Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the most important ethical issue of our age. It already impacts on so much of our social interactions and work-life patterns. Its certain that it will continue to play an ever-increasing role in all our lives.
Last year, Facebook claimed it would be able to predict when we will die, along with other key life events, from marriages to deaths, based on social media activity. As Jews, we should query the benefits and pitfalls of social media platforms and other data harvesting behemoths soon having these capabilities.
Its encouraging that some leading international data scientists are now keen to engage with philosophers and faith leaders as they start to deal with the ethical issues raised by AI. They know that people involved in faith have had thousands of years of practice discussing issues such as AI, which are hard to define but have a great impact on humanity. Ethical subjects ranging from war to the meaning of humanity and consciousness can be tackled by both religious leaders and scientists in a mutually beneficial relationship.
For instance, London is the city with the second highest level of surveillance in the world, behind Beijing, meaning that every Londoner is caught on CCTV approximately 300 times a day. What would Jewish teachings say about the ethical way to use all the data collected?
The Talmud used the phrasepuk chazi, meaning go look at what is in the marketplace, to emphasise that listening to what people are thinking, feeling and saying is an important step in writing laws that reflect the nature of society.
Analysing peoples behaviours from social media creates a dilemma while its useful knowing how people react to new information and misinformation, the 280 characters of a tweet can never tell the full story, and may completely skew the truth. If we extrapolate only from social media, at best we lose information and nuance and, at worst, we cause damage that cannot be undone as the online data is available forever.
Further questions arise if someone posts a photo of themselves smoking when they have claimed to be a non-smoker on their health insurance, should the social media platform share that with the insurer? Would it be right for the persons premiums to increase as a result?
I recently attended Data Science Africa in Ghana to better understand these issues. Africa is a place where learning about the power of data is used for vital issues such as water supply, climate change, agriculture and life-threatening illnesses including malaria. Learning about the use of AI in Africa is increasingly pertinent, as demographic shifts mean a significant part of world population growth in the coming decades will come from Africa within 15 years, one in four will live on the continent. Mustafa, who runs the new Google AI Lab in Ghana explained this by telling me that as a 34-year-old, he is older than 70 per cent of Sub-Saharan Africa.
Learning from Africa is vital as many of the problems already being encountered in regions of Africa will become the whole worlds problems as the climate crisis worsens. The solutions to extreme heat and water scarcity being developed in Ghana can be replicated worldwide.
This might seem remote, but data is already hugely important to our ability to lead a Jewish life in safety in the UK. If a synagogues database were hacked by a far-right group, its members could be in severe danger. Our security is now dependent on our cyber security.
We cannot switch off from the issue. We need to learn to understand it, get involved in it and impact on it. Just as we see a role for ourselves as Jews in medicine, law and a vast array of disciplines so, too, should we seek an active role in data science. If it affects us day-to-day, we cant just delegate it to others.
Rabbi Janner-Klausner grew up in London; worked as an educator in Jerusalem for 15 years working with Jews and as dialogue facilitator trainer of Palestinians and Israelis. She is the Senior Rabbi to Reform Judaism in the UK.
- Break into artificial intelligence with this four-course ... - July 13th, 2020
- New Report from Corinium and FICO Signals Increased Demand for Artificial Intelligence in the Age of COVID-19 - PRNewswire - July 13th, 2020
- Burden of COVID-19 on the Market & Rehabilitation Plan | Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market in Manufacturing Industry 2019-2023 | The Increasing... - July 13th, 2020
- Where it Counts, U.S. Leads in Artificial Intelligence - Department of Defense - July 13th, 2020
- The path to real-world artificial intelligence - TechRepublic - July 13th, 2020
- Healthcare Artificial Intelligence Market Analysis Of Global Trends, Demand And Competition 2020-2028 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- The journey that organizations should embark on to realize the true potential of AI - The Indian Express - July 13th, 2020
- Commentary: Artificial intelligence and automation would actually benefit Singapore - CNA - July 13th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Innovations Induced Industrywide Advancements? - Analytics Insight - July 13th, 2020
- Break into artificial intelligence with this four-course online training for $35 - ZDNet - July 13th, 2020
- Integrating Artificial Intelligence in Treatment Planning - Imaging Technology News - July 13th, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Industry Market Trend Analysis and Major Factors Forecast Report till 2025 - CueReport - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Transportation Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence In Transportation Market 2020: Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Key Players, Growth Trends and Forecast Till 2025 - Apsters... - July 13th, 2020
- High Growth of Steady Explore Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Construction Market size, Growth analysis & forecast report to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 13th, 2020
- Enterprise Artificial Intelligence Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape,... - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Construction Market will drastically increase in the Future | brandessenceresearch.biz - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Top 12 Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Impact Healthcare - July 12th, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence to Address Criminal Justice ... - July 12th, 2020
- Augmented Intelligence is the New Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- MULTIMEDIA UPDATE - New Research Reveals Adoption and Implementation of Artificial Intelligence in the Enterprise - GlobeNewswire - July 12th, 2020
- trusted computing artificial intelligence (AI) information warfare - Military & Aerospace Electronics - July 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence will aid in better decision-making capacity - Livemint - July 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis - Artificial Intelligence Platforms Market 2020-2024 | Rise in Demand for AI-based Solutions to Boost Growth |... - July 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Artificial Intelligence: How the pandemic has re-ignited a focus on the software - Savannah Morning News - July 12th, 2020
- Second plenary meeting of the Ad Hoc Committee on Artificial Intelligence (CAHAI) - Council of Europe - July 12th, 2020
- LI startup predicts where COVID-19 will spike - Newsday - July 12th, 2020
- How Innovation is Changing the Artificial Intelligence in Telecommunication Market - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- AI In Human Resources To AI or not to AI? - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- Ardigen Enters Into Research Collaboration With CVC to Apply Artificial Intelligence for Identification of T-cell Targets - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2020
- 'Make in India': Artificial Intelligence Company, AiBridge ML, Adds Handwriting and Image Recognition Capabilities to AiMunshi, the Popular Financial... - July 12th, 2020
- CORRECTION - OMNIQs Artificial Intelligence-Based Quest Shield Solution Selected by the Talmudical Academy of Baltimore - Financialbuzz.com - July 12th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Could Lead to Better Investment Decisions - Barron's - July 12th, 2020
- European Parliament names MEPs on artificial intelligence, cancer plan and foreign interference committees - Science Business - July 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: worth the hype? - BusinessCloud - July 12th, 2020
- The Amalgamation of Human Brain and Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- Latest Trends in the Field of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 11th, 2020
- The main beneficiaries of artificial intelligence success are IT departments themselves - ZDNet - July 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Market is Anticipated to Cross US$ 15 Billion By 2025 MRE Analysis - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- Charting the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Shipping - BBN Times - July 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Education System Market: Revenue Growth and Applications Insights till 2030 - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis | Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market In BFSI Sector 2019-2023 | Focus On Autonomous Banking to Boost Growth |... - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Powered COVID-19 Diagnosis Tool to Seek Lung Scan Images from India - The Weather Channel - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence should be used to augment human creativity - not replace it - Bizcommunity.com - July 8th, 2020
- Forums held ahead of World Artificial Intelligence Conference - Chinadaily USA - July 8th, 2020
- VeChain Is Attending the World Artificial Intelligence Conference 2020 Hosted - AiThority - July 8th, 2020
- ContractPodAi and Bowmans Partner to Bring Artificial Intelligence-Powered Contract Management to the African Market - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- How Machine Learning Will Impact the Future of Software Development and Testing - ReadWrite - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Definition - Investopedia - May 31st, 2020
- The Temptations Of Artificial Intelligence Technology And The Price Of Admission - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence offers a chance to optimize COVID-19 treatment in international partnership - Vanderbilt University News - May 31st, 2020
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 31st, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is hopelessly biased - and that's how it will stay - TechRadar India - May 31st, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 31st, 2020
- Art and artifice - The Indian Express - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence software improves accuracy, doubles speed in evaluating CT scans of advanced cancer - UAB News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 31st, 2020
- The Use of Artificial Intelligence by Investment Advisers: Considerations Based on an Advisers Fiduciary Duties - JD Supra - May 31st, 2020
- Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Infrastructures job with UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL | 208485 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 31st, 2020
- Walmart Employees Are Out to Show Its Anti-Shoplifting AI Doesn't Work - WIRED - May 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 31st, 2020
- IIT-Ropar and TSW Launch a PG Programme in Artificial Intelligence - THE WEEK - May 31st, 2020
- MS in Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence - May 19th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? | Azure Blog and Updates ... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are the Advantages of Artificial Intelligence ... - May 19th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - May 19th, 2020
- It's Called Artificial Intelligencebut What Is Intelligence? - WIRED - May 19th, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 19th, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence-based imaging reconstruction may lead to incorrect diagnoses, experts caution - Radiology Business - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Covid Frontline - Morningstar - May 19th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 19th, 2020