th, 2021
- OMD Sees Campaign Results Skyrocket by Using IAS Automated Tag with Google - Yahoo Finance - July 12th, 2021
- Adding Automation to PRNT's 3D Printing Thesis - ETF Trends - July 12th, 2021
- WISeKey combats cybercrime with HIRO Cybersecurity Knowledge Automation, the first ever integrated cybersecurity automation solution which uses... - July 12th, 2021
- Restaurant owner: Automated drive-thrus trump $15 wages for business - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Introducing FlexRule X, the Next Generation of End-to-End Decision Automation Platform: Ready for Early Access - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Network Automation Market to Hit USD 22.58 Billion by 2027 Backed by Increasing Adoption of Connected Devices Worldwide, reports Fortune Business... - July 12th, 2021
- Building Competitive Advantage With Automation - Broadband Communities - April 5th, 2021
- What Do We Mean by Automation? - Forbes - April 5th, 2021
- NG automation to catapult productivity and profitability with edge computing - FutureIoT - April 5th, 2021
- How automating and streamlining can provide a treasure trove of data - Smart Business Network - April 5th, 2021
- Addressing great need for automation of composites - Advanced Manufacturing - April 5th, 2021
- Cockpit automation leading to airline industry complacency - Airline Ratings - April 5th, 2021
- HAL in Permian Automation Breakthrough and More - Rigzone News - April 5th, 2021
- Worldwide Robotic Process Automation Industry (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Automation Anywhere, NICE and Blue Prism Among Others -... - April 5th, 2021
- Deloitte and UiPath Team on Intelligent Automation Solutions Built for the Oracle ERP Platform - PRNewswire - April 5th, 2021
- The benefits of hyper-automation for banking - Finextra - Finextra - April 5th, 2021
- Test automation tools: 8 trends and techniques to watch - TechBeacon - April 5th, 2021
- CrowdStrike Releases 2021 Cybersecurity Global Threat Report - Automation World - April 5th, 2021
- Is the Future of Manufacturing Automated or Autonomous? - Entrepreneur - April 5th, 2021
- Diving Into the Boost for Automation in the Claims and Appraisal Process - glassBYTEs - April 5th, 2021
- How does your company help customers with their automated testing initiatives? - SDTimes.com - April 5th, 2021
- 78% of IT Leaders Plan to Increase Spending on Automation Initiatives Post-Pandemic - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- As Automation Expands in the Nordic Region, Look to 'GXF' - ETF Trends - April 5th, 2021
- Rockwell Automation Stock Appears To Be Significantly Overvalued - Yahoo Finance - April 5th, 2021
- Klaviyo Unveils New Marketing Automation Innovations with Personalized Benchmarks Tool and Conversational SMS - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Save Time & Money With Automated Password Resets - Security Boulevard - April 5th, 2021
- Global Building Automation and Controls Market (2020 to 2027) - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Strategy Analytics: Automation, IoT, Cloud and 5G Accelerate the Growth of Unified Endpoint Security Adoption - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Latest innovative report on Robotic Process Automation in Finance Market by 2026 with top key players like WorkFusion, Automation Anywhere, Blue... - April 5th, 2021
- DIY Home Automation Market Research Report 2021 | Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trend and Top Key Players KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - April 5th, 2021
- Making It Work: Automation firm stays sharp with robotics for use in pharma industry - Business Post - April 5th, 2021
- The Evolution of Automation Technologies - Security Boulevard - February 17th, 2021
- Automation in the Age of COVID-19 - Advanced Manufacturing - February 17th, 2021
- Analysts need advanced automation tools to reduce fear of missing incidents - Help Net Security - Help Net Security - February 17th, 2021
- Salesforce: Combining AI and automation can give us superpowers and make us more productive - ZDNet - February 17th, 2021
- Notable Health seeks to improve COVID-19 vaccine administration through intelligent automation - TechCrunch - February 17th, 2021
- 3 Ways Intelligent Process Automation (IPA) is Knocking at the Doors of the Recruitment World - BBN Times - February 17th, 2021
- Automation in Retail to scale new heights and pave way for dynamism - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - February 17th, 2021
- How to automate while maintaining security and compliance | SC Media - SC Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- 3D-Printing Is Speeding Up the Automation of Construction - Metropolis - Metropolis Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- The 58th Design Automation Conference Has Been Rescheduled for December 2021 - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- Explosion Proof Equipment in Automation and Control Systems Market In Depth Research Report 2021-2026 by Regional Analysis and Key Players Profiles |... - February 17th, 2021
- Verizon targets robot automation with Incubed IT deal - Mobile World Live - February 17th, 2021
- OPEX Corporation Unveils New Branding to Highlight Automation Technology Innovation - IT News Online - February 17th, 2021
- Lab Automation Workcells Market Overview By Trends, Industry Top Manufactures, Size, Industry Growth Analysis & Forecast Till 2026 KSU | The... - February 17th, 2021
- ActiveCampaign furthers commitment to customer success by bringing together 500+ automation recipes with 125+ new email design templates - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Increase Resource Efficiencies and Revenue with Automation - Lexology - February 17th, 2021
- Leading Demand Generation Company Switches to TEB Business Automation from Salesforce - IT News Online - February 17th, 2021
- Building Automation System Market 2021 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - February 17th, 2021
- Industry Insights: The future of camera control and automation - NewscastStudio - February 17th, 2021
- Best Research Report on Global Industrial Wireless Automation Market with New Business Opportunities by Forecast to 2027 | Siemens, Honeywell... - February 17th, 2021
- More automated traffic enforcement could come to Arlington in the name of social justice - FOX 5 DC - February 17th, 2021
- Harting hosts industrial automation webinar series - Foodprocessing - February 17th, 2021
- Salesforce offers intelligent document automation in conjunction with AWS tool - Healthcare IT News - February 17th, 2021
- Automation Wont Take All The Manufacturing Jobs And Covid Proves It. Heres How - Forbes - February 4th, 2021
- CAQH 2020 Index: Automating Healthcare Administrative Transactions Has Reduced Annual Costs by $122 Billion, $16.3 Billion More Can Be Saved Through... - February 4th, 2021
- Nigeria: Munich Re bets on automation to strengthen the insurance market - The Africa Report - February 4th, 2021
- Digitalization and Manufacturing Automation to Drive the High-performance Plastics Market to $2 Billion by 2027 - PR Newswire India - February 4th, 2021
- Research shows that automation can make recruitment more human - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Helsinki accelerates AI and automation in city services - Cities Today - February 4th, 2021