When I was a boy, so long ago the New Atheists were young men, atheism was sold to us in many a science fiction book as freedom from the sexual repression that was killing us all. Someday, writers like Isaac Asimov promised, sex would be less of a mystery and a great deal more available. Meetings of atheists were proudly freewheeling.
They were governed by science and reason so they were going to get rid of archaic sex rules. At least in their conferences and sub-culture they did.
How did it go?
It did not go well. A new generation has arisen to suggest that the end result was using women like tissue paper. I know this is true, since my students had to deal with atheist big shots who seemed to think every female worker was a dating opportunity. A new generation of atheists rightly challenges the ugliness, but good luck prevailing.
The alpha males have no reason to do more than give lip service to any system you create. On the other hand, as they age, they might worry about an ethical system that might suggest they have a duty to die and stop using up resources. A Christian leader who has lived his life consistently with Christian values knows he can find a Christian place to let him die with dignity. An atheist leader has no such promise.
Our morality endures. Atheist morality keeps trying to say we ought when all they have is this is. Atheist morality changes all the time and yesterdays virtue (free love!), becomes todays vice. Sadly, there is no reasontothink that atheist leaders will listen to critics for now.
Is still does not give an ought and people with power in a system without transcendent morals will find reasons to ignore any barriers to their desires. Fighting the good fight is hard enough for those of us who believe in a real hell and moral absolutes. . . we have our own hypocrites, but at least they are hypocrites. Religion helps buttress morality.
Expose a pastor as a hypocrite and you harm his ministry. If you are creating your own meaning, you cannot be a hypocrite, just sly. You might be a cretin, and some of the leading atheists plainly are, but that judgment is based only on someone elses self-created meaning. When a traditional Christian sins, he might try to hide it, but he cannot claim it is virtue. The same thing has not been true with theStar Trek: the Original Series generation of atheist leaders.
They meant to set up a system where middle aged white men got power and women.
They are those who fame got them accessto the liquor cabinet as a localized celebrity and then they abused the liquor and the power. There is a reason that atheists lose more of their own children than any other group: the movement is ugly to the core. Findone atheist, secular, or non-religious web site that isnot dominated by being against everyone else and you have found the black swan. They exist, but they are rare.
When atheism is mostly white people angry with bad religious childhoods, there is not much future to the movement.Atheism is the only mostly white, mostly Western phenomenon in the world that gets good press as the cutting edge of history and that is not enough. Atheist kids get it and most leave as a result.They know the truth: the whiter the town, the more secular it is. The more diverse the town, the more religious it is.
Atheism cuts you off from African culture, Indian culture, and the parts of Chinese culture that are not running atheist motivated concentration camps. What do you have? The truncated bits of the West that does not include Shakespeare, Bach, Newton, Handel, or Michelangelo. You do get Isaac Asimov, the Amazing Randi, and Daniel Dennett.
It is all a bit sad.
If you inherited a Christian culture from your folks, you might leave, because you think you can keep the good and get rid of perceived evils. What do you inherit as an atheist? Read the Atheist Net. Eliminate rants against religion and you are left with almost nothing. . . except a population shrinking in every part of the world that is not mostly white. You are angry white males that hate Trump.
Thats not much on which to base a culture. Christians can be scientists, philosophers, and (mostly) ignore atheists. Periodically atheists get control of a country and start killing people, but fortunately, our American brand of atheists seem far from powerand more benign.
The second generation of atheists, the converts from some religion and the few kids who stayed, are busy trying to deeply reform the misogynistic, exploitative culture of the old atheist boysnetwork. I wish them luck. However, they should be warned: they too have a morality based on nothing other than what they prefer. They will be radically rebooted by the next generation, because all atheism has culturally been against something. When it is not us, they have to have the last generation of atheists.
They are a culture of repudiation and anger based on hurt. If religious people were not bad, there would soon be no atheists. For that reason, all of us who love God, Love Himself, cannot be triumphant in the rise of a second atheism. Mostly we look to our own problems. . . except when a cock a doodle doo from some new atheist reminds us that atheism has not been harmless. You can be moral without religion, though most agree religion helps, but there is vanishingly little evidence that an atheist can stay moral without religion.
Religious minorities all over the world have left and formed new cultures. Atheists stay and hope to hijack what is there. If not, they have never succeeded in making a culture.
It has been damnable, even by the standards of this generation of atheists. Because of reason and experience, I am a Christian. Maybe I am wrong and some other interpretation of reality is better, but this much is relatively sure: atheism is a dead end. They did not get ought from is in 1970 and my bet is they are doing no better now.
Here is the original post:
- Atheism's second thoughts | WORLD News Group - WORLD News Group - January 19th, 2020
- If Everything Is Religion, Is Anything Religion? | Libby Anne - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- Christian lifestyle and the reasons of so-called Christian education importance - Christian Post - January 19th, 2020
- Qubec Takes Religion Out of Ethics and Religion Course in Public Schools - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- A brief history of doubt and the emotion that underpins it - Church Times - January 19th, 2020
- I would absolutely become a true believer tomorrow if - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- Latino atheists gather as a secular group, rejecting religion - Los Angeles Times - January 9th, 2020
- BreakPoint: The 'New Atheism' is old news because it couldn't explain sin - Chattanooga Times Free Press - January 9th, 2020
- What Is New About The New Atheists? | Peter Hammond Schwartz - Patheos - January 9th, 2020
- Prayer saved thousands in Mallacoota, claims atheist - Eternity News - January 9th, 2020
- The Peripatetic Preacher and the Necessity of Doubt - Patheos - January 9th, 2020
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to Agnosticism ... - December 6th, 2019
- Atheism | Definition of Atheism by Merriam-Webster - December 6th, 2019
- Church of Atheism might worship science, but it is not a religion, court decides - National Post - December 6th, 2019
- Can you be both a Christian and an unbeliever? - The Irish Times - December 6th, 2019
- Review: Evaluating the Rich Ambiguities of Western Atheism - The Wire - December 6th, 2019
- Elizabeth Warren Was Asked About Her Plan to Protect the Rights of Atheists - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - December 6th, 2019
- Anti-Theism Conference Organizer Defends Sexual Misconduct in Bizarre Rant - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - December 6th, 2019
- 'Unbelievers: An Emotional History of Doubt' Book Review - National Review - December 6th, 2019
- Hiring of Accused Atheist Leader Is Reminder That #MeToo Is Still Needed in Organized Atheism - Rewire.News - October 19th, 2019
- A lot of people were Googling 'Ron Reagan' after his atheism ad aired - WTHR - October 19th, 2019
- Franklin Graham: Atheist Ron Reagan Better Be Afraid of Burning in Hell - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2019
- Podcast Ep. 292: The Unabashed Atheist Who's Not Afraid of Hell - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2019
- Religion holds answers to questions of humanity - Monroe Evening News - October 19th, 2019
- HARROD: Professor Claims Islam Is Not The Root Of Islamic Terrorism - The Daily Wire - October 19th, 2019
- Nick Cave says hes repelled by woke cultures self-righteous belief and lack of humility - NME Live - October 19th, 2019
- Despite Misconduct Allegations, David Silverman Is Now Running an Atheist Group - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 16th, 2019
- Reading Suggestions for Aquinas' Five Ways - Discovery Institute - October 16th, 2019
- A Neglected Modern Masterpiece and Its Perverse Hero - The New Yorker - October 16th, 2019
- Atheist Kicked Off Egyptian TV Show Now Says He's Safely in Another Country - Patheos - October 2nd, 2019
- This Life and Outgrowing God review heaven, atheism and what gives life meaning - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2019
- As an Afghan immigrant, Britain and atheism showed me the bright side of democracy - The Independent - October 2nd, 2019
- Why Did America Lose Its Religion? Thank the Internet. - Patheos - October 2nd, 2019
- What religion meant to the Mahatma - Hindustan Times - October 2nd, 2019
- Dravidian atheism on a wing and a prayer - Times of India - October 2nd, 2019
- The atheist revolution - Hot Air - October 2nd, 2019
- The Necessity of Atheism - Wikipedia - April 27th, 2019
- What is Atheism? | American Atheists - April 27th, 2019
- Common Sense Atheism Atheism is just the beginning. Now ... - April 27th, 2019
- Atheism - Wikipedia - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - Britannica.com - March 29th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit - March 29th, 2019
- History of atheism - Wikipedia - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - RationalWiki - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism | Encyclopedia.com - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - Philosophy - AllAboutPhilosophy.org - February 3rd, 2019
- Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia - February 3rd, 2019
- Atheism - Conservapedia - February 3rd, 2019
- Atheism - creation.com - January 13th, 2019
- New Atheism - Wikipedia - January 13th, 2019
- Top 10 Atheism Quotes - Common Sense Atheism - January 5th, 2019
- Atheist Apologist: My Favorite Atheism Quotes - January 5th, 2019
- atheism - reddit - January 1st, 2019
- Atheism | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 20th, 2018
- Atheism - December 20th, 2018
- Atheist Websites Directory - November 8th, 2018
- President Obama on Atheism | Real Time with Bill Maher (Web Exclusive) - November 8th, 2018
- President Obama on Atheism | Real Time with Bill Maher ... - September 30th, 2018
- Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia - August 23rd, 2018
- AtheismUK.com - Challenging Religious Faith - August 8th, 2018
- 600+ Atheism vs. Theism Debates - August 2nd, 2018
- Humanism vs. Atheism | Progressive Humanism - June 2nd, 2018
- The Trouble With Atheism | Documentary Heaven - June 2nd, 2018
- First Church of Atheism | Minister's Site - May 29th, 2018
- Atheism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - March 25th, 2018
- Top 10 Atheism Quotes - February 15th, 2018
- Do Christians REALLY Believe? - Common Sense Atheism - February 15th, 2018
- Why We Should Be Compassionate Toward Atheists - National Catholic Register (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Everyone's suspicious of atheists even other atheists - SBS - August 25th, 2017
- Beware the War Against ASEAN's Atheists | The Diplomat - The Diplomat - August 25th, 2017
- Atheists go after Sen. Marco Rubio with guns blazing this is why they're dead wrong - TheBlaze.com - August 25th, 2017
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy ... - Britannica.com - August 24th, 2017
- How TV Host Ray Comfort is Confronting Atheism | CBN News - CBN News - August 24th, 2017
- Intolerance rising in Malaysia, says report - Free Malaysia Today - August 24th, 2017
- Atheism - The New York Times - August 22nd, 2017
- Why We Should Be Compassionate Toward Atheists | ncregister.com - National Catholic Register (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- The birth of atheism - Times of Malta - Times of Malta - August 21st, 2017
- Enrique Valds Pliego, Atheist Republic Oaxaca City Consulate - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Beware the War Against ASEAN's Atheists - The Diplomat - August 19th, 2017
- How TV Host Ray Comfort is Confronting Atheism - CBN News - August 18th, 2017