December 17, 2019 -Seventy-nine percent of healthcare professionals indicate that artificial intelligence tools have helped mitigate clinician burnout, suggesting that the technology enables providers to deliver more engaging, patient-centered care, according to a survey conducted by MIT Technology Review and GE Healthcare.
As artificial intelligence tools have slowly made their way into the healthcare industry, many have voiced concerns that the technology will remove the human aspect of patient care, leaving individuals in the care of robots and machines.
Healthcare institutions have been anticipating the impact that artificial intelligence (AI) will have on the performance and efficiency of their operations and their workforcesand the quality of patient care, the report stated.
Contrary to common, yet unproven, fears that machines will replace human workers, AI technologies in health care may actually be re-humanizing healthcare, just as the system itself shifts to value-based care models that may favor the outcome patients receive instead of the number of patients seen.
Through interviews with over 900 healthcare professionals, researchers found that providers are already using AI to improve data analysis, enable better treatment and diagnosis, and reduce administrative burdensall of which free up clinicians time to perform other tasks.
READ MORE: Using Artificial Intelligence to Strengthen Suicide Prevention
Numerous technologies are in play today to allow healthcare professionals to deliver the best care, increasingly customized to patients, and at lower costs, the report said.
Our survey has found medical professionals are already using AI tools, to improve both patient care and back-end business processes, from increasing the accuracy of oncological diagnosis to increasing the efficiency of managing schedules and workflow.
The survey found that medical staff with pilot AI projects spend one-third less time writing reports, while those with extensive AI programs spend two-thirds less time writing reports. Additionally, 45 percent of participants said that AI has helped increase consultation time, as well as time to perform surgery and other procedures.
For those with the most extensive AI rollouts, 70 percent expect to spend more time performing procedures than doing administrative or other work.
AI is being used to assume many of a physicians more mundane administrative responsibilities, such as taking notes or updating electronic health records, researchers said. The more AI is deployed, the less time doctors spend at their computers.
READ MORE: Patient, Provider Support Key to Healthcare Artificial Intelligence
Respondents also indicated that AI is helping them gain an edge in the healthcare market. Eighty percent of business and administrative healthcare professionals said that AI is helping them improve revenue opportunities, while 81 percent said they think AI will make them more competitive providers.
The report also showed that AI-related projects will continue to receive an increasing portion of healthcare spending now and in the future. Seventy-nine percent of respondents said they will be spending more to develop AI applications.
Respondents also indicated that AI has increased the operational efficiency of healthcare organizations. Seventy-eight percent of healthcare professionals said that their AI deployments have already created workflow improvements in areas including schedule management.
Using AI to optimize schedule management and other administrative tasks creates opportunities to leverage AI for more patient-facing applications, allowing clinicians to work with patients more closely.
AIs core value proposition is in both improving diagnosing abilities and reducing regulatory and data complexities by automating and streamlining workflow. This allows healthcare professionals to harness the wealth of insight the industry is generating, without drowning in it, the report said.
READ MORE: GE Launches Program to Ease Artificial Intelligence Adoption
AI has also helped healthcare professionals reduce clinical errors. Medical staff who dont use AI cited fighting clinical error as a key challenge two-thirds of the timemore than double that of medical staff who have AI deployments.
Additionally, advanced tools are helping users identify and treat clinical issues. Seventy-five percent of respondents agree that AI has enabled better predictions in the treatment of disease.
AI-enabled decision-support algorithms allow medical teams to make more accurate diagnoses, researchers noted.
This means doing something big by doing something really small: noticing minute irregularities in patient information. That could be the difference between acting on a life-threatening issueor missing it.
While AI has shown a lot of promise in the industry, the technology still comes with challenges. Fifty-seven percent of respondents said that integrating AI applications into existing systems is challenging, and more than half of professionals planning to deploy AI raise concerns about medical professional adoption, support from top management, and technical support.
To overcome these challenges, researchers recommended that clinical staff collaborate to implement and deploy AI tools.
AI needs to work for healthcare professionals as part of a robust, integrated ecosystem. It needs to be more than deploying technologyin fact, the more humanized the application of AI is, the more it will be adopted and improve results and return on investment. After all, in healthcare, the priority is the patient, researchers concluded.
- A guide to healthy skepticism of artificial intelligence and coronavirus - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2020
- AI vs your career? What artificial intelligence will really do to the future of work - ZDNet - April 2nd, 2020
- Return On Artificial Intelligence: The Challenge And The Opportunity - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Stanford launches an accelerated test of AI to help with Covid-19 care - STAT - April 2nd, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Helping Fight The COVID-19 Pandemic - Entrepreneur - April 2nd, 2020
- Enterprise Artificial Intelligence Along With Telehealth And Teleconferences Can Help In Fighting COVID-19 - Entrepreneur - April 2nd, 2020
- AI (Artificial Intelligence) Companies That Are Combating The COVID-19 Pandemic - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Going to Make Your Analytics Better Than Ever - Security Magazine - April 2nd, 2020
- STAT's guide to how hospitals are using AI to fight Covid-19 - STAT - April 2nd, 2020
- 6 Visions of How Artificial Intelligence will Change Architecture - ArchDaily - April 2nd, 2020
- The race problem with AI: Machines are learning to be racist' - Metro.co.uk - April 2nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Retail Market Projected to Grow with a CAGR of 35.9% Over the Forecast Period, 2019-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 2nd, 2020
- Google and the Oxford Internet Institute explain artificial intelligence basics with the A-Z of AI - VentureBeat - April 2nd, 2020
- AiThority Interview with Seth Siegel, AI Consulting at Infosys - AiThority - April 2nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence turns a persons thoughts into text - Times of India - April 2nd, 2020
- The Limitations of Artificial Intelligence in Businesses - AZoRobotics - April 2nd, 2020
- VA Looking to Expand Usage of Artificial Intelligence Data - GovernmentCIO Media - April 2nd, 2020
- New blood test study uses artificial intelligence to identify cancer. But its not ready for patients yet. - Cancer Research UK - Science Blog - April 2nd, 2020
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - March 28th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - March 28th, 2020
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - March 28th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market - Premium Insight, Competitive News Feed Analysis, Company Usability Profiles, Market Sizing &... - March 28th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Aviation Market is expected to grow from USD 214.36 Million in 2018 to USD 1,824.46 Million by the end of 2025... - March 28th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to disease prevention? - The Burn-In - March 28th, 2020
- Why transparency is key to promoting trust in artificial intelligence - IT PRO - March 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Spain to use artificial intelligence to automate testing - ComputerWeekly.com - March 28th, 2020
- Bridging the gaps: joining human and artificial intelligence | Technology - Business Chief Canada - March 28th, 2020
- DIAGNOS Will Utilize its Artificial Intelligence Medical Platform FLAIRE in Response to the US White House - Call to Action to Analyse and Transform... - March 26th, 2020
- LiveMD Global Telehealth Platform launches artificial intelligence tracking and triaging tools to help combat COVID-19 (CoronaVirus) Pandemic -... - March 26th, 2020
- New Research from Newark Reveals Strong Adoption of Artificial Intelligence within the Internet of Things Ecosystem - Embedded Computing Design - March 26th, 2020
- AI vs COVID-19: Here are the AI tools and services fighting coronavirus - AI News - March 26th, 2020
- Stanford virtual conference to focus on COVID19 and artificial intelligence | Stanford News - Stanford University News - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the energy sector: opportunities and challenges - WhaTech - March 26th, 2020
- 31 Companies, Products and People making Artificial Intelligence a Reality in 2020 - PR Web - March 26th, 2020
- KT zu Guttenberg, Artificial Intelligence and You - theTrumpet.com - March 26th, 2020
- BrainChip and Socionext Provide a New Low-Power Artificial Intelligence Platform for AI Edge Applications - Design and Reuse - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Chipsets Market report reviews overview with demographic data and industry growth trends by 2025 - WhaTech Technology and... - March 26th, 2020
- Richmond-based Blue Heron Capital invests in company that uses artificial intelligence to improve lung disease monitoring - Richmond.com - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Becoming the Future of Investment Platforms - EnterpriseTalk - March 19th, 2020
- Is Your Company Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The Forbes 2020 AI 50 List Are Now Open - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- On the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Genomics to Enhance Precisio | PGPM - Dove Medical Press - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence myths: Reality check - Livemint - March 19th, 2020
- Battery Researchers Look to Artificial Intelligence to Slash Recharging Times - Greentech Media News - March 19th, 2020
- The Army Will Soon Be Able to Command Robot Tanks With Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - March 19th, 2020
- Canon Medical's 3T MR System Receives FDA Clearance for Artificial Intelligence-Based Image Reconstruction Technology - BioSpace - March 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How Artificial Intelligence, Data Science And Technology Is Used To Fight The Pandemic - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence: The new power dynamic of today - Daily Sabah - March 19th, 2020
- Rethinking Financial Services with Artificial Intelligence Tools - The Financial Brand - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence recruited to find clues about Covid-19 - The Star Online - March 19th, 2020
- IIT-M to reskill women in artificial intelligence - Campus Varta - March 19th, 2020
- San Diego-Based Company takes Digital Marketing to the next Level by Launching the First Artificial Intelligence Marketing Agency in the United States... - March 19th, 2020
- An Unexpected Ally in the War With Bacteria - The Atlantic - March 19th, 2020
- Compliance For A Digital World: BSA/AML The New ABC's: Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain And How Each Complements The Other - JD Supra - March 19th, 2020
- The next step in digital transformation: is Artificial Intelligence production-ready for green sand foundries? - Foundry-Planet.com - March 19th, 2020
- Insights into the North America Artificial Intelligence in Fashion Market to 2027 - Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Trends -... - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence by CWI and Amsterdam UMC proposes the best radiation treatment plans in clinical practice for the first time - Centrum... - March 19th, 2020
- H2O.ai Named to the 2020 CB Insights AI 100 List of Most Innovative Artificial Intelligence Startups - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- 'There's No Story That Stays Stable for Too Long.' How Artists Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Confront Modern Anxieties - TIME - March 4th, 2020
- Minister declares creation of artificial intelligence centres in Poland - The First News - March 4th, 2020
- Dont forget to consider GDPR when using artificial intelligence in the workplace - ComputerWeekly.com - March 4th, 2020
- Iktos and SRI International Announce Collaboration to Combine Artificial Intelligence and Novel Automated Discovery Platform for Accelerated... - March 4th, 2020
- Why we need to adapt existing EU laws to Artificial Intelligence - European Public Health Alliance - March 4th, 2020
- How a Portland nonprofit is using artificial intelligence to help save whales, giraffes, zebras - Seattle Times - March 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Infused with Big Data Creating a Tech-driven World - EnterpriseTalk - March 4th, 2020
- Gaming with Artificial Intelligence Technology in 2020 - ReadWrite - March 4th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud Based Solutions to Boost Market Growth | Technavio -... - March 4th, 2020
- WorldMarkets Continues With the Success of Its Trading Artificial Intelligence - Live Bitcoin News - March 4th, 2020
- Why Artificial Intelligence Will Never Beat the Stock Market - Traders Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Why Neuro-Symbolic Artificial Intelligence Is The AI Of The Future - Digital Trends - January 5th, 2020
- Welcome to the roaring 2020s, the artificial intelligence decade - GreenBiz - January 5th, 2020
- Top five projections in Artificial Intelligence for 2020 - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- A reality check on artificial intelligence: Can it match the hype? - PhillyVoice.com - January 5th, 2020
- Can medical artificial intelligence live up to the hype? - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- Illinois regulates artificial intelligence like HireVues used to analyze online job Interviews - Vox.com - January 5th, 2020
- How This Cofounder Created An Artificial Intelligence Styling Company To Help Consumers Shop - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Takes on Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - January 5th, 2020
- Baidu looks to work with Indian institutions on AI - BusinessLine - January 5th, 2020
- Top Movies Of 2019 That Depicted Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Analytics India Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Shocking ways AI technology will revolutionise every day industries in YOUR lifetime - Express.co.uk - January 5th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence takes scam to a whole new level - The Jackson Sun - January 5th, 2020