The Innovation Institute, a for-profit company owned by six not-for-profit health systems, has entered into a co-development agreement with robotic process automation company Olive.
The partnership, announced Tuesday, is run through the Innovation Institute's healthcare incubator subsidiary, called the Innovation Lab.
The Innovation Lab will work with Olive to co-develop and commercialize new products using Olive's existing automation toolset, drawing on problems identified by clinicians, back-office staff and other employees who work at the health systems in the Innovation Institute's network. The Innovation Lab will also support pilots of the new products at the health systems.
The Innovation Institute, launched in 2013, counts six not-for-profit health systems as equity investors: Bon Secours Mercy Health in Cincinnati; Children's Health Orange (Calif.) County; Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System in Baton Rouge, La.; Avera Health in Sioux Falls, S.D.; Valley Children's Healthcare in Madera, Calif.; and MultiCare in Tacoma, Wash.
It also has one affiliate health system, Renton, Wash.-based Providence, that pays an annual subscription fee to be part of the Innovation Lab.
The Innovation Lab's partnership with Olive grew out of conversations with healthcare workers who shared ideas that would need automation and artificial intelligence technology to develop, according to Ryan Kelly, general manager at the Innovation Lab.
"We were sourcing a lot of areas and opportunities that would really benefit from an AI platform," Kelly said. "As opposed to us building our own we started looking for a partner."
The partner they chose, Olive, develops tools that automate or support various payer and provider workflows, such checking claims status and streamlining prior authorization. The Innovation Institute started investing in Olive a few years ago through the company's healthcare fund, a venture fund that invests in early growth-stage startups through venture-capital firm LRVHealth.
The Innovation Lab will bring its "clinical and operational know-how" to the co-development process, while Olive will bring the "muscle" to build the technology, Kelly said.
A co-development partnership "certainly saves hospitals from having to build their own automation capabilities," said Mark Snyder, director of people and productivity at consulting firm West Monroe. But "automation tools are very much tied to a hospital's unique processes," so often require some customization.
Automation encompasses a range of capabilities, from technologies that handle specific tasks to full-blown AI that crunches data to help make decisions.
A common type of automation technology used in healthcare is robotic process automation, which typically involves using bots to plug data from one system into another without human intervention.
Such bots take on the "rote, repeatable" transactions that "don't require critical thinking," Snyder said, and are often used for tasks like claims management.
AI takes on more complex tasks, since the technology is able to work with unstructured data and draw out insights from patterns.
Unlike RPA, which tends to center on back-office functions, AI use cases "typically can go further and deeper into the front-end interaction with the member or the patient," said Dion Sheidy, a healthcare advisory leader at consulting firm KPMG, such as through informing care delivery and improving patient experience.
Healthcare AI companies raised a record $2.5 billion in funding in 2021's first quarter, according to data compiled by CB Insights, with startups that tackle back-office automation attracting major investments. Infinitus Systems, a company that uses AI to automate phone calls for clinicians, raised $21.4 million in the quarter; revenue-cycle management startup Akasa raised $60 million.
Olive, which was founded in 2012, last week announced it had reached a $4 billion valuation after raising $400 million in its latest funding round.
The Innovation Lab and Olive likely will share ownership of the products they develop, although ownership may vary depending on the product and how much development is needed.
The companies will sell co-developed tools to Olive's customer base and promote the tools to the Innovation Lab's members. The Innovation Lab and Olive will share revenue from co-developed tools that are brought to market; the Innovation Lab will also share a portion of its commercialization revenue with the health system that surfaced the idea.
The Innovation Lab's model typically involves sharing 40% of commercialization revenue with the person who created the initial idea and 20% with that innovator's health system.
The Innovation Institute's equity investorsthe six health systemsalso receive a share of the company's profitswhich include revenue from the Innovation Lab, the company's venture fund and its portfolio companiesbased on their level of investment.
The minimum investment required to be member owner of the Innovation Institute is $10 million, according to the company's website.
The Innovation Lab and Olive so far are evaluating a half dozen ideas for possible co-developed products. One of the first projects they're considering is whether Olive can help to scale and add automation to a platform for case managers already launched through the Innovation Lab, called Koazie.
"That's one of the things that we're evaluating," Kelly said. "With any partnership like this, we're really striving for that first 'win' that we can build from and use as a cornerstone for the partnership."
See more here:
- Oil & Gas Pipeline and Transportation Automation Market in Industrial Machinery Industry to grow by $ 742.43 million| Emerging Trends, Company... - July 12th, 2021
- Labor shortage will lead to more automation, & responsible teens - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 12th, 2021
- System Integration Services Market for Industrial Automation in India to reach USD 420.53 million| Discover Company Insights in Technavio - KPVI News... - July 12th, 2021
- Exclusive: TikTok introducing more automation to video removals - Axios - July 12th, 2021
- The Rise of Automation in Analytical Science - Technology Networks - July 12th, 2021
- Worldwide Industrial Automation Industry to 2027 - Growing Number of SMEs Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Robotic Process Automation Sweeps Across the Healthcare Industry - Electronic Design - July 12th, 2021
- Everyone's Talking Automation: What does HR Software Really Do? - State-Journal.com - July 12th, 2021
- The pandemic has brought more automation, which could have long-term impacts for workers. - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Shanghai Targets 47 Million TEU Annually Through Growth and Automation - The Maritime Executive - July 12th, 2021
- Restaurants are starting to hire robots instead of people who are demanding higher pay - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Provider-owned Innovation Lab partners with Olive to build automation tools - MedCity News - July 12th, 2021
- The lab automation market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.53% during 2021-2026 - GlobeNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Real estate is a people business, but automation can help - HousingWire - July 12th, 2021
- Home Automation For Fans Of Quick-and-Dirty Solutions - Hackaday - July 12th, 2021
- Remote Access in the Continuous Processing Industry Take Five with Automation World - Automation World - July 12th, 2021
- Banking CFOs need to step up efforts in ESG, automation and crypto support - Accenture study - IT Brief Australia - July 12th, 2021
- Automation Market in Textile Industry: Forecast of Healthy YoY Growth Rate at 1.20% - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Insights on the Industrial Automation Global Market to 2027 - Featuring ABB, Siemens and Schneider Electric Among Others - Yahoo Finance - July 12th, 2021
- OMD Sees Campaign Results Skyrocket by Using IAS Automated Tag with Google - Yahoo Finance - July 12th, 2021
- Adding Automation to PRNT's 3D Printing Thesis - ETF Trends - July 12th, 2021
- WISeKey combats cybercrime with HIRO Cybersecurity Knowledge Automation, the first ever integrated cybersecurity automation solution which uses... - July 12th, 2021
- Restaurant owner: Automated drive-thrus trump $15 wages for business - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Introducing FlexRule X, the Next Generation of End-to-End Decision Automation Platform: Ready for Early Access - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Network Automation Market to Hit USD 22.58 Billion by 2027 Backed by Increasing Adoption of Connected Devices Worldwide, reports Fortune Business... - July 12th, 2021
- Building Competitive Advantage With Automation - Broadband Communities - April 5th, 2021
- What Do We Mean by Automation? - Forbes - April 5th, 2021
- NG automation to catapult productivity and profitability with edge computing - FutureIoT - April 5th, 2021
- How automating and streamlining can provide a treasure trove of data - Smart Business Network - April 5th, 2021
- Addressing great need for automation of composites - Advanced Manufacturing - April 5th, 2021
- NASAs small business picks take on automation in space - TechCrunch - April 5th, 2021
- Cockpit automation leading to airline industry complacency - Airline Ratings - April 5th, 2021
- HAL in Permian Automation Breakthrough and More - Rigzone News - April 5th, 2021
- Worldwide Robotic Process Automation Industry (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Automation Anywhere, NICE and Blue Prism Among Others -... - April 5th, 2021
- Deloitte and UiPath Team on Intelligent Automation Solutions Built for the Oracle ERP Platform - PRNewswire - April 5th, 2021
- The benefits of hyper-automation for banking - Finextra - Finextra - April 5th, 2021
- Test automation tools: 8 trends and techniques to watch - TechBeacon - April 5th, 2021
- CrowdStrike Releases 2021 Cybersecurity Global Threat Report - Automation World - April 5th, 2021
- Is the Future of Manufacturing Automated or Autonomous? - Entrepreneur - April 5th, 2021
- Diving Into the Boost for Automation in the Claims and Appraisal Process - glassBYTEs - April 5th, 2021
- How does your company help customers with their automated testing initiatives? - SDTimes.com - April 5th, 2021
- 78% of IT Leaders Plan to Increase Spending on Automation Initiatives Post-Pandemic - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- As Automation Expands in the Nordic Region, Look to 'GXF' - ETF Trends - April 5th, 2021
- Rockwell Automation Stock Appears To Be Significantly Overvalued - Yahoo Finance - April 5th, 2021
- Klaviyo Unveils New Marketing Automation Innovations with Personalized Benchmarks Tool and Conversational SMS - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Save Time & Money With Automated Password Resets - Security Boulevard - April 5th, 2021
- Global Building Automation and Controls Market (2020 to 2027) - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Strategy Analytics: Automation, IoT, Cloud and 5G Accelerate the Growth of Unified Endpoint Security Adoption - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Latest innovative report on Robotic Process Automation in Finance Market by 2026 with top key players like WorkFusion, Automation Anywhere, Blue... - April 5th, 2021
- DIY Home Automation Market Research Report 2021 | Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trend and Top Key Players KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - April 5th, 2021
- Making It Work: Automation firm stays sharp with robotics for use in pharma industry - Business Post - April 5th, 2021
- The Evolution of Automation Technologies - Security Boulevard - February 17th, 2021
- Automation in the Age of COVID-19 - Advanced Manufacturing - February 17th, 2021
- Analysts need advanced automation tools to reduce fear of missing incidents - Help Net Security - Help Net Security - February 17th, 2021
- Salesforce: Combining AI and automation can give us superpowers and make us more productive - ZDNet - February 17th, 2021
- Notable Health seeks to improve COVID-19 vaccine administration through intelligent automation - TechCrunch - February 17th, 2021
- 3 Ways Intelligent Process Automation (IPA) is Knocking at the Doors of the Recruitment World - BBN Times - February 17th, 2021
- Automation in Retail to scale new heights and pave way for dynamism - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - February 17th, 2021
- How to automate while maintaining security and compliance | SC Media - SC Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- 3D-Printing Is Speeding Up the Automation of Construction - Metropolis - Metropolis Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- The 58th Design Automation Conference Has Been Rescheduled for December 2021 - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- Explosion Proof Equipment in Automation and Control Systems Market In Depth Research Report 2021-2026 by Regional Analysis and Key Players Profiles |... - February 17th, 2021
- Verizon targets robot automation with Incubed IT deal - Mobile World Live - February 17th, 2021
- OPEX Corporation Unveils New Branding to Highlight Automation Technology Innovation - IT News Online - February 17th, 2021
- Lab Automation Workcells Market Overview By Trends, Industry Top Manufactures, Size, Industry Growth Analysis & Forecast Till 2026 KSU | The... - February 17th, 2021
- ActiveCampaign furthers commitment to customer success by bringing together 500+ automation recipes with 125+ new email design templates - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Increase Resource Efficiencies and Revenue with Automation - Lexology - February 17th, 2021
- Leading Demand Generation Company Switches to TEB Business Automation from Salesforce - IT News Online - February 17th, 2021
- Building Automation System Market 2021 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - February 17th, 2021
- Industry Insights: The future of camera control and automation - NewscastStudio - February 17th, 2021
- Best Research Report on Global Industrial Wireless Automation Market with New Business Opportunities by Forecast to 2027 | Siemens, Honeywell... - February 17th, 2021
- More automated traffic enforcement could come to Arlington in the name of social justice - FOX 5 DC - February 17th, 2021
- Harting hosts industrial automation webinar series - Foodprocessing - February 17th, 2021
- Salesforce offers intelligent document automation in conjunction with AWS tool - Healthcare IT News - February 17th, 2021
- Automation Wont Take All The Manufacturing Jobs And Covid Proves It. Heres How - Forbes - February 4th, 2021
- CAQH 2020 Index: Automating Healthcare Administrative Transactions Has Reduced Annual Costs by $122 Billion, $16.3 Billion More Can Be Saved Through... - February 4th, 2021
- Nigeria: Munich Re bets on automation to strengthen the insurance market - The Africa Report - February 4th, 2021
- Digitalization and Manufacturing Automation to Drive the High-performance Plastics Market to $2 Billion by 2027 - PR Newswire India - February 4th, 2021
- Research shows that automation can make recruitment more human - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Helsinki accelerates AI and automation in city services - Cities Today - February 4th, 2021