Adam Bujak, Global Head of Intelligent Automation at Capgemini explains why the thing he does for a job is very important.
Intelligent process automation (IPA) has the potential to enrich the business and IT landscape in front, middle and back-office, creating a radical shift towards a digitally augmented workforce that can deliver accelerated value for the client. Despite the growing appetite for process automation, many organisations are failing to successfully incorporate it into their value chain. Capgemini research found that only 16% of enterprises are deploying intelligent automation at scale demonstrating the gap between the reality and ambition of IPAs transformational impact.
What is IPA?
IPA can be seen as the golden triangle consisting of an intelligent blend of robotic process automation (RPA), artificial intelligence (AI), and smart analytics creating digitally augmented workforce of the future.
IPAs main objective is to cultivate a digitally augmented workforce that breaks organisational silos to secure value for the customer. A digitally augmented workforce also holds more value for the organisation, allowing employees to move away from routine or monotonous tasks reliably taken over by IPA and focus on more value-adding activities.
For example, RedBalloon, an Australian online gift retailer, is using an AI-powered digital marketing platform to process a large database of customer interactions and transaction history. With the help of AI, the company was able to reduce the total cost of acquisition by 25% in one month. The time spent by the marketing team on manually executing search campaigns or altering social media audiences was redirected to more strategic activities, such as devising campaigns that targeted niche and high-value audiences uncovered by AI.
How to implement IPA successfully
To drive IPA at scale, organisations need to overcome a range of business, technology, and talent-related challenges. Taking advantage of intelligent automation isnt simply a question of layering it on top of existing infrastructure or a current business process.
Its essential to recognise that harnessing IPAs full potential involves not only thinking about technology toolkits, but also processes transformation, change management and humans being an integral part of the process. Below, I list key success factors for implementing IPA.
Create your vision and roadmap: By setting a vision for IPA, organisations will have clarity on what they want to achieve. This means not just seeing IPA as a route to operational gains, but also to drive customer engagement and, ultimately, revenue. An IPA roadmap is critical to achieving these objectives. It identifies and prioritises the processes for IPA, assesses the potential impact on people, and assesses the technology options available.
Ensure processes have been optimised and identify quick wins: A proper selection and assessment of the suitability of business processes for IPA is crucial for success, especially when evaluating the automation of existing processes. Capgeminis ESOAR approach helps in the identification of the right processes to automate and robotise. Its also recommended that organisations start with quick-win use cases that are not too complex and offer strong benefit and value upside.
Be agile: A proof of concept (PoC) shows the technical feasibility of rule-based solutions within the organisations IT environment and the minimum viable product (MVP) demonstrates the minimum functionalities of the AI solution. PoCs and MVPs not only test the operating model, but can also address any doubts or concerns that leaders have about the benefits of IPA. An agile approach involving small steps, small failures, and fast recovery can deliver quick results demonstrating IPAs value. Organisations should also capture successes, identify ambassadors in the organisation, and keep the relevant stakeholders updated on the progress of the IPA journey.
Ensure AI needs are accounted for at the beginning of your IPA journey and use analytics more strategically: New use cases in artificial intelligence are emerging every day and are particularly compelling in instances where rule-based automation only delivers a fraction of IPAs potential. Organisations should evaluate AI technology platforms at the onset of their IPA planning exercise. They also need to make sure they get their data basis right as the algorithms cannot be smarter than the underlying data provided. Organisations need to align their data and IT security to identify all fields of data which can be used based on technical feasibility and data security constraints.
Focus on change management and cultivate digital talent: Given the potential impact of automation on people, many organisations struggle with change management, for fear of job losses and employee resistance. Actions such as involving employees in initiatives, clearly communicating the vision, and encouraging people to actively participate are therefore critical. Communications should emphasise that IPA can be used to remove the mundane, repetitive tasks from their day-to-day work, providing them with an opportunity to focus on more value-adding activities. According to Capgeminis report, nearly 80% of automation leaders say that they encourage their employees to suggest IPA initiatives. To gain success, engage a dedicated team of change and communication, in charge of raising awareness in the business of the benefits of IPA.
IPA has significant potential, from the radical transformation of efficiency to new revenue opportunities. The successful combination of business and IT allows organisations to realise the full upside, but many are still struggling to accomplish scale and value by dwelling on siloed PoCs, not targeting real business problems. One thing is sure: data rich IPA solutions bring in a plethora of exciting opportunities to drive tangible value for customers as well as top-line growth. We are just taking off on a great journey.
Originally posted here:
- The Army turns to automation for officer assignments - Defense Systems - February 12th, 2020
- AI And Automation: Together Forever? - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Viewpoint: How Automation is Digitally Transforming the Insurance Industry - Claims Journal - February 12th, 2020
- Ponemon Institute Report Finds Security Automation Continues to Reshape Hiring Trends Year-by-year - Chinook Observer - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Is Probably Coming for Your Job Too - GQ - February 12th, 2020
- Survey: Firms trend towards automation - Bangkok Post - February 12th, 2020
- AI, automation, and the cybersecurity skills gap - VentureBeat - February 12th, 2020
- SaltStack Infrastructure Automation Now Integrated with Tenable.io for Closed-Loop Vulnerability Remediation - The Herald Journal - February 12th, 2020
- 2020 State of Branding Report Reveals Marketers Divided Over Automation's Role in Branding - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - February 12th, 2020
- TD Bank: Automation and mobile apps inevitable for the restaurant industry - Tech Wire Asia - February 12th, 2020
- Demand for Fast Deployment and Ease-of-Use Drives AP Automation to the Cloud - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 12th, 2020
- Feb. 20: CLC to host author John Wasik for automation talk - Patch.com - February 12th, 2020
- WorkFusion Named No. 1 for Intelligence and Overall Innovation in Robotic Process Automation (RPA) by HFS Research - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- CAN in Automation at Embedded World 2020 - Embedded Computing Design - February 12th, 2020
- Making the Most of AI and Automation: Steps to success - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial automation technology trends 2020 - Verdict - February 12th, 2020
- Dassault Systmes announces expanded 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS offerings - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- HANNOVER MESSE 2020 to focus on 5G, industrial climate protection - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- Global Process Automation Market: 2020 Global Trend and 2025 Forecast Research Report on Demands, Business Analysis - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Software Market Latest Trends , Size, Share, Types, Technical Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive... - February 12th, 2020
- Workstream, A Staffing Automation Startup, Helps Small Businesses Hire Hourly Workers - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Puts Reply Guys Out of Work in Fake Social Media App Botnet - VICE - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Market Boosting the Manufacturing Industry Worldwide - Robotics Tomorrow - February 12th, 2020
- Epiroc and ASI Mining to automate Roy Hill haul truck fleet - International Mining - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Solutions Market in the Oil and Gas Industry 2020-2024 | Rise in the Global Demand for Oil and Gas to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- Automated oil and gas well control - Engineer Live - February 12th, 2020
- 32% of jobs in 'red wall' seats at risk of automation by early 2030s - LabourList - February 12th, 2020
- Picking the Right Automation Tool for the Job - No Jitter - February 7th, 2020
- Have robots grounded the flying geese? Automation and offshoring in the manufacturing sector - Brookings Institution - February 7th, 2020
- How to get started with automation: A Red Hat exec offers advice - TechRepublic - February 7th, 2020
- Tenjin is releasing a new set of automation APIs and making it free - Pocket Gamer.Biz - February 7th, 2020
- Frost Radar in the Industrial Automation Market - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Intellecta AI-Driven And Multichannel Analytics From OnviSource Delivers Automation For Workforce Optimization, CX Management And Content Management -... - February 7th, 2020
- The Challenge of Automation in Strawberries - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - February 7th, 2020
- Automation as a Service Market by Component, Business Function, Enterprise Size, and Industry Vertical: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry... - February 7th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market Procurement Intelligence Report | Evolving Opportunities with Blue Prism and UiPath in the Robotic Process... - February 7th, 2020
- Intelligent Automation Will Boost India's Economy to US 5 Trillion By 2024-25 - THE WEEK - February 7th, 2020
- The Age of Automation is coming to a MLB strike zone near you - Motor City Bengals - February 7th, 2020
- Benefits and challenges of automated processes for wildlife trade in poor countries - Trade for Development News - February 7th, 2020
- How automated workflows increase the capacity and scale of a - SelectScience - February 7th, 2020
- Savesor Presents a KNX Hotel Automation Kit and Innovative Bundle for Airbnb Hosts at ISE 2020 - KNXtoday - February 7th, 2020
- Watch how to program automation in Ableton Live 10 - MusicTech - February 7th, 2020
- Perfecto by Perforce Releases 2020 State of Test Automation Report - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Zapier now connects 2,000+ apps--more than any other automation tool - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Iris Automation Announces First Beyond-Visual-Line-of-Sight (BVLOS) Drone Waiver In South Africa - PRNewswire - February 7th, 2020
- Vineland names new head of automation - Greenhouse Canada - February 7th, 2020
- Automation Anywhere Backing Arrow McLaren SP - SPEED SPORT - February 7th, 2020
- CRM's 'Automated Virtual Agents': Coming Soon to an Office Near You - Toolbox - February 7th, 2020
- Even With Industry 4.0, Sometimes The Best Level Of Automation Is None - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- What we can do to make sure automation doesn't negatively affect the work force - TNW - January 5th, 2020
- Automation and Public Policy - State of the Planet - January 5th, 2020
- In 2020, AI to enable acceleration from automation to autonomy, say experts - Robot Report - January 5th, 2020
- Improving Your Manufacturing Productivity and Quality with CMM Networking and Automation - Quality Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Listen to top VCs discuss the next generation of automation startups at TC Sessions: Robotics+AI - TechCrunch - January 5th, 2020
- How the most vulnerable workers to job automation can adapt - Yahoo Money - January 5th, 2020
- DevOps The Troubles Of Automating All The Things - JAXenter - January 5th, 2020
- The unsettling grip of the automated gods | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport Sun-Gazette - January 5th, 2020
- Automation and AI will launch a golden age of marketing - The Drum - January 5th, 2020
- Hashtag Trending Automation predictions for 2020 - ITBusiness.ca - January 5th, 2020
- Stories that will define the next decade: Automation will likely cause changes to the ports of LA, Long Beach - The Daily Breeze - January 5th, 2020
- True automation, a bigger streaming revolution: Tech that will take over our lives this year - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market Size, Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast to 2026 - ReportsPioneer - January 5th, 2020
- Home Automation Is Taking Control On The Upper Cape - CapeNews.net - January 5th, 2020
- Despite Chaotic Year, Automation, AI Offer Benefits to Indian IT Industry - Analytics Insight - January 5th, 2020
- How AI may be the key to future-proofing jobs at risk of being automated - Employee Benefit News - January 5th, 2020
- The End of the Road for Spreadsheets? - Automation World - January 5th, 2020
- What is Automation | IBM - December 31st, 2019
- Automation benefits and costs - Economics Help - December 31st, 2019
- Save 15% on Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - December 31st, 2019
- Pricing - Automation | Microsoft Azure - December 31st, 2019
- Automation | Definition of Automation at Dictionary.com - December 31st, 2019
- What is Automation?- ISA - December 31st, 2019
- Using robotic process automation to manage revenue cycles - Healthcare IT News - December 31st, 2019
- Guest Post: Why 2020 Will be Better Than 2019 in Automation - Robotics Business Review - December 31st, 2019
- 5 Robotic Process Automation Trends To Look For In 2020 - Inc42 Media - December 31st, 2019
- Vanguard: automation is great until it doesn't work - FX Week - December 31st, 2019
- Crestview Weighed IPO of JR Automation Before Clinching $1.4 Billion Sale - Barron's - December 31st, 2019
- What Jobs Will be Lost to Automation? - San Diego Entertainer Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Energy Asset Performance Management to Take on Automation - IoT World Today - December 31st, 2019
- How to get started with HomeKit home automation - Cult of Mac - December 31st, 2019