Who is the first person who comes to mind when you think of atheism?
Mind you, that doesnt mean the person is the most famous atheist. Just the name that comes up when you think of the word.
The Pew Research Center asked that question, along with similar ones concerning the major world religions, and they just released the responses. It wont surprise you to learn that Buddhism prompted Buddha (55% of respondents said that) or that Catholicism led to the Pope (47%).
Perhaps its a bit surprising that 21% associated Billy Graham with Evangelical Protestantism, more than any other single person, given that he died in 2018 and stopped preaching regularly long before then, though many of the more prominent evangelicals today are better known for politics than religion.
But when it came to atheism, the one name that came to mind more than any other was
6% of Americans thought Satan when prompted with atheism. Which doesnt even make sense. But there you go.
51% of Americans couldnt think of anyone, 10% said it was someone they knew personally (i.e. someone whos not famous), 26% gave a smattering of random answers (i.e. people who arent famous enough), and 4% each said Richard Dawkins and Madalyn Murray OHair (who was murdered in 1995).
There were some other names on the longer results list, many of whom were included in that 26% of random answers.
Theres astrophysicist Stephen Hawking (2%), comedian Bill Maher (2%), author Christopher Hitchens (1%) and, for whatever reason, Jesus (1%).
The big takeaway for me is that there really isnt any prominent atheist these days the sort of person who can cut through the atheism-only bubble and talk about it to a mainstream audience. The names that come up today are probably the same ones that wouldve come up a decade ago. Atheists arent as well known because atheism has become less of an issue since the New Atheism hype in the mid-2000s.
These results come from the same survey in which people were asked about their religious knowledge. As you may recall, Jewish respondents fared the best, closely followed by atheists and agnostics. But none of the groups did exceptionally well.
Many people dont know much about religion, period. So its no wonder that the most famous people associated with various belief systems arent necessarily ones that make sense. No living (or even recently alive) Jewish person made the popularity list. Even for evangelicals, the big names who were alive this century were Graham and Jerry Falwell (the despicable dead one, not his despicable son).
Or, if you want to spin that in a good way, it means there are openings for people who speak about their religious views to break into the American consciousness regardless of background. Just as we can always use strong science communicators, it would be wonderful to have a (literally new) atheist who can break through our own bubble, who the media can turn to for comment, and who isnt cringe-worthy in a variety of other ways. Its not something you can just volunteer for, but it starts by finding a way to advocate those views in a way that doesnt turn the whole world against you.
At least we can hope for that. The alternative is having an atheist version of Falwell, the sort of person you have to constantly apologize for instead of point to when your belief comes up.
(Featured image via Shutterstock)
Read the original:
- James A. Haught: We need to trust in science even when the answers are complicated - YubaNet - October 19th, 2020
- Ireland Will Begin Phasing Default-Catholicism Out of Many Secondary Schools - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2020
- Mubarak Bala: Blasphemy And Anti-Atheist Repression In Nigeria - Modern Ghana - October 19th, 2020
- OPINION: MUBARAK BALA: BLASPHEMY AND ANTI-ATHEIST REPRESSION IN - thewillnigeria - October 19th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 344: Can the Supreme Court be Fixed? - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2020
- An open letter to Umar Khalid: If you are doing time, you may as well do it well - Scroll.in - October 19th, 2020
- Why is it so hard for atheists to get voted in to Congress? - The Conversation US - October 7th, 2020
- Atheists Have a Hard Time Running for Office (But It's Getting Easier) - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 7th, 2020
- Pastor Who Said Atheism Has Never Healed a Disease Tests Positive for COVID - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 7th, 2020
- Please Support the Work I Do Through This Site - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 7th, 2020
- Leading Irish atheist wades into the Dawkins disinvitation row - Patheos - October 7th, 2020
- The ending of Raised By Wolves explained - Looper - October 7th, 2020
- Raised By Wolves Theory: Who Is The Prophet? Every Possibility Explained - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 340: The Don't-Say-The-S-Word Baptist Convention - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - September 18th, 2020
- Referendums in the Pacific are attracting attention faraway - The Economist - September 18th, 2020
- The Temptation of Disbelief - Kashmir Observer - September 4th, 2020
- Nigerian Atheist Arrested and Disappeared - Council on Foreign Relations - September 4th, 2020
- Alice Roberts: 'Atheism is defining yourself by an absence. Humanism is a positive choice' - The Guardian - September 4th, 2020
- A Conservatives Revisionist History Aims at Marx and Misses the Mark - National Review - September 4th, 2020
- 'Atheist Overreach' Thinks Secularization Will Fail | Roll to Disbelieve: 'Atheist Overreach' Thinks Religion is Forever - Patheos - September 4th, 2020
- 'Atheist Overreach' and the Law of Conservation of Worship - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- Richard Dawkins admitted ONE thing would make him believe in God - Daily Express - August 10th, 2020
- 'Atheist Overreach' Blames the Wrong People | Roll to Disbelieve: 'Atheist Overreach' Blames the Wrong People - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- Influential actor leaves atheism and turns to God - Uganda Christian News - August 10th, 2020
- Rendezvous with Rama: India can comfortably straddle the crossroads of science and religion - The Times of India Blog - August 10th, 2020
- IS THIS THE BEGINNING OF THE END? - Oherald - August 10th, 2020
- Adin Steinsaltz, 83, Dies; Created Epic Translation of Talmud - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- God, Healing and the Unified Field - Omaha Reader - August 10th, 2020
- Usaa, the Greatest Revolutionary Barber After Upali, Dies of Covid-19 - The Citizen - August 10th, 2020
- Atheism - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - August 10th, 2020
- What is Atheism? | American Atheists - August 10th, 2020
- Atheism | Definition of Atheism by Merriam-Webster - August 10th, 2020
- Atheism is incompatible with the scientific method, according to this Templeton Prize-winning physicist - Explica - August 10th, 2020
- Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz, Who Made the Talmud More Accessible, Dies at 83 - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- The one theology question nagging all others throughout history - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- History column: The church window | The Westmorland Gazette - The Westmorland Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Why Science and Atheism Don't Mix. Really? - Patheos - August 9th, 2020
- What You Need To Know About Humanism And Race, August 10 online - Patch.com - August 9th, 2020
- Lake Wales (FL) Officials Can't Handle an Atheist Invocation on the Agenda - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 8th, 2020
- What is atheism? | CARM.org - August 8th, 2020
- 10 facts about atheists | Pew Research Center - August 3rd, 2020
- YOUR VIEWS: Letters to the Editor, July 25 - Opinion - Utica Observer Dispatch - August 1st, 2020
- Cub Sport: Theres a lot of guilt tied to religion that doesnt need to be there - NME.com - July 29th, 2020
- Blood Brothers #40: The Enlightenment, European colonialism and New Atheism - 5Pillars - July 25th, 2020
- In God We Trust becomes the official motto of U.S. - LubbockOnline.com - July 25th, 2020
- GETTING THE MESSAGE/Isaiah 40:25-26 - Madison County Journal - July 25th, 2020
- The Book That Changed My Life - Rewire.org - July 25th, 2020
- Saints who had to live the faith without the support of their spouses - Aleteia IT - July 25th, 2020
- Hating God: Atheism as Rebelling Against a Father-Figure and Other Nonsenses - Patheos - July 25th, 2020
- I Want You to Be: On the God of love, by Tom Halk 24 Jul 2020 - Church Times - July 25th, 2020
- Why Science and Atheism Don't Mix - Discovery Institute - July 24th, 2020
- Is it time to add 'The Great' to 'St. John Paul II'? | Terry Mattingly - Knoxville News Sentinel - July 22nd, 2020
- Atheist Alliance International Temporarily Suspends Director Over Use of Slurs - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - July 22nd, 2020
- Kuiper: The left's worshipping of Wokeness will dwarf other faiths - nwestiowa.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The music of the subcontinent - Daily Times - July 22nd, 2020
- A black-and-white view of what it means to be Catholic - NZ Catholic - July 22nd, 2020
- Assessing the Claim that Christians Are the Most Persecuted Group - Patheos - July 21st, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 331: The Science is Not on Trump's Side - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - July 21st, 2020
- Ask an Atheist: Ever hesitant to announce your atheism? - spokanefavs.com - July 18th, 2020
- Robert Jeffress: We Allowed Atheists and Infidels to Pervert Our Constitution - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - July 18th, 2020
- MATTINGLY: Is it time to add the Great to St. John Paul II? - Bristol Herald Courier - July 18th, 2020
- Letter: The National Anthem is under attack by the left - Arizona Daily Star - July 18th, 2020
- Freaks and Geeks May Have Been A Little Too Real - Film School Rejects - July 18th, 2020
- Rudy Giuliani: Black Lives Matter is going to take away your property and give it to Black people - Media Matters for America - July 18th, 2020
- Is Pope John Paul II worthy of title 'the great'? - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - July 18th, 2020
- Politicized Science Can Be Deadly; Time to Restore Integrity - Discovery Institute - July 18th, 2020
- Is it time to add 'the great' to St. John Paul II? - Greenville Daily Reflector - July 16th, 2020
- Hagia Sophia and the test of time - TRT World - July 16th, 2020
- New Book Tells the Story of Beaver Island's King Strang - MyNorth.com - July 16th, 2020
- Idiotic political turf war puts lives at risk: Letters to the editor - Echo Pilot - July 14th, 2020
- Feuerbach's anthropological atheism to be discussed in Tehran - Iran Book News Agency - July 12th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 330: It's Okay for CNN to Say Jesus Wasn't Perfect - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - July 12th, 2020
- Atheism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - July 12th, 2020
- Atheism | Age of Empires Series Wiki | Fandom - July 12th, 2020
- What is atheism? - Atheist Alliance International - July 12th, 2020
- The History of Atheism - dummies - July 12th, 2020
- Key Differences Between Atheism and Agnosticism - July 12th, 2020
- The Presence of the Gods | John Beckett - Patheos - July 11th, 2020
- Share the Good News in these trying times - Pratt Tribune - July 11th, 2020