There are hundreds of great atheism quotes out there. Like most skillful turns of phrase, they all sound good. But there are many I disagree with, for example All thinking men are atheists (Ernest Hemmingway).
Or consider this Julian Baggini quote: Goblins, hobbits truly everlasting gobstoppers God is just one of the things that atheists dont believe in, it just happens to be the thing that, for historical reasons, gave them their name. Actually, no. Perhaps we could say that God is just one of many things that naturalists dont believe in, or something like that, but atheism is defined only by a lack of belief in gods.
There are hundreds of other atheism quotes to choose from, but these are the ones that strike me most deeply right now.
When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
When I was a kid I had an imaginary friend and I used to think that he went everywhere with me, and that I could talk to him and that he could hear me, and that he could grant me wishes and stuff. And then I grew up, and I stopped going to church.
Believe nothing,No matter where you read it,Or who has said it,Not even if I have said it,Unless it agrees with your own reasonAnd your own common sense.
To understand via the heart is not to understand.
Michel de Montaigne
I dont know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didnt.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Do not pass by my epitaph, traveler.But having stopped, listen and learn, then go your way.There is no boat in Hades, no ferryman Charon,No caretaker Aiakos, no dog Cerberus.All we who are dead belowHave become bones and ashes, but nothing else.I have spoken to you honestly, go on, traveler,Lest even while dead I seem talkative to you.
Ancient Roman tombstone
An atheist doesnt have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there cant be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence on the God question is at a similar level to the evidence on the werewolf question.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
See more here:
- Socialism and Atheism Still US Political Liabilities - Gallup - February 12th, 2020
- Yes, There Are Atheists Who Still Fear Hell - Patheos - February 12th, 2020
- Atheist Gives U. of Texas $1 Million Endowment to Study Non-Religious Americans - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - February 12th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 308: Mitt Romney Did the Right Thing for the Wrong Reason - Patheos - February 12th, 2020
- The Problem with Atheism By Mohammad Alshereda - Nature World News - February 11th, 2020
- Journal Writing Project Reflection of ourselves - Fillmore County Journal - February 11th, 2020
- What If I Told You That You Could Help Save A Life With A Tweet? - Patheos - February 11th, 2020
- Fighting over Evolution? Why? - Covalence - February 11th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 306: The Church That Doesn't Want Old People - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - January 29th, 2020
- Tory politician who claims its Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve insists hes not homophobic - PinkNews - January 29th, 2020
- Atheism's second thoughts | WORLD News Group - WORLD News Group - January 19th, 2020
- If Everything Is Religion, Is Anything Religion? | Libby Anne - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- Christian lifestyle and the reasons of so-called Christian education importance - Christian Post - January 19th, 2020
- Qubec Takes Religion Out of Ethics and Religion Course in Public Schools - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- A brief history of doubt and the emotion that underpins it - Church Times - January 19th, 2020
- I would absolutely become a true believer tomorrow if - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- Latino atheists gather as a secular group, rejecting religion - Los Angeles Times - January 9th, 2020
- BreakPoint: The 'New Atheism' is old news because it couldn't explain sin - Chattanooga Times Free Press - January 9th, 2020
- What Is New About The New Atheists? | Peter Hammond Schwartz - Patheos - January 9th, 2020
- Prayer saved thousands in Mallacoota, claims atheist - Eternity News - January 9th, 2020
- The Peripatetic Preacher and the Necessity of Doubt - Patheos - January 9th, 2020
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to Agnosticism ... - December 6th, 2019
- Atheism | Definition of Atheism by Merriam-Webster - December 6th, 2019
- Church of Atheism might worship science, but it is not a religion, court decides - National Post - December 6th, 2019
- Can you be both a Christian and an unbeliever? - The Irish Times - December 6th, 2019
- Review: Evaluating the Rich Ambiguities of Western Atheism - The Wire - December 6th, 2019
- Elizabeth Warren Was Asked About Her Plan to Protect the Rights of Atheists - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - December 6th, 2019
- Anti-Theism Conference Organizer Defends Sexual Misconduct in Bizarre Rant - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - December 6th, 2019
- 'Unbelievers: An Emotional History of Doubt' Book Review - National Review - December 6th, 2019
- Hiring of Accused Atheist Leader Is Reminder That #MeToo Is Still Needed in Organized Atheism - Rewire.News - October 19th, 2019
- A lot of people were Googling 'Ron Reagan' after his atheism ad aired - WTHR - October 19th, 2019
- Franklin Graham: Atheist Ron Reagan Better Be Afraid of Burning in Hell - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2019
- Podcast Ep. 292: The Unabashed Atheist Who's Not Afraid of Hell - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2019
- Religion holds answers to questions of humanity - Monroe Evening News - October 19th, 2019
- HARROD: Professor Claims Islam Is Not The Root Of Islamic Terrorism - The Daily Wire - October 19th, 2019
- Nick Cave says hes repelled by woke cultures self-righteous belief and lack of humility - NME Live - October 19th, 2019
- Despite Misconduct Allegations, David Silverman Is Now Running an Atheist Group - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 16th, 2019
- Reading Suggestions for Aquinas' Five Ways - Discovery Institute - October 16th, 2019
- A Neglected Modern Masterpiece and Its Perverse Hero - The New Yorker - October 16th, 2019
- Atheist Kicked Off Egyptian TV Show Now Says He's Safely in Another Country - Patheos - October 2nd, 2019
- This Life and Outgrowing God review heaven, atheism and what gives life meaning - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2019
- As an Afghan immigrant, Britain and atheism showed me the bright side of democracy - The Independent - October 2nd, 2019
- Why Did America Lose Its Religion? Thank the Internet. - Patheos - October 2nd, 2019
- What religion meant to the Mahatma - Hindustan Times - October 2nd, 2019
- Dravidian atheism on a wing and a prayer - Times of India - October 2nd, 2019
- The atheist revolution - Hot Air - October 2nd, 2019
- The Necessity of Atheism - Wikipedia - April 27th, 2019
- What is Atheism? | American Atheists - April 27th, 2019
- Common Sense Atheism Atheism is just the beginning. Now ... - April 27th, 2019
- Atheism - Wikipedia - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - Britannica.com - March 29th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit - March 29th, 2019
- History of atheism - Wikipedia - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - RationalWiki - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism | Encyclopedia.com - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - Philosophy - AllAboutPhilosophy.org - February 3rd, 2019
- Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia - February 3rd, 2019
- Atheism - Conservapedia - February 3rd, 2019
- Atheism - creation.com - January 13th, 2019
- New Atheism - Wikipedia - January 13th, 2019
- Atheist Apologist: My Favorite Atheism Quotes - January 5th, 2019
- atheism - reddit - January 1st, 2019
- Atheism | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 20th, 2018
- Atheism - December 20th, 2018
- Atheist Websites Directory - November 8th, 2018
- President Obama on Atheism | Real Time with Bill Maher (Web Exclusive) - November 8th, 2018
- President Obama on Atheism | Real Time with Bill Maher ... - September 30th, 2018
- Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia - August 23rd, 2018
- AtheismUK.com - Challenging Religious Faith - August 8th, 2018
- 600+ Atheism vs. Theism Debates - August 2nd, 2018
- Humanism vs. Atheism | Progressive Humanism - June 2nd, 2018
- The Trouble With Atheism | Documentary Heaven - June 2nd, 2018
- First Church of Atheism | Minister's Site - May 29th, 2018
- Atheism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - March 25th, 2018
- Top 10 Atheism Quotes - February 15th, 2018
- Do Christians REALLY Believe? - Common Sense Atheism - February 15th, 2018
- Why We Should Be Compassionate Toward Atheists - National Catholic Register (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Everyone's suspicious of atheists even other atheists - SBS - August 25th, 2017
- Beware the War Against ASEAN's Atheists | The Diplomat - The Diplomat - August 25th, 2017
- Atheists go after Sen. Marco Rubio with guns blazing this is why they're dead wrong - TheBlaze.com - August 25th, 2017