As artificial intelligence (AI) becomes more commonplace in newsrooms, Cardiff University will be introducing the technology into its syllabus to produce 'industry-ready journalists'.
From February 2020, students on the MA International Journalism course will learn a new 'emerging journalism' module where students will use AI-powered tools to identify and report on a breaking news story, as this is becoming standard practice in local newsrooms, like Reach plc.
As well as these practical skills, the module also offers the theory of using this technology for problem-solving.
Former associate editor of Mirror.co.uk, Gavin Allen, now digital journalism lecturer, Cardiff Universitys School of Journalism, is one of the tutors the course. He stressed that aspiring journalists need to come to terms with AI, or risk being left behind by its advancements.
"There's a feeling that we need to stand back and see that this technology is proven," said Allen.
"But this technology advances so rapidly that we need to start adapting now."
"There are traditional print journalists who think 'That's not for me, I don't need to think about AI', but it is becoming widely used at publications. AI is not the future - it is happening right now."
But there is a limit to what journalists need to know. The university will bring in experts from business and computational science departments to help with the more finite solutions, such as hardcore coding.
Journalists today require a working-level proficiency in user-friendly programmes like Dataminr. When it comes to post-graduate job-seeking, this prepares them for life in a digital newsroom and provides insight into how the technology works.
AI does not stop at sifting through large datasets and mass-publishing stories. It can also be used to make repetitive tasks - like subtitling and transcription - possible in a matter of clicks and in a fraction of the time.
"If a student is able to talk about AI in a job interview which is relevant to a newsroom or organisation, it puts them ahead of a student who cant," said Allen.
"We need to be aiming to 'future proof' our students by looking at programmes already in use while teaching them critical thinking skills so they can fit those new roles rather than just filling the role of reporter."
Of course, there are significant challenges to learning and integrating this technology in a newsroom's workflow.
For one, programmes like Dataminr are costly, although the university uses the free version of Chartbeat. The big risk, however, is the temptation to become over-reliant on AI.
"Teaching students to use AI within newsrooms includes establishing the balance," Allen said.
"It may allow faster work process and thats something the industry demands, but there needs to be an understanding that algorithms can get it wrong and human oversight and interpretation are always going to be required for good journalism."
Correction: The previous version of this article said that the module was set to start in September 2020. Gavin Allen's previous job title and other details about the course have also been updated.
Gavin Allen features on a panel about using artificial intelligence to cover breaking news at Newsrewired on 27 November at Reuters, London. Head to newsrewired.com for the full agenda and tickets
If you like our news and feature articles, you can sign up to receive our free daily (Mon-Fri) email newsletter (mobile friendly).
The rest is here:
- Artificial intelligence: The rising star of education - Daily Sabah - December 3rd, 2019
- Asia-Pacific Digital Transformation Markets 2019-2024: Focus on 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Opinion | The artificial intelligence frontier of economic theory - Livemint - December 3rd, 2019
- Seminar - Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Young People - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2019
- Triple your CX impact with artificial intelligence and these five tactics - CXNetwork - December 3rd, 2019
- BioSig Technologies Announces New Collaboration on Development of Artificial Intelligence Solutions in Healthcare - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Amazon makes three major AI announcements during re:Invent 2019 - AI News - December 3rd, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence on humans - Bangkok Post - December 3rd, 2019
- What Jobs Will Artificial Intelligence Affect? - EHS Today - December 3rd, 2019
- India wants to be on the cusp of artificial intelligence but lacks the laws to back it up - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- Artificial intelligence use 'must be transparent and accountable' - The Irish News - December 3rd, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- It Pays To Break Artificial Intelligence Out Of The Lab, Study Confirms - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Dyno Therapeutics Announces Research Published in Science Enabling Artificial Intelligence Approach to Create New AAV Capsids for Gene Therapies -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence, climate change and the U.S military - The Red (Team) Analysis Society - December 3rd, 2019
- The Best Artificial Intelligence Stocks of 2019 -- and The Top AI Stock for 2020 - The Motley Fool - December 3rd, 2019
- Verata Health Named Leading Innovative Artificial Intelligence Company by the American Hospital Association - PR Web - December 3rd, 2019
- How To Get Your Rsum Past The Artificial Intelligence Gatekeepers - Forbes - November 20th, 2019
- Highlights: Addressing fairness in the context of artificial intelligence - Brookings Institution - November 20th, 2019
- Newsrooms have five years to embrace artificial intelligence or they risk becoming irrelevant - Journalism.co.uk - November 20th, 2019
- 4 Reasons to Use Artificial Intelligence in Your Next Embedded Design - DesignNews - November 20th, 2019
- Colorado at the forefront of AI and what it means for jobs of the future - The Denver Channel - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence has become a driving force in everyday life, says LivePerson CEO - CNBC - November 20th, 2019
- Two-thirds of employees would trust a robot boss more than a real one - World Economic Forum - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence engines have implicit biases - The Daily Titan - November 20th, 2019
- Microsoft Aims to Bring AI to Mainstream Collaboration with Project Cortex - Channel Futures - November 20th, 2019
- Scientists used IBM Watson to discover an ancient humanoid stick figure - Business Insider - November 20th, 2019
- Is it worth investing in artificial intelligence? - ITProPortal - November 20th, 2019
- The Future Of Artificial Intelligence In Retail - Digital Information World - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Will Enable the Future, Blockchain Will Secure It - Cointelegraph - November 20th, 2019
- Epileptic Seizure Prediction becomes much easier with the new Artificial Intelligence technology - Digital Information World - November 20th, 2019
- Public fears about artificial intelligence are 'not the fault of A.I.' itself, tech exec says - CNBC - November 20th, 2019
- Three Legal Areas to Think About When Using Artificial Intelligence in the Workplace - JD Supra - November 20th, 2019
- Intel to Expand Role in High-Performance Computing and Artificial Intelligence - Financialbuzz.com - November 20th, 2019
- 13 Mind-Blowing Things Artificial Intelligence Can Already Do Today - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Is Cloud AI a Fad? The Shortcomings of Cloud Artificial Intelligence - CTOvision - November 13th, 2019
- AI Can Tell If You're Going to Die Soon. We Just Don't Know How It Knows. - Popular Mechanics - November 13th, 2019
- How can artificial intelligence improve the superyacht industry? - Superyacht News - The Superyacht Report - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Too Important to Leave to Google and Facebook Alone - The New York Times - November 13th, 2019
- The Army Is Bringing Artificial Intelligence To Its Armored Vehicles - The National Interest Online - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence to run the chemical factories of the future | Illinois - University of Illinois News Bureau - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence to pave way for new professions - Daily Sabah - November 13th, 2019
- AI and automation will disrupt our world but only Andrew Yang is warning about it | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence (AI): what you need to know about the megatrend - Finance Market News - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence sales platform, Enerjoy, Launches its series A fundraising round at an event held in SAP Next Gen HQ in NYC - PRNewswire - November 13th, 2019
- AI deemed 'too dangerous to release' makes it out into the world - The Independent - November 13th, 2019
- The ethical, social and Jewish implications of Artificial Intelligence - Jewish News - November 13th, 2019
- Vision Artificial Intelligence Can Help Minimize Angst, For Companies And Customers, In The Relocation/Moving Industry - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence And Ethics: The Need For EQ Along With IQ - Express Computer - November 13th, 2019
- JP Morgan Invests Undisclosed Amount in Limeglass, an Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Research Analysis Firm - Crowdfund Insider - November 13th, 2019
- These artificial intelligence bartenders are the future of festive parties - Prestige Online - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Being Used To Diagnose Disease And Design New Drugs - Forbes - October 1st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence is driving the UK's NextGen jobs - Study International News - October 1st, 2019
- Fearing a future of artificial intelligence haves and have-nots - The Seattle Times - October 1st, 2019
- Zen and the art of artificial intelligence - The Drum - October 1st, 2019
- Patenting Considerations for Artificial Intelligence in Biotech and Synthetic Biology - JD Supra - October 1st, 2019
- New Survey Reveals that HR Leaders Are Prioritizing Artificial Intelligence to Improve the Employee Experience - PRNewswire - October 1st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence is driving the next generation of jobs in the UK - Information Age - October 1st, 2019
- Pope Francis on artificial intelligence: Does it really risk barbarism? - Verdict - October 1st, 2019
- New Artificial Intelligence Tool Will Show Nonprofits What's Working and What's Not - PRNewswire - October 1st, 2019
- On-Demand Concierge & Life-Saving Artificial Intelligence Now Available to 5.3M California Medicare Recipients Through Alignment Health Plan -... - October 1st, 2019
- Spending on Artificial Intelligence systems in the Middle East & Africa to top $374 million in 2020 - TelecomTV - October 1st, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing The Landscape Of Digital Marketing - Inc42 Media - October 1st, 2019
- Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Reconstruct Ancient Games - Atlas Obscura - October 1st, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 29th, 2019