COVID-19 has taken the world by storm. Lockdowns, quarantines, and shutdowns have created an unpredictable scenario that looks almost apocalyptic. But with the right kind of precautionary measures, knowledge, and resources, we can fight this too. This global crisis is a glaring reminder of the gap between what our current healthcare systems can handle and what they should be equipped to handle.
To bridge this gap and in order to provide the needed care to those affected, Artificial Intelligence (AI) might just be our best bet.
Epidemiology tracks the source of an outbreak and analyzes which sections of the population face the highest risk. With AI, it can become easier to find the pattern of the course of the outbreak and then to predict possibly affected people.
Consider Blue Dot, an Artificial Intelligence agency from Canada that predicted the coronavirus outbreak days before it happened. This AI works by using data from around the world in different languages to comprehensively analyze trends in the disease patterns. This allows it to predict public outbreaks and track infectious diseases before they spread too much.
Using data of population sections, vulnerabilities, and previous diseases, AI can predict the possible turn of events with a pandemic such as a coronavirus. For example, we now know that COVID-19 affects people with respiratory diseases and elderly people more. With this knowledge, AI can use data analysis and predict that areas with larger populations of elderly people or countries with a high number of people with respiratory problems, will be most affected by COVID-19. Military veterans who have been exposed to asbestos become especially susceptible to something like coronavirus because of their compromised respiratory systems. This kind of information can become crucial in controlling COVID-19 from becoming fatal globally.
Currently, there are also cases of hackers stealing information with coronavirus map-tracker malware. Centralized AI performing this activity could have stopped this malware from reaching people. In this moment of widespread anxiety, it is important that we ensure we are reading the correct information and sharing information with safe sources.
In countries such as China and Italy, COVID-19 could only be controlled once its presence became known. Detecting disease before its too late might be one of the most important contributions AI can make to medical science.
An article on GCN by Steve Bennett, former director of the National Biosurveillance Integration Center within the Department of Homeland Security, talks about the potential of AI in terms of coronavirus. He writes that there are pilot approaches that use machine learning to mine social media data for indications of unusual flu symptoms. AI can also be used to examine near-real-time emergency medical services and ambulance data, using ML (machine learning) to look for anomalies in the medical notes as patients were admitted to hospitals. In these instances, AI was able to detect the disease much faster than physical tests saving it from spreading and also ensuring that patients get the treatment in time.
In terms of outbreaks such as COVID-19, early detection is key to both saving lives as well as keeping economies stable. As early as 2009, researchers were using data streams available via internet activity to monitor for listeria outbreaks. Studies like this can be used as roadmaps for AI outbreak detection research.
AI can also be of use in determining which treatments are the most effective for COVID-19. For example, if a treatment helps a patient recover faster in China, then AI can use that information to model and then apply the same treatment in Italy. In turn, AI can also quickly analyze other such cases and reach a possible method of treatment faster than humans alone.
Unfortunately, there is still no reliable vaccine for coronavirus leaving mankind vulnerable to it. It is especially difficult to find preventative and curative alternatives in todays post-antibiotic area. As stated by experts at Sani Professional, superbugs and new diseases are emerging that have greater resistance to common cleaners and chemicals we rely on to sanitize, disinfect, and clean up spaces and tools every day. That being said, there is a lot of research being done on possible cures in the form of antibody research. Since it is still too early to know a specific time when the vaccine or an alternate immediate treatment will be available, the use of AI might help to speed up the process, and possibly highlight other avenues for curative research. Heavy hitters like IBM and Amazon are offering up their supercomputers to help with the research.
Amidst the chaos and the flood of information, it is important that we put our safety first. Getting correct information from trusted sources is the first step towards this. Use updates from National Health Services, the WHO and more to keep yourself abreast of the current situation. It is especially important to comply with any imposed travel restrictions, and take precautions in case youre planning to travel. Unless it is absolutely necessary, it is best to stay at home and wait for this pandemic to pass. Regularly washing your hands for 20 seconds (with soap) and social distancing, are key to protecting yourself and those around you from this disease.
See the article here:
- A crewless boat is recreating the Mayflower's 400-year-old journey, with the help of artificial intelligence - CBS News - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Is It All Just Costly Hype? - Dice Insights - December 26th, 2020
- 7 Types of Artificial Intelligence: Propelling the Technology Development - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence will go mainstream in 2021 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 26th, 2020
- Top 7 Amazing Artificial Intelligence Applications that Are Unfamiliar - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- NASCAR Team up with the World Poker Tour while Artificial Intelligence Breaks New Barriers - HighstakesDB - December 26th, 2020
- Youve heard of Elf on the Shelf; in New Haven theres elf with artificial intelligence - New Haven Register - December 26th, 2020
- How is Artificial Intelligence Transforming the lives of People with Disabilities? - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- How Bad Is Your Spotify? There's Artificial Intelligence to Judge Your Taste - Distractify - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence measure included in must-pass government funding deal - Homeland Preparedness News - December 26th, 2020
- PetrSU joined the fight for leadership in the field of artificial intelligence applications in Russia and in the world - India Education Diary - December 26th, 2020
- Why not enlist the help of artificial intelligence to nudge people to mask up? - Houston Chronicle - December 22nd, 2020
- Congress wants an inventory of all AI projects at the Pentagon - C4ISRNet - December 22nd, 2020
- The influence of artificial intelligence on the banking industry - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - December 22nd, 2020
- Application of artificial intelligence in the field of treatment and medicine - Tehran Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The 2021 AI 50 List Are Open - Forbes - December 22nd, 2020
- Delivering Proactive Mental Healthcare With Artificial Intelligence - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is intertwined in precision agriculture - AGDAILY - December 22nd, 2020
- Spin Announces Cutting Edge On-Vehicle Artificial Intelligence (AI) Platform To Bring Sidewalk Riding and Parking Detection Technology to Cities... - December 22nd, 2020
- UC convenes Artificial Intelligence Working Group to harness innovative technology, establish guardrails for equitable and ethical use - University of... - December 22nd, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Research Report by Technology, by Process, by Offerings, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence, Contactless Solutions Set to Provide Safety Protocols to Enable Reopening of Live Events in 2021 - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Employing artificial intelligence to spot infrastructure issues - Construction Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- CPPI and HSDF Release Report from Virtual Symposium: Artificial Intelligence: Transforming the Government Mission - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Top 10 AI and machine learning stories of 2020 - Healthcare IT News - December 17th, 2020
- The 8 Best Books About Artificial Intelligence to Read Now - WIRED - December 17th, 2020
- KODA AUTO wins Pioneer Award for its use of artificial intelligence and Sound Analyser app - Automotive World - December 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligences Are Power Hungry, But Not How You Think - Nextgov - December 17th, 2020
- Now is the time to ensure artificial intelligence works for Europeans - EU News - December 17th, 2020
- Currux Vision LLC Announces Industry Leading Accuracy of Artificial Intelligence Smart City Traffic Platform Testing with the City of San Jos - PR Web - December 17th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to reach fathers and support child nutrition in India during COVID-19 - World Bank Group - December 17th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence helped me overcome my dyslexia - The Guardian - December 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Advances Showcased at the Virtual 2020 AACC Annual Scientific Meeting Could Help to Integrate This Technology Into Everyday... - December 17th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Supply Chain Management Market was Valued at US$ 1549.5 Mn in 2019 Growing at a CAGR of 25.12% over the Forecast... - December 17th, 2020
- Are AI and job automation good for society? Globally, views are mixed - Pew Research Center - December 17th, 2020
- Landmark artificial intelligence legislation advances toward becoming law Defense bill awaits possible presidential veto and Congressional override;... - December 17th, 2020
- The Next Generation Of Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - October 16th, 2020
- St. Louis Is Grappling With Artificial Intelligence's Promise And Potential Peril - St. Louis Public Radio - October 16th, 2020
- Looper column: Artificial intelligence, humanity and the future - SouthCoastToday.com - October 16th, 2020
- For artificial intelligence to flourish, governments need to think ahead about its responsible use - Firstpost - October 16th, 2020
- MediFind Selected as Finalist for Best in Artificial Intelligence in the Shorty Social Good Awards - The Wellsboro Gazette - October 16th, 2020
- The relentless threat of artificial intelligence taking our jobs away - Mint - October 16th, 2020
- Will artificial intelligence technology change the dairy industry - positivelyosceola.com - October 16th, 2020
- Penn Medicine researchers use artificial intelligence to identify early signs of Alzheimer's Disease - Express Computer - October 16th, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2020
- SparkCognition Advances the Science of Artificial Intelligence with 85 Patents - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Dont Be Afraid, BMW Promises To Keep Artificial Intelligence (AI) On A Tight Leash With These 7 Principles - CarScoops - October 16th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Government: Global Markets 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 31st, 2020
- Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data - FDA.gov - August 31st, 2020
- Supercharge vegetation management and outage prediction with artificial intelligence - Utility Dive - August 31st, 2020
- Automation, artificial intelligence to be central in the post-Covid world - Economic Times - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Next Top Gun - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Defense Innovation Unit Teaching Artificial Intelligence to Detect Cancer - Department of Defense - August 31st, 2020
- Toward a machine learning model that can reason about everyday actions - MIT News - August 31st, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is changing the way we search and find online - ITProPortal - August 31st, 2020
- TikTok Assets Cant Be Sold Without Chinas Approval - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Oil and Gas Market Global Size, Growth and Demand 2020 to 2030 - The News Brok - August 31st, 2020
- Rage Against the Algorithm: the Risks of Overestimating Military Artificial Intelligence - Chatham House - August 31st, 2020
- U of I to lead two of seven new national artificial intelligence institutes - University of Illinois News - August 31st, 2020
- Holocaust survivors will be able to share their stories after death thanks to a new project - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 31st, 2020
- Funding boost for artificial intelligence in NHS to speed up diagnosis of deadly diseases - GOV.UK - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies 80,000 Spiral Galaxies Promises More Astronomical Discoveries in the Future - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- Is Artificial intelligence the Future of IT Help Desk? - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Experts Are Divided Over Future Of Artificial Intelligence But Agree On Its Growing Impact - Outlook India - August 10th, 2020
- "Artificial Intelligence Will Make Medicine Better in the Long Run" - Biophotonics.World - August 10th, 2020
- How machine learning and artificial intelligence can drive clinical innovation - PharmaLive - August 10th, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Investments in July 2020 - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Job interviews: Recruiters are using artificial intelligence to analyse what you say to find the right hire - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- The next frontier of human-robot relationships is building trust - Scroll.in - August 8th, 2020
- Game-Changing Artificial Intelligence Solution by PhotoShelter to Revolutionize Social Media Workflow as Premier Lacrosse League Returns to the Field... - August 8th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Helping to Fight against Coronavirus in India? - Analytics Insight - August 8th, 2020
- BLOG: How to capitalise on the Artificial Intelligence theme - Your Money - Your Money - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Its Partners - Modern Diplomacy - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence isnt destroying jobs, its making them more inclusive - The Globe and Mail - August 8th, 2020
- RadNet and Hologic Announce Collaboration to Advance the Development of Artificial Intelligence Tools in Breast Health - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 48% Through 2020-2024|Growing Adoption of... - August 7th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Business: The New Normal in Testing Times - Analytics Insight - August 7th, 2020
- VIEW: Digitisation in pathology and the promise of artificial intelligence - CNBCTV18 - August 7th, 2020
- What It Means to Be Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence - Medium - August 7th, 2020
- Not so Artificial Intelligence When is AI really AI? - EFTM - August 3rd, 2020