ARLINGTON, Va. U.S. military researchers are asking the defense industry to develop revolutionary enabling technologies for land, sea, air, and space applications that would put U.S. forces far ahead of any potential adversaries.
Officials of the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in Arlington, Va., issued a broad agency announcement on Friday (HR001121S0029) for the Redefining Possible project.
Potential U.S. adversaries such as Russia and China have developed ways to counter today's U.S. military systems that are built around exquisite, monolithic integrated systems. Instead, DARPA researchers want to develop revolutionary system architectures that are separate, dispersed, disruptive, and that instill doubt in U.S. adversaries.
DARPA experts want to identify promising technologies and move them quickly to the next phase of research and development. Technologies should improve resilience, responsiveness, range, lethality, access, endurance, and affordability to enable new joint force warfighting concepts.
Related: Air Force chooses nine companies to provide enabling technologies for Skyborg unmanned combat aircraft
For aircraft, researchers point out that stealth and low-observability technologies simply do not offer the advantages they used to. Adversaries have come up with generations of countermeasures since stealth was invented, and today the ability to make platforms survivable is approaching physical limits, which makes continuing the traditional path of stealth technologies impractical.
At the same time, unmanned combat air vehicles (UCAVs) have been used widely, and adversaries have developed countermeasures that have compromised the effectiveness of UCAVs and stealth technologies.
DARPA is interested in systems to counter the proliferation of advanced integrated air defense system (IADS) technologies like extremely capable surface-to-air and air-to-air missiles.
As a result, DARPA researchers are interested in new enabling technologies that provide survivability for next-generation unmanned aerial systems; use distributed and disaggregated systems to reduce reliance on small numbers of exquisite platforms; enable timely delivery of targeting data; advance aircraft propulsion capabilities; machine autonomy to minimize the risk to human warfighters; and design and development tools to develop and field systems quickly, such as model-based systems engineering, multi-dimensional optimization, and additive manufacturing.
Related: Artificial intelligence and machine learning for unmanned vehicles
For ground systems, researchers are interested in technologies to improve the integration of unmanned ground systems with one another and with troops to enable both groups to operate together effectively.
DARPA also wants technologies to provide small-unit and individual warfighter mobility and lethality; that can expand combined arms maneuver into the air, into interiors of buildings, and underground. For these technologies DARPA is interested in artificial intelligence (AI) for integrated manned-unmanned ground force operations, ground robots, and ground robotic combat systems to operate at the speed of battle to keep up with human warfighters.
For manned and unmanned surface ships and submarines, DARPA researchers are interested in technologies to reduce reliance on aircraft carriers that require layered air defenses.
For this, researchers want to develop technologies to counter advanced enemy submarines and torpedoes; provide a persistent presence in harsh environments such as the arctic; and small, inexpensive, networked vessels with AI and machine autonomy.
Related: Soaring Otter program to focus on maturing artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning, and autonomy
For space, DARPA researchers are interested in technologies to reduce reliance on large and expensive satellites; AI and deep learning technologies for data evaluation; and counter emerging threats in contested space.
For these kinds of technologies, DARPA researchers want to develop new materials, manufacturing, and computational imaging to reduce the size, weight, cost, and timeliness necessary to field game-changing capabilities.
Initial contracts will be worth less than $1 million each, and several contracts are expected. Companies interested have one year to respond, and should submit proposals no later than 10 June 2022 to the DARPA BAA Website at https://baa.darpa.mil. Email questions or concerns to DARPA at HR001121S0029@darpa.mil.
More information is online at https://sam.gov/opp/7728a31252544c5da3083c3533c8d50b/view.
Read the rest here:
- UC adopts recommendations for the responsible use of Artificial Intelligence - Preuss School Ucsd - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare? 'Don't focus solely on technology' - Innovation Origins - October 20th, 2021
- How Will Health Care Regulators Address Artificial Intelligence? - The Regulatory Review - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence to Boost the Global Wound Care Market by 2026 with Minimal Intervention Solutions - inForney.com - October 20th, 2021
- Global Artificial Intelligence Market Is Expected To Set A New Benchmark With A CAGR Of 40.2% By 2028 | Up Market Research - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions, Inc. Reports Revenue Increases of Over 400% Over Same Period Prior Year as Shown in 2nd Quarter SEC... - October 20th, 2021
- WVU Researchers Using Artificial Intelligence To Help Diagnose Those With Autism - West Virginia Public Broadcasting - October 20th, 2021
- Potential of Artificial Intelligence Replacing Animal Testing in the Future - Analytics Insight - October 20th, 2021
- Putting artificial intelligence at the heart of health care with help from MIT - MIT News - October 20th, 2021
- What is Artificial Intelligence as a Service (AIaaS)? | ITBE - IT Business Edge - October 20th, 2021
- Understanding the UK Artificial Intelligence commercialisation - GOV.UK - October 20th, 2021
- Beethoven's Unfinished 10th Symphony Brought to Life by Artificial Intelligence - Scientific American - October 20th, 2021
- The 5 articles you read in AI hell - The Next Web - October 20th, 2021
- Transactions in the Age of Artificial Intelligence: Risks and Considerations - JD Supra - October 20th, 2021
- SenseTime Co-hosts the 3rd International Artificial Intelligence Fair to Nurture AI Talent and Promote a Collaborative Education Ecosystem -... - October 20th, 2021
- Alation Acquires Artificial Intelligence Vendor Lyngo Analytics - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- AI in the courts - The Indian Express - July 12th, 2021
- Infrared cameras and artificial intelligence provide insight into boiling - MIT News - July 12th, 2021
- COVID: Artificial intelligence in the pandemic - DW (English) - July 12th, 2021
- The smart role of Artificial Intelligence in todays world - BL on Campus - July 12th, 2021
- Which companies are leading the way for artificial intelligence in the aerospace, defence & security sector? Companies leading the way for... - July 12th, 2021
- Navigating the Intersections of Data, Artificial Intelligence, and Privacy - JD Supra - July 12th, 2021
- Companies leading the way for artificial intelligence in the power sector - Power Technology - July 12th, 2021
- Military researchers ask for artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning able to share experiences - Military & Aerospace Electronics - July 12th, 2021
- The Evolution of the Judiciary in the Age of Technology | Artificial Intelligence and the Delivery of Justice - Lexology - July 12th, 2021
- Content management and Artificial Intelligence the future of ContentOps - ITProPortal - July 12th, 2021
- How artificial intelligence is propelling the energy transition forward - Innovation Origins - July 12th, 2021
- Astronomers use artificial intelligence to reveal the true shape of universe - WION - July 12th, 2021
- A History of Regular Expressions and Artificial Intelligence - kottke.org - kottke.org - July 12th, 2021
- Experimenting thoughtfully with artificial intelligence - Reuters - June 15th, 2021
- VisionQuest Uses Artificial Intelligence to Screen 40000 Patients for Diabetic Retinopathy - Business Wire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence for Rapid Exclusion of COVID-19 Infection - SciTechDaily - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Uses of Artificial Intelligence to Improve Customer Experience Measurement - Small Business Trends - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the McData-fueled future of capitalism - The Next Web - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Types of Artificial Intelligence that will Shape 2021 and Beyond - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence will Transform Businesses in 2021? - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Research of Quantum Mechanics - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Global Wearable Medical Devices Markets Report 2021: Integrating Artificial Intelligence in the Wearable Medical Devices is Gaining Traction -... - June 15th, 2021
- Your Future May Lie With an Artificial Intelligence Certificate - The Future of Things - June 15th, 2021
- White House partners with NSF to stand up National AI Research Resource Task Force - Federal News Network - June 15th, 2021
- RGS welcomes Artificial Intelligence Innovator to training event - Attain News - June 15th, 2021
- An artificial-intelligence powered ETF has smashed the S&P 500 in the last month without any meme stocks - Markets Insider - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing the Future of Air Transportation - GW Today - June 15th, 2021
- Can We Learn Sperm Whale Language? Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Find Out - TheInertia.com - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Pharmaceutical market worth US$27156.1 Million in 2031. Visiongain Research Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- DoDs AI center striving to be connective tissue across all projects - Federal News Network - February 17th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence is Improving the Online Sports Betting Experience - MWWire - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Calastone implements Opsmatix Artificial Intelligence solution Improving client handling and efficiency within client operations - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - by Component, Technology, Process, Application, Vehicle Type, Demand Category,... - February 17th, 2021
- Liverpool scientists deploy Artificial Intelligence to develop model that predicts the next pandemic - Times Now - February 17th, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence May Not Offer The Business Value You Think - CMSWire - February 17th, 2021
- Needed: People To Put The Intelligence In Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence helps automation, but can't tell you where to put your money, Indexa CEO says - Business Insider - February 17th, 2021
- Excerpt: 'Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Power' by Rajiv Malhotra - Times of India - February 17th, 2021
- BYU lab works to improve artificial intelligence communication - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to monitor patients with chronic diseases and COVID-19 - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 17th, 2021
- Elon Musk Talks Auto Safety and Regulation of Artificial Intelligence with Joe Rogan - Corporate Crime Reporter - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2020-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - February 17th, 2021
- AI Definition & Meaning | What is Artificial Intelligence? - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Development Goals - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence can predict whether you will die from COVID-19 - Free Press Journal - February 7th, 2021
- Beyond the Unknown: Applications of Artificial intelligence In Space - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Two UWF teams place in top 5 in national artificial intelligence competition - University of West Florida Newsroom - UWF Newsroom - February 7th, 2021
- Bingo and AI: The changing relation between entertainment and artificial intelligence - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Off The Menu: Artificial intelligence lends hand in recipe development - MassLive.com - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence must not be allowed to replace the imperfection of human empathy - The Conversation UK - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the Gamestonk blowback - The Next Web - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Policing Is the Focus of Encode Justice - Teen Vogue - February 6th, 2021
- 'Artificial Intelligence' Integrated PET-CT launched at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad on the occasion of World Cancer Day 2021 - PR Newswire India - February 6th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Will Change The Way We Work Once We Get Back To The Office - Forbes - February 6th, 2021
- Chemistry and computer science join forces to apply artificial intelligence to chemical reactions - Princeton University - February 6th, 2021
- How to Build a Modern Workplace with Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- Morality Poses the Biggest Risk to Military Integration of Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - February 6th, 2021
- Canon Medical expands reach of its MRI artificial intelligence programs - FierceBiotech - February 6th, 2021
- Harnessing the Power of Artificial Intelligence with High-Performance Computing: Dell Technologies - CRN - India - CRN.in - February 6th, 2021