Consumers are seeing and feeling the impact of COVID-19 supply chain interruptions and delays in their everyday lives, from shortages of paper goods and cleaning supplies in grocery stores, to rising prices for beef and poultry.
For specialized industries such as health care and aerospace, however, the stakes of supply chain interruptions and service failures have perhaps never been higher. So far the traditional hub-and-spoke time-critical logistics industry has largely struggled to adapt, while newer technology-enabled models in the industry are showing significant promise to perform in a crisis.
Artificial intelligence (AI) platforms in particular have shown remarkable resilience during the COVID-19 crisis and the ability to quickly pivot shipments with minimal delays and service failures. California-based Airspace Technologies was one of the first logistics providers in the time-critical space to implement a breakthrough AI-powered platform that they say has enabled them to swiftly adjust operations without interruptions to their 24/7, 365-days-a-year services.
Airspace was built with moments like these in mind. It was designed to perform in a crisis when time is of the essence and lives and entire industries are quite literally on the line, said Airspace Technologies CEO and co-founder Nick Bulcao.
With years of experience specializing in urgent medical deliveries, such as organs for transplant, as well as aerospace parts for downed aircraft, Airspace says they have noticed a significant impact on their business as elective surgeries are delayed and less aircraft are flying. But the automated, AI-driven software that is the heartbeat of their operations has made adjusting to the new realities of the industry immensely more manageable.
With lives on the line, Airspace moved quickly to set up new shipment networks and routes each day to begin transporting urgently needed COVID-19 test kits, blood and plasma units, and vital organs for transplant to get where they need to go. Their fully transparent, automated software platform also allows minute-by-minute real-time tracking of deliveries, so hospitals and labs know exactly where kits or urgent supplies are and when they will arrive.
Airspace is currently making between 250 and 300 health care-related deliveries each day, and has transported as many as 30 organs in just one week.
The companys aerospace parts delivery business has had its own heroic moments during the COVID-19 crisis. An independent delivery driver for Airspace in the Bay Area recounted a harrowing incident last month in which he was asked to make a critical aerospace part delivery not to an airport, but to Stanford University Medical Center instead. Sensing the urgency of the moment, the driver immediately retrieved the part and made his way to the hospital.
Arriving two hours earlier than expected, I called my point of contact, who was still over an hour away. After some coordination with the engineer and hospital staff, I handed over the critical part for the medevac helicopter stranded on the hospital roof to a nurse instead helping get the lifesaving equipment back in the air ahead of schedule, said Bryan Sperry, 61, the driver.
Airspace says software also allowed them to protect workers by rapidly transitioning their team to fully remote operations across the United States.
The key was doing so with zero disruption to our round-the-clock operations and with full capabilities still in place, said Ryan Rusnak, Airspace co-founder and chief technology officer. After some planning, it took the team less than 36 hours to make a complete transition. Theyre now remotely continuing to provide the seamless, end-to-end experience our customers expect.
The transition and dramatic decline in passenger flights has not been without its challenges, though. Fewer passenger flights means fewer routing options, often accompanied by delays that can be costly for customers. That is where the power of the AI platform can often make the biggest difference, Airspace says.
One of the key features of their AI software is an automated delay declaration, which allows the operations team to quickly pivot to the next optimal routing if an order experiences a flight delay even in the middle of a trip. For example, on one day in March this year, amid more than 100 flight cancellations at the Las Vegas airport, Airspaces technology allowed the company to reduce disruption to critical deliveries to less than 38-minute average delays, while over 60% of orders there experienced no delays at all.
The rapidly changing dynamics as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic have created enormous challenges across industries and supply chains, but the power of AI to keep industry and lifesaving goods and services moving in a crisis has shown a positive path toward maintaining affordability, speed, reliability and transparency in urgent logistics.
- Experimenting thoughtfully with artificial intelligence - Reuters - June 15th, 2021
- VisionQuest Uses Artificial Intelligence to Screen 40000 Patients for Diabetic Retinopathy - Business Wire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence for Rapid Exclusion of COVID-19 Infection - SciTechDaily - June 15th, 2021
- Researchers ask industry for military technologies in artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned aircraft - Military & Aerospace Electronics - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Uses of Artificial Intelligence to Improve Customer Experience Measurement - Small Business Trends - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the McData-fueled future of capitalism - The Next Web - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Types of Artificial Intelligence that will Shape 2021 and Beyond - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence will Transform Businesses in 2021? - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Research of Quantum Mechanics - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Global Wearable Medical Devices Markets Report 2021: Integrating Artificial Intelligence in the Wearable Medical Devices is Gaining Traction -... - June 15th, 2021
- Your Future May Lie With an Artificial Intelligence Certificate - The Future of Things - June 15th, 2021
- White House partners with NSF to stand up National AI Research Resource Task Force - Federal News Network - June 15th, 2021
- RGS welcomes Artificial Intelligence Innovator to training event - Attain News - June 15th, 2021
- An artificial-intelligence powered ETF has smashed the S&P 500 in the last month without any meme stocks - Markets Insider - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing the Future of Air Transportation - GW Today - June 15th, 2021
- Can We Learn Sperm Whale Language? Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Find Out - TheInertia.com - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Pharmaceutical market worth US$27156.1 Million in 2031. Visiongain Research Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- DoDs AI center striving to be connective tissue across all projects - Federal News Network - February 17th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence is Improving the Online Sports Betting Experience - MWWire - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Calastone implements Opsmatix Artificial Intelligence solution Improving client handling and efficiency within client operations - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - by Component, Technology, Process, Application, Vehicle Type, Demand Category,... - February 17th, 2021
- Liverpool scientists deploy Artificial Intelligence to develop model that predicts the next pandemic - Times Now - February 17th, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence May Not Offer The Business Value You Think - CMSWire - February 17th, 2021
- Needed: People To Put The Intelligence In Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence helps automation, but can't tell you where to put your money, Indexa CEO says - Business Insider - February 17th, 2021
- Excerpt: 'Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Power' by Rajiv Malhotra - Times of India - February 17th, 2021
- BYU lab works to improve artificial intelligence communication - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to monitor patients with chronic diseases and COVID-19 - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 17th, 2021
- Elon Musk Talks Auto Safety and Regulation of Artificial Intelligence with Joe Rogan - Corporate Crime Reporter - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2020-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - February 17th, 2021
- AI Definition & Meaning | What is Artificial Intelligence? - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Development Goals - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence can predict whether you will die from COVID-19 - Free Press Journal - February 7th, 2021
- Beyond the Unknown: Applications of Artificial intelligence In Space - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Two UWF teams place in top 5 in national artificial intelligence competition - University of West Florida Newsroom - UWF Newsroom - February 7th, 2021
- Bingo and AI: The changing relation between entertainment and artificial intelligence - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Off The Menu: Artificial intelligence lends hand in recipe development - MassLive.com - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence must not be allowed to replace the imperfection of human empathy - The Conversation UK - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the Gamestonk blowback - The Next Web - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Policing Is the Focus of Encode Justice - Teen Vogue - February 6th, 2021
- 'Artificial Intelligence' Integrated PET-CT launched at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad on the occasion of World Cancer Day 2021 - PR Newswire India - February 6th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Will Change The Way We Work Once We Get Back To The Office - Forbes - February 6th, 2021
- Chemistry and computer science join forces to apply artificial intelligence to chemical reactions - Princeton University - February 6th, 2021
- How to Build a Modern Workplace with Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- Morality Poses the Biggest Risk to Military Integration of Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - February 6th, 2021
- Canon Medical expands reach of its MRI artificial intelligence programs - FierceBiotech - February 6th, 2021
- Harnessing the Power of Artificial Intelligence with High-Performance Computing: Dell Technologies - CRN - India - CRN.in - February 6th, 2021
- AI-Powered Cooperation Will Transform US Military Operations Homeland Security Today - HSToday - February 6th, 2021
- Skinopathy Files Provisional Patent for Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Reality Powered Technology that will Guide Skin Cancer Surgeries - Yahoo... - February 6th, 2021
- How Artificial intelligence is Transforming the Apparel Industry - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- How Airbus And Boeing Are Using Artificial Intelligence To Advance Autonomous Flight - Simple Flying - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Market to Witness Huge Growth by Top Key Players | Welltok, Inc., Intel Corporation, Nvidia Corporation And More KSU |... - February 6th, 2021
- A crewless boat is recreating the Mayflower's 400-year-old journey, with the help of artificial intelligence - CBS News - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Is It All Just Costly Hype? - Dice Insights - December 26th, 2020
- 7 Types of Artificial Intelligence: Propelling the Technology Development - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence will go mainstream in 2021 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 26th, 2020
- Top 7 Amazing Artificial Intelligence Applications that Are Unfamiliar - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- NASCAR Team up with the World Poker Tour while Artificial Intelligence Breaks New Barriers - HighstakesDB - December 26th, 2020
- Youve heard of Elf on the Shelf; in New Haven theres elf with artificial intelligence - New Haven Register - December 26th, 2020
- How is Artificial Intelligence Transforming the lives of People with Disabilities? - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- How Bad Is Your Spotify? There's Artificial Intelligence to Judge Your Taste - Distractify - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence measure included in must-pass government funding deal - Homeland Preparedness News - December 26th, 2020
- PetrSU joined the fight for leadership in the field of artificial intelligence applications in Russia and in the world - India Education Diary - December 26th, 2020
- Why not enlist the help of artificial intelligence to nudge people to mask up? - Houston Chronicle - December 22nd, 2020
- Congress wants an inventory of all AI projects at the Pentagon - C4ISRNet - December 22nd, 2020
- The influence of artificial intelligence on the banking industry - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - December 22nd, 2020
- Application of artificial intelligence in the field of treatment and medicine - Tehran Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The 2021 AI 50 List Are Open - Forbes - December 22nd, 2020
- Delivering Proactive Mental Healthcare With Artificial Intelligence - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is intertwined in precision agriculture - AGDAILY - December 22nd, 2020
- Spin Announces Cutting Edge On-Vehicle Artificial Intelligence (AI) Platform To Bring Sidewalk Riding and Parking Detection Technology to Cities... - December 22nd, 2020
- UC convenes Artificial Intelligence Working Group to harness innovative technology, establish guardrails for equitable and ethical use - University of... - December 22nd, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Research Report by Technology, by Process, by Offerings, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence, Contactless Solutions Set to Provide Safety Protocols to Enable Reopening of Live Events in 2021 - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Employing artificial intelligence to spot infrastructure issues - Construction Dive - December 22nd, 2020