Of all the changes that technology has brought to our lives in recent years, the complete transformation in the way we work is perhaps the most striking. Its predicted that within the next five years,RPA will have achieved almost universal adoption, automating the repetitive tasks currently carried out by human workers. This makes RPA thefastest growing sectorfor enterprise software in the world soon, software bots or digital workers will be a standard part of our teams, working alongside us all.
As we prepare ourselves for this future of work where humanity and technology overlap more closely, there are corporate ethical issues to address. How can we navigate conflicts arising from the use of digital workers, and how will they serve society as a whole?
Here are three recommendations that business leaders should keep in mind to ensure an ethical deployment of artificial intelligence (AI) and automation, and to achieve a positive impact on the organisation from these technologies.
Prioritise diversity.Digital workers can bring about changes to the paradigm of modern work, bringing with them a monumental shift in trust. Not only is this technology new, but it promises to disrupt nearly every existing industry delivering a set of trust issues unique to automation and AI.
Diversity is the single most important factor in how automation and AI will transform society. It will impact not only those creating and using the technology but also the people affected by the algorithms generated so the gender gap that the AI industry faces must be closed, fast.
The World Economic Forum reports that just22 per cent of AI professionalsare women, and according to research commissioned by Automation Anywhere, womenface a higher risk of being negativelyimpacted by AI and automation technology. Lack of diversity allows the cultivation of biases and narrows the application area of new technologies to the challenges they were intended to solve. But, in contrast, diverse thinking at the highest levels of the industry can help promote innovation and make sure that these technologies are used to benefit different groups and demographics.
My advice to business leaders? Hire more women. Hire people from diverse backgrounds. Hire people with perspectives that dont match your own. By listening to what others have to say, we all have an opportunity to gain valuable insight and capabilities.
Put human values first.Bots are made by humans and are only as moral and ethical as the humans behind the strategic decision making. Bots dont have thoughts, feelings or empathy of their own. So how do you teach a bot to behave?
Ultimately, it comes down to the human behind the algorithm. Businesses must understand the irreplaceable value of human workers, their empathy, kindness, joy, respect, creativity and passion. This must be at the forefront of strategic decision making on the ethics of the future of work.
The economic benefit of digital workers is undeniable its found in the increased productivity, fewer errors and lower costs of a digitally augmented workforce. It is by sustaining our human values that we determine where workers will put the time they save: towards ventures that can never be automated, such as applying human ingenuity, tenacity and creativity towards economic growth and societys most pressing issues.
Educate for the digital workforce. As with many challenges humanity faces, tackling the future of work begins with education. According to theWorld Economic Forum, by 2022 new technology will create 133 million new jobs compared with 75 million declining roles. Key to these jobs will be skills like analytical thinking, creativity and complex problem-solving over abilities like manual dexterity, memory and reading comprehension.
The task of preparing the world for the future workforce doesnt just fall to academic institutions. Businesses must help todays employees adapt and thrive in this new economic structure by investing in reskilling programs that equip them for this new world. For example, atAutomation Anywhere Universitywe have trained more than 350,000 developers, business analysts, partners and students in RPA. Imagine the impact if every major company launched similar programs a workforce well-positioned for the 133 million new jobs of tomorrow.
We must hold ourselves accountable for the ethical deployment of AI and automation, prioritise people over profit, diversity over the status quo and always practice the greatest benefit for the highest number of workers. If we can hold true to these values, I believe the legacy of these technologies will be one of prosperity and human progress.
By Neeti Mehta, SVP and Co-Founder of Automation Anywhere
Read the original post:
- Automation | Definition of Automation by Merriam-Webster - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation | Definition of Automation at Dictionary.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation (2019) - IMDb - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - Advantages and disadvantages of automation ... - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - April 2nd, 2020
- Bridging the Network Automation Skills Gap - DevOps.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Yard work: Automation strolls out the warehouse door - ZDNet - April 2nd, 2020
- Five Steps To Get Started With Robotic Automation - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- ValueLink drives efficiency in the valuation process through a combination of automation, AI and analytics - HousingWire - April 2nd, 2020
- Bosses speed up automation as virus keeps workers home - The Guardian - April 2nd, 2020
- What is Feature Engineering and Why Does It Need To Be Automated? - Datanami - April 2nd, 2020
- Parascript and Le Mans Tech Partner to Offer Integrated Automation Solutions to Small and Midsize Banks - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Smartly.io Powers Digital Advertising Innovation and Automation on Pinterest - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2020
- Overcoming the challenges of intelligent automation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Will the COVID-19 Pandemic Promote Mass Automation? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - April 2nd, 2020
- Attractive Opportunities in Automation - Morningstar - April 2nd, 2020
- Automating with a solid foundation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Industry could fast-track automation amid COVID-19 fallout - www.mining-journal.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Building automation to generate $44bn in revenue per annum - Smart Energy - April 2nd, 2020
- The Idea Behind Automating Your Commissions - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Why Intelligent Automation is the Need of the Hour - CXOToday.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Using RPA to automate internal audits where to start - TechHQ - April 2nd, 2020
- Scaling Bakery Production with Automated Mixing | 2020-04-01 - Baking Business - April 2nd, 2020
- Virtual assistant 'Larry the Chat Bot' brings automated solution... - Hays Free Press - April 2nd, 2020
- Aleyant Celebrates 15 Years of Innovation in Automated Print Software - Industry Analysts Inc - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation Anywhere helps deliver business continuity with RPA industry's first bot security program - Continuity Central - April 2nd, 2020
- Java vs. Python for test automation? Why Ruby is the better choice - TechBeacon - April 2nd, 2020
- Aido Technologies Launches Free Use of AI-Powered Automated CPT and Diagnosis Coding During the US Response to COVID-19 - Associated Press - April 2nd, 2020
- Automating with a solid foundation - ITProPortal - March 31st, 2020
- Five Steps To Get Started With Robotic Automation - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- Bosses speed up automation as virus keeps workers home - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- How automation is speeding delivery of COVID-19 results to hospitals - TechRepublic - March 31st, 2020
- Reevaluating the Conversation on Automation and the Future of Work - Georgetown Public Policy Review - Georgetown Public Policy Review - March 31st, 2020
- Using RPA to automate internal audits where to start - TechHQ - March 31st, 2020
- What will drive the future of automation? - Essential Install - March 31st, 2020
- Home Working Causes Bosses to Increase Automation - DIGIT.FYI - March 31st, 2020
- Load.ng commits to leveraging Tech for Bitcoin to Naira Exchange Automation. - Techpoint Africa - March 31st, 2020
- news digest: Automation Anywhere's Bot Security, Linux 5.6, and the IntelliSense Code Linter for C++ - SD Times - SDTimes.com - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Pushes Logistic Automation up the Agenda - Sea News - March 31st, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA): Is It Recession Proof? - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- How AI+Automation Can Transform Tedious Office-Tasks? - Analytics Insight - March 16th, 2020
- Software release cycles accelerate, but automation is not keeping up - ZDNet - March 16th, 2020
- Wannabe Wired: Don't fear the (automated) reaper - The Lawton Constitution - March 16th, 2020
- Study Shows 93% of Employees Believe Process Automation Will Make Jobs Easier - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- Centralizing Your Systems - Automation World - March 16th, 2020
- Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 16th, 2020
- Smart bathrooms have been around since the 1980s. But do they help against coronavirus? - NorthJersey.com - March 16th, 2020
- How do financial advisors stay relevant in the age of automation? - Moneyweb.co.za - March 16th, 2020
- How SEOs can benefit from using AI and automation - Econsultancy - March 16th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market World Informing, Growth Analysis And Opportunities Outlook 2020 To 2026 - News Times - March 16th, 2020
- Digital Transformation: UAE Banking Executive Explains How Fintech, AI, Robotic Process Automation is Transforming Finance Sector - Crowdfund Insider - March 16th, 2020
- Why robotic process automation (RPA) is the perfect technology for logistics - FreightWaves - March 16th, 2020
- Research Predicts Automated Deliveries Will Generate up to $48.4B in Revenue by 2030 - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- SOARIZON by Thales and Iris Automation announce partnership - sUAS News - March 16th, 2020
- This husband-wife duos startup helps companies automate their workflows - YourStory - March 16th, 2020
- Why Police Love the Idea of Automated Content Moderation - Slate - March 16th, 2020
- Smart Elevator Automation System Market 2019 Trends, Size, Segments, Emerging Technologies and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2023 - Packaging News 24 - March 16th, 2020
- Connectivity is the key to early wins in connected and automated mobility - FleetNews - March 16th, 2020
- 2.7m Aussie jobs at risk of automation - ACS - March 16th, 2020
- Bots bring automation to the war on data entry - C4ISRNet - March 16th, 2020
- Will The Tesla Model Y Allow Fully Automated Production To Happen? - InsideEVs - March 16th, 2020
- Bolt-on Software and Automation Technologies Showcased at MODEX - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Helping workers survive automation - Bangkok Post - March 11th, 2020
- AI and Automation in the Workplace - Electropages - March 11th, 2020
- Packsize and 6 River Systems Collaborate on Next-generation Warehouse Automation Technology at MODEX - DC Velocity - March 11th, 2020
- Automation startup Zinier raises $90 million to expand in Brazil - Capacity Media - March 11th, 2020
- Don't miss the big Brexit automation opportunity to improve digital skills - Information Age - March 11th, 2020
- Why enterprises are turning to partnership automation - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 11th, 2020
- Kryon Solidifies Leadership in Singapore's Robotic Process Automation Marketplace With Government Accreditation From IMDA - PRNewswire - March 11th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to automate data extraction from geotagged images - Geospatial World - March 11th, 2020
- Royal Society of Arts calls for training amid automation rise - The National - March 11th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling Market Expected to Grow with a CAGR of 11.30% During the Forecast Period, 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - March 11th, 2020
- New and notable: Automation and AI - Greenhouse Canada - March 11th, 2020
- Call Center Automation Depends on Collaborative AI - Customer Think - March 11th, 2020
- Process Automation Software Market (2020 To 2027) is booming worldwide with Adobe, AppSheet, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism - News Times - March 11th, 2020
- Munich Re Automation Solutions on the rise of the insurtech sector - Insurance Business - March 11th, 2020
- APAC Automation & Control Systems Market in the Upstream Oil & Gas Industry, Forecast to 2023 - Positive Market Sentiments Point to Slow... - March 6th, 2020
- Microsoft Goes All-In On RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - March 6th, 2020
- Aging and automation shaping workforce, labor secretary tells Worcester business group - Worcester Telegram - March 6th, 2020
- How automation is taking some of the burden for healthcare workers - Tech Wire Asia - March 6th, 2020