In recent decades, women have made huge gains in employment. But the rise in job automation is threatening to undo that.
Jobs held by women are more likely to be displaced by automation, according to The World Economic Forums2020 report on the global gender gap, while men are more likely to be employed in less vulnerable roles.
To avoid job irrelevance, female workers must approach education and their careers in new ways, finding opportunities in areas that predominantly employ men.
The jobs that are emerging are not very gender-equal, said Vesselina Ratcheva, the data lead at the World Economic Forum. If we think about shifting workers from declining to emerging roles, what we are also likely to see is that the environment for women in those roles is not necessarily going to be one of parity.
Graphic Credit: David Foster/Yahoo Finance
Of the eight employment areas with increasing prospects across 20 leading economies, six of those sectors are dominated by men. The emerging sectors with the smallest share of women are cloud computing, engineering, and data and artificial intelligence.
On the other end, jobs that are being displaced by automation are routine, white-collar roles, like secretarial work, Ratcheva said. The vast majority 94% of secretaries and administrative assistants in the U.S. are women.
In the automation age, all workers need to be skilled, mobile, and tech-savvy to keep their job or successfully transition into a different field. They also have to think about education and employment in a different way.
Here are four ways women and men can prepare and adjust to the changes automation brings.
To avoid job irrelevance, female workers and male ones, too must approach college and their careers in new ways. (Photo: Adrian Greeman/Construction Photography/Avalon/Getty Images)
Dont think of employment as a series of full-time jobs or lifetime employment, but rather as a range of workplace arrangements, including self-employment, freelancing, and salaried roles, saidApril Rinne, an independent advisor focusing on the future of work.
Moving forward, professional paths will not be linear. We will not study for a profession and do that profession for life, Rinne said. Rather, we will have many roles, many positions, many professional chapters. Like an artist or an investor, we will curate portfolios of our work.
To be well-positioned for this journey, learn how to handle your own taxes; be ready to start your own business; develop a wide professional network; and find the best practices for working remotely.
With the rapid automation of technical skills, human skills such as emotional intelligence, empathy, ethics, curiosity, creativity, and coordination will become more valuable, Rinne said.
The really distinguishing factor for success of tomorrow's leaders lies not in programming apps and algorithms, but rather upon a solid foundation in the humanities, she said. How we develop and use technology is equally, if not more important, than the technology itself.
Investing in and developing those human skills can make you almost 'unautomatable.' Building curiosity can help you adapt for the jobs of the future. One way to do this is to spend more time with children or with your own five-year-old brain, which is inherently curious, Rinne said.
Human skills such as emotional intelligence, empathy, ethics, curiosity, creativity, and coordination will become more valuable in the future. (Photo: Christophe Gateau/picture alliance via Getty Images)
The idea that higher education is something you only do early in your life wont help you in the world of automation.
Today's education system was designed for the First Industrial Revolution to train factory workers and soldiers and is woefully outdated for the 21st century, Rinne said. As automation changes and eradicates certain skills, roles and even entire vocations, individuals will need to keep learning, not only to work, but to better understand the world.
If you can continue to learn beyond the traditional means such as college, maintain insatiable curiosity at any age, and embrace the future's uncertainties, youll have an advantage. Study abroad, do cultural exchanges, or any experience that expands your perspective and takes you out of your comfort zone, Rinne said.
Even when entering sectors more immune to automation, women often take marketing, people, or culture roles, rather than the technical ones. Their employer might encourage them to focus more on their soft or coordination skills rather than technical ones, Ratcheva said.
What female workers should do is look for companies that are actively working to diversify their workforce through inclusion initiatives, especially for more technical roles dominated by men. Workers should also ask about a potential employer's support to help workers re-skill or up-skill to stay relevant.
That might be quite effective at increasing the take-up of that [job] offer by female workers or those whove become inactive in the labor market, Ratcheva said.
Denitsa is a writer for Yahoo Finance. Follow her on Twitter@denitsa_tsekova.
Follow Yahoo Finance onTwitter,Facebook,Instagram,Flipboard,SmartNews,LinkedIn,YouTube, andReddit.
- The Army turns to automation for officer assignments - Defense Systems - February 12th, 2020
- AI And Automation: Together Forever? - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Viewpoint: How Automation is Digitally Transforming the Insurance Industry - Claims Journal - February 12th, 2020
- Ponemon Institute Report Finds Security Automation Continues to Reshape Hiring Trends Year-by-year - Chinook Observer - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Is Probably Coming for Your Job Too - GQ - February 12th, 2020
- Survey: Firms trend towards automation - Bangkok Post - February 12th, 2020
- AI, automation, and the cybersecurity skills gap - VentureBeat - February 12th, 2020
- SaltStack Infrastructure Automation Now Integrated with Tenable.io for Closed-Loop Vulnerability Remediation - The Herald Journal - February 12th, 2020
- 2020 State of Branding Report Reveals Marketers Divided Over Automation's Role in Branding - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - February 12th, 2020
- TD Bank: Automation and mobile apps inevitable for the restaurant industry - Tech Wire Asia - February 12th, 2020
- Demand for Fast Deployment and Ease-of-Use Drives AP Automation to the Cloud - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 12th, 2020
- Feb. 20: CLC to host author John Wasik for automation talk - Patch.com - February 12th, 2020
- WorkFusion Named No. 1 for Intelligence and Overall Innovation in Robotic Process Automation (RPA) by HFS Research - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- CAN in Automation at Embedded World 2020 - Embedded Computing Design - February 12th, 2020
- Making the Most of AI and Automation: Steps to success - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial automation technology trends 2020 - Verdict - February 12th, 2020
- Dassault Systmes announces expanded 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS offerings - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- HANNOVER MESSE 2020 to focus on 5G, industrial climate protection - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- Global Process Automation Market: 2020 Global Trend and 2025 Forecast Research Report on Demands, Business Analysis - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Software Market Latest Trends , Size, Share, Types, Technical Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive... - February 12th, 2020
- Workstream, A Staffing Automation Startup, Helps Small Businesses Hire Hourly Workers - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Puts Reply Guys Out of Work in Fake Social Media App Botnet - VICE - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Market Boosting the Manufacturing Industry Worldwide - Robotics Tomorrow - February 12th, 2020
- Epiroc and ASI Mining to automate Roy Hill haul truck fleet - International Mining - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Solutions Market in the Oil and Gas Industry 2020-2024 | Rise in the Global Demand for Oil and Gas to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- Automated oil and gas well control - Engineer Live - February 12th, 2020
- 32% of jobs in 'red wall' seats at risk of automation by early 2030s - LabourList - February 12th, 2020
- Picking the Right Automation Tool for the Job - No Jitter - February 7th, 2020
- Have robots grounded the flying geese? Automation and offshoring in the manufacturing sector - Brookings Institution - February 7th, 2020
- How to get started with automation: A Red Hat exec offers advice - TechRepublic - February 7th, 2020
- Tenjin is releasing a new set of automation APIs and making it free - Pocket Gamer.Biz - February 7th, 2020
- Frost Radar in the Industrial Automation Market - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Intellecta AI-Driven And Multichannel Analytics From OnviSource Delivers Automation For Workforce Optimization, CX Management And Content Management -... - February 7th, 2020
- The Challenge of Automation in Strawberries - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - February 7th, 2020
- Automation as a Service Market by Component, Business Function, Enterprise Size, and Industry Vertical: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry... - February 7th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market Procurement Intelligence Report | Evolving Opportunities with Blue Prism and UiPath in the Robotic Process... - February 7th, 2020
- Intelligent Automation Will Boost India's Economy to US 5 Trillion By 2024-25 - THE WEEK - February 7th, 2020
- The Age of Automation is coming to a MLB strike zone near you - Motor City Bengals - February 7th, 2020
- Benefits and challenges of automated processes for wildlife trade in poor countries - Trade for Development News - February 7th, 2020
- How automated workflows increase the capacity and scale of a - SelectScience - February 7th, 2020
- Savesor Presents a KNX Hotel Automation Kit and Innovative Bundle for Airbnb Hosts at ISE 2020 - KNXtoday - February 7th, 2020
- Watch how to program automation in Ableton Live 10 - MusicTech - February 7th, 2020
- Perfecto by Perforce Releases 2020 State of Test Automation Report - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Zapier now connects 2,000+ apps--more than any other automation tool - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Iris Automation Announces First Beyond-Visual-Line-of-Sight (BVLOS) Drone Waiver In South Africa - PRNewswire - February 7th, 2020
- Vineland names new head of automation - Greenhouse Canada - February 7th, 2020
- Automation Anywhere Backing Arrow McLaren SP - SPEED SPORT - February 7th, 2020
- CRM's 'Automated Virtual Agents': Coming Soon to an Office Near You - Toolbox - February 7th, 2020
- Even With Industry 4.0, Sometimes The Best Level Of Automation Is None - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- What we can do to make sure automation doesn't negatively affect the work force - TNW - January 5th, 2020
- Automation and Public Policy - State of the Planet - January 5th, 2020
- In 2020, AI to enable acceleration from automation to autonomy, say experts - Robot Report - January 5th, 2020
- Improving Your Manufacturing Productivity and Quality with CMM Networking and Automation - Quality Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Listen to top VCs discuss the next generation of automation startups at TC Sessions: Robotics+AI - TechCrunch - January 5th, 2020
- DevOps The Troubles Of Automating All The Things - JAXenter - January 5th, 2020
- The unsettling grip of the automated gods | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport Sun-Gazette - January 5th, 2020
- Automation and AI will launch a golden age of marketing - The Drum - January 5th, 2020
- Hashtag Trending Automation predictions for 2020 - ITBusiness.ca - January 5th, 2020
- Stories that will define the next decade: Automation will likely cause changes to the ports of LA, Long Beach - The Daily Breeze - January 5th, 2020
- True automation, a bigger streaming revolution: Tech that will take over our lives this year - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market Size, Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast to 2026 - ReportsPioneer - January 5th, 2020
- Home Automation Is Taking Control On The Upper Cape - CapeNews.net - January 5th, 2020
- Despite Chaotic Year, Automation, AI Offer Benefits to Indian IT Industry - Analytics Insight - January 5th, 2020
- How AI may be the key to future-proofing jobs at risk of being automated - Employee Benefit News - January 5th, 2020
- The End of the Road for Spreadsheets? - Automation World - January 5th, 2020
- What is Automation | IBM - December 31st, 2019
- Automation benefits and costs - Economics Help - December 31st, 2019
- Save 15% on Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - December 31st, 2019
- Pricing - Automation | Microsoft Azure - December 31st, 2019
- Automation | Definition of Automation at Dictionary.com - December 31st, 2019
- What is Automation?- ISA - December 31st, 2019
- Using robotic process automation to manage revenue cycles - Healthcare IT News - December 31st, 2019
- Guest Post: Why 2020 Will be Better Than 2019 in Automation - Robotics Business Review - December 31st, 2019
- 5 Robotic Process Automation Trends To Look For In 2020 - Inc42 Media - December 31st, 2019
- Vanguard: automation is great until it doesn't work - FX Week - December 31st, 2019
- Crestview Weighed IPO of JR Automation Before Clinching $1.4 Billion Sale - Barron's - December 31st, 2019
- What Jobs Will be Lost to Automation? - San Diego Entertainer Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Energy Asset Performance Management to Take on Automation - IoT World Today - December 31st, 2019
- How to get started with HomeKit home automation - Cult of Mac - December 31st, 2019
- Part of the trucking industry is already becoming fully automated - Inverse - December 31st, 2019