COVID-19 has taken the world by storm. Lockdowns, quarantines, and shutdowns have created an unpredictable scenario that looks almost apocalyptic. But with the right kind of precautionary measures, knowledge, and resources, we can fight this too. This global crisis is a glaring reminder of the gap between what our current healthcare systems can handle and what they should be equipped to handle.
To bridge this gap and in order to provide the needed care to those affected, Artificial Intelligence (AI) might just be our best bet.
Epidemiology tracks the source of an outbreak and analyzes which sections of the population face the highest risk. With AI, it can become easier to find the pattern of the course of the outbreak and then to predict possibly affected people.
Consider Blue Dot, an Artificial Intelligence agency from Canada that predicted the coronavirus outbreak days before it happened. This AI works by using data from around the world in different languages to comprehensively analyze trends in the disease patterns. This allows it to predict public outbreaks and track infectious diseases before they spread too much.
Using data of population sections, vulnerabilities, and previous diseases, AI can predict the possible turn of events with a pandemic such as a coronavirus. For example, we now know that COVID-19 affects people with respiratory diseases and elderly people more. With this knowledge, AI can use data analysis and predict that areas with larger populations of elderly people or countries with a high number of people with respiratory problems, will be most affected by COVID-19. Military veterans who have been exposed to asbestos become especially susceptible to something like coronavirus because of their compromised respiratory systems. This kind of information can become crucial in controlling COVID-19 from becoming fatal globally.
Currently, there are also cases of hackers stealing information with coronavirus map-tracker malware. Centralized AI performing this activity could have stopped this malware from reaching people. In this moment of widespread anxiety, it is important that we ensure we are reading the correct information and sharing information with safe sources.
In countries such as China and Italy, COVID-19 could only be controlled once its presence became known. Detecting disease before its too late might be one of the most important contributions AI can make to medical science.
An article on GCN by Steve Bennett, former director of the National Biosurveillance Integration Center within the Department of Homeland Security, talks about the potential of AI in terms of coronavirus. He writes that there are pilot approaches that use machine learning to mine social media data for indications of unusual flu symptoms. AI can also be used to examine near-real-time emergency medical services and ambulance data, using ML (machine learning) to look for anomalies in the medical notes as patients were admitted to hospitals. In these instances, AI was able to detect the disease much faster than physical tests saving it from spreading and also ensuring that patients get the treatment in time.
In terms of outbreaks such as COVID-19, early detection is key to both saving lives as well as keeping economies stable. As early as 2009, researchers were using data streams available via internet activity to monitor for listeria outbreaks. Studies like this can be used as roadmaps for AI outbreak detection research.
AI can also be of use in determining which treatments are the most effective for COVID-19. For example, if a treatment helps a patient recover faster in China, then AI can use that information to model and then apply the same treatment in Italy. In turn, AI can also quickly analyze other such cases and reach a possible method of treatment faster than humans alone.
Unfortunately, there is still no reliable vaccine for coronavirus leaving mankind vulnerable to it. It is especially difficult to find preventative and curative alternatives in todays post-antibiotic area. As stated by experts at Sani Professional, superbugs and new diseases are emerging that have greater resistance to common cleaners and chemicals we rely on to sanitize, disinfect, and clean up spaces and tools every day. That being said, there is a lot of research being done on possible cures in the form of antibody research. Since it is still too early to know a specific time when the vaccine or an alternate immediate treatment will be available, the use of AI might help to speed up the process, and possibly highlight other avenues for curative research. Heavy hitters like IBM and Amazon are offering up their supercomputers to help with the research.
Amidst the chaos and the flood of information, it is important that we put our safety first. Getting correct information from trusted sources is the first step towards this. Use updates from National Health Services, the WHO and more to keep yourself abreast of the current situation. It is especially important to comply with any imposed travel restrictions, and take precautions in case youre planning to travel. Unless it is absolutely necessary, it is best to stay at home and wait for this pandemic to pass. Regularly washing your hands for 20 seconds (with soap) and social distancing, are key to protecting yourself and those around you from this disease.
See the article here:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Definition - Investopedia - May 31st, 2020
- The Temptations Of Artificial Intelligence Technology And The Price Of Admission - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence offers a chance to optimize COVID-19 treatment in international partnership - Vanderbilt University News - May 31st, 2020
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 31st, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is hopelessly biased - and that's how it will stay - TechRadar India - May 31st, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 31st, 2020
- Art and artifice - The Indian Express - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence software improves accuracy, doubles speed in evaluating CT scans of advanced cancer - UAB News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 31st, 2020
- The Use of Artificial Intelligence by Investment Advisers: Considerations Based on an Advisers Fiduciary Duties - JD Supra - May 31st, 2020
- Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Infrastructures job with UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL | 208485 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 31st, 2020
- Walmart Employees Are Out to Show Its Anti-Shoplifting AI Doesn't Work - WIRED - May 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 31st, 2020
- IIT-Ropar and TSW Launch a PG Programme in Artificial Intelligence - THE WEEK - May 31st, 2020
- MS in Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence - May 19th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? | Azure Blog and Updates ... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are the Advantages of Artificial Intelligence ... - May 19th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - May 19th, 2020
- It's Called Artificial Intelligencebut What Is Intelligence? - WIRED - May 19th, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 19th, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence-based imaging reconstruction may lead to incorrect diagnoses, experts caution - Radiology Business - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Covid Frontline - Morningstar - May 19th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Cancer: How Is It Used in Practice? - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 19th, 2020
- Five Important Subsets of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- Ethical artificial intelligence: Could Switzerland take the lead? - swissinfo.ch - May 19th, 2020
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence: Edge Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Architecture - May 15th, 2020
- Keysight Validates Artificial Intelligence (AI) and ... - May 15th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence? Examples and News in 2019 ... - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Is Nothing Without Humans - E3zine.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is helping seniors who are isolated during the coronavirus pandemic - WXYZ - May 15th, 2020
- ValleyML is launching a Machine Learning and Deep Learning Boot Camp from July 14th to Sept 10th and AI Expo Series from Sept 21st to Nov 19th 2020.... - May 15th, 2020
- TSA Issues Road Map to Tackle Insider Threat With Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - May 15th, 2020
- The Expanding Role Of Artificial Intelligence In Tax - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: Technology Of The Future - Forbes India - May 15th, 2020
- SparkCognition and Milize to Offer Automated Machine Learning Solutions for Financial Institutions to the APAC Region - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- Alpha Modus Allowed 2nd Patent Leveraging Artificial Intelligence for Monitoring and Analyzing Consumer Behavior - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla : Artificial Intelligence - the .AI domain is on the rise - marketscreener.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Can Only Help Architecture if We Ask the Right Questions - ArchDaily - May 15th, 2020
- Fighting COVID-19: Artificial Intelligence community to help citizens and the healthcare system - Canada NewsWire - May 15th, 2020
- Understanding the Four Types of Artificial Intelligence - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence Facts for Kids - May 9th, 2020
- 4 Main Types of Artificial Intelligence - G2 - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence project lets Holocaust survivors ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Simple English Wikipedia, the ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Market by Size, Share, Analysis ... - May 9th, 2020
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence movie review (2001) | Roger Ebert - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Evolving to Process the World Like Humans - Interesting Engineering - May 9th, 2020
- Drug research turns to artificial intelligence in COVID-19 fight - Business in Vancouver - May 9th, 2020
- Women wanted: Why now could be a good time for women to pursue a career in AI - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Used to Identify Light Sources With Far Fewer Measurements - Unite.AI - May 9th, 2020
- The Impending Artificial Intelligence Revolution in Healthcare - Op-Ed - HIT Consultant - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 identification in X-ray images by Artificial intelligence - News Anyway - May 9th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to the care sector amid COVID-19? - Descrier - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2020
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - April 26th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - April 26th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | PCMag - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence And Automation Top Focus For Venture Capitalists - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence can take banks to the next level - TechRepublic - April 26th, 2020
- Health care of tomorrow, today: How artificial intelligence is fighting the current, and future, COVID-19 pandemic | TheHill - The Hill - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence, IoT And Big Data Can Save The Bees - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- First meeting of the new CEPEJ Working Group on cyberjustice and artificial intelligence - Council of Europe - April 26th, 2020
- When the coronavirus hit, California turned to artificial intelligence to help map the spread - 60 Minutes - CBS News - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Oil & Gas Industry, 2020-2025 - Upstream Operations to Witness Significant Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 26th, 2020
- Pre & Post COVID-19 Market Estimates-Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market in Retail Sector 2019-2023| Increased Efficiency of Operations to Boost... - April 26th, 2020
- EUREKA Clusters Artificial Intelligence (AI) Call | News item - The Netherlands and You - April 26th, 2020
- A guide to healthy skepticism of artificial intelligence and coronavirus - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2020