Credit: Vascular Development Laboratory and EM Unit
A blood test that can detect over 50 cancer types is big news this week.
Theres a lot of excitement around the latest research, published in Annals of Oncology. And its easy to see why.
Scientists have used machine learning to help identify if someone has cancer based on tiny bits of tumour DNA floating in their blood. Which could open the door to a blood test that can detect and identify multiple types of cancer.
But its not there yet. And in the blood test buzz, some news articles have missed out crucial details.
The team looked for differences in the DNA shed from cancer cells and healthy cells into the blood.
They focused on differences in a chemical tag that sit on top of DNA in cells, called methyl groups. These groups are usually spread evenly across the DNA in cells, but in cancer cells they tend to cluster at different points. And its this distinction scientists wanted to exploit.
They trained a machine learning algorithm a type of artificial intelligence that pick up patterns and signals to detect differences between methylation patterns in DNA from cancer and non-cancer cells.
The algorithm was trained on 3,052 samples from people with and without cancer from two large databases.
And once the program was fired up and ready to go, the team tested its cancer-spotting ability on a different set of 1,264 samples f, half of which were from people with cancer.
Any test with the goal of being able to detect cancers at their earliest stages in people without symptoms must strike the right balance between picking up cancer (sensitivity) and not giving false positives (specificity). Weve blogged before about what makes a good cancer test, as well as the efforts to develop a cancer blood test.
How do you assess a cancer test?
Researchers look at 3 main things when assessing a new diagnostic test.
Firstly the good news: fewer than 1% of people without cancer were wrongly identified as having the disease. Which is a good sign for the specificity of this test.
And when it came to detecting cancer, across all types of cancer, the test correctly identified the disease in 55% of cases. This is a measure of the tests sensitivity.
But there was a huge variation in sensitivity depending on the type of cancer and how advanced the disease was. The test was better at picking up more advanced cancer, which makes sense more advanced cancers typically shed more DNA into the bloodstream.
If we look at the numbers, across all cancer types the test correctly detected the disease in 93% of those with stage 4 cancer, but only 18% of early, stage 1 cancers.
An important consideration is that the study was only testing if the algorithm could detect cancer in patients who were already known to have cancer. According to the researchers, these figures may change if the test was used on a wider, general population.
Encouragingly for a multicancer test, when the researchers looked at a smaller number of samples to explore if the test helped them identify where the cancer was growing, the algorithm was able to predict the location in 96% of samples, and it was accurate in 93%.
First things first, although the samples numbers are big, they become a lot smaller when you break them down by cancer type and cancer stage. Some cancer types were particularly poorly represented, with only 1 or 2 samples included in the final analysis so theres more work to do there. Based on this, its a bit too soon to say that the test can pick up 50 cancer types.
And if the plan is to use this as a screening tool, then the researchers will need to do more to study people who didnt have symptoms when they were diagnosed. The current study included people who were symptomatic as well as people without symptoms.
And the participant data lacked variation in age, race and ethnicity. Between 83 and 87% of all the samples used to train and test the algorithm were Caucasian.
The big conclusion is that these results are encouraging and should be taken forward into bigger studies. But its important to put the results in context theyre a step in the right direction. There are a lot of steps between this study and a fully-fledged cancer test.
According to the research team, they plan to validate the results using samples from US and UK studies, and well as to begin to examine if the test could be used to screen for cancer. We look forward to seeing the results.
Our head of early detection research, Dr David Crosby, sums it up nicely: Although this test is still at an early stage of development, the initial results are encouraging. And if the test can be fine-tuned to be more efficient at catching cancers in their earliest stages, it could become a tool for early detection.
But more research is needed to improve the tests ability to catch early cancers and we still need to explore how it might work in a real cancer screening scenario.
- Not so Artificial Intelligence When is AI really AI? - EFTM - August 3rd, 2020
- IMD to explore artificial intelligence to improve forecasting, predict extreme weather events - Firstpost - August 3rd, 2020
- Examples of Failure in Artificial Intelligence - ReadWrite - August 3rd, 2020
- IMD plans to use artificial intelligence in weather forecasting - The Financial Express - August 3rd, 2020
- MLOps: What You Need To Know - Forbes - August 3rd, 2020
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Artificial Intelligence job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 215559 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 3rd, 2020
- How do CEO's Succeed with Artificial Intelligence at their Workplace? - Analytics Insight - August 3rd, 2020
- The future of Artificial Intelligence and what it means to the Enterprise? - Analytics Insight - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence helps lead decisions over Intelligent automation and - 401kTV - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and civil liability. Who pays the damages? - Lexology - August 3rd, 2020
- The AI-boost: Using more artificial intelligence will boost GDP growth - The Financial Express - August 3rd, 2020
- $19.9B Artificial Intelligence in Retail Industry, 2027 - Rising Focus on Blockchain and Adoption of 5G Technology - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence What it is and why it matters | SAS - July 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Loses Some Of Its Edginess, But Is Poised To Take Off - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is transforming the world in the current pandemic situation? - Geospatial World - July 31st, 2020
- The NBA will use artificial intelligence and a tap-to-cheer app feature to help fans stuck at home get in the game - CNN - July 31st, 2020
- Different Scopes Of Artificial Intelligence To Dive In With! - Inventiva - July 31st, 2020
- Gatling Exploration to use artificial intelligence to identify possible gold targets at the Larder project in Ontario - Proactive Investors USA &... - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk Thinks that Artificial Intelligence Will Be 'Vastly Smarter' Than Humans in 5 Years - News18 - July 31st, 2020
- Church body recommends restrictions on Artificial Intelligence - The Tablet - July 31st, 2020
- How the Coronavirus Pandemic Is Breaking Artificial Intelligence and How to Fix It - Gizmodo - July 31st, 2020
- Using artificial intelligence to smell the roses - UC Riverside - July 30th, 2020
- Shield AI Recognized As One of the Most Promising Artificial Intelligence Companies - PR Web - July 30th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence needs an update on ethics to be able to help humanity in times of crisis - Economic Times - July 30th, 2020
- Reshaping Artificial Intelligence with the Help of Affordances - Analytics Insight - July 29th, 2020
- WISeKey to Showcase its Cybersecurity Solutions for Artificial Intelligence Used in Drones and Robots at SIDO 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- GPT-3: The Next Revolution in Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 28th, 2020
- FLY AI: the role of artificial intelligence in aviation - Airport Technology - July 28th, 2020
- Four university experts use Artificial Intelligence to discover that children don't like going to school on Mondays in Milton Keynes - Milton Keynes... - July 28th, 2020
- UF Announces $70 Million Artificial Intelligence Partnership with NVIDIA - University of Florida - July 28th, 2020
- People are using artificial intelligence to help sort out their divorce. Would you? - The Conversation AU - July 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Hope 2020 Needs - Bloomberg - July 28th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 28th, 2020
- I Am a Model and I Know That Artificial Intelligence Will Eventually Take My Job - Vogue.com - July 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Manufacturing Market Worth $16.7 Billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Accounting Market is expected to grow from USD 884.99 Million in 2019 to USD 4,779.11 Million by the end of 2025... - July 28th, 2020
- Imint is the Swedish firm that gives Chinese smartphones an edge in video production - TechCrunch - July 26th, 2020
- UF students, get used to this topic: artificial intelligence - Tampa Bay Times - July 26th, 2020
- Odisha to use artificial intelligence in organisation audit in big way - The New Indian Express - July 26th, 2020
- Covid could have been AIs moment in sun. But it isnt as flexible as humans yet - ThePrint - July 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is the hope 2020 needs | Commentary | Seattle Times - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - July 26th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 26th, 2020
- Exploring the edge cases of artificial intelligence in 2020 - TechHQ - July 26th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is being used for divorce and separations with apps like Amica, Adieu and Penda - Newcastle Herald - July 26th, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Artificial Intelligence Has Promise of Streamlining Hospital Processes, Diagnostic Tools - MedTech Intelligence - July 26th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence for Automotive Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Outlook with Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Express... - July 26th, 2020
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Analysis by Emerging Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth, Current Statistics, Brand Endorsements and... - July 26th, 2020
- Opinion: Artificial intelligence is the hope 2020 needs - Crain's Cleveland Business - July 26th, 2020
- AI in the Field of Transportation - a Review - AI Daily - July 26th, 2020
- Loop Insights and ImagineAR Sign MOU To Integrate Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Reality, Creating Real-Time Actionable Data For Brands To... - July 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Be Used In Public Transport- Will People Be Able To Commute Safely After Covid-19? - Inventiva - July 26th, 2020
- [Webinar] ACEDS Detroit Chapter: Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence and Issues of Bias - August 4th, 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm ET - JD Supra - July 26th, 2020
- Connecting the Digital and the Real World With Artificial Intelligence - Devdiscourse - July 26th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence Software System Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | KEY PLAYERS MARKET WITH... - July 26th, 2020
- Nagarro launches machine vision-based artificial intelligence solutions that mitigate COVID-19 risks and enhance workplace safety - PRNewswire - July 25th, 2020
- Why Its Time to Start Using Artificial Intelligence in Your Greenhouse - Greenhouse Grower - July 25th, 2020
- Is Artificial Intelligence really 'intelligent'? - TheArticle - July 25th, 2020
- Connecting the Digital and the Real World With Artificial Intelligence - Outlook India - July 25th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence In Fashion Retail Market will Witness Steady Growth Till 2027 Post COVID 19 Pandemic, Top Manufactures ALIBABA,... - July 25th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Aviation Market is expected to grow from USD 273.37 Million in 2019 to USD 1,751.48 Million by the end of 2025... - July 25th, 2020
- The Automation Revolution That Wasnt? - National Review - July 25th, 2020
- Top 75 Artificial Intelligence Websites & Blogs For AI ... - July 21st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Market Size, Growth | Analysis 2026 - July 21st, 2020
- John Allen and Darrell West discuss artificial intelligence on The Lawfare Podcast - Brookings Institution - July 21st, 2020
- Sisu Identified as a 2020 Hot Vendor in Artificial Intelligence by Aragon Research - GlobeNewswire - July 21st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Hope 2020 Needs - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2020
- Heres how connected health and artificial intelligence is transforming healthcare industry - YourStory - July 21st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence data centers take on greater importance in facing the very real threat of COVID-19 - Crain's Cleveland Business - July 21st, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Agriculture Market 2020: by Top-Vendors, Products, Applications, Growth Strategies and Forecast 2025 - Cole of... - July 21st, 2020
- Faculty receive funding to develop artificial intelligence techniques to combat Covid-19 - MIT News - July 21st, 2020
- The EPIC-KITCHENS Project is Building a Foundation For Artificial Intelligence in the Kitchen - The Spoon - July 21st, 2020
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - July 21st, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - July 21st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence - Overview - Tutorialspoint - July 21st, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? - Definition from ... - July 21st, 2020
- Pros and Cons of Artificial Intelligence 2020 (Top 20) - July 21st, 2020
- An artificial intelligence algorithm designed to beat a video game takes on ecology and evolution - Massive Science - July 21st, 2020
- Scientists Discover the Correlation Between Our Vision and Imagination Using Artificial Intelligence - News18 - July 21st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Cars and Light Trucks Market Sets the Table for Continued Growth | Apple, Audi, BAE Systems, BMW - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Security Market 2020 Demand, Trend, Latest Techniques, Innovations, Applications, Analysis and 2025 Industry Growth... - July 21st, 2020