Automation, COVID, And The Future Of Work
Ever since Oxford's Carl Benedikt Frey and Michael Osborne published their paper on the potential for jobs to be automated in 2013, a groundswell of concern has emerged about the impact of the various technologies of the 4th industrial revolution might have on the jobs market.
Given that for many, the prevailing narrative has been that the relentless march of digital technology will consume all jobs in its wake, a COVID-19 pandemic that has in many ways expedited digital transformation might have also expedited the automation of the workforce.
It's a narrative that has an element of truth to it.A recent report from Dell highlighted the way COVID has accelerated the digital transformation efforts many organizations had been undertaking before the pandemic, albeit with areas such as cybersecurity getting as much investment as the rebuilding of business models.It's also noticeable that technologies such as AI and robotics were still not a major focus for organizations.
That firms don't appear to be investing in AI to any great extent is shown up for the folly that it is by research from Berkeley Haas, which highlights how beneficial such investments are in terms of productivity, efficiency, and market share.
What is perhaps important to note in discussions around the impact of technology on jobs is that the companies investing so heavily in AI actually grew their workforce by 15%.Whats more, this increase in employment was not just found at the firm level, but across entire industries.So AI-savvy firms were not benefitting at the expense of rivals.The researchers suggest that this is because firms were using AI to become more productive, which helped them to grow.
This expansion was often into new regions or product markets, as firms capitalized on their newfound productivity and efficiency.Obviously, this does tend to feed into concerns about excessive market concentration among a few huge firms, but the researchers believe this shouldnt concern us as it is simply a reflection of market share going to the most productive firms.
It's a finding echoed by additional research from the Stanford Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence (HAI), which found that there appears to be a clear relationship between AI-related jobs and economic growth, which in turn results in greater well-being across society.
This general optimism is not uniformly felt, however.For instance, the Global Attitudes Report from Oxford Universitys Internet Institute reveals a public that is broadly speaking divided down the middle on the impact of AI in public life, with those in the East seemingly far more comfortable than those of us in the West.
The research was based upon the data generated by the2019 World Risk Pollproduced by the Lloyds Register Foundation.Their survey examines the public perception of global risks, with 142 countries participating.
Understanding public confidence in AI and machine learning is vital to the successful implementation of such systems in government,the researchers explain.
This perception of vulnerability was reinforced in the latest report from The Royal Society for Arts, Manufactures and Commerce's (RSA) Future Work team on how COVID is affecting the automation landscape.
The report attempts to develop a risk register of jobs that are vulnerable to any fallout from COVID-19 and indeed the digital transformation that society is undergoing as a result of the pandemic. The authors suggest that those industries that are most reliant on furlough support from the government are also most likely to be at risk from automation.
They identify young people as the most vulnerable, which is perhaps not that surprising, as research from the University of Western Australia found that young people were most vulnerable to job losses during COVID in general.
The paper highlights how the youth labor market is typified by high levels of consumer-facing roles in sectors such as hospitality, fitness, and retail. Whats more, such jobs are often part-time or casual, and youth unemployment was already extremely vulnerable due to this.
While it's far from clear from the evidence to date that automation is playing anywhere near as big a role as COVID itself in the labor market challenges faced by young people, it is nonetheless crucial that support is provided to young people suffering as a result of the pandemic.
Its well known that in previous crises, such as in 2008 and the early 1990s, unemployment tended to crowd the labor market after the recession, which made it extremely challenging for young people.As such, the authors believe governments should offer support to help young people back into secure work.
Personalised support of our young people that can address multiple barriers to employment such as qualifications, transport, disadvantage, job readiness and communication skills is important, they say.Its also important for policy leaders to address the increasing casualisation of the workforce and ensure they support those who are most vulnerable.
The RSA do provide some solid advice in terms of the nature of this support, especially in terms of helping people to gain new skills and transition into new careers. These are almost certainly going to be hugely important, even if their suggestion that AI is to blame is wide of the mark.
- Building Competitive Advantage With Automation - Broadband Communities - April 5th, 2021
- What Do We Mean by Automation? - Forbes - April 5th, 2021
- NG automation to catapult productivity and profitability with edge computing - FutureIoT - April 5th, 2021
- How automating and streamlining can provide a treasure trove of data - Smart Business Network - April 5th, 2021
- Addressing great need for automation of composites - Advanced Manufacturing - April 5th, 2021
- NASAs small business picks take on automation in space - TechCrunch - April 5th, 2021
- Cockpit automation leading to airline industry complacency - Airline Ratings - April 5th, 2021
- HAL in Permian Automation Breakthrough and More - Rigzone News - April 5th, 2021
- Worldwide Robotic Process Automation Industry (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Automation Anywhere, NICE and Blue Prism Among Others -... - April 5th, 2021
- Deloitte and UiPath Team on Intelligent Automation Solutions Built for the Oracle ERP Platform - PRNewswire - April 5th, 2021
- The benefits of hyper-automation for banking - Finextra - Finextra - April 5th, 2021
- Test automation tools: 8 trends and techniques to watch - TechBeacon - April 5th, 2021
- CrowdStrike Releases 2021 Cybersecurity Global Threat Report - Automation World - April 5th, 2021
- Is the Future of Manufacturing Automated or Autonomous? - Entrepreneur - April 5th, 2021
- Diving Into the Boost for Automation in the Claims and Appraisal Process - glassBYTEs - April 5th, 2021
- How does your company help customers with their automated testing initiatives? - SDTimes.com - April 5th, 2021
- 78% of IT Leaders Plan to Increase Spending on Automation Initiatives Post-Pandemic - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- As Automation Expands in the Nordic Region, Look to 'GXF' - ETF Trends - April 5th, 2021
- Rockwell Automation Stock Appears To Be Significantly Overvalued - Yahoo Finance - April 5th, 2021
- Klaviyo Unveils New Marketing Automation Innovations with Personalized Benchmarks Tool and Conversational SMS - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Save Time & Money With Automated Password Resets - Security Boulevard - April 5th, 2021
- Global Building Automation and Controls Market (2020 to 2027) - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Strategy Analytics: Automation, IoT, Cloud and 5G Accelerate the Growth of Unified Endpoint Security Adoption - Business Wire - April 5th, 2021
- Latest innovative report on Robotic Process Automation in Finance Market by 2026 with top key players like WorkFusion, Automation Anywhere, Blue... - April 5th, 2021
- DIY Home Automation Market Research Report 2021 | Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trend and Top Key Players KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - April 5th, 2021
- Making It Work: Automation firm stays sharp with robotics for use in pharma industry - Business Post - April 5th, 2021
- The Evolution of Automation Technologies - Security Boulevard - February 17th, 2021
- Automation in the Age of COVID-19 - Advanced Manufacturing - February 17th, 2021
- Analysts need advanced automation tools to reduce fear of missing incidents - Help Net Security - Help Net Security - February 17th, 2021
- Salesforce: Combining AI and automation can give us superpowers and make us more productive - ZDNet - February 17th, 2021
- Notable Health seeks to improve COVID-19 vaccine administration through intelligent automation - TechCrunch - February 17th, 2021
- 3 Ways Intelligent Process Automation (IPA) is Knocking at the Doors of the Recruitment World - BBN Times - February 17th, 2021
- Automation in Retail to scale new heights and pave way for dynamism - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - February 17th, 2021
- How to automate while maintaining security and compliance | SC Media - SC Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- 3D-Printing Is Speeding Up the Automation of Construction - Metropolis - Metropolis Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- The 58th Design Automation Conference Has Been Rescheduled for December 2021 - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- Explosion Proof Equipment in Automation and Control Systems Market In Depth Research Report 2021-2026 by Regional Analysis and Key Players Profiles |... - February 17th, 2021
- Verizon targets robot automation with Incubed IT deal - Mobile World Live - February 17th, 2021
- OPEX Corporation Unveils New Branding to Highlight Automation Technology Innovation - IT News Online - February 17th, 2021
- Lab Automation Workcells Market Overview By Trends, Industry Top Manufactures, Size, Industry Growth Analysis & Forecast Till 2026 KSU | The... - February 17th, 2021
- ActiveCampaign furthers commitment to customer success by bringing together 500+ automation recipes with 125+ new email design templates - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Increase Resource Efficiencies and Revenue with Automation - Lexology - February 17th, 2021
- Leading Demand Generation Company Switches to TEB Business Automation from Salesforce - IT News Online - February 17th, 2021
- Building Automation System Market 2021 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - February 17th, 2021
- Industry Insights: The future of camera control and automation - NewscastStudio - February 17th, 2021
- Best Research Report on Global Industrial Wireless Automation Market with New Business Opportunities by Forecast to 2027 | Siemens, Honeywell... - February 17th, 2021
- More automated traffic enforcement could come to Arlington in the name of social justice - FOX 5 DC - February 17th, 2021
- Harting hosts industrial automation webinar series - Foodprocessing - February 17th, 2021
- Salesforce offers intelligent document automation in conjunction with AWS tool - Healthcare IT News - February 17th, 2021
- Automation Wont Take All The Manufacturing Jobs And Covid Proves It. Heres How - Forbes - February 4th, 2021
- CAQH 2020 Index: Automating Healthcare Administrative Transactions Has Reduced Annual Costs by $122 Billion, $16.3 Billion More Can Be Saved Through... - February 4th, 2021
- Nigeria: Munich Re bets on automation to strengthen the insurance market - The Africa Report - February 4th, 2021
- Digitalization and Manufacturing Automation to Drive the High-performance Plastics Market to $2 Billion by 2027 - PR Newswire India - February 4th, 2021
- Research shows that automation can make recruitment more human - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Helsinki accelerates AI and automation in city services - Cities Today - February 4th, 2021
- Alteryx and HCL Technologies Announce Global Strategic Alliance to Accelerate Analytics Automation and Digital Transformation for Global 2000... - February 4th, 2021
- UniPAKer robotic packer at the 'core' of apple producer's automation - FreshPlaza.com - February 4th, 2021
- 5 ways matter management and no-code automation are better together - Lexology - February 4th, 2021
- Automated-driving tech, finally explained in everyday terms - Automotive News - February 4th, 2021
- Indico and Ashling Partners Announce Partnership to Deliver Intelligent Process Automation - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- People Blame a Vehicle's Automated System More Than Its Driver When Accidents Happen - Newswise - February 4th, 2021
- Automation Industrial Monitors Market Key Players, Industry Demand, Overview And Supply Chain Analysis, Forecast To 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - February 4th, 2021
- Global Biomedical Cold Chain Market 2021- 2028 with Brooks Automation, Panasonic, Thermo Fisher, Haier, Dometic KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - February 4th, 2021
- DHS Seeks Info on Automation Capabilities for Invoice Processing - ExecutiveBiz - February 4th, 2021
- Automated Network Optimization from Cellwize is to be Deployed by Indonesia's Telkomsel to Enhance Network Performance & Customer Experience -... - February 4th, 2021
- Outlook on the Automated Guided Vehicle Global Market to 2027 - by Type, Product, Battery Type, Component, Navigation Technology, Application,... - February 4th, 2021
- Safir Hotels Partners with ReviewPro to Automate the Guest Experience - Hospitality Net - February 4th, 2021
- Injection Molding Machine Interface Bolsters Robot Integration - Automation World - February 4th, 2021
- Data Center Automation Software Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics & Forecast to 2027 KSU | The... - February 4th, 2021
- Brooks Automation Reports Results of First Quarter of Fiscal 2021, Ended December 31, 2020, and Announces Quarterly Cash Dividend - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- New York automation firm UiPath raises fresh funds at $35bn valuation ahead of IPO - Financial World - February 4th, 2021
- Digital Process Automation Market (2021-2025) | Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Top Key Players KSU | The... - February 4th, 2021
- Most cybersecurity pros believe automation will make their jobs easier - Help Net Security - October 19th, 2020
- ancora Software Partners with HelpSystems for Intelligent Process Automation - Benzinga - October 19th, 2020
- Customer Service: How to Balance AI and Automation with Human Touch - Finextra - October 19th, 2020
- Circular Edge Customer Success Stories Illustrate the Importance of Automation with Oracle JD Edwards - Benzinga - October 19th, 2020
- ANZ New Zealand turns to Red Hat for automation & collaboration - IT Brief Australia - October 19th, 2020
- Where CFOs might spend more time: How about strategy, automation and data analytics? - CFO Dive - October 19th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation: Transforming the world of finance - CNBCTV18 - October 19th, 2020
- Laying the Groundwork for a Self-Optimizing Plant - Automation World - October 19th, 2020