A new industrial revolution is taking place now and AI (AI) is transforming countries economically. The answer to the question of who is ahead and who is behind is determined by the new economic model based on this AI. Dozens of countries, from China to the U.S., from Finland to Kenya, are making significant investments in the area. It should be noted that by 2030, AI studies will generate a gross domestic product (GDP) greater than the current size of the Chinese economy ($15 trillion). From this new economy, China will generate nearly $7 trillion, the U.S. $3.7 trillion, Northern Europe $1.8 trillion, Africa-Oceania $1.2 trillion, the rest of Asia $0.9 trillion and Latin America $0.5 trillion. So, what will we do as a country? What kind of road map will we follow? How will we move forward in the digital economy revolution?
From driverless subways to flying taxis, from AI doctors to political consultants, from Smart TV announcers and robot muezzins to robot soldiers to autonomous attack planes, how ready are we for the new era?
Digital change and Turkey
AI creates change in society and adds new powers to people's power by enabling groundbreaking developments in areas such as healthcare, agriculture, education and transport. As AI technology continues to grow, we will work to ensure the ethical, pervasive and transparent dissemination of AI around the world, enabling everyone to take advantage of this technology, Microsoft President Brad Smith says.
Technological developments take hold of the entire world today, where digital transformation takes place fast. With new technologies; the processes of transformation and adaptation are taking place in economics, politics, healthcare and many other fields. In this context, studies on AI, 5G, Industry 4.0, big data and the "internet of things" (IoT) largely occupy the agenda. In particular, it is necessary to elaborate on AI studies here.
The studies of AI, which have undergone many ups and downs from the 1950s to the present, have entered a revolutionary process as of the 2010s with the use of machine learning and artificial neural networks.
Especially the fact that technologically and economically developed countries like the U.S., China and Germany have taken interest in AI studies both at the public and private levels and that they are competing with each other, has created a competitive environment across the globe.
The necessity of putting studies in a system within a specific plan has pushed countries to determine strategies and policies. The importance of the situation becomes evident considering that 35 countries have set a national AI strategy and international structures such as the U.N. and the EU joining the process as of January 2020.
Before going into practice in the context of Turkey and AI studies, the following should be noted: We are late in this race, but we can make up for it. Resources are limited, but progress can be made. Reasonable targets should be set. Target sectors should be determined.
The following suggestions should be noted in the area of practice. Research and development (R&D) funds should be created. Higher quality coding education should be offered in primary and secondary levels.
Besides, the field is not composed of engineering, so experts should be trained to interact around the world. Cooperation should be made with developed countries in this area.
It should be turned into a state policy. AI research centers should be established. Specialist import is required. The industrial incentive is required (on a sectoral basis).
Other critical suggestions
When the strategy documents released by other countries and the work they have performed are examined, we can list what needs to be done for Turkey as follows.
The impact of universities in the process should be boosted. AI workshops should be held urgently under the leadership of the academy. Encouraging the meetings to be held in the social sciences rather than in engineering is essential for ensuring that society can keep up with the age of AI and digital transformation. The results of the workshop should be presented to the Digital Transformation Office of the Presidency of the Republic of Turkey and should be taken as a basis in the strategy-building process.
A new academic title can be created to promote academic studies, boost international interest and ensure reverse brain drain. (E.g., the Alexander von Humboldt Professorship created by Germany in the context of AI strategy)
Science and social science departments based on AI-oriented studies should be established in universities and a skilled workforce should be trained in the fields of production, economics, management, law, philosophy and sociology.
The strategic plan should direct what kind of work will be done in what areas and clearly point out the opportunities. After studies are done in the determined fields, the sector can identify the advantageous positions internationally and carry out processes accordingly in different fields like military, healthcare, finance, education, environmental management, biotechnology, and industrial production, etc.
For society to adapt to the age of AI and digital transformation, an instructive website should be prepared and released to the public in visual and digital publications through public service ads.
Economically and technologically advanced countries such as the U.S., Germany, France and Canada attach importance to start-up companies in their strategies due to their advantageous positions. On the contrary, to use Turkeys economic resources in an effective, fast and solution-oriented way, instead of supporting start-up companies; companies that are already strong in the sector should be supported, employment incentives should be provided to ensure the employment of trained personnel in these companies.
To reduce the costs of start-up companies during the founding phase, cash incentives should be provided only for the supply of fixtures.
AI Made in Turkey trademark registration should be created. Manufactured products should be launched worldwide.
Workshops, meetings and consultations in public, private and academic fields should be increased and cooperation agreements should be made to ensure cooperation with leading countries in AI studies.
The use of AI-based programs in public institutions should be encouraged and necessary infrastructure transformation should be carried out.
All of the techno-cities owned by universities based in Istanbul should be collected in Istanbul Technopark. For a formation like Silicon Valley, a city other than Istanbul should be determined and the necessary material and financial infrastructure should be established.
To prevent the transfer of resources to inefficient work, the institutions and organizations that are provided with incentives should be supervised regularly.
Today, we are on the eve of a new era of geographical explorations; what we do will determine our future. If we believe, if we work hard, why not?
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Definition - Investopedia - May 31st, 2020
- The Temptations Of Artificial Intelligence Technology And The Price Of Admission - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence offers a chance to optimize COVID-19 treatment in international partnership - Vanderbilt University News - May 31st, 2020
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 31st, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is hopelessly biased - and that's how it will stay - TechRadar India - May 31st, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 31st, 2020
- Art and artifice - The Indian Express - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence software improves accuracy, doubles speed in evaluating CT scans of advanced cancer - UAB News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 31st, 2020
- The Use of Artificial Intelligence by Investment Advisers: Considerations Based on an Advisers Fiduciary Duties - JD Supra - May 31st, 2020
- Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Infrastructures job with UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL | 208485 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 31st, 2020
- Walmart Employees Are Out to Show Its Anti-Shoplifting AI Doesn't Work - WIRED - May 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 31st, 2020
- IIT-Ropar and TSW Launch a PG Programme in Artificial Intelligence - THE WEEK - May 31st, 2020
- MS in Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence - May 19th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? | Azure Blog and Updates ... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are the Advantages of Artificial Intelligence ... - May 19th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - May 19th, 2020
- It's Called Artificial Intelligencebut What Is Intelligence? - WIRED - May 19th, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 19th, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence-based imaging reconstruction may lead to incorrect diagnoses, experts caution - Radiology Business - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Covid Frontline - Morningstar - May 19th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Cancer: How Is It Used in Practice? - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 19th, 2020
- Five Important Subsets of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- Ethical artificial intelligence: Could Switzerland take the lead? - swissinfo.ch - May 19th, 2020
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence: Edge Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Architecture - May 15th, 2020
- Keysight Validates Artificial Intelligence (AI) and ... - May 15th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence? Examples and News in 2019 ... - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Is Nothing Without Humans - E3zine.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is helping seniors who are isolated during the coronavirus pandemic - WXYZ - May 15th, 2020
- ValleyML is launching a Machine Learning and Deep Learning Boot Camp from July 14th to Sept 10th and AI Expo Series from Sept 21st to Nov 19th 2020.... - May 15th, 2020
- TSA Issues Road Map to Tackle Insider Threat With Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - May 15th, 2020
- The Expanding Role Of Artificial Intelligence In Tax - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: Technology Of The Future - Forbes India - May 15th, 2020
- SparkCognition and Milize to Offer Automated Machine Learning Solutions for Financial Institutions to the APAC Region - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- Alpha Modus Allowed 2nd Patent Leveraging Artificial Intelligence for Monitoring and Analyzing Consumer Behavior - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla : Artificial Intelligence - the .AI domain is on the rise - marketscreener.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Can Only Help Architecture if We Ask the Right Questions - ArchDaily - May 15th, 2020
- Fighting COVID-19: Artificial Intelligence community to help citizens and the healthcare system - Canada NewsWire - May 15th, 2020
- Understanding the Four Types of Artificial Intelligence - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence Facts for Kids - May 9th, 2020
- 4 Main Types of Artificial Intelligence - G2 - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence project lets Holocaust survivors ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Simple English Wikipedia, the ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Market by Size, Share, Analysis ... - May 9th, 2020
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence movie review (2001) | Roger Ebert - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Evolving to Process the World Like Humans - Interesting Engineering - May 9th, 2020
- Drug research turns to artificial intelligence in COVID-19 fight - Business in Vancouver - May 9th, 2020
- Women wanted: Why now could be a good time for women to pursue a career in AI - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Used to Identify Light Sources With Far Fewer Measurements - Unite.AI - May 9th, 2020
- The Impending Artificial Intelligence Revolution in Healthcare - Op-Ed - HIT Consultant - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 identification in X-ray images by Artificial intelligence - News Anyway - May 9th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to the care sector amid COVID-19? - Descrier - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2020
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - April 26th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - April 26th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | PCMag - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence And Automation Top Focus For Venture Capitalists - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence can take banks to the next level - TechRepublic - April 26th, 2020
- Health care of tomorrow, today: How artificial intelligence is fighting the current, and future, COVID-19 pandemic | TheHill - The Hill - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence, IoT And Big Data Can Save The Bees - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- First meeting of the new CEPEJ Working Group on cyberjustice and artificial intelligence - Council of Europe - April 26th, 2020
- When the coronavirus hit, California turned to artificial intelligence to help map the spread - 60 Minutes - CBS News - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Oil & Gas Industry, 2020-2025 - Upstream Operations to Witness Significant Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 26th, 2020
- Pre & Post COVID-19 Market Estimates-Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market in Retail Sector 2019-2023| Increased Efficiency of Operations to Boost... - April 26th, 2020
- EUREKA Clusters Artificial Intelligence (AI) Call | News item - The Netherlands and You - April 26th, 2020
- A guide to healthy skepticism of artificial intelligence and coronavirus - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2020