Lawmakers should not question science amid pandemic.
I found myself totally dismayed upon reading "Mask mandate reignites turf war" in the Erie Times-News on July 3. The article quoted some state representatives as stating, "We live in a free society, people can make decisions for themselves" and "I feel it is up to your personal choice whether or not to abide by this mandate."
Overall, I can agree with these statements with the huge exception that this mindset is promoting many people to buck wearing masks in public, encouraging people to potentially infect all of the people around them.
The article also stated, "Five House Republicans issued a statement questioning the science behind using a mask to contain the virus." This even raises my concern as to the level of intelligence in our House of Representatives. I dont feel anyone has the right to potentially pass along COVID-19, possibly leading to the serious illness and even death of others.
Wearing masks does not prevent the wearer from getting COVID-19, but does help stop the spread to others. If it were the other way around, fine, do whatever you want, but who wouldnt even voluntarily wear a mask to protect others? Unfortunately, the self-centered and severely partisan society we live in today seems more important than showing respect and kindness to others.
They are placing peoples health and even lives at risk in fighting this idiotic political turf war. Shame on these state representatives and all of the people refusing to wear a mask in public.
Gay Marie Catania, Erie
We express our faith best
through words and deeds
I agree with Charles Adamzycks recent letter. Sharing the love of Jesus by our actions and words are the best ways to share our faith. But this is not a forum to preach.
Brennan Manning said that the greatest cause of atheism are Christians who honor him with their lips but not with their lives. That is what people find unbelievable. But in my letters that the editors of the Erie Times-News graciously allow me to share, I try to show that faith and science can coexist.
I try to influence those who are sitting on the fence, so to speak. And yes, maybe I can influence atheists because their souls matters to me. Lee Stroebel, author of "The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith," was an atheist who investigated the claims made by Christians.
He came to the conclusion that there is a creator and that he became a man to lead us back to our true home.
There are clues to Gods existence that support my faith, but in reality Ive experienced Gods presence, his overwhelming love, answered prayers and even miracles. I would like to encourage anyone who doubts their faith to investigate the clues of a creator and of the empty tomb.
By the way, the song "Amazing Grace" was written by John Newton, a former atheist. I dont understand why mankind prefers the created over the creator and the temporary over the eternal.
We can see whats happening in society today. Mankind is deciding what is moral without knowing the moral lawgiver (God). The world needs to turn to God for healing.
Dave Heintzel, Erie
To defeat Trumpism, we
must defeat Mike Kelly
As the HMS Trump begins its overdue and well-deserved descent to the bottom of the sea (attaching the "USS" designation to the name feels wrong, even in jest), some elected GOP officeholders are finally showing signs of donning life jackets and jumping ship.
Its not yet clear how the U.S. representative for Pennsylvanias 16th District, our Mike Kelly, is going to play this. Studying the worsening polls, he may try to recast himself as an independent sort, radiating moderation and common sense.
If he goes this route, dont be fooled. Mike Kelly is not one of those reluctant supporters of Donald Trump, duty-bound to respect his partys choice. Kelly has always been full-bore MAGA, an early and painfully visible toady. Kelly is Trump; Trump is Kelly.
I subscribe to the notion that it wont be enough to merely defeat Trumpism in November. It must be sunk with an overwhelming and historic defeat. If not, the vestiges of Trumpism always with us will remain lurking just below the surface.
The Democrats have nominated an excellent first-time candidate to run for the 16th District seat. Please vote for Kristy Gnibus on Nov. 3 and send Trump, Kelly and Trumpism back to the muddy bottom of the American psyche, where they belong.
Richard Boler, Erie
Originally posted here:
- James A. Haught: We need to trust in science even when the answers are complicated - YubaNet - October 19th, 2020
- Ireland Will Begin Phasing Default-Catholicism Out of Many Secondary Schools - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2020
- Mubarak Bala: Blasphemy And Anti-Atheist Repression In Nigeria - Modern Ghana - October 19th, 2020
- OPINION: MUBARAK BALA: BLASPHEMY AND ANTI-ATHEIST REPRESSION IN - thewillnigeria - October 19th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 344: Can the Supreme Court be Fixed? - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2020
- An open letter to Umar Khalid: If you are doing time, you may as well do it well - Scroll.in - October 19th, 2020
- Why is it so hard for atheists to get voted in to Congress? - The Conversation US - October 7th, 2020
- Atheists Have a Hard Time Running for Office (But It's Getting Easier) - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 7th, 2020
- Pastor Who Said Atheism Has Never Healed a Disease Tests Positive for COVID - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 7th, 2020
- Please Support the Work I Do Through This Site - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 7th, 2020
- Leading Irish atheist wades into the Dawkins disinvitation row - Patheos - October 7th, 2020
- The ending of Raised By Wolves explained - Looper - October 7th, 2020
- Raised By Wolves Theory: Who Is The Prophet? Every Possibility Explained - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 340: The Don't-Say-The-S-Word Baptist Convention - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - September 18th, 2020
- Referendums in the Pacific are attracting attention faraway - The Economist - September 18th, 2020
- The Temptation of Disbelief - Kashmir Observer - September 4th, 2020
- Nigerian Atheist Arrested and Disappeared - Council on Foreign Relations - September 4th, 2020
- Alice Roberts: 'Atheism is defining yourself by an absence. Humanism is a positive choice' - The Guardian - September 4th, 2020
- A Conservatives Revisionist History Aims at Marx and Misses the Mark - National Review - September 4th, 2020
- 'Atheist Overreach' Thinks Secularization Will Fail | Roll to Disbelieve: 'Atheist Overreach' Thinks Religion is Forever - Patheos - September 4th, 2020
- 'Atheist Overreach' and the Law of Conservation of Worship - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- Richard Dawkins admitted ONE thing would make him believe in God - Daily Express - August 10th, 2020
- 'Atheist Overreach' Blames the Wrong People | Roll to Disbelieve: 'Atheist Overreach' Blames the Wrong People - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- Influential actor leaves atheism and turns to God - Uganda Christian News - August 10th, 2020
- Rendezvous with Rama: India can comfortably straddle the crossroads of science and religion - The Times of India Blog - August 10th, 2020
- IS THIS THE BEGINNING OF THE END? - Oherald - August 10th, 2020
- Adin Steinsaltz, 83, Dies; Created Epic Translation of Talmud - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- God, Healing and the Unified Field - Omaha Reader - August 10th, 2020
- Usaa, the Greatest Revolutionary Barber After Upali, Dies of Covid-19 - The Citizen - August 10th, 2020
- Atheism - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - August 10th, 2020
- What is Atheism? | American Atheists - August 10th, 2020
- Atheism | Definition of Atheism by Merriam-Webster - August 10th, 2020
- Atheism is incompatible with the scientific method, according to this Templeton Prize-winning physicist - Explica - August 10th, 2020
- Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz, Who Made the Talmud More Accessible, Dies at 83 - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- The one theology question nagging all others throughout history - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- History column: The church window | The Westmorland Gazette - The Westmorland Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Why Science and Atheism Don't Mix. Really? - Patheos - August 9th, 2020
- What You Need To Know About Humanism And Race, August 10 online - Patch.com - August 9th, 2020
- Lake Wales (FL) Officials Can't Handle an Atheist Invocation on the Agenda - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 8th, 2020
- What is atheism? | CARM.org - August 8th, 2020
- 10 facts about atheists | Pew Research Center - August 3rd, 2020
- YOUR VIEWS: Letters to the Editor, July 25 - Opinion - Utica Observer Dispatch - August 1st, 2020
- Cub Sport: Theres a lot of guilt tied to religion that doesnt need to be there - NME.com - July 29th, 2020
- Blood Brothers #40: The Enlightenment, European colonialism and New Atheism - 5Pillars - July 25th, 2020
- In God We Trust becomes the official motto of U.S. - LubbockOnline.com - July 25th, 2020
- GETTING THE MESSAGE/Isaiah 40:25-26 - Madison County Journal - July 25th, 2020
- The Book That Changed My Life - Rewire.org - July 25th, 2020
- Saints who had to live the faith without the support of their spouses - Aleteia IT - July 25th, 2020
- Hating God: Atheism as Rebelling Against a Father-Figure and Other Nonsenses - Patheos - July 25th, 2020
- I Want You to Be: On the God of love, by Tom Halk 24 Jul 2020 - Church Times - July 25th, 2020
- Why Science and Atheism Don't Mix - Discovery Institute - July 24th, 2020
- Is it time to add 'The Great' to 'St. John Paul II'? | Terry Mattingly - Knoxville News Sentinel - July 22nd, 2020
- Atheist Alliance International Temporarily Suspends Director Over Use of Slurs - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - July 22nd, 2020
- Kuiper: The left's worshipping of Wokeness will dwarf other faiths - nwestiowa.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The music of the subcontinent - Daily Times - July 22nd, 2020
- A black-and-white view of what it means to be Catholic - NZ Catholic - July 22nd, 2020
- Assessing the Claim that Christians Are the Most Persecuted Group - Patheos - July 21st, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 331: The Science is Not on Trump's Side - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - July 21st, 2020
- Ask an Atheist: Ever hesitant to announce your atheism? - spokanefavs.com - July 18th, 2020
- Robert Jeffress: We Allowed Atheists and Infidels to Pervert Our Constitution - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - July 18th, 2020
- MATTINGLY: Is it time to add the Great to St. John Paul II? - Bristol Herald Courier - July 18th, 2020
- Letter: The National Anthem is under attack by the left - Arizona Daily Star - July 18th, 2020
- Freaks and Geeks May Have Been A Little Too Real - Film School Rejects - July 18th, 2020
- Rudy Giuliani: Black Lives Matter is going to take away your property and give it to Black people - Media Matters for America - July 18th, 2020
- Is Pope John Paul II worthy of title 'the great'? - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - July 18th, 2020
- Politicized Science Can Be Deadly; Time to Restore Integrity - Discovery Institute - July 18th, 2020
- Is it time to add 'the great' to St. John Paul II? - Greenville Daily Reflector - July 16th, 2020
- Hagia Sophia and the test of time - TRT World - July 16th, 2020
- New Book Tells the Story of Beaver Island's King Strang - MyNorth.com - July 16th, 2020
- Feuerbach's anthropological atheism to be discussed in Tehran - Iran Book News Agency - July 12th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 330: It's Okay for CNN to Say Jesus Wasn't Perfect - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - July 12th, 2020
- Atheism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - July 12th, 2020
- Atheism | Age of Empires Series Wiki | Fandom - July 12th, 2020
- What is atheism? - Atheist Alliance International - July 12th, 2020
- The History of Atheism - dummies - July 12th, 2020
- Key Differences Between Atheism and Agnosticism - July 12th, 2020
- The Presence of the Gods | John Beckett - Patheos - July 11th, 2020
- Share the Good News in these trying times - Pratt Tribune - July 11th, 2020
- Reason is on the side of faith Faith works on a different plane, asking questions that science cant - Economic Times - June 21st, 2020