Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the most important ethical issue of our age. It already impacts on so much of our social interactions and work-life patterns. Its certain that it will continue to play an ever-increasing role in all our lives.
Last year, Facebook claimed it would be able to predict when we will die, along with other key life events, from marriages to deaths, based on social media activity. As Jews, we should query the benefits and pitfalls of social media platforms and other data harvesting behemoths soon having these capabilities.
Its encouraging that some leading international data scientists are now keen to engage with philosophers and faith leaders as they start to deal with the ethical issues raised by AI. They know that people involved in faith have had thousands of years of practice discussing issues such as AI, which are hard to define but have a great impact on humanity. Ethical subjects ranging from war to the meaning of humanity and consciousness can be tackled by both religious leaders and scientists in a mutually beneficial relationship.
For instance, London is the city with the second highest level of surveillance in the world, behind Beijing, meaning that every Londoner is caught on CCTV approximately 300 times a day. What would Jewish teachings say about the ethical way to use all the data collected?
The Talmud used the phrasepuk chazi, meaning go look at what is in the marketplace, to emphasise that listening to what people are thinking, feeling and saying is an important step in writing laws that reflect the nature of society.
Analysing peoples behaviours from social media creates a dilemma while its useful knowing how people react to new information and misinformation, the 280 characters of a tweet can never tell the full story, and may completely skew the truth. If we extrapolate only from social media, at best we lose information and nuance and, at worst, we cause damage that cannot be undone as the online data is available forever.
Further questions arise if someone posts a photo of themselves smoking when they have claimed to be a non-smoker on their health insurance, should the social media platform share that with the insurer? Would it be right for the persons premiums to increase as a result?
I recently attended Data Science Africa in Ghana to better understand these issues. Africa is a place where learning about the power of data is used for vital issues such as water supply, climate change, agriculture and life-threatening illnesses including malaria. Learning about the use of AI in Africa is increasingly pertinent, as demographic shifts mean a significant part of world population growth in the coming decades will come from Africa within 15 years, one in four will live on the continent. Mustafa, who runs the new Google AI Lab in Ghana explained this by telling me that as a 34-year-old, he is older than 70 per cent of Sub-Saharan Africa.
Learning from Africa is vital as many of the problems already being encountered in regions of Africa will become the whole worlds problems as the climate crisis worsens. The solutions to extreme heat and water scarcity being developed in Ghana can be replicated worldwide.
This might seem remote, but data is already hugely important to our ability to lead a Jewish life in safety in the UK. If a synagogues database were hacked by a far-right group, its members could be in severe danger. Our security is now dependent on our cyber security.
We cannot switch off from the issue. We need to learn to understand it, get involved in it and impact on it. Just as we see a role for ourselves as Jews in medicine, law and a vast array of disciplines so, too, should we seek an active role in data science. If it affects us day-to-day, we cant just delegate it to others.
Rabbi Janner-Klausner grew up in London; worked as an educator in Jerusalem for 15 years working with Jews and as dialogue facilitator trainer of Palestinians and Israelis. She is the Senior Rabbi to Reform Judaism in the UK.
- Artificial intelligence: The rising star of education - Daily Sabah - December 3rd, 2019
- Asia-Pacific Digital Transformation Markets 2019-2024: Focus on 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Opinion | The artificial intelligence frontier of economic theory - Livemint - December 3rd, 2019
- Seminar - Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Young People - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2019
- Triple your CX impact with artificial intelligence and these five tactics - CXNetwork - December 3rd, 2019
- BioSig Technologies Announces New Collaboration on Development of Artificial Intelligence Solutions in Healthcare - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Amazon makes three major AI announcements during re:Invent 2019 - AI News - December 3rd, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence on humans - Bangkok Post - December 3rd, 2019
- What Jobs Will Artificial Intelligence Affect? - EHS Today - December 3rd, 2019
- India wants to be on the cusp of artificial intelligence but lacks the laws to back it up - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- Artificial intelligence use 'must be transparent and accountable' - The Irish News - December 3rd, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence will change the economic future - Industry Global News 24 - December 3rd, 2019
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence will impact the human workforce - RCR Wireless News - December 3rd, 2019
- It Pays To Break Artificial Intelligence Out Of The Lab, Study Confirms - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Dyno Therapeutics Announces Research Published in Science Enabling Artificial Intelligence Approach to Create New AAV Capsids for Gene Therapies -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence, climate change and the U.S military - The Red (Team) Analysis Society - December 3rd, 2019
- The Best Artificial Intelligence Stocks of 2019 -- and The Top AI Stock for 2020 - The Motley Fool - December 3rd, 2019
- Verata Health Named Leading Innovative Artificial Intelligence Company by the American Hospital Association - PR Web - December 3rd, 2019
- How To Get Your Rsum Past The Artificial Intelligence Gatekeepers - Forbes - November 20th, 2019
- Highlights: Addressing fairness in the context of artificial intelligence - Brookings Institution - November 20th, 2019
- Newsrooms have five years to embrace artificial intelligence or they risk becoming irrelevant - Journalism.co.uk - November 20th, 2019
- The Initiative for Indigenous Futures on Artificial Intelligence - Cool Hunting - November 20th, 2019
- 4 Reasons to Use Artificial Intelligence in Your Next Embedded Design - DesignNews - November 20th, 2019
- Colorado at the forefront of AI and what it means for jobs of the future - The Denver Channel - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence has become a driving force in everyday life, says LivePerson CEO - CNBC - November 20th, 2019
- Two-thirds of employees would trust a robot boss more than a real one - World Economic Forum - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence engines have implicit biases - The Daily Titan - November 20th, 2019
- Microsoft Aims to Bring AI to Mainstream Collaboration with Project Cortex - Channel Futures - November 20th, 2019
- Scientists used IBM Watson to discover an ancient humanoid stick figure - Business Insider - November 20th, 2019
- Is it worth investing in artificial intelligence? - ITProPortal - November 20th, 2019
- The Future Of Artificial Intelligence In Retail - Digital Information World - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Will Enable the Future, Blockchain Will Secure It - Cointelegraph - November 20th, 2019
- Elon Musk's AI warning: Artificial Intelligence is a 'potential danger to the public' - Express.co.uk - November 20th, 2019
- Epileptic Seizure Prediction becomes much easier with the new Artificial Intelligence technology - Digital Information World - November 20th, 2019
- Public fears about artificial intelligence are 'not the fault of A.I.' itself, tech exec says - CNBC - November 20th, 2019
- Three Legal Areas to Think About When Using Artificial Intelligence in the Workplace - JD Supra - November 20th, 2019
- Intel to Expand Role in High-Performance Computing and Artificial Intelligence - Financialbuzz.com - November 20th, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - November 20th, 2019
- Is it worth investing in artificial intelligence? - ITProPortal - November 13th, 2019
- 13 Mind-Blowing Things Artificial Intelligence Can Already Do Today - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Is Cloud AI a Fad? The Shortcomings of Cloud Artificial Intelligence - CTOvision - November 13th, 2019
- AI Can Tell If You're Going to Die Soon. We Just Don't Know How It Knows. - Popular Mechanics - November 13th, 2019
- How can artificial intelligence improve the superyacht industry? - Superyacht News - The Superyacht Report - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Too Important to Leave to Google and Facebook Alone - The New York Times - November 13th, 2019
- The Army Is Bringing Artificial Intelligence To Its Armored Vehicles - The National Interest Online - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence to run the chemical factories of the future | Illinois - University of Illinois News Bureau - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence to pave way for new professions - Daily Sabah - November 13th, 2019
- AI and automation will disrupt our world but only Andrew Yang is warning about it | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2019
- "Artificial intelligence is not the future - it is happening right now" - Journalism.co.uk - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence (AI): what you need to know about the megatrend - Finance Market News - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence sales platform, Enerjoy, Launches its series A fundraising round at an event held in SAP Next Gen HQ in NYC - PRNewswire - November 13th, 2019
- AI deemed 'too dangerous to release' makes it out into the world - The Independent - November 13th, 2019
- Vision Artificial Intelligence Can Help Minimize Angst, For Companies And Customers, In The Relocation/Moving Industry - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence And Ethics: The Need For EQ Along With IQ - Express Computer - November 13th, 2019
- JP Morgan Invests Undisclosed Amount in Limeglass, an Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Research Analysis Firm - Crowdfund Insider - November 13th, 2019
- These artificial intelligence bartenders are the future of festive parties - Prestige Online - November 13th, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Being Used To Diagnose Disease And Design New Drugs - Forbes - October 1st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence is driving the UK's NextGen jobs - Study International News - October 1st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Creating New Art From The Work Of A Deceased Manga Great - Kotaku - October 1st, 2019
- Fearing a future of artificial intelligence haves and have-nots - The Seattle Times - October 1st, 2019
- Zen and the art of artificial intelligence - The Drum - October 1st, 2019
- Patenting Considerations for Artificial Intelligence in Biotech and Synthetic Biology - JD Supra - October 1st, 2019
- New Survey Reveals that HR Leaders Are Prioritizing Artificial Intelligence to Improve the Employee Experience - PRNewswire - October 1st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence is driving the next generation of jobs in the UK - Information Age - October 1st, 2019
- Novartis and Microsoft announce collaboration to transform medicine with artificial intelligence - GlobeNewswire - October 1st, 2019
- Science centers adults-only event has artificial intelligence (and spooky) theme - Orlando Sentinel - October 1st, 2019
- Is Artificial Intelligence a danger to humanity? Take a look at the truth - India Today - October 1st, 2019
- Pope Francis on artificial intelligence: Does it really risk barbarism? - Verdict - October 1st, 2019
- New Artificial Intelligence Tool Will Show Nonprofits What's Working and What's Not - PRNewswire - October 1st, 2019
- On-Demand Concierge & Life-Saving Artificial Intelligence Now Available to 5.3M California Medicare Recipients Through Alignment Health Plan -... - October 1st, 2019
- Will AI really transform education? - The Hechinger Report - October 1st, 2019
- Spending on Artificial Intelligence systems in the Middle East & Africa to top $374 million in 2020 - TelecomTV - October 1st, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - October 1st, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing The Landscape Of Digital Marketing - Inc42 Media - October 1st, 2019
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - October 1st, 2019
- Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Reconstruct Ancient Games - Atlas Obscura - October 1st, 2019
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - May 28th, 2019