32% of all jobs in red wall constituencies won by the Tories from Labour in the last election are estimated to be at risk of automation by the early 2030s.
A report by Future Advocacy has said that eight million jobs are at risk of automation over the next ten years and it has called on the government to protect communities.
The think tank estimated that 30% of jobs are vulnerable nationally with the greatest loses expected in retail, manufacturing and transport.
The research shows that the impact of automation will be felt differently across the various regions in the country with an uneven distribution of job losses.
1.2 million jobs in retail are thought to be at risk, with a further 1.1 million in manufacturing and 800,000 in transport.
A researcher at the think tank Anna Pick said: The task of levelling up Britain is only going to be made harder by the oncoming decade of automation. Our report projects that almost a third of existing jobs could be automated by 2030.
We must ensure that communities, particularly those in towns and rural areas across the Midlands and the North of England, do not suffer as a result. The government needs to double down on efforts to create jobs, boost skills, and improve infrastructure.
A recent review by the committee on standards in public life investigated the way in which artificial intelligence and automation will change the way in which public services are delivered.
The Labour-affiliated union Unite criticised the report for a failure to examine and discuss the threat that the phenomena pose to public sectors jobs.
Analysis previously commissioned by the trade union found that employment in health and local authorities are at a high risk of automation.
An executive officer for Unite, Sharon Graham said: A report on robots in the public sector has forgotten about the humans. Its astounding that an in-depth report on artificial intelligence and ethics in the public sector has been produced without any consideration of the risk new technologies could have on public sector workers livelihoods.
There are over five million workers employed in the public sector including the NHS and local authorities where many jobs are at a high risk of automation.
Unite is developing a political and industrial strategy to build a future that works. New technology is going to generate a lot of opportunities but there are also threats. We will fight to make sure the benefits are shared and used to do things that help public sector workers and their families, such as reducing working time without loss of pay.
Research suggests that the impact of job automation will not be equal across different demographics within the population.
A report by the office for national statistics in 2017 demonstrated that over 70% of those jobs considered vulnerable to automation were held by women.
In addition to this younger people are significantly more likely to be in employment expected to be more heavily affected by automation over the next few years.
Some industries have already seen significant impact. Between 2011 and 2017, reporting from the ONS revealed that 25.3% of supermarket checkout disappeared.
Various companies are experimenting with increasingly automated models Amazon, for example, has been trialling shops that operate without any staff.
The full report from Future Advocacy can be found here: Automation and Britains New Political Landscape Future Advocacy
LabourList has more readers than ever before - but we need your support. Our dedicated coverage of Labour's policies and personalities, internal debates, selections and elections relies on donations from our readers.
Read more here:
- Automation | Definition of Automation by Merriam-Webster - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation | Definition of Automation at Dictionary.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation (2019) - IMDb - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - Advantages and disadvantages of automation ... - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game on Steam - April 2nd, 2020
- Bridging the Network Automation Skills Gap - DevOps.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Yard work: Automation strolls out the warehouse door - ZDNet - April 2nd, 2020
- Five Steps To Get Started With Robotic Automation - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- ValueLink drives efficiency in the valuation process through a combination of automation, AI and analytics - HousingWire - April 2nd, 2020
- Bosses speed up automation as virus keeps workers home - The Guardian - April 2nd, 2020
- What is Feature Engineering and Why Does It Need To Be Automated? - Datanami - April 2nd, 2020
- Parascript and Le Mans Tech Partner to Offer Integrated Automation Solutions to Small and Midsize Banks - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Smartly.io Powers Digital Advertising Innovation and Automation on Pinterest - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2020
- Overcoming the challenges of intelligent automation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Will the COVID-19 Pandemic Promote Mass Automation? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - April 2nd, 2020
- Attractive Opportunities in Automation - Morningstar - April 2nd, 2020
- Automating with a solid foundation - ITProPortal - April 2nd, 2020
- Industry could fast-track automation amid COVID-19 fallout - www.mining-journal.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Building automation to generate $44bn in revenue per annum - Smart Energy - April 2nd, 2020
- The Idea Behind Automating Your Commissions - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Why Intelligent Automation is the Need of the Hour - CXOToday.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Using RPA to automate internal audits where to start - TechHQ - April 2nd, 2020
- Scaling Bakery Production with Automated Mixing | 2020-04-01 - Baking Business - April 2nd, 2020
- Virtual assistant 'Larry the Chat Bot' brings automated solution... - Hays Free Press - April 2nd, 2020
- Aleyant Celebrates 15 Years of Innovation in Automated Print Software - Industry Analysts Inc - April 2nd, 2020
- Automation Anywhere helps deliver business continuity with RPA industry's first bot security program - Continuity Central - April 2nd, 2020
- Java vs. Python for test automation? Why Ruby is the better choice - TechBeacon - April 2nd, 2020
- Aido Technologies Launches Free Use of AI-Powered Automated CPT and Diagnosis Coding During the US Response to COVID-19 - Associated Press - April 2nd, 2020
- Automating with a solid foundation - ITProPortal - March 31st, 2020
- Five Steps To Get Started With Robotic Automation - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- Bosses speed up automation as virus keeps workers home - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- How automation is speeding delivery of COVID-19 results to hospitals - TechRepublic - March 31st, 2020
- Reevaluating the Conversation on Automation and the Future of Work - Georgetown Public Policy Review - Georgetown Public Policy Review - March 31st, 2020
- Using RPA to automate internal audits where to start - TechHQ - March 31st, 2020
- What will drive the future of automation? - Essential Install - March 31st, 2020
- Home Working Causes Bosses to Increase Automation - DIGIT.FYI - March 31st, 2020
- Load.ng commits to leveraging Tech for Bitcoin to Naira Exchange Automation. - Techpoint Africa - March 31st, 2020
- news digest: Automation Anywhere's Bot Security, Linux 5.6, and the IntelliSense Code Linter for C++ - SD Times - SDTimes.com - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Pushes Logistic Automation up the Agenda - Sea News - March 31st, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA): Is It Recession Proof? - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- How AI+Automation Can Transform Tedious Office-Tasks? - Analytics Insight - March 16th, 2020
- Software release cycles accelerate, but automation is not keeping up - ZDNet - March 16th, 2020
- Wannabe Wired: Don't fear the (automated) reaper - The Lawton Constitution - March 16th, 2020
- Study Shows 93% of Employees Believe Process Automation Will Make Jobs Easier - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- Centralizing Your Systems - Automation World - March 16th, 2020
- Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 16th, 2020
- Smart bathrooms have been around since the 1980s. But do they help against coronavirus? - NorthJersey.com - March 16th, 2020
- How do financial advisors stay relevant in the age of automation? - Moneyweb.co.za - March 16th, 2020
- How SEOs can benefit from using AI and automation - Econsultancy - March 16th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market World Informing, Growth Analysis And Opportunities Outlook 2020 To 2026 - News Times - March 16th, 2020
- Digital Transformation: UAE Banking Executive Explains How Fintech, AI, Robotic Process Automation is Transforming Finance Sector - Crowdfund Insider - March 16th, 2020
- Why robotic process automation (RPA) is the perfect technology for logistics - FreightWaves - March 16th, 2020
- Research Predicts Automated Deliveries Will Generate up to $48.4B in Revenue by 2030 - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- SOARIZON by Thales and Iris Automation announce partnership - sUAS News - March 16th, 2020
- This husband-wife duos startup helps companies automate their workflows - YourStory - March 16th, 2020
- Why Police Love the Idea of Automated Content Moderation - Slate - March 16th, 2020
- Smart Elevator Automation System Market 2019 Trends, Size, Segments, Emerging Technologies and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2023 - Packaging News 24 - March 16th, 2020
- Connectivity is the key to early wins in connected and automated mobility - FleetNews - March 16th, 2020
- 2.7m Aussie jobs at risk of automation - ACS - March 16th, 2020
- Bots bring automation to the war on data entry - C4ISRNet - March 16th, 2020
- Will The Tesla Model Y Allow Fully Automated Production To Happen? - InsideEVs - March 16th, 2020
- Bolt-on Software and Automation Technologies Showcased at MODEX - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Helping workers survive automation - Bangkok Post - March 11th, 2020
- AI and Automation in the Workplace - Electropages - March 11th, 2020
- Packsize and 6 River Systems Collaborate on Next-generation Warehouse Automation Technology at MODEX - DC Velocity - March 11th, 2020
- Automation startup Zinier raises $90 million to expand in Brazil - Capacity Media - March 11th, 2020
- Don't miss the big Brexit automation opportunity to improve digital skills - Information Age - March 11th, 2020
- Why enterprises are turning to partnership automation - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 11th, 2020
- Kryon Solidifies Leadership in Singapore's Robotic Process Automation Marketplace With Government Accreditation From IMDA - PRNewswire - March 11th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to automate data extraction from geotagged images - Geospatial World - March 11th, 2020
- Royal Society of Arts calls for training amid automation rise - The National - March 11th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling Market Expected to Grow with a CAGR of 11.30% During the Forecast Period, 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - March 11th, 2020
- New and notable: Automation and AI - Greenhouse Canada - March 11th, 2020
- Call Center Automation Depends on Collaborative AI - Customer Think - March 11th, 2020
- Process Automation Software Market (2020 To 2027) is booming worldwide with Adobe, AppSheet, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism - News Times - March 11th, 2020
- Munich Re Automation Solutions on the rise of the insurtech sector - Insurance Business - March 11th, 2020
- APAC Automation & Control Systems Market in the Upstream Oil & Gas Industry, Forecast to 2023 - Positive Market Sentiments Point to Slow... - March 6th, 2020
- Microsoft Goes All-In On RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - March 6th, 2020
- Aging and automation shaping workforce, labor secretary tells Worcester business group - Worcester Telegram - March 6th, 2020
- How automation is taking some of the burden for healthcare workers - Tech Wire Asia - March 6th, 2020