The battery sector is turning to artificial intelligence for clues on how to improve recharging rates without increasing the degradation of lithium-ion batteries.
Last month, a team from Stanford University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the Toyota Research Institute published findings from battery testing aimed at cutting electric-vehicle charging times down to 10 minutes. The research, published in Nature, revealed how artificial intelligence could speed up the testing process required for novel charging techniques.
The researchers wrote a program that predicted how batteries would respond to different charging approaches and was able to cut the testing process from almost two years to 16 days, Stanford reported. The technique was used to evaluate 224 possible high-cycle-life charging processes in just over two weeks, the researchers said.
The research effort has been in progress for at least three years. In 2017, the Toyota Research Institute committed $35 million to artificial intelligence battery research, initially focusing on new materials.
Last year, the research partners claimed artificial intelligence could help predict the useful life of lithium-ion batteries to within 9 percent of the actual life cycle of the products.
The standard way to test new battery designs is to charge and discharge the cells until they die,co-lead author Peter Attia, now of Tesla but then a Stanford doctoral candidate in materials science and engineering, said in a press release at the time.
Since batteries have a long lifetime, this process can take many months and even years. Its an expensive bottleneck in battery research.
Independentof these efforts, a Canadian firm called GBatteries is using artificial intelligence in a bid to cut lithium-ion battery charging times down to five minutes. The company has succeeded in recharging an electric scooter battery in less than 10 minutes.
The main challenge with extremely fast charging is that it heats up and degrades the battery, GBatteries co-founder and Chief Commercial Officer Tim Sherstyuk told GTM.
The rates that can be achieved with todays fast-charging technology, which are slow by gas-station filling standards, are already problematic for batteries, he said.
Most fast-charging initiatives focus on novel chemistries that wont degrade easily, Sherstyuk said. GBatteries, meanwhile, uses artificial intelligence to monitor the state of the battery as it is charging.
Once the impedance of the battery reaches a critical level, the GBatteries algorithm pauses charging long enough to avoid irreversible damage. This allows charging to proceed in a series of high-intensity pulses at a rate much faster than is possible with traditional methods.
The GBatteries technology works for small batteries and has been demonstrated on power tools, cutting charging times from between 30 to 60 minutes down to 11. But scaling it up to cope with an electric vehicle battery pack is going to take a while, said Sherstyuk.
Even if artificial intelligence can help crack the means to charge electric vehicles as quickly as you now fill your tank with gas, it will take a while for the auto industry to incorporate the technology into the mainstream. The time horizon is years, not months.
Nevertheless, there is plenty of industry interest in tackling the problem.
Charging time is usually the fourth concern that people raise when considering to go electric or not, after upfront cost, range of the vehicle and where [to] charge, said Aaron Fishbone, director of communications at GreenWay, which operates a fast-charging network across Eastern Europe.
So, while not a top-tier issue, its still one raised by many people.
GBatteries pulse charging will require a lot more testing before it might be considered appropriate for the 50+ kilowattpower ratings required for electric vehicles, Fishbone said. In the meantime, high-power recharging is already reducing the time it takes to charge a battery.
Although there are not yet many cars that can take them, a 150-kilowatt charger can add 100 kilometers (62 miles) of range to an electric vehicle within a little over seven minutes, Fishbone said.
Nonetheless, anything which can speed up charging time without degrading battery life is a welcome development and can lead to other innovations which push the whole industry."
See the article here:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Definition - Investopedia - May 31st, 2020
- The Temptations Of Artificial Intelligence Technology And The Price Of Admission - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence offers a chance to optimize COVID-19 treatment in international partnership - Vanderbilt University News - May 31st, 2020
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 31st, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is hopelessly biased - and that's how it will stay - TechRadar India - May 31st, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 31st, 2020
- Art and artifice - The Indian Express - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence software improves accuracy, doubles speed in evaluating CT scans of advanced cancer - UAB News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 31st, 2020
- The Use of Artificial Intelligence by Investment Advisers: Considerations Based on an Advisers Fiduciary Duties - JD Supra - May 31st, 2020
- Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Infrastructures job with UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL | 208485 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 31st, 2020
- Walmart Employees Are Out to Show Its Anti-Shoplifting AI Doesn't Work - WIRED - May 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 31st, 2020
- IIT-Ropar and TSW Launch a PG Programme in Artificial Intelligence - THE WEEK - May 31st, 2020
- MS in Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence - May 19th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? | Azure Blog and Updates ... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are the Advantages of Artificial Intelligence ... - May 19th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - May 19th, 2020
- It's Called Artificial Intelligencebut What Is Intelligence? - WIRED - May 19th, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 19th, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence-based imaging reconstruction may lead to incorrect diagnoses, experts caution - Radiology Business - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Covid Frontline - Morningstar - May 19th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Cancer: How Is It Used in Practice? - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 19th, 2020
- Five Important Subsets of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- Ethical artificial intelligence: Could Switzerland take the lead? - swissinfo.ch - May 19th, 2020
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence: Edge Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Architecture - May 15th, 2020
- Keysight Validates Artificial Intelligence (AI) and ... - May 15th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence? Examples and News in 2019 ... - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Is Nothing Without Humans - E3zine.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is helping seniors who are isolated during the coronavirus pandemic - WXYZ - May 15th, 2020
- ValleyML is launching a Machine Learning and Deep Learning Boot Camp from July 14th to Sept 10th and AI Expo Series from Sept 21st to Nov 19th 2020.... - May 15th, 2020
- TSA Issues Road Map to Tackle Insider Threat With Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - May 15th, 2020
- The Expanding Role Of Artificial Intelligence In Tax - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: Technology Of The Future - Forbes India - May 15th, 2020
- SparkCognition and Milize to Offer Automated Machine Learning Solutions for Financial Institutions to the APAC Region - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- Alpha Modus Allowed 2nd Patent Leveraging Artificial Intelligence for Monitoring and Analyzing Consumer Behavior - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla : Artificial Intelligence - the .AI domain is on the rise - marketscreener.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Can Only Help Architecture if We Ask the Right Questions - ArchDaily - May 15th, 2020
- Fighting COVID-19: Artificial Intelligence community to help citizens and the healthcare system - Canada NewsWire - May 15th, 2020
- Understanding the Four Types of Artificial Intelligence - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence Facts for Kids - May 9th, 2020
- 4 Main Types of Artificial Intelligence - G2 - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence project lets Holocaust survivors ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Simple English Wikipedia, the ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Market by Size, Share, Analysis ... - May 9th, 2020
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence movie review (2001) | Roger Ebert - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Evolving to Process the World Like Humans - Interesting Engineering - May 9th, 2020
- Drug research turns to artificial intelligence in COVID-19 fight - Business in Vancouver - May 9th, 2020
- Women wanted: Why now could be a good time for women to pursue a career in AI - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Used to Identify Light Sources With Far Fewer Measurements - Unite.AI - May 9th, 2020
- The Impending Artificial Intelligence Revolution in Healthcare - Op-Ed - HIT Consultant - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 identification in X-ray images by Artificial intelligence - News Anyway - May 9th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to the care sector amid COVID-19? - Descrier - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2020
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - April 26th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - April 26th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | PCMag - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence And Automation Top Focus For Venture Capitalists - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence can take banks to the next level - TechRepublic - April 26th, 2020
- Health care of tomorrow, today: How artificial intelligence is fighting the current, and future, COVID-19 pandemic | TheHill - The Hill - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence, IoT And Big Data Can Save The Bees - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- First meeting of the new CEPEJ Working Group on cyberjustice and artificial intelligence - Council of Europe - April 26th, 2020
- When the coronavirus hit, California turned to artificial intelligence to help map the spread - 60 Minutes - CBS News - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Oil & Gas Industry, 2020-2025 - Upstream Operations to Witness Significant Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 26th, 2020
- Pre & Post COVID-19 Market Estimates-Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market in Retail Sector 2019-2023| Increased Efficiency of Operations to Boost... - April 26th, 2020
- EUREKA Clusters Artificial Intelligence (AI) Call | News item - The Netherlands and You - April 26th, 2020
- A guide to healthy skepticism of artificial intelligence and coronavirus - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2020