Subscribe toNewscastStudio's newsletter for the latest in broadcast design and engineering delivered to your inbox.
Last year saw an immediate shift in many broadcasters studio workflow due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This spring, well be looking at how the lessons from work from home and reduced staffing will impact future productions.
In this installment of our Industry Insights roundtable, our experts on camera robotics look into the broadcast control room of the future as well as the impact of PTZ cameras on production.
Make sure to read the rest of our Industry Insights series, including:
Although established for a long time, we do see further moves to full automation. Robotics need to be left to operate live on-air for long periods of time, perhaps with no operator or an operator carrying out several other critical roles. Shotoku now has an automatic face tracking system which makes that goal that a reality in many applications, said James Eddershaw, managing director at Shotoku Broadcast Systems.
The most significant change in workflow is going to be in higher degrees of automation, and closer integration with other studio systems. This will enable the team of studio operators to produce more content more efficiently, explained Vintens product manager, Neil Gardner.
Studio robotics will continue to get smarter, reducing the need for human intervention. Todays studio robots can recall any saved shot, quickly and accurately, which eliminates the need for a camera operator to manually position the camera. Systems are emerging that can automatically account for slight movements by the talent or perhaps different talent (height, hairstyle, etc. can affect the framing of the shot) from day to day. This is typically taken care of by the camera operator, whether through live adjustments while on-air, or by re-framing and updating the presets just before going on-air. If this can be done automatically, it further reduces the burden on the camera operator, potentially eliminating the need for a human camera operator during the production altogether, said Karen Walker, VP of camera motion systems atRoss Video.
This is particularly important in workflows that use production automation, where quite often the person responsible for running the automation system is also tasked with ensuring that the cameras are properly framed. As these automation systems become more adept at compensating not just small for movements for a subject sitting at a desk, but being able to create natural, smooth tracking shots for a subject that is moving around the set in an unscripted production such as a variety show or live event, they will further reduce our dependence on manual intervention, improving production quality and lowering operational expenses, continued Walker.
We envision a steady evolution towards fully automated production workflow that integrates robotic cameras, dollies, and sophisticated one-touch motion presets which include both PTZ and dolly position changes and speeds, predicted Rush Beesley, the president of Rushworks.
The control room of the future will have to be adaptable to its location and size. Having the flexibility of combining multiple pieces of equipment into a single panel is also critical when space is even more of a constraint (in a home control room for example), answered Michael Cuomo, VP at Telemetrics.
For those working in studios, safety and distancing are paramount and will continue to be in the future. Were already seeing this feedback from customers in the vein of camera control, as limited staff must rely on technology to streamline their workflows, said Bob Caniglia, director of sales operations forBlackmagic Design.
PTZ cameras have come a long way as it relates to image quality and VR output, but the limited lens and pan/tilt performance will continue to be a limiting factor in most broadcast environments, Eddershaw said.
For robotics camera control, an integrated PTZ is just another remote camera to operate. They offer a simple solution for more camera positions, especially supplemental positions which are less critical to program output, places where there is limited space or are more exposed than is appropriate for a full broadcast camera, lens and remote robotic support system. They are also ideal for quick, short-term installation in non-studio environments such as someone doing a broadcast from their home office, Gardner explained.
PTZ cameras are definitely having an impact on almost every market vertical when it comes to robotic camera systems. We are increasingly seeing them in broadcast studios around the world, as well as in other verticals where they are used extensively. While their performance and functionality continue to improve (as chip technology advances), there are still limitations that prevent them from completely taking over in all applications, said Walker.
We still see many instances where either their optical performance (focal length, low light performance, etc.) or functionality (limited ability for on-air movement) prevent them from meeting requirements, and customers opt for studio cameras and lenses. However, the increased adoption of these cameras cannot be overlooked, and as they improve and evolve, we can expect that they will continue to move into more and more applications, added Walker.
AI has been and will continue to be a big trend in the year ahead. Its being heavily integrated into our products to make them easier to use. The other big trend were seeing is remote setup and support. Before, we would always have to send out resources to get a system configured, but were doing more remote commissioning than ever before. This is a huge benefit because customers can get the same support that normally wouldve required on-site trained technical staff and also saves on travel costs. With remote training and troubleshooting, staff does not need to be as technical, especially when there is just a single person operating out of a home studio, Cuomo suggested.
James Eddershaw Shotoku Broadcast SystemsNeil Gardner VintenKaren Walker Ross VideoRush Beesley RushworksMichael Cuomo TelemetricsBob Caniglia Blackmagic Design
- Oil & Gas Pipeline and Transportation Automation Market in Industrial Machinery Industry to grow by $ 742.43 million| Emerging Trends, Company... - July 12th, 2021
- Labor shortage will lead to more automation, & responsible teens - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 12th, 2021
- System Integration Services Market for Industrial Automation in India to reach USD 420.53 million| Discover Company Insights in Technavio - KPVI News... - July 12th, 2021
- Exclusive: TikTok introducing more automation to video removals - Axios - July 12th, 2021
- The Rise of Automation in Analytical Science - Technology Networks - July 12th, 2021
- Innovation Institute incubator to co-develop automation tools with Olive - Modern Healthcare - July 12th, 2021
- Worldwide Industrial Automation Industry to 2027 - Growing Number of SMEs Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Robotic Process Automation Sweeps Across the Healthcare Industry - Electronic Design - July 12th, 2021
- Everyone's Talking Automation: What does HR Software Really Do? - State-Journal.com - July 12th, 2021
- The pandemic has brought more automation, which could have long-term impacts for workers. - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Shanghai Targets 47 Million TEU Annually Through Growth and Automation - The Maritime Executive - July 12th, 2021
- Restaurants are starting to hire robots instead of people who are demanding higher pay - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Provider-owned Innovation Lab partners with Olive to build automation tools - MedCity News - July 12th, 2021
- The lab automation market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.53% during 2021-2026 - GlobeNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Real estate is a people business, but automation can help - HousingWire - July 12th, 2021
- Home Automation For Fans Of Quick-and-Dirty Solutions - Hackaday - July 12th, 2021
- Remote Access in the Continuous Processing Industry Take Five with Automation World - Automation World - July 12th, 2021
- Banking CFOs need to step up efforts in ESG, automation and crypto support - Accenture study - IT Brief Australia - July 12th, 2021
- Automation Market in Textile Industry: Forecast of Healthy YoY Growth Rate at 1.20% - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Insights on the Industrial Automation Global Market to 2027 - Featuring ABB, Siemens and Schneider Electric Among Others - Yahoo Finance - July 12th, 2021
- OMD Sees Campaign Results Skyrocket by Using IAS Automated Tag with Google - Yahoo Finance - July 12th, 2021
- Adding Automation to PRNT's 3D Printing Thesis - ETF Trends - July 12th, 2021
- WISeKey combats cybercrime with HIRO Cybersecurity Knowledge Automation, the first ever integrated cybersecurity automation solution which uses... - July 12th, 2021
- Restaurant owner: Automated drive-thrus trump $15 wages for business - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Introducing FlexRule X, the Next Generation of End-to-End Decision Automation Platform: Ready for Early Access - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2021
- Network Automation Market to Hit USD 22.58 Billion by 2027 Backed by Increasing Adoption of Connected Devices Worldwide, reports Fortune Business... - July 12th, 2021
- Building Competitive Advantage With Automation - Broadband Communities - April 5th, 2021
- What Do We Mean by Automation? - Forbes - April 5th, 2021
- NG automation to catapult productivity and profitability with edge computing - FutureIoT - April 5th, 2021
- How automating and streamlining can provide a treasure trove of data - Smart Business Network - April 5th, 2021
- Addressing great need for automation of composites - Advanced Manufacturing - April 5th, 2021
- NASAs small business picks take on automation in space - TechCrunch - April 5th, 2021
- Cockpit automation leading to airline industry complacency - Airline Ratings - April 5th, 2021
- HAL in Permian Automation Breakthrough and More - Rigzone News - April 5th, 2021
- Worldwide Robotic Process Automation Industry (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Automation Anywhere, NICE and Blue Prism Among Others -... - April 5th, 2021
- Deloitte and UiPath Team on Intelligent Automation Solutions Built for the Oracle ERP Platform - PRNewswire - April 5th, 2021
- The benefits of hyper-automation for banking - Finextra - Finextra - April 5th, 2021
- Test automation tools: 8 trends and techniques to watch - TechBeacon - April 5th, 2021
- CrowdStrike Releases 2021 Cybersecurity Global Threat Report - Automation World - April 5th, 2021
- Is the Future of Manufacturing Automated or Autonomous? - Entrepreneur - April 5th, 2021
- Diving Into the Boost for Automation in the Claims and Appraisal Process - glassBYTEs - April 5th, 2021
- How does your company help customers with their automated testing initiatives? - SDTimes.com - April 5th, 2021
- 78% of IT Leaders Plan to Increase Spending on Automation Initiatives Post-Pandemic - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- As Automation Expands in the Nordic Region, Look to 'GXF' - ETF Trends - April 5th, 2021
- Rockwell Automation Stock Appears To Be Significantly Overvalued - Yahoo Finance - April 5th, 2021
- Klaviyo Unveils New Marketing Automation Innovations with Personalized Benchmarks Tool and Conversational SMS - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Save Time & Money With Automated Password Resets - Security Boulevard - April 5th, 2021
- Global Building Automation and Controls Market (2020 to 2027) - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Strategy Analytics: Automation, IoT, Cloud and 5G Accelerate the Growth of Unified Endpoint Security Adoption - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Latest innovative report on Robotic Process Automation in Finance Market by 2026 with top key players like WorkFusion, Automation Anywhere, Blue... - April 5th, 2021
- DIY Home Automation Market Research Report 2021 | Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trend and Top Key Players KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - April 5th, 2021
- Making It Work: Automation firm stays sharp with robotics for use in pharma industry - Business Post - April 5th, 2021
- The Evolution of Automation Technologies - Security Boulevard - February 17th, 2021
- Automation in the Age of COVID-19 - Advanced Manufacturing - February 17th, 2021
- Analysts need advanced automation tools to reduce fear of missing incidents - Help Net Security - Help Net Security - February 17th, 2021
- Salesforce: Combining AI and automation can give us superpowers and make us more productive - ZDNet - February 17th, 2021
- Notable Health seeks to improve COVID-19 vaccine administration through intelligent automation - TechCrunch - February 17th, 2021
- 3 Ways Intelligent Process Automation (IPA) is Knocking at the Doors of the Recruitment World - BBN Times - February 17th, 2021
- Automation in Retail to scale new heights and pave way for dynamism - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - February 17th, 2021
- How to automate while maintaining security and compliance | SC Media - SC Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- 3D-Printing Is Speeding Up the Automation of Construction - Metropolis - Metropolis Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- The 58th Design Automation Conference Has Been Rescheduled for December 2021 - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- Explosion Proof Equipment in Automation and Control Systems Market In Depth Research Report 2021-2026 by Regional Analysis and Key Players Profiles |... - February 17th, 2021
- Verizon targets robot automation with Incubed IT deal - Mobile World Live - February 17th, 2021
- OPEX Corporation Unveils New Branding to Highlight Automation Technology Innovation - IT News Online - February 17th, 2021
- Lab Automation Workcells Market Overview By Trends, Industry Top Manufactures, Size, Industry Growth Analysis & Forecast Till 2026 KSU | The... - February 17th, 2021
- ActiveCampaign furthers commitment to customer success by bringing together 500+ automation recipes with 125+ new email design templates - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Increase Resource Efficiencies and Revenue with Automation - Lexology - February 17th, 2021
- Leading Demand Generation Company Switches to TEB Business Automation from Salesforce - IT News Online - February 17th, 2021
- Building Automation System Market 2021 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - February 17th, 2021
- Best Research Report on Global Industrial Wireless Automation Market with New Business Opportunities by Forecast to 2027 | Siemens, Honeywell... - February 17th, 2021
- More automated traffic enforcement could come to Arlington in the name of social justice - FOX 5 DC - February 17th, 2021
- Harting hosts industrial automation webinar series - Foodprocessing - February 17th, 2021
- Salesforce offers intelligent document automation in conjunction with AWS tool - Healthcare IT News - February 17th, 2021
- Automation Wont Take All The Manufacturing Jobs And Covid Proves It. Heres How - Forbes - February 4th, 2021
- CAQH 2020 Index: Automating Healthcare Administrative Transactions Has Reduced Annual Costs by $122 Billion, $16.3 Billion More Can Be Saved Through... - February 4th, 2021
- Nigeria: Munich Re bets on automation to strengthen the insurance market - The Africa Report - February 4th, 2021
- Digitalization and Manufacturing Automation to Drive the High-performance Plastics Market to $2 Billion by 2027 - PR Newswire India - February 4th, 2021
- Research shows that automation can make recruitment more human - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Helsinki accelerates AI and automation in city services - Cities Today - February 4th, 2021