December 17, 2019 -Seventy-nine percent of healthcare professionals indicate that artificial intelligence tools have helped mitigate clinician burnout, suggesting that the technology enables providers to deliver more engaging, patient-centered care, according to a survey conducted by MIT Technology Review and GE Healthcare.
As artificial intelligence tools have slowly made their way into the healthcare industry, many have voiced concerns that the technology will remove the human aspect of patient care, leaving individuals in the care of robots and machines.
Healthcare institutions have been anticipating the impact that artificial intelligence (AI) will have on the performance and efficiency of their operations and their workforcesand the quality of patient care, the report stated.
Contrary to common, yet unproven, fears that machines will replace human workers, AI technologies in health care may actually be re-humanizing healthcare, just as the system itself shifts to value-based care models that may favor the outcome patients receive instead of the number of patients seen.
Through interviews with over 900 healthcare professionals, researchers found that providers are already using AI to improve data analysis, enable better treatment and diagnosis, and reduce administrative burdensall of which free up clinicians time to perform other tasks.
READ MORE: Using Artificial Intelligence to Strengthen Suicide Prevention
Numerous technologies are in play today to allow healthcare professionals to deliver the best care, increasingly customized to patients, and at lower costs, the report said.
Our survey has found medical professionals are already using AI tools, to improve both patient care and back-end business processes, from increasing the accuracy of oncological diagnosis to increasing the efficiency of managing schedules and workflow.
The survey found that medical staff with pilot AI projects spend one-third less time writing reports, while those with extensive AI programs spend two-thirds less time writing reports. Additionally, 45 percent of participants said that AI has helped increase consultation time, as well as time to perform surgery and other procedures.
For those with the most extensive AI rollouts, 70 percent expect to spend more time performing procedures than doing administrative or other work.
AI is being used to assume many of a physicians more mundane administrative responsibilities, such as taking notes or updating electronic health records, researchers said. The more AI is deployed, the less time doctors spend at their computers.
READ MORE: Patient, Provider Support Key to Healthcare Artificial Intelligence
Respondents also indicated that AI is helping them gain an edge in the healthcare market. Eighty percent of business and administrative healthcare professionals said that AI is helping them improve revenue opportunities, while 81 percent said they think AI will make them more competitive providers.
The report also showed that AI-related projects will continue to receive an increasing portion of healthcare spending now and in the future. Seventy-nine percent of respondents said they will be spending more to develop AI applications.
Respondents also indicated that AI has increased the operational efficiency of healthcare organizations. Seventy-eight percent of healthcare professionals said that their AI deployments have already created workflow improvements in areas including schedule management.
Using AI to optimize schedule management and other administrative tasks creates opportunities to leverage AI for more patient-facing applications, allowing clinicians to work with patients more closely.
AIs core value proposition is in both improving diagnosing abilities and reducing regulatory and data complexities by automating and streamlining workflow. This allows healthcare professionals to harness the wealth of insight the industry is generating, without drowning in it, the report said.
READ MORE: GE Launches Program to Ease Artificial Intelligence Adoption
AI has also helped healthcare professionals reduce clinical errors. Medical staff who dont use AI cited fighting clinical error as a key challenge two-thirds of the timemore than double that of medical staff who have AI deployments.
Additionally, advanced tools are helping users identify and treat clinical issues. Seventy-five percent of respondents agree that AI has enabled better predictions in the treatment of disease.
AI-enabled decision-support algorithms allow medical teams to make more accurate diagnoses, researchers noted.
This means doing something big by doing something really small: noticing minute irregularities in patient information. That could be the difference between acting on a life-threatening issueor missing it.
While AI has shown a lot of promise in the industry, the technology still comes with challenges. Fifty-seven percent of respondents said that integrating AI applications into existing systems is challenging, and more than half of professionals planning to deploy AI raise concerns about medical professional adoption, support from top management, and technical support.
To overcome these challenges, researchers recommended that clinical staff collaborate to implement and deploy AI tools.
AI needs to work for healthcare professionals as part of a robust, integrated ecosystem. It needs to be more than deploying technologyin fact, the more humanized the application of AI is, the more it will be adopted and improve results and return on investment. After all, in healthcare, the priority is the patient, researchers concluded.
- Why Neuro-Symbolic Artificial Intelligence Is The AI Of The Future - Digital Trends - January 5th, 2020
- Welcome to the roaring 2020s, the artificial intelligence decade - GreenBiz - January 5th, 2020
- Top five projections in Artificial Intelligence for 2020 - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- A reality check on artificial intelligence: Can it match the hype? - PhillyVoice.com - January 5th, 2020
- Can medical artificial intelligence live up to the hype? - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- Illinois regulates artificial intelligence like HireVues used to analyze online job Interviews - Vox.com - January 5th, 2020
- How This Cofounder Created An Artificial Intelligence Styling Company To Help Consumers Shop - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Takes on Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - January 5th, 2020
- Baidu looks to work with Indian institutions on AI - BusinessLine - January 5th, 2020
- Top Movies Of 2019 That Depicted Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Analytics India Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Shocking ways AI technology will revolutionise every day industries in YOUR lifetime - Express.co.uk - January 5th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence takes scam to a whole new level - The Jackson Sun - January 5th, 2020
- Global Industrial Artificial Intelligence Market 2019 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2024 - Food &... - January 5th, 2020
- IIT Hyderabad to collaborate with Telangana government on artificial intelligence - India Today - January 5th, 2020
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - January 5th, 2020
- Revisiting the rise of A.I.: How far has artificial intelligence come since 2010? - Digital Trends - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence is helping us talk to animals (yes, really) - Wired.co.uk - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies Previously Unknown Features Associated with Cancer Recurrence - Imaging Technology News - December 30th, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Rushing Into Patient Care - And Could Raise Risks - Scientific American - December 30th, 2019
- Quantum leap: Why we first need to focus on the ethical challenges of artificial intelligence - Economic Times - December 30th, 2019
- In 2020, lets stop AI ethics-washing and actually do something - MIT Technology Review - December 30th, 2019
- The Power Of Purpose: How We Counter Hate Used Artificial Intelligence To Battle Hate Speech Online - Forbes - December 30th, 2019
- The skills needed to land the hottest tech job of 2020 - Business Insider Nordic - December 30th, 2019
- In the 2020s, human-level A.I. will arrive, and finally ace the Turing test - Inverse - December 30th, 2019
- Samsung to announce its Neon artificial intelligence project at CES 2020 - Firstpost - December 30th, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything - HowStuffWorks - December 26th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence jobs on the rise, along with everything else AI - ZDNet - December 26th, 2019
- Why Cognitive Technology May Be A Better Term Than Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- What Is The Artificial Intelligence Of Things? When AI Meets IoT - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- One key to artificial intelligence on the battlefield: trust - C4ISRNet - December 26th, 2019
- How is Artificial Intelligence (AI) Changing the Future of Architecture? - AiThority - December 26th, 2019
- Who will really dominate artificial intelligence capabilities in the future? - Tech Wire Asia - December 26th, 2019
- For Telangana, 2020 will be year of artificial intelligence - BusinessLine - December 26th, 2019
- Chanukah and the Battle of Artificial Intelligence - The Ultimate Victory of the Human Being - Chabad.org - December 26th, 2019
- AI-based health app: Putting patients first - ETHealthworld.com - December 26th, 2019
- Fels backs calls to use artificial intelligence as wage-theft detector - The Age - December 26th, 2019
- China should step up regulation of artificial intelligence in finance, think tank says - Reuters - December 26th, 2019
- Law must be adapted for the Fourth Industrial Revolution | TheHill - The Hill - December 26th, 2019
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - December 21st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence, Foresight, and the Offense-Defense Balance - War on the Rocks - December 21st, 2019
- Finland offers crash course in artificial intelligence to EU - The Associated Press - December 21st, 2019
- 7 tips to get your resume past the robots reading it - CNBC - December 21st, 2019
- The Machines Are Learning, and So Are the Students - The New York Times - December 21st, 2019
- Zebra Medical Vision Announces Agreement With DePuy Synthes to Deploy Cloud Based Artificial Intelligence Orthopaedic Surgical Planning Tools -... - December 21st, 2019
- Top Artificial Intelligence Books Released In 2019 That You Must Read - Analytics India Magazine - December 21st, 2019
- Why video games and board games arent a good measure of AI intelligence - The Verge - December 21st, 2019
- New Findings Show Artificial Intelligence Software Improves Breast Cancer Detection and Physician Accuracy - P&T Community - December 21st, 2019
- Tommie Experts: Ethically Educating on Artificial Intelligence at St. Thomas - University of St. Thomas Newsroom - December 21st, 2019
- Artificial intelligence predictions for 2020: 16 experts have their say - Verdict - December 21st, 2019
- Beethovens unfinished tenth symphony to be completed by artificial intelligence - Classic FM - December 21st, 2019
- Innovations in Artificial Intelligence, Cloud, Blockchain, and Analytics, 2019: Advances in AI, Blockchain, and Business Intelligence -... - December 19th, 2019
- Innovations in Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, IoT, and Analytics, 2019 Study - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - December 19th, 2019
- Military Applications of Artificial Intelligence - Ethics Project Now Funded - Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) - December 19th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence might be a factor behind the Climate Change - Digital Information World - December 19th, 2019
- Tech experts agree its time to regulate artificial intelligence if only it were that simple - GeekWire - December 19th, 2019
- Latest Innovations in Wound Care, Ophthalmic Devices, and Artificial Intelligence-enabled Diagnostics, 2019 Research Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 19th, 2019
- Innovations in Radar-on-Chip, Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging Systems, Artificial Intelligence, and In-vehicle Sensing Solutions, 2019 Study -... - December 19th, 2019
- Ume University: Master all areas of Artificial Intelligence - Study International News - December 19th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence must be used with care - The Australian Financial Review - December 19th, 2019
- Accountability is the key to ethical artificial intelligence, experts say - ComputerWeekly.com - December 19th, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence in the banking sector & how AI is being used in 2020 - Business Insider India - December 19th, 2019
- 8 Tools: How To Think About Artificial Intelligence In The Music Industry - hypebot.com - December 19th, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Reshaping the Future of Stock Picking - InsideHook - December 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Solutions and Market Opportunities to 2024: A Comprehensive 10-Report Research Bundle - Yahoo Finance - December 18th, 2019
- It's artificial intelligence to the rescue (and response and recovery) - GreenBiz - December 18th, 2019
- Schlumberger inks deal to expand artificial intelligence in the oil field - Chron - December 18th, 2019
- Boschs A.I.-powered tech could prevent accidents by staring at you - Digital Trends - December 18th, 2019
- New Solar Estimator Shows How AI Will Transform the Home Improvement - AiThority - December 18th, 2019
- 8 Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Cloud Predictions To Watch in 2020 - Irish Tech News - December 18th, 2019
- Joint Artificial Intelligence Center Director tells Naval War College audience to 'Dive In' on AI - What'sUpNewp - December 18th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence: The rising star of education - Daily Sabah - December 3rd, 2019
- Asia-Pacific Digital Transformation Markets 2019-2024: Focus on 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Opinion | The artificial intelligence frontier of economic theory - Livemint - December 3rd, 2019
- Seminar - Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Young People - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2019
- Triple your CX impact with artificial intelligence and these five tactics - CXNetwork - December 3rd, 2019
- BioSig Technologies Announces New Collaboration on Development of Artificial Intelligence Solutions in Healthcare - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Amazon makes three major AI announcements during re:Invent 2019 - AI News - December 3rd, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence on humans - Bangkok Post - December 3rd, 2019
- What Jobs Will Artificial Intelligence Affect? - EHS Today - December 3rd, 2019