Image source: Leibniz IPHT
By: Sven Dring
Leibniz IPHT is increasingly focusing on artificial intelligence and learning systems. Thomas Bocklitz is heading the new research department "Photonic Data Science". We asked him how AI could help shape the future of diagnostics
What new possibilities does Photonic Data Science open up for diagnostics?
Photonic Data Science is a potpourri combining mathematical and statistical methods with algorithms and domain knowledge to translate measurement data into useful information. We usually translate photonic data into biomedical for example diagnostic information. By translating with the computer, robust diagnostic information can be extracted. Tiny details in complex data can be made useful for diagnostics. This opens up new possibilities for diagnostics.
Artificial intelligence (AI) then helps to evaluate this data. Which technologies researched at the institute are based on AI?
In the laser-based rapid test of infectious pathogens, machine learning methods and algorithms for data pre-treatment are used to translate Raman spectra of bacteria into a resistance prediction i.e. to predict pathogens and antibiotic resistances on the basis of the spectroscopically recorded data. For the compact microscope Medicars we use deep and machine learning techniques to translate multimodal image data into a tissue prediction for the detection of tumor margins. In smartphone microscopy, which is being researched by Rainer Heintzmann's team, image enhancement is achieved by means of deep learning procedures.
Where do the data sets come from that are currently mainly used? Can they be applied equally to all patients?
The data sets are generated within clinical studies, which we supervise from the beginning. The studies are still too small to exclude a gender bias, but we are working on the experimental design so that there is no gender bias in the training data set and we hope that the models will not generate any bias.
Does the automated analysis of medical control data also carry a risk? A loss of control?
Of course, every technology has risks, although these are manageable here. Artificial intelligence or machine learning processes only work well if the new test data is similar to the training data. We try to tackle this problem by creating the necessary similarity through standardization and model transfer in order to im- prove the predictions. There is a loss of control when the models are applied fully automatically. But in the medium term the models will only represent a second opinion, so there will be no loss of control.
Can physicians improve the learning systems? Is the procedure of AI applications comprehensible for them?
Physicians can increase the database or reduce the uncertainty of the metadata i.e. labels by pooling or voting, which leads to better models. The traceability of AI models is a major topic in current machine learning research Keyword "Explainable AI". The aim is to decipher these models in order to make it clearly understandable how mass-based learning methods and deep learning systems achieve their results.
Can AI be perfected to the point where it can eventually make better diagnoses than a human?
I think so, if the data is highly standardized. Another challenge is to demonstrate that improvement. This requires quite long clinical trials and is ethically problematic.
Could AI ever replace doctors instead of just to supporting them? For example, could operations be performed by AI-controlled robots at some point?
I don't think so, because there are many uncertainties in an operation that must be reacted to flexibly. This is not a prominent feature of current AI procedures. It's more likely that the surgical robots will do very specific things directly on the operator's instructions.
Will AI make medicine better?
In the long run, I think so. But first, it will make diagnostics more comparable and it will also allow data to be used not only sequentially, but in combination.
Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Deep Learning
Decision making, problem solving, learning these are actions that we commonly associate with human thinking. We call their automation artificial intelligence (AI). An important part of AI is machine learning (ML). Scientists are researching algorithms andstatistical or mathematical methods with which computer systems can solve specific tasks.
For this purpose, machine learning methods construct a statistical-mathematical model from an example data set, the training data. On this basis, ML methods can make predictions or make decisions without having been explicitly programmed for it. ML techniques are used, for example, for spam detection in e-mail accounts, in image processing, and for the analysis of spectroscopic data. Deep learning is a method of machine learning that is similar to the way the human brain processes visual and other stimuli. Artificial neurons receive input, process it and pass it on to other neurons.Starting from a first, visible layer, the characteristics in the subsequent, hidden intermediate layers become increasingly abstract. The result is output in the last, again visible layer.
Making Tumor Tissue Visible with AI
Did the surgeon remove the entire tumor during surgery? In order to find out, researchers are combining optical methods with artificial intelligence (AI) and data pre-processing methods. AI is behind the compact Medicars microscope, for example, which enables rapid cancer diagnosis during surgery. Here, patterns and molecular details of a tissue sample irradiated with laser light are automatically evaluated and translated into classical images of standard diagnostics. Thus, tumor margins become visible.
"For this purpose, we train AI algorithms together with pathologists," explains Thomas Bocklitz. We take multimodal images of a tissue sample with our laser-based multi- modal microscope. In pathology, the tissue section is then embedded, stained, and an image of the HE- stained tissue section is taken (HE = haematoxylin-eosin). This enables the pathologist to recognize tumor tissue. Then we put the multimodal and the HE image side by side."
Based on the pathologist's analysis of the tissue structure and morphology, the research team teaches the algorithm which tissue is healthy and which is sick. "In this supervised approach, the algorithm learns to distinguish successive, healthy and diseased areas." With success: The accuracy of the predictions is more than 90 percent according to tests on a small group of patients.
Source: Leibniz IPHT
- A crewless boat is recreating the Mayflower's 400-year-old journey, with the help of artificial intelligence - CBS News - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Is It All Just Costly Hype? - Dice Insights - December 26th, 2020
- 7 Types of Artificial Intelligence: Propelling the Technology Development - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence will go mainstream in 2021 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 26th, 2020
- Top 7 Amazing Artificial Intelligence Applications that Are Unfamiliar - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- NASCAR Team up with the World Poker Tour while Artificial Intelligence Breaks New Barriers - HighstakesDB - December 26th, 2020
- Youve heard of Elf on the Shelf; in New Haven theres elf with artificial intelligence - New Haven Register - December 26th, 2020
- How is Artificial Intelligence Transforming the lives of People with Disabilities? - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- How Bad Is Your Spotify? There's Artificial Intelligence to Judge Your Taste - Distractify - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence measure included in must-pass government funding deal - Homeland Preparedness News - December 26th, 2020
- PetrSU joined the fight for leadership in the field of artificial intelligence applications in Russia and in the world - India Education Diary - December 26th, 2020
- Why not enlist the help of artificial intelligence to nudge people to mask up? - Houston Chronicle - December 22nd, 2020
- Congress wants an inventory of all AI projects at the Pentagon - C4ISRNet - December 22nd, 2020
- The influence of artificial intelligence on the banking industry - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - December 22nd, 2020
- Application of artificial intelligence in the field of treatment and medicine - Tehran Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The 2021 AI 50 List Are Open - Forbes - December 22nd, 2020
- Delivering Proactive Mental Healthcare With Artificial Intelligence - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is intertwined in precision agriculture - AGDAILY - December 22nd, 2020
- Spin Announces Cutting Edge On-Vehicle Artificial Intelligence (AI) Platform To Bring Sidewalk Riding and Parking Detection Technology to Cities... - December 22nd, 2020
- UC convenes Artificial Intelligence Working Group to harness innovative technology, establish guardrails for equitable and ethical use - University of... - December 22nd, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Research Report by Technology, by Process, by Offerings, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence, Contactless Solutions Set to Provide Safety Protocols to Enable Reopening of Live Events in 2021 - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Employing artificial intelligence to spot infrastructure issues - Construction Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- CPPI and HSDF Release Report from Virtual Symposium: Artificial Intelligence: Transforming the Government Mission - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Top 10 AI and machine learning stories of 2020 - Healthcare IT News - December 17th, 2020
- The 8 Best Books About Artificial Intelligence to Read Now - WIRED - December 17th, 2020
- KODA AUTO wins Pioneer Award for its use of artificial intelligence and Sound Analyser app - Automotive World - December 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligences Are Power Hungry, But Not How You Think - Nextgov - December 17th, 2020
- Now is the time to ensure artificial intelligence works for Europeans - EU News - December 17th, 2020
- Currux Vision LLC Announces Industry Leading Accuracy of Artificial Intelligence Smart City Traffic Platform Testing with the City of San Jos - PR Web - December 17th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to reach fathers and support child nutrition in India during COVID-19 - World Bank Group - December 17th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence helped me overcome my dyslexia - The Guardian - December 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Advances Showcased at the Virtual 2020 AACC Annual Scientific Meeting Could Help to Integrate This Technology Into Everyday... - December 17th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Supply Chain Management Market was Valued at US$ 1549.5 Mn in 2019 Growing at a CAGR of 25.12% over the Forecast... - December 17th, 2020
- Are AI and job automation good for society? Globally, views are mixed - Pew Research Center - December 17th, 2020
- Landmark artificial intelligence legislation advances toward becoming law Defense bill awaits possible presidential veto and Congressional override;... - December 17th, 2020
- The Next Generation Of Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - October 16th, 2020
- St. Louis Is Grappling With Artificial Intelligence's Promise And Potential Peril - St. Louis Public Radio - October 16th, 2020
- Looper column: Artificial intelligence, humanity and the future - SouthCoastToday.com - October 16th, 2020
- For artificial intelligence to flourish, governments need to think ahead about its responsible use - Firstpost - October 16th, 2020
- MediFind Selected as Finalist for Best in Artificial Intelligence in the Shorty Social Good Awards - The Wellsboro Gazette - October 16th, 2020
- The relentless threat of artificial intelligence taking our jobs away - Mint - October 16th, 2020
- Will artificial intelligence technology change the dairy industry - positivelyosceola.com - October 16th, 2020
- Penn Medicine researchers use artificial intelligence to identify early signs of Alzheimer's Disease - Express Computer - October 16th, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2020
- SparkCognition Advances the Science of Artificial Intelligence with 85 Patents - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Dont Be Afraid, BMW Promises To Keep Artificial Intelligence (AI) On A Tight Leash With These 7 Principles - CarScoops - October 16th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Government: Global Markets 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 31st, 2020
- Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data - FDA.gov - August 31st, 2020
- Supercharge vegetation management and outage prediction with artificial intelligence - Utility Dive - August 31st, 2020
- Automation, artificial intelligence to be central in the post-Covid world - Economic Times - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Next Top Gun - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Defense Innovation Unit Teaching Artificial Intelligence to Detect Cancer - Department of Defense - August 31st, 2020
- Toward a machine learning model that can reason about everyday actions - MIT News - August 31st, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is changing the way we search and find online - ITProPortal - August 31st, 2020
- TikTok Assets Cant Be Sold Without Chinas Approval - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Oil and Gas Market Global Size, Growth and Demand 2020 to 2030 - The News Brok - August 31st, 2020
- Rage Against the Algorithm: the Risks of Overestimating Military Artificial Intelligence - Chatham House - August 31st, 2020
- U of I to lead two of seven new national artificial intelligence institutes - University of Illinois News - August 31st, 2020
- Holocaust survivors will be able to share their stories after death thanks to a new project - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 31st, 2020
- Funding boost for artificial intelligence in NHS to speed up diagnosis of deadly diseases - GOV.UK - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies 80,000 Spiral Galaxies Promises More Astronomical Discoveries in the Future - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- Is Artificial intelligence the Future of IT Help Desk? - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Experts Are Divided Over Future Of Artificial Intelligence But Agree On Its Growing Impact - Outlook India - August 10th, 2020
- How machine learning and artificial intelligence can drive clinical innovation - PharmaLive - August 10th, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Investments in July 2020 - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Job interviews: Recruiters are using artificial intelligence to analyse what you say to find the right hire - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- The next frontier of human-robot relationships is building trust - Scroll.in - August 8th, 2020
- Game-Changing Artificial Intelligence Solution by PhotoShelter to Revolutionize Social Media Workflow as Premier Lacrosse League Returns to the Field... - August 8th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Helping to Fight against Coronavirus in India? - Analytics Insight - August 8th, 2020
- BLOG: How to capitalise on the Artificial Intelligence theme - Your Money - Your Money - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Its Partners - Modern Diplomacy - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence isnt destroying jobs, its making them more inclusive - The Globe and Mail - August 8th, 2020
- RadNet and Hologic Announce Collaboration to Advance the Development of Artificial Intelligence Tools in Breast Health - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 48% Through 2020-2024|Growing Adoption of... - August 7th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Business: The New Normal in Testing Times - Analytics Insight - August 7th, 2020
- VIEW: Digitisation in pathology and the promise of artificial intelligence - CNBCTV18 - August 7th, 2020
- What It Means to Be Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence - Medium - August 7th, 2020
- Not so Artificial Intelligence When is AI really AI? - EFTM - August 3rd, 2020
- IMD to explore artificial intelligence to improve forecasting, predict extreme weather events - Firstpost - August 3rd, 2020