Since the invention of computers or machines, their capability to perform various tasks went on growing exponentially. Humans have developed the power of computer systems in terms of their diverse working domains, their increasing speed, and reducing size with respect to time.
A branch of Computer Science named Artificial Intelligence pursues creating the computers or machines as intelligent as human beings.
According to the father of Artificial Intelligence, John McCarthy, it is The science and engineering of making intelligent machines, especially intelligent computer programs.
Artificial Intelligence is a way of making a computer, a computer-controlled robot, or a software think intelligently, in the similar manner the intelligent humans think.
AI is accomplished by studying how human brain thinks, and how humans learn, decide, and work while trying to solve a problem, and then using the outcomes of this study as a basis of developing intelligent software and systems.
While exploiting the power of the computer systems, the curiosity of human, lead him to wonder, Can a machine think and behave like humans do?
Thus, the development of AI started with the intention of creating similar intelligence in machines that we find and regard high in humans.
To Create Expert Systems The systems which exhibit intelligent behavior, learn, demonstrate, explain, and advice its users.
To Implement Human Intelligence in Machines Creating systems that understand, think, learn, and behave like humans.
Artificial intelligence is a science and technology based on disciplines such as Computer Science, Biology, Psychology, Linguistics, Mathematics, and Engineering. A major thrust of AI is in the development of computer functions associated with human intelligence, such as reasoning, learning, and problem solving.
Out of the following areas, one or multiple areas can contribute to build an intelligent system.
The programming without and with AI is different in following ways
In the real world, the knowledge has some unwelcomed properties
AI Technique is a manner to organize and use the knowledge efficiently in such a way that
AI techniques elevate the speed of execution of the complex program it is equipped with.
AI has been dominant in various fields such as
Gaming AI plays crucial role in strategic games such as chess, poker, tic-tac-toe, etc., where machine can think of large number of possible positions based on heuristic knowledge.
Natural Language Processing It is possible to interact with the computer that understands natural language spoken by humans.
Expert Systems There are some applications which integrate machine, software, and special information to impart reasoning and advising. They provide explanation and advice to the users.
Vision Systems These systems understand, interpret, and comprehend visual input on the computer. For example,
A spying aeroplane takes photographs, which are used to figure out spatial information or map of the areas.
Doctors use clinical expert system to diagnose the patient.
Police use computer software that can recognize the face of criminal with the stored portrait made by forensic artist.
Speech Recognition Some intelligent systems are capable of hearing and comprehending the language in terms of sentences and their meanings while a human talks to it. It can handle different accents, slang words, noise in the background, change in humans noise due to cold, etc.
Handwriting Recognition The handwriting recognition software reads the text written on paper by a pen or on screen by a stylus. It can recognize the shapes of the letters and convert it into editable text.
Intelligent Robots Robots are able to perform the tasks given by a human. They have sensors to detect physical data from the real world such as light, heat, temperature, movement, sound, bump, and pressure. They have efficient processors, multiple sensors and huge memory, to exhibit intelligence. In addition, they are capable of learning from their mistakes and they can adapt to the new environment.
Here is the history of AI during 20th century
Karel apek play named Rossum’s Universal Robots (RUR) opens in London, first use of the word “robot” in English.
Foundations for neural networks laid.
Isaac Asimov, a Columbia University alumni, coined the term Robotics.
Alan Turing introduced Turing Test for evaluation of intelligence and published Computing Machinery and Intelligence. Claude Shannon published Detailed Analysis of Chess Playing as a search.
John McCarthy coined the term Artificial Intelligence. Demonstration of the first running AI program at Carnegie Mellon University.
John McCarthy invents LISP programming language for AI.
Danny Bobrow’s dissertation at MIT showed that computers can understand natural language well enough to solve algebra word problems correctly.
Joseph Weizenbaum at MIT built ELIZA, an interactive problem that carries on a dialogue in English.
Scientists at Stanford Research Institute Developed Shakey, a robot, equipped with locomotion, perception, and problem solving.
The Assembly Robotics group at Edinburgh University built Freddy, the Famous Scottish Robot, capable of using vision to locate and assemble models.
The first computer-controlled autonomous vehicle, Stanford Cart, was built.
Harold Cohen created and demonstrated the drawing program, Aaron.
Major advances in all areas of AI
The Deep Blue Chess Program beats the then world chess champion, Garry Kasparov.
Interactive robot pets become commercially available. MIT displays Kismet, a robot with a face that expresses emotions. The robot Nomad explores remote regions of Antarctica and locates meteorites.
Originally posted here:
- Just 19 Percent of Americans Trust Self-Driving Cars With Kids - March 16th, 2019
- Elon Musk: $47,000 Model Y SUV “Will Ride Like a Sports Car” - March 16th, 2019
- Samsung Is Working on Phone With “Invisible” Camera Behind Screen - March 16th, 2019
- Special Announcement: Futurism Media and Singularity University - March 16th, 2019
- Presidential Hopeful Beto O’Rourke Belonged to Infamous Hacker Group - March 16th, 2019
- Elon Musk: 2019 Will Be “the Year of the Solar Roof” - March 16th, 2019
- This Guy Spent a Whole Week In a VR Headset - March 16th, 2019
- How Can We Build Cities to Accommodate 6.5 Billion People? - March 16th, 2019
- Here’s How Hackers Stole $15 Million From Mexican Banks - March 16th, 2019
- Slack Just Removed a Bunch of Hate Groups - March 16th, 2019
- NASA: Space Travel Is Causing Astronauts’ Herpes to Flare Up - March 16th, 2019
- New Robot Hand Works Like a Venus Flytrap to Grip Objects - March 16th, 2019
- States Are Approving Cannabis to Fight Opioid Addiction - March 16th, 2019
- This Tech Could Secure Medical Implants Against Hackers - March 16th, 2019
- The Pentagon Wants an Orbital Space Weapon to Blast Enemy Missiles - March 16th, 2019
- Computer Fraud Laws are Flawed, this Lawyer is Fighting Against Them - March 16th, 2019
- NASA Engineer: Humans Should Consider Settling Saturn’s Moon Titan - March 16th, 2019
- New Rocket Engine Could Whip You From London to Sydney in 4 Hours - March 16th, 2019
- Astronomers Just Found 83 Giant Black Holes at Universe’s Edge - March 16th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - March 15th, 2019
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - March 15th, 2019
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - March 15th, 2019
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? - Definition from ... - March 15th, 2019
- Psoriasis: Pictures, Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment - March 14th, 2019
- Psoriasis Treatment, Causes, Pictures, Symptoms, Types & Diet - March 14th, 2019
- Psoriasis - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - March 14th, 2019
- Psoriasis Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options - March 14th, 2019
- Psoriasis - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic - March 14th, 2019
- Boeing Is Prepping to Launch Astronauts to Space Station - March 9th, 2019
- China: New “Artificial Sun” Will Be Completed This Year - March 9th, 2019
- NASA Announces World’s First All-Female Spacewalk - March 9th, 2019
- Stalkers Are Pretending to be Cops to Steal Your Phone’s Location - March 9th, 2019
- SpaceX’s Crew Dragon Spacecraft Splashes Down in the Atlantic - March 9th, 2019
- New SETI Plan: Detect Alien Starships Powered by Black Holes - March 9th, 2019
- Elizabeth Warren Shares Plan to Break up Facebook, Google, Amazon - March 9th, 2019
- New Zealand Farmers Are Using Drones to Herd Sheep - March 9th, 2019
- NASA Is About to Test a Giant Solar Drone That Broadcasts 5G - March 9th, 2019
- Watch a 3D Printed Self-Driving Shuttle Smash Into a Wall - March 9th, 2019
- Mitsubishi’s New Hybrid Can Power Your Home During a Blackout - March 9th, 2019
- Robbers Tortured a Man With a Drill to Steal His Cryptocurrency - March 9th, 2019
- Psychedelic Mushrooms Can Boost Creativity and Empathy for a Week - March 9th, 2019
- Zuckerberg Said to Have “Panic Chute” for Escape From Facebook HQ - March 9th, 2019
- Police Arrest Vandal Who Trashed Tesla Supercharger - March 9th, 2019
- NASA’s Stunning Image: Supersonic Shockwaves Smashing Together - March 9th, 2019
- What Happens Once Robots Become Film Directors? - March 9th, 2019
- Seaweed Straw “Looks, Feels, and Acts Like Plastic,” Says Startup - March 9th, 2019
- Residents Are Furious About Google’s Drone Delivery Service - March 9th, 2019
- Controlling AI Weapons May Be Impossible, Warns Former US Secretary of State - March 5th, 2019
- Journalists Reported a News Story Using Machine Learning - March 5th, 2019
- Machine-Learning Models Can Help Detect Sepsis in Newborns Earlier - March 5th, 2019
- Self-Powered Sensor Helps Track Firefighters in Burning Buildings - March 5th, 2019
- Why Cellphone Carriers Are Dreaming of a World Without Wi-Fi - March 5th, 2019
- Former Content Moderators Are Suing Facebook Over PTSD and Trauma - March 5th, 2019
- Elon Musk Wants to Build a “Permanently Occupied Human Base” on the Moon - March 5th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX’s Crew Dragon Dock Autonomously With the ISS - March 5th, 2019
- Tesla Owners Are Enraged That the Company Cut Its Prices - March 5th, 2019
- Elon Musk: Tesla Will Unveil Model Y Next Week - March 5th, 2019
- China Plans to Launch a Mars Rover Next Year - March 5th, 2019
- Trump’s Campaign Team: Government Should Manage 5G Networks - March 5th, 2019
- China Opens Its First Mars Simulation Base - March 5th, 2019
- Discontinued Robot Assistant Announces Its Own Death - March 5th, 2019
- Military Contractors Are Churning out New Anti-Drone Weapons - March 5th, 2019
- Thousands of Chinese Fans Paid to See a Virtual Hologram Singer - March 5th, 2019
- Sperm Quality Is Falling. Chemicals in Your Home May Be to Blame. - March 5th, 2019
- Mercedes-Benz’ First All-Electric Racecar Is Equipped Like a Beast - March 5th, 2019
- Destroying Incoming Asteroids Might Be Harder Than We Thought - March 5th, 2019
- Ayn Rand | Biography, Books, & Facts | Britannica.com - March 3rd, 2019
- Ayn Rand - Official Site - March 3rd, 2019
- Who Is Ayn Rand? - The Objective Standard - March 3rd, 2019
- Inspirational Ayn Rand quotes On Life and Capitalism - March 3rd, 2019
- About Ayn Rand - Biography | AynRand.org - March 3rd, 2019
- Ayn Rand Institute - Official Site - March 3rd, 2019
- About - The New Jim Crow - February 21st, 2019
- A Brief History of the Drug War | Drug Policy Alliance - February 21st, 2019
- Political crime - Wikipedia - February 21st, 2019
- Environmental Crimes - UNICRI - February 21st, 2019
- The Complete Guide To Nootropics | Braintropic - February 20th, 2019
- What are "Nootropics"? - Smart Drug Smarts - February 20th, 2019
- Nootropics Expert | The Authority on Nootropic Supplements - February 20th, 2019
- Best Nootropics 2019 (Updated from 2018) Nootropics Expert - February 20th, 2019