Miners at the underground Syama gold mine in the Malian desert are of a different kind. Gone are the days of descending in elevator shafts to toil with picks and shovels. The 1,500 workers at this state-of-the-art subterranean mine are as likely to be dressed in office wear as overalls and hobnail boots.
Owned by Australia-based Resolute Mining, the $223-million site is the worlds first fully automated mine. Equipped with everything from driverless trucks to robotic drills, the mine operates 24/7 and is up to 30 per cent more efficient than conventional mining operations.
Mining automation is taking off at pace around the world, but what are its implications for workers? Does its spell the end for soot-faced mine workers and, if so, what does the future hold for them?
John Welborn makes no bones about the fact that mining is entering an epoch-changing moment, yet Resolute Minings chief executive only sees advantages for workers. Automation offers jobs that are safer, higher skilled, longer lasting and, thanks to efficiency gains, better paid, he insists.
Because automation was built into the creation of the Syama gold mine, the threat of job losses hasnt arisen. That said, Mr Welborn concedes that mining companies looking to shift to more automated systems have an obligation to invest in training up new employees and retraining existing workers.
We need to work across sectors in new ways to equip people with the skills they will need in an increasingly uncertain future
Again, he is characteristically upbeat about the prospects of doing so. By way of illustration, he cites his octogenarian mother who, although once unable to even operate a video recorder, now uses a smartphone with ease. What has changed, he suggests, is the intuitive nature of modern technology.
He goes on to note that all 16 senior managers at the Syama underground mine were initially expats. Four years on, six are Malian. The remaining ten, meanwhile, have instructions to train up eventual local replacements within the next 36 months.
Such inclusion of local people is vital if the mining sector is to maintain its social contract, argues Nicky Black, director of social and economic development at the International Council on Mining and Metals, who says local communities rightly expect to benefit from mining automation.
Meeting this expectation will require proactive steps by the industrys big players. We will need to work across sectors in new ways to equip people with the skills they will need in an increasingly uncertain future, she says.
Initial moves are already afoot. The government of Western Australia, for example, has a memorandum of understanding in place with COMESA (the trade bloc for eastern and southern Africa) that includes provisions to transfer mining-related knowledge and training.
Individual companies are also taking a lead. A case in point in Sandvik. The Swedish engineering firm, which is behind much of the automated tech in the Syama gold mine, offers its new clients a combination of classroom training, high-tech simulators and hands-on instruction. Mastering its automation system only takes a couple of weeks, according to the Riku Pulli, Sandviks vice president of business unit automation.
Rio Tinto is another company addressing the pending skills gap. The London-listed mining giant, which operates a Centre for Mine Automation in Sydney, recently announced a 5.26-million education programme with startup accelerator BlueChilli and Amazon Web Services.
The four-year initiative aims to help school-age learners across Australia acquire work-related digital skills, such as systems design and data analytics. The focus on transferrable skills, rather than mining-specific aptitudes, marks a tacit acceptance of the role that mining companies have in preparing workers for jobs outside, as well as inside, the sector.
Capturing the technology and knowledge spillovers from the mining automation process is especially critical for resource-dependent emerging economies, says technology innovation expert Nahom Ghebrihiwet.
Host countries should aim to convince international mining companies to establish research hubs and encourage mining firms to collaborate with local knowledge institutions, he says.
Creating such hubs will not be straightforward, Dr Ghebrihiwet concedes, although he points to the United Nations-backed African Minerals Development Centre (AMDC) in Addis Ababa as a good place to start. If successful, such alliances can help create spin-off firms that can in turn provide high-tech services to the mining industry as well as other sectors.
In low-income, resource-rich African countries, it will obviously be difficult to establish such research hubs. However, organisations such as the AMDC could help establish pan-African centres of excellence.
While the Syama gold mine proves that an inclusive approach to automated mining is possible, workers remain understandably nervous about the future. Coal India, for example, alone employs nearly 300,000 people. If mining automation affects just a fraction of these jobs, the investment required for retraining will be vast.
Even with the right training, mine workers will be disappointed if they expect a like-for-like swap in their employment. Truck drivers most likely wont be overseeing the truck fleet once it is fully automated. Instead, the promise of automation is new jobs will emerge in areas such as mine maintenance, information processing and data science.
It is futile to try to halt mining automation, especially given the improved safety it offers, says Jeff Geipel, managing director of Canadian non-profit initiative Mining Shared Value. Yet the harsh reality is direct employment at mines is destined to dwindle. So governments and industry will have to be creative to address this, Mr Geipel concludes.
- The Army turns to automation for officer assignments - Defense Systems - February 12th, 2020
- AI And Automation: Together Forever? - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Viewpoint: How Automation is Digitally Transforming the Insurance Industry - Claims Journal - February 12th, 2020
- Ponemon Institute Report Finds Security Automation Continues to Reshape Hiring Trends Year-by-year - Chinook Observer - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Is Probably Coming for Your Job Too - GQ - February 12th, 2020
- Survey: Firms trend towards automation - Bangkok Post - February 12th, 2020
- AI, automation, and the cybersecurity skills gap - VentureBeat - February 12th, 2020
- SaltStack Infrastructure Automation Now Integrated with Tenable.io for Closed-Loop Vulnerability Remediation - The Herald Journal - February 12th, 2020
- 2020 State of Branding Report Reveals Marketers Divided Over Automation's Role in Branding - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - February 12th, 2020
- TD Bank: Automation and mobile apps inevitable for the restaurant industry - Tech Wire Asia - February 12th, 2020
- Demand for Fast Deployment and Ease-of-Use Drives AP Automation to the Cloud - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 12th, 2020
- Feb. 20: CLC to host author John Wasik for automation talk - Patch.com - February 12th, 2020
- WorkFusion Named No. 1 for Intelligence and Overall Innovation in Robotic Process Automation (RPA) by HFS Research - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- CAN in Automation at Embedded World 2020 - Embedded Computing Design - February 12th, 2020
- Making the Most of AI and Automation: Steps to success - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial automation technology trends 2020 - Verdict - February 12th, 2020
- Dassault Systmes announces expanded 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS offerings - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- HANNOVER MESSE 2020 to focus on 5G, industrial climate protection - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- Global Process Automation Market: 2020 Global Trend and 2025 Forecast Research Report on Demands, Business Analysis - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Software Market Latest Trends , Size, Share, Types, Technical Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive... - February 12th, 2020
- Workstream, A Staffing Automation Startup, Helps Small Businesses Hire Hourly Workers - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Puts Reply Guys Out of Work in Fake Social Media App Botnet - VICE - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Market Boosting the Manufacturing Industry Worldwide - Robotics Tomorrow - February 12th, 2020
- Epiroc and ASI Mining to automate Roy Hill haul truck fleet - International Mining - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Solutions Market in the Oil and Gas Industry 2020-2024 | Rise in the Global Demand for Oil and Gas to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- Automated oil and gas well control - Engineer Live - February 12th, 2020
- 32% of jobs in 'red wall' seats at risk of automation by early 2030s - LabourList - February 12th, 2020
- Picking the Right Automation Tool for the Job - No Jitter - February 7th, 2020
- Have robots grounded the flying geese? Automation and offshoring in the manufacturing sector - Brookings Institution - February 7th, 2020
- How to get started with automation: A Red Hat exec offers advice - TechRepublic - February 7th, 2020
- Tenjin is releasing a new set of automation APIs and making it free - Pocket Gamer.Biz - February 7th, 2020
- Frost Radar in the Industrial Automation Market - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Intellecta AI-Driven And Multichannel Analytics From OnviSource Delivers Automation For Workforce Optimization, CX Management And Content Management -... - February 7th, 2020
- The Challenge of Automation in Strawberries - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - February 7th, 2020
- Automation as a Service Market by Component, Business Function, Enterprise Size, and Industry Vertical: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry... - February 7th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market Procurement Intelligence Report | Evolving Opportunities with Blue Prism and UiPath in the Robotic Process... - February 7th, 2020
- Intelligent Automation Will Boost India's Economy to US 5 Trillion By 2024-25 - THE WEEK - February 7th, 2020
- The Age of Automation is coming to a MLB strike zone near you - Motor City Bengals - February 7th, 2020
- Benefits and challenges of automated processes for wildlife trade in poor countries - Trade for Development News - February 7th, 2020
- How automated workflows increase the capacity and scale of a - SelectScience - February 7th, 2020
- Savesor Presents a KNX Hotel Automation Kit and Innovative Bundle for Airbnb Hosts at ISE 2020 - KNXtoday - February 7th, 2020
- Watch how to program automation in Ableton Live 10 - MusicTech - February 7th, 2020
- Perfecto by Perforce Releases 2020 State of Test Automation Report - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Zapier now connects 2,000+ apps--more than any other automation tool - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Iris Automation Announces First Beyond-Visual-Line-of-Sight (BVLOS) Drone Waiver In South Africa - PRNewswire - February 7th, 2020
- Vineland names new head of automation - Greenhouse Canada - February 7th, 2020
- Automation Anywhere Backing Arrow McLaren SP - SPEED SPORT - February 7th, 2020
- CRM's 'Automated Virtual Agents': Coming Soon to an Office Near You - Toolbox - February 7th, 2020
- Even With Industry 4.0, Sometimes The Best Level Of Automation Is None - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- What we can do to make sure automation doesn't negatively affect the work force - TNW - January 5th, 2020
- Automation and Public Policy - State of the Planet - January 5th, 2020
- In 2020, AI to enable acceleration from automation to autonomy, say experts - Robot Report - January 5th, 2020
- Improving Your Manufacturing Productivity and Quality with CMM Networking and Automation - Quality Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Listen to top VCs discuss the next generation of automation startups at TC Sessions: Robotics+AI - TechCrunch - January 5th, 2020
- How the most vulnerable workers to job automation can adapt - Yahoo Money - January 5th, 2020
- DevOps The Troubles Of Automating All The Things - JAXenter - January 5th, 2020
- The unsettling grip of the automated gods | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport Sun-Gazette - January 5th, 2020
- Automation and AI will launch a golden age of marketing - The Drum - January 5th, 2020
- Hashtag Trending Automation predictions for 2020 - ITBusiness.ca - January 5th, 2020
- Stories that will define the next decade: Automation will likely cause changes to the ports of LA, Long Beach - The Daily Breeze - January 5th, 2020
- True automation, a bigger streaming revolution: Tech that will take over our lives this year - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market Size, Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast to 2026 - ReportsPioneer - January 5th, 2020
- Home Automation Is Taking Control On The Upper Cape - CapeNews.net - January 5th, 2020
- Despite Chaotic Year, Automation, AI Offer Benefits to Indian IT Industry - Analytics Insight - January 5th, 2020
- How AI may be the key to future-proofing jobs at risk of being automated - Employee Benefit News - January 5th, 2020
- The End of the Road for Spreadsheets? - Automation World - January 5th, 2020
- What is Automation | IBM - December 31st, 2019
- Automation benefits and costs - Economics Help - December 31st, 2019
- Save 15% on Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - December 31st, 2019
- Pricing - Automation | Microsoft Azure - December 31st, 2019
- Automation | Definition of Automation at Dictionary.com - December 31st, 2019
- What is Automation?- ISA - December 31st, 2019
- Using robotic process automation to manage revenue cycles - Healthcare IT News - December 31st, 2019
- Guest Post: Why 2020 Will be Better Than 2019 in Automation - Robotics Business Review - December 31st, 2019
- 5 Robotic Process Automation Trends To Look For In 2020 - Inc42 Media - December 31st, 2019
- Vanguard: automation is great until it doesn't work - FX Week - December 31st, 2019
- Crestview Weighed IPO of JR Automation Before Clinching $1.4 Billion Sale - Barron's - December 31st, 2019
- What Jobs Will be Lost to Automation? - San Diego Entertainer Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Energy Asset Performance Management to Take on Automation - IoT World Today - December 31st, 2019
- How to get started with HomeKit home automation - Cult of Mac - December 31st, 2019