Artificial Intelligence (AI) has been redefining society in ways we have never anticipated. Technology is clinging to us in every walk of our lives, right from unlocking our smartphones to our day-to-day activities, online shopping, intelligent car dashboards, autonomous robots and so on. Though the concept of AI was first talked about in the early 1950s, forming a basis for many computer learning and complex decision-making processes, it is only of late, where processing huge amounts of data is required, that this field of technology is picking up pace.
What is in the AI basket?
AI is not a technology, rather it is a science or field of study. It is a constellation that encompasses a lot of statistical computation methods, pre and post analyses techniques for handling structured and unstructured data. It is an interesting endeavour of replicating and stimulating human intelligence through machine and deep learning platforms, natural language generation, virtual agents, text-voice-image recognition, AI optimised hardware, robotic process automation, cognitive search system and so on. It has a goal of utilising all the technologies to make intelligent machines.
Growth of AI in India
AI is the tool of innovation being experimented with, in almost all Indian domains, including healthcare, education, agriculture, finance, automobiles, energy, retail, manufacturing, scientific research with autonomous discoveries in place. In India, companies like Walmart, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Samsung are into AI-based research and product offerings. Still, our country has a lot of potential to expand its research in this cutting-edge technology. Most of our educational, government and private institutes cradle and motivate AI researchers, innovations and start-ups.
The Government is pushing the private sector and offers many opportunities through DST, Niti Aayog, IndiaAI and many more, to create innovative technological solutions and fund AI-based start-ups. The start-ups are focussed in the cities like Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Delhi for AI-based businesses.
Why AI matters in todays scenario
AI, which emerged from the research world as a proof-of-concept has been strategically scaling up due to the pace of digitisation. AI is favoured for its large data processing, end-to-end efficiency of decoding complex processes, improved accuracy and help in decision-making, intelligent offerings, smart services - content, task automation and so on. We can see its overwhelming development in healthcare, pharmaceutical, scientific research, and e-commerce.
The interactive applications of Google, DeepMinds Alpha Fold, BenevolentAI, chatbots such as Clara and Zini; Aryoga Setu, Co-Win, Amazon, Zomato, Swiggy are among the few proving to be our pandemic tech saviours.
Impact of AI in business
Business over the years has evolved from local corner shops to the booming online shopping platforms. These modernised techniques not only make individual lives easier, but also streamline business processes for improving consumer experience, sales forecasting and automated decision making to meet business goals. Businesses work well when humans, machines and technologies integrate for each others benefit. Todays business world is solely dependent on AI, Cloud, Big Data technologies of which e-commerce and m-commerce are the mainstream, having a great business impact globally. In synch with global developments in innovation and automation, India too has brought about a digital transformation over the last two decades. Now, technological developments have gained pace more than what has been predicted; the pandemic played a great role in its quick transformation and adoption.
How to look for jobs in AI?
Today, Artificial Intelligence is a lucrative domain, promising job growth in a competitive IT industry. Four out of five C-suite executives believe that they need to speed up data processing and automation, if they have to survive in their business. So, recruiters look for advanced technical skills, extensive practical experience. AI skills secure the top place among the fastest growing job profiles over the recent years. The prominent job roles include big data engineer, business intelligence developer, data scientist, data analyst, cyber analyst and expert, AI-Deep learning-machine learning engineer, computer vision specialist along with equivalent research jobs.
How can one find a good job in AI? The answer is, there are several avenues and opportunities to be had by connecting with experts via LinkedIn, technical blogs, career fairs and company career sites. The tech talks given by companies in university, conclaves hosting academics-government-industry groups will help you understand the actual employment needs and goals. Always aim to seek opportunities at government and industry-funded research labs during the early years of your higher education. This will help you to nurture your skillset to the best. Work for open-source and stack overflow contributions which will add value to your technical profile. Technical competitions like hackathons/ideathons/makeathons will upskill your innovative ideas along with the required life skills.
Globally, today we are in a challenging situation. All, irrespective of the sectors, are working on the revamp strategy to balance the economy post Covid-19. AI will endeavour to revive the profitability and development of industry . New and advanced opportunities are expected to open up.
AI is and will be driving a promising future in the new normal. It will be the main driver for emerging and new technologies. So, take an interdisciplinary approach to hone your skills in an ever-evolving field. Think big, start small, act fast.
(The writer is Professor & Chairperson, School of Computing, SRM Institute of Science and Technology.)
See the article here:
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI) ? | IBM - January 31st, 2023
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | Oracle - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial intelligence | NIST - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, Types, Applications ... - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - INL - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): What it is and why it matters - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) - United States Department of State - January 31st, 2023
- Shaping the Future of Artificial Intelligence AI: The Significance of Prompt Engineering for Progress and Innovation - MarkTechPost - January 31st, 2023
- A European approach to artificial intelligence | Shaping Europes ... - December 30th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence | Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science ... - December 30th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine | IBM - December 14th, 2022
- The Wild Future of Artificial Intelligence - The Atlantic - December 14th, 2022
- The Increased Spending On Defense Will Propel The AI in Military Market Size To More Than $11 Billion By 2026 As Per The Business Research Company's... - December 14th, 2022
- #Meta Announced That It Has Expanded Its Artificial Intelligence Face-scanning Tool ... - Latest Tweet by - LatestLY - December 6th, 2022
- NASA Sets Launch Date for Mission to $10 Quintillion Asteroid - November 4th, 2022
- Greta Thunberg Says UN Climate Conference Is a Scam and She's Not Attending - November 4th, 2022
- Twitter Working on Plan to Charge Users to Watch Videos - November 4th, 2022
- There's Something Strange About How These Stars Are Moving, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- Manslaughter Case Has a Strange Twist: Tesla That Killed Couple Was on Autopilot - November 4th, 2022
- Cats May Be Tampering With Crime Scenes, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Huge Drone Swarm to Form Giant Advertisement Over NYC Skyline - November 4th, 2022
- Elon Musk Meeting With Advertisers, Begging Them Not to Leave Twitter - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Found a Way to Control How High Mice Got on Cocaine - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Spot "Stripped, Pulsating Core" of Star Caused By Horrific Accident - November 4th, 2022
- US Gov to Crack Down on "Bossware" That Spies On Employees' Computers - November 4th, 2022
- China Plans to Send Monkeys to Space Station to Have Sex With Each Other - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Use Actual Lunar Soil Sample to Create Rocket Fuel - November 4th, 2022
- AOC Says Her Twitter Account Broke After She Made Fun of Elon Musk - November 4th, 2022
- Jeff Bezos' Housekeeper Says She Had to Climb Out the Window to Use the Bathroom - November 4th, 2022
- Chinese Spaceplane Releases Mystery Object Into Orbit - November 4th, 2022
- Hackers Just Took Down One of the World's Most Advanced Telescopes - November 4th, 2022
- That "Research" About How Smartphones Are Causing Deformed Human Bodies Is SEO Spam, You Idiots - November 4th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence Regulation Updates: China, EU, and U.S - The National Law Review - August 5th, 2022
- Artificial intelligence isn't that intelligent | The Strategist - The Strategist - August 5th, 2022
- Can artificial intelligence really help us talk to the animals? - The Guardian - August 5th, 2022
- Researchers use artificial intelligence to create a treasure map of undiscovered ant species - EurekAlert - August 5th, 2022
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Diagnosis Market Research Report 2022: Rising Adoption of Healthcare Artificial Intelligence in Research... - August 5th, 2022
- Elon Musk and Silicon Valley's Overreliance on Artificial Intelligence - The Wire - August 5th, 2022
- High Five: Artificial Intelligence-Generated Campaigns and Experiments | LBBOnline - Little Black Book - LBBonline - August 5th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence In Insurtech Market Is Expected to Boom- Cognizant, Next IT Corp, Kasisto - Digital Journal - August 5th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence is the Future of the Banking Industry Are You Prepared for It? - International Banker - August 5th, 2022
- Some Idiot Asked The Dall.E mini Artificial Intelligence Program What The Last Selfies Of Humans Will Look Like And Good News, We're Definitely Headed... - August 5th, 2022
- Can Artificial Intelligence Be Creative? - Discovery Institute - June 29th, 2022
- Worldwide Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drug Discovery Market to reach $ 4.0 billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 45.7% - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - June 29th, 2022
- Glorikian's New Book Sheds Light on Artificial Intelligence Advances in the Healthcare Field - The Armenian Mirror-Spectator - June 29th, 2022
- Deep Dive Into Advanced AI and Machine Learning at The Behavox Artificial Intelligence in Compliance and Security Conference - Business Wire - June 29th, 2022
- What's Your Future of Work Path With Artificial Intelligence? - CMSWire - June 29th, 2022
- How artificial intelligence is boosting crop yield to feed the world - Freethink - June 29th, 2022
- Taking the guesswork out of dental care with artificial intelligence - MIT News - June 29th, 2022
- IT, Computing and Communications (ITCC) Technology Innovations/Growth Opportunities Report 2022 with Focus on Cloud, Artificial Intelligence, and Edge... - June 29th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in Education Market Size, Scope and Forecast | Google Inc., Microsoft Corporation, eGain Corporation, QlikTech International... - June 29th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in Medical Imaging Market Analysis by Trends, Demand, Products and Technology Forecast to 2028 Designer Women - Designer... - June 29th, 2022
- Lockheed testing artificial intelligence to fight wildfires - FOX 31 Denver - May 12th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning and the Future of National Security - smallwarsjournal - May 12th, 2022
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach US$341.4 Billion by the Year 2027 - Yahoo Finance - May 12th, 2022
- Why artificial intelligence is vital in the race to meet the SDGs - World Economic Forum - May 12th, 2022
- Glean Named to Forbes AI 50 List of Top Artificial Intelligence Companies of 2022 - Yahoo Finance - May 12th, 2022
- Can Artificial Intelligence remove unintended bias from health care? Clinicians optimistic, but wary - Medical University of South Carolina - May 12th, 2022
- Living in the age of conscious-technology An interview with artificial intelligence innovator, Matthew James Bailey - Crestone Eagle - May 12th, 2022
- Predicting Others Behavior on the Road With Artificial Intelligence - SciTechDaily - May 12th, 2022
- Artificial intelligence drives the way to net-zero emissions - Sustainability Magazine - May 12th, 2022
- The 1997 chess game that thrust AI into the spotlight - ETTelecom - May 12th, 2022
- Googles I/O Conference Offers Modest Vision of the Future - The New York Times - May 12th, 2022
- National Technology Day: How artificial intelligence is helping MSMEs to optimize processes, accelerate growth - The Financial Express - May 12th, 2022
- AI, philosophy and religion: what machine learning can tell us about the Bhagavad Gita - The Conversation - May 12th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market Global Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2029 Queen Anne and Mangolia News - Queen Anne and... - May 12th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in Medical Imaging Market In Depth Analysis Along with Statistics and Forecast 2022-2029 Queen Anne and Mangolia News - Queen... - May 12th, 2022
- A European approach to artificial intelligence | Shaping ... - April 28th, 2022
- Artificial intelligence in factory maintenance is no longer a matter of the future - ReadWrite - April 28th, 2022
- LEFT TO MY OWN DEVICES: Be smart. Welcome new artificial intelligence solutions. - Times Tribune of Corbin - April 28th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence and Chemical and Biological Weapons - Lawfare - Lawfare - April 28th, 2022
- Pentagon Names Chief Digital and Artificial Intelligence Officer - Nextgov - April 28th, 2022
- A new vision of artificial intelligence for the people - MIT Technology Review - April 28th, 2022
- BrainBox AI Brings Artificial Intelligence to Mountain Development Corp. with Installations in Two of its Commercial Office Buildings - GlobeNewswire - April 28th, 2022
- Exclusive: We Interviewed the CEO of SkyNet About Their Recent Breakthroughs in Artificial Intelligence - Hard Drive - April 28th, 2022
- Arolsen Archives' #everynamecounts Project Uses Artificial Intelligence to Help Uncover Information on Victims of Nazi Persecution - LJ INFOdocket - April 28th, 2022
- Artificial intelligence aids to diagnose mild cognitive impairment that progresses to Alzheimer's - EurekAlert - April 28th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence & the Economy: Charting a Path for Responsible and Inclusive AI U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of... - April 28th, 2022
- Artificial intelligence in Manufacturing market size is valued at USD 2.3 billion in 2022 and is anticipated to be USD 16.3 billion by 2027; growing... - April 28th, 2022