The retail space has changed through technology over recent years, be that through the replacement of cash by card, introduction of scanners or business to business (B2B) integration. The emerging technology may transform retail more fundamentally than in the past, where artificial intelligence (AI), logarithms and faster hardware may combine to produce new technological capabilites. As 5G emerges with faster communication speeds that will aid greatly improved location accuracy, new AI and robotic solutions for retail may present themselves.
Despite the potential changes in technology, any future changes are more likely to emerge in waves over time than as a single large-scale change. Any new retail technology is likely to only be implemented only when it is able to demonstrate improvements in functionality and capabilities.
Despite these possibilities, it is likely that human staff and management will remain in workplaces for some time to come, where humans will likely be required for the tasks not able to be completed by technology.
Leadership roles are classically responsible for organisational direction, where leaders propose strategy and gain approval from investors before setting agreed targets. Once a direction has been agreed with goals, leaders will usually set out to engage and influence a wide range of stakholders towards accepting and supporting their decisions.
Stakeholders, including staff, require a certain level of trust and engagement before they are likely to follow a leaders direction. Leadership trust depends on past relations, past delivery and outcomes, so it is not something that can be easily improved by a one-off presentation. If trust declines then it is likely that stakeholders may stop listening to leadership messages or may fail to engage.
To minimise staff stress and disillusionment, leaders need to be visible and involved in change, where openness and engagement are likely to be additional leadership factors that may be required in conjunction with trust. Irrespective of how well leaders communicate a change, they need to have a combination of trust and engagement otherwise staff and other stakeholders may not believe that they have been heard.
At some future point the level of knowledge and decision making capabilities of the technology may match or even surpass the human. When technology presents reliable human capabilities it is likely they may be put in charge, where the change may yield staff being unwilling to work for the emerging robotic managers.
As retail technological advancement is likely to replace tasks, staff may become stressed if elements of their jobs are replaced over time. Fair to say that in the early phases of the technology, robots and AI may not be very social or have capacity for empathy, rather they may prefer to work constantly and only stop for scheduled maintenance. So staff may find it difficult to work in an environment that has less human interaction or social inteactions.
Customers may like any emerging reliability of robot and AI knowledge, or may like their consistency or even their intiative. Conversely, staff may be considerably worried about their skill sets and future employment as robots and AI emerge and takeover work. The choices between staff and customer interests may be difficult for leaders to balance. It may not be easy to avoid new technology, especially where competitors deploy new technology and gain advantage. Changing direction without explanation may yield declines in staff trust.
Leading may be particularly difficult in retail, where some leaders may prefer to remain remote to staff, or dislike having to constantly explain changes. As indicated in recent research, leadership and engagement are important to organisational change success, so those that are unable to alter their leadership style may be unable to influence and move the organization forward.
Staff, in retail in particular, will need time to hear and digest messages before they can accept or support any proposed change. Leaders should engage and communicate more regularly if staff are to appreciate the reasons for technology emerging and taking their jobs.
To create an enviroment with trust, leaders need to be believed, not just in the short term but over an extended period of time. Communication is one of the ways that leaders can attempt to build trust by setting out information that is useful for stakeholders. Communication has many aspects, so the leader should consider styles of language, regularity of communication, a variety of communication forms, and yet consider the diversity of the audience. Communication needs are by no means homogenous, so a leader of the future should consider and rate all elements of communication at their disposal before delivering any speeches.
The retail sector has a diverse range of skills, where some staff may prefer face-to-face communication in a warehouse, others may like newsletters or others may prefer offsite presentations and social media.
Where jobs are under threat of change it may be particularly difficult for staff. Some may argue for a halt to future technology advancement, especially if they are not adequately informed. Leaders may be best advised to explain the competitive and investment pressures, whilst showing the various benefits of any technology.
Decision making should not be hidden from staff, they should be included in the process of developing options and evaluating. Staff trust will be improved if they can appreciate why technology change is ongoing, why it may appear to be fast, or appreciate why leaders may not always be able to predict technology improvements in this uncertain environment.
Staff may not always like the decisions towards new technology, yet if they can see their leaders being open and honest with closer relations, they may respect leadership decisions and be in a position to support or follow.
Apart form informing staff about ongoing technology change, it is clear in the research that stakeholders will benefit from engagement and participation in change decisions. Leaders that do not like staff scrutiny or closer relations, may find that they lose the trust of their staff, customers and investors.
In building new relationships with retail staff, the leader of the future may need to acquire advanced skills in communication, negotiation or inclusiveness if they are to be effective. Engagement with staff and other stakeholders of this new age is more than asking a few occasional questions, more than an annual speech. It is only with genuine engagement and inclusion that retail staff will be able to trust their leaders and follow in an evironment that constantly changes and changes their roles.
Leading and Managing Change in the Age of Disruption and Artificial Intelligenceby Dr. Mathew Donald is out now, published by Emerald Publishing, priced 65. For more information go to http://www.drmat.online.
- The Army turns to automation for officer assignments - Defense Systems - February 12th, 2020
- AI And Automation: Together Forever? - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Viewpoint: How Automation is Digitally Transforming the Insurance Industry - Claims Journal - February 12th, 2020
- Ponemon Institute Report Finds Security Automation Continues to Reshape Hiring Trends Year-by-year - Chinook Observer - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Is Probably Coming for Your Job Too - GQ - February 12th, 2020
- Survey: Firms trend towards automation - Bangkok Post - February 12th, 2020
- AI, automation, and the cybersecurity skills gap - VentureBeat - February 12th, 2020
- SaltStack Infrastructure Automation Now Integrated with Tenable.io for Closed-Loop Vulnerability Remediation - The Herald Journal - February 12th, 2020
- 2020 State of Branding Report Reveals Marketers Divided Over Automation's Role in Branding - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - February 12th, 2020
- TD Bank: Automation and mobile apps inevitable for the restaurant industry - Tech Wire Asia - February 12th, 2020
- Demand for Fast Deployment and Ease-of-Use Drives AP Automation to the Cloud - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 12th, 2020
- Feb. 20: CLC to host author John Wasik for automation talk - Patch.com - February 12th, 2020
- WorkFusion Named No. 1 for Intelligence and Overall Innovation in Robotic Process Automation (RPA) by HFS Research - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- CAN in Automation at Embedded World 2020 - Embedded Computing Design - February 12th, 2020
- Making the Most of AI and Automation: Steps to success - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial automation technology trends 2020 - Verdict - February 12th, 2020
- Dassault Systmes announces expanded 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS offerings - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- HANNOVER MESSE 2020 to focus on 5G, industrial climate protection - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- Global Process Automation Market: 2020 Global Trend and 2025 Forecast Research Report on Demands, Business Analysis - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Software Market Latest Trends , Size, Share, Types, Technical Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive... - February 12th, 2020
- Workstream, A Staffing Automation Startup, Helps Small Businesses Hire Hourly Workers - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Puts Reply Guys Out of Work in Fake Social Media App Botnet - VICE - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Market Boosting the Manufacturing Industry Worldwide - Robotics Tomorrow - February 12th, 2020
- Epiroc and ASI Mining to automate Roy Hill haul truck fleet - International Mining - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Solutions Market in the Oil and Gas Industry 2020-2024 | Rise in the Global Demand for Oil and Gas to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- Automated oil and gas well control - Engineer Live - February 12th, 2020
- 32% of jobs in 'red wall' seats at risk of automation by early 2030s - LabourList - February 12th, 2020
- Picking the Right Automation Tool for the Job - No Jitter - February 7th, 2020
- Have robots grounded the flying geese? Automation and offshoring in the manufacturing sector - Brookings Institution - February 7th, 2020
- How to get started with automation: A Red Hat exec offers advice - TechRepublic - February 7th, 2020
- Tenjin is releasing a new set of automation APIs and making it free - Pocket Gamer.Biz - February 7th, 2020
- Frost Radar in the Industrial Automation Market - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Intellecta AI-Driven And Multichannel Analytics From OnviSource Delivers Automation For Workforce Optimization, CX Management And Content Management -... - February 7th, 2020
- The Challenge of Automation in Strawberries - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - February 7th, 2020
- Automation as a Service Market by Component, Business Function, Enterprise Size, and Industry Vertical: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry... - February 7th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market Procurement Intelligence Report | Evolving Opportunities with Blue Prism and UiPath in the Robotic Process... - February 7th, 2020
- Intelligent Automation Will Boost India's Economy to US 5 Trillion By 2024-25 - THE WEEK - February 7th, 2020
- The Age of Automation is coming to a MLB strike zone near you - Motor City Bengals - February 7th, 2020
- Benefits and challenges of automated processes for wildlife trade in poor countries - Trade for Development News - February 7th, 2020
- How automated workflows increase the capacity and scale of a - SelectScience - February 7th, 2020
- Savesor Presents a KNX Hotel Automation Kit and Innovative Bundle for Airbnb Hosts at ISE 2020 - KNXtoday - February 7th, 2020
- Watch how to program automation in Ableton Live 10 - MusicTech - February 7th, 2020
- Perfecto by Perforce Releases 2020 State of Test Automation Report - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Zapier now connects 2,000+ apps--more than any other automation tool - Yahoo Finance - February 7th, 2020
- Iris Automation Announces First Beyond-Visual-Line-of-Sight (BVLOS) Drone Waiver In South Africa - PRNewswire - February 7th, 2020
- Vineland names new head of automation - Greenhouse Canada - February 7th, 2020
- Automation Anywhere Backing Arrow McLaren SP - SPEED SPORT - February 7th, 2020
- CRM's 'Automated Virtual Agents': Coming Soon to an Office Near You - Toolbox - February 7th, 2020
- Even With Industry 4.0, Sometimes The Best Level Of Automation Is None - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- What we can do to make sure automation doesn't negatively affect the work force - TNW - January 5th, 2020
- Automation and Public Policy - State of the Planet - January 5th, 2020
- In 2020, AI to enable acceleration from automation to autonomy, say experts - Robot Report - January 5th, 2020
- Improving Your Manufacturing Productivity and Quality with CMM Networking and Automation - Quality Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Listen to top VCs discuss the next generation of automation startups at TC Sessions: Robotics+AI - TechCrunch - January 5th, 2020
- How the most vulnerable workers to job automation can adapt - Yahoo Money - January 5th, 2020
- DevOps The Troubles Of Automating All The Things - JAXenter - January 5th, 2020
- The unsettling grip of the automated gods | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport Sun-Gazette - January 5th, 2020
- Automation and AI will launch a golden age of marketing - The Drum - January 5th, 2020
- Hashtag Trending Automation predictions for 2020 - ITBusiness.ca - January 5th, 2020
- Stories that will define the next decade: Automation will likely cause changes to the ports of LA, Long Beach - The Daily Breeze - January 5th, 2020
- True automation, a bigger streaming revolution: Tech that will take over our lives this year - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market Size, Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast to 2026 - ReportsPioneer - January 5th, 2020
- Home Automation Is Taking Control On The Upper Cape - CapeNews.net - January 5th, 2020
- Despite Chaotic Year, Automation, AI Offer Benefits to Indian IT Industry - Analytics Insight - January 5th, 2020
- How AI may be the key to future-proofing jobs at risk of being automated - Employee Benefit News - January 5th, 2020
- The End of the Road for Spreadsheets? - Automation World - January 5th, 2020
- What is Automation | IBM - December 31st, 2019
- Automation benefits and costs - Economics Help - December 31st, 2019
- Save 15% on Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - December 31st, 2019
- Pricing - Automation | Microsoft Azure - December 31st, 2019
- Automation | Definition of Automation at Dictionary.com - December 31st, 2019
- What is Automation?- ISA - December 31st, 2019
- Using robotic process automation to manage revenue cycles - Healthcare IT News - December 31st, 2019
- Guest Post: Why 2020 Will be Better Than 2019 in Automation - Robotics Business Review - December 31st, 2019
- 5 Robotic Process Automation Trends To Look For In 2020 - Inc42 Media - December 31st, 2019
- Vanguard: automation is great until it doesn't work - FX Week - December 31st, 2019
- Crestview Weighed IPO of JR Automation Before Clinching $1.4 Billion Sale - Barron's - December 31st, 2019
- What Jobs Will be Lost to Automation? - San Diego Entertainer Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Energy Asset Performance Management to Take on Automation - IoT World Today - December 31st, 2019
- How to get started with HomeKit home automation - Cult of Mac - December 31st, 2019