NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) So many families have felt the pain of losing a loved one to a drug overdose, and now, new artificial intelligence technology is being used to help prevent such tragedies.
When you have a family member who lives this lifestyle, its a call you always know could come, Megan Wohltjen said.
Wohltjens brother, Samuel Grunlund, died of an overdose in March 2020, just two days after leaving a treatment facility. He was 27.
Very happy person. He was extremely athletic. Really intelligent, like, straight A student He started, you know, smoking marijuana and then experimenting with other drugs, Wohltjen told CBS2s Natalie Duddridge.
He wanted to get clean and addiction just destroyed his life, said Maura Grunlund, Sams mother.
Since Sams death, his mother and sister have been advocating for a new program they believe could have saved him. Its called Hotspotting the Opioid Crisis.
Researchers at MIT developed artificial intelligence that aims to stop an overdose before it happens.
This project has never been tried before, and its an effort to combine highly innovative predictive analytics and an AI-based algorithm to identify those who are most at risk of an overdose, said former congressman Max Rose, with the Secure Future Project.
The technology screens thousands of medical records through data sharing with doctors, pharmacies and law enforcement.
For example, over time, it might flag if a known drug user missed a treatment session, didnt show up to court or, in Sams case, just completed a rehab program. It then alerts health care professionals.
Im just calling to check in to see how things are going, said Dr. Joseph Conte,executive director of Staten Island Performing Provider System.
Conte says the program trains dozens of peer advocates who themselves are recovering addicts. They reach out to at-risk individuals and find out what they need from jobs to housing to therapy.
Theres no pressure on the patient to enter rehab. The goal is to keep them alive.
We cant help them if theyre dead If youre not ready for treatment, you should be ready for harm reduction. You should have Narcan available if you or a friend overdoses, Conte said.
Health officials say a record number of people, 100,000, died of overdoses in 2020.
This year alone on Staten Island, more than 70 people have fatally overdosed.
The number of opioid deaths per 100,000 people on Staten Island is about 170% higher than the national rate. Officials say fentanyl is largely to blame, and the lethal drug was found in 80% of Staten Island toxicology reports.
I believe that my son would be alive today if he hadnt used fentanyl I really feel that if this was any other disease, people would be up in arms, Maura Grunlund said.
Wohltjen says her brother always encouraged her to run the New York City Marathon, so this year, she did it, wearing his Little League baseball hat and raising thousands of dollars for the Partnership to End Addiction.
If we could save one life it would make a difference, Wohltjen said.
- Artificial intelligence to influence top tech trends in major way in next five years - The National - January 11th, 2022
- Could Artificial Intelligence Do More Harm Than Good to Society? - The Motley Fool - January 11th, 2022
- How A.I. is set to evolve in 2022 - CNBC - January 11th, 2022
- Benzinga The Artificial Intelligence Investments Podcast - Benzinga - January 11th, 2022
- Using Artificial Intelligence To See the Plasma Edge of Fusion Experiments in New Ways - SciTechDaily - January 11th, 2022
- etherFAX Unlocks Structured Data and Eliminates Information Silos with its Artificial Intelligence Solution for Automated Data Extraction - Healthcare... - January 11th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence to Assist, Tutor, Teach and Assess in Higher Ed - Inside Higher Ed - January 11th, 2022
- Identifying Risk of Adverse Outcomes in COVID-19 Patients via Artificial Intelligence-Powered Analysis of 12-Lead Intake Electrocardiogram - DocWire... - January 11th, 2022
- 193 countries adopt first-ever global agreement on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence - UN News - November 29th, 2021
- Seattle Researchers Claim to Have Built Artificial Intelligence That Has Morality - The Great Courses Daily News - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in oncology: current applications and future perspectives | British Journal of Cancer - Nature.com - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence may not actually be the solution for stopping the spread of fake news - The Conversation CA - November 29th, 2021
- Computer Conservation: Lily Xu Uses Artificial Intelligence To Stop Poaching Around the World - SciTechDaily - November 29th, 2021
- 6 positive AI visions for the future of work - World Economic Forum - November 29th, 2021
- Global AI (Artificial Intelligence) Market Report 2021: Ethical AI Practices and Advisory will be Incorporated in AI Technology Growth Strategy to... - November 29th, 2021
- Defining what's ethical in artificial intelligence needs input from Africans - The Conversation CA - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence reveals the secrets of the spider web - Digital Journal - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to count tens of thousands of puffins - The Scotsman - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and mobility, who's at the wheel? - Innovation Origins - November 29th, 2021
- [Webinar] Balancing Compliance with AI Solutions - How Artificial Intelligence Can Drive the Future of Work by Enabling Fair, Efficient, and Auditable... - November 29th, 2021
- Can artificial intelligence be harnessed to protect the public from random assailants? - The Japan Times - November 29th, 2021
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence Autonomous Killing Machines: What You Need to Know About Military AI - SOFREP - November 29th, 2021
- Top Artificial Intelligence Jobs in MNCs to Apply this Nov Weekend - Analytics Insight - November 29th, 2021
- Who Says AI Is Not For Women? Here Are 6 Women Leading AI Field In India - SheThePeople - November 29th, 2021
- Job hunting nightmare: 1,000 plus job applications and still no offers - ABC Action News - November 29th, 2021
- ITV Will Use Artificial Intelligence To Tailor Adverts For Its Viewers - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - November 29th, 2021
- Yes, it has been offside: FIFA tests an artificial intelligence system with a view to using it in the Qatar World Cup - InTallaght - November 29th, 2021
- UC adopts recommendations for the responsible use of Artificial Intelligence - Preuss School Ucsd - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare? 'Don't focus solely on technology' - Innovation Origins - October 20th, 2021
- How Will Health Care Regulators Address Artificial Intelligence? - The Regulatory Review - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence to Boost the Global Wound Care Market by 2026 with Minimal Intervention Solutions - inForney.com - October 20th, 2021
- Global Artificial Intelligence Market Is Expected To Set A New Benchmark With A CAGR Of 40.2% By 2028 | Up Market Research - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions, Inc. Reports Revenue Increases of Over 400% Over Same Period Prior Year as Shown in 2nd Quarter SEC... - October 20th, 2021
- WVU Researchers Using Artificial Intelligence To Help Diagnose Those With Autism - West Virginia Public Broadcasting - October 20th, 2021
- Potential of Artificial Intelligence Replacing Animal Testing in the Future - Analytics Insight - October 20th, 2021
- Putting artificial intelligence at the heart of health care with help from MIT - MIT News - October 20th, 2021
- What is Artificial Intelligence as a Service (AIaaS)? | ITBE - IT Business Edge - October 20th, 2021
- Understanding the UK Artificial Intelligence commercialisation - GOV.UK - October 20th, 2021
- Beethoven's Unfinished 10th Symphony Brought to Life by Artificial Intelligence - Scientific American - October 20th, 2021
- The 5 articles you read in AI hell - The Next Web - October 20th, 2021
- Transactions in the Age of Artificial Intelligence: Risks and Considerations - JD Supra - October 20th, 2021
- SenseTime Co-hosts the 3rd International Artificial Intelligence Fair to Nurture AI Talent and Promote a Collaborative Education Ecosystem -... - October 20th, 2021
- Alation Acquires Artificial Intelligence Vendor Lyngo Analytics - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- AI in the courts - The Indian Express - July 12th, 2021
- Infrared cameras and artificial intelligence provide insight into boiling - MIT News - July 12th, 2021
- COVID: Artificial intelligence in the pandemic - DW (English) - July 12th, 2021
- The smart role of Artificial Intelligence in todays world - BL on Campus - July 12th, 2021
- Which companies are leading the way for artificial intelligence in the aerospace, defence & security sector? Companies leading the way for... - July 12th, 2021
- Navigating the Intersections of Data, Artificial Intelligence, and Privacy - JD Supra - July 12th, 2021
- Companies leading the way for artificial intelligence in the power sector - Power Technology - July 12th, 2021
- Military researchers ask for artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning able to share experiences - Military & Aerospace Electronics - July 12th, 2021
- The Evolution of the Judiciary in the Age of Technology | Artificial Intelligence and the Delivery of Justice - Lexology - July 12th, 2021
- Content management and Artificial Intelligence the future of ContentOps - ITProPortal - July 12th, 2021
- How artificial intelligence is propelling the energy transition forward - Innovation Origins - July 12th, 2021
- Astronomers use artificial intelligence to reveal the true shape of universe - WION - July 12th, 2021
- A History of Regular Expressions and Artificial Intelligence - kottke.org - kottke.org - July 12th, 2021
- Experimenting thoughtfully with artificial intelligence - Reuters - June 15th, 2021
- VisionQuest Uses Artificial Intelligence to Screen 40000 Patients for Diabetic Retinopathy - Business Wire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence for Rapid Exclusion of COVID-19 Infection - SciTechDaily - June 15th, 2021
- Researchers ask industry for military technologies in artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned aircraft - Military & Aerospace Electronics - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Uses of Artificial Intelligence to Improve Customer Experience Measurement - Small Business Trends - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the McData-fueled future of capitalism - The Next Web - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Types of Artificial Intelligence that will Shape 2021 and Beyond - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence will Transform Businesses in 2021? - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Research of Quantum Mechanics - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Global Wearable Medical Devices Markets Report 2021: Integrating Artificial Intelligence in the Wearable Medical Devices is Gaining Traction -... - June 15th, 2021
- Your Future May Lie With an Artificial Intelligence Certificate - The Future of Things - June 15th, 2021
- White House partners with NSF to stand up National AI Research Resource Task Force - Federal News Network - June 15th, 2021
- RGS welcomes Artificial Intelligence Innovator to training event - Attain News - June 15th, 2021
- An artificial-intelligence powered ETF has smashed the S&P 500 in the last month without any meme stocks - Markets Insider - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing the Future of Air Transportation - GW Today - June 15th, 2021
- Can We Learn Sperm Whale Language? Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Find Out - TheInertia.com - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Pharmaceutical market worth US$27156.1 Million in 2031. Visiongain Research Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- DoDs AI center striving to be connective tissue across all projects - Federal News Network - February 17th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence is Improving the Online Sports Betting Experience - MWWire - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Calastone implements Opsmatix Artificial Intelligence solution Improving client handling and efficiency within client operations - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - by Component, Technology, Process, Application, Vehicle Type, Demand Category,... - February 17th, 2021
- Liverpool scientists deploy Artificial Intelligence to develop model that predicts the next pandemic - Times Now - February 17th, 2021