Each time any of us uses a tool, such as Gmail, where theres a powerful agent to help correct our spellings, and suggest sentence endings, theres an AI machine in the background, steadily getting better and better at understanding language. Sentence structures are parsed, word choices understood, idioms recognised.
That exact capability could, in 2020, grant the ability to speak with other large animals. Really. Maybe even faster than brain-computer interfaces will take the stage.
Our AI-enhanced abilities to decode languages have reached a point where they could start to parse languages not spoken by anyone alive. Recently, researchers from MIT and Google applied these abilities to ancient scripts Linear B and Ugaritic (a precursor of Hebrew) with reasonable success (no luck so far with the older, and as-yet undeciphered Linear A).
First, word-to-word relations for a specific language are mapped, using vast databases of text. The system searches texts to see how often each word appears next to every other word. This pattern of appearances is a unique signature that defines the word in a multidimensional parameter space. Researchers estimate that languages all languages can be best described as having 600 independent dimensions of relationships, where each word-word relationship can be seen as a vector in this space. This vector acts as a powerful constraint on how the word can appear in any translation the machine comes up with.
These vectors obey some simple rules. For example: king man + woman = queen. Any sentence can be described as a set of vectors that in turn form a trajectory through the word space.
These relationships persist even when a language has multiple words for related concepts: the famed near-100 words Inuits have for snow will all be in similar dimensional spaces each time someone talks about snow, it will always be in a similar linguistic context.
Take a leap. Imagine that whale songs are communicating in a word-like structure. Then, what if the relationships that whales have for their ideas have dimensional relationships similar to those we see in human languages?
That means we should be able to map key elements of whale songs to dimensional spaces, and thus to comprehend what whales are talking about and perhaps to talk to and hear back from them. Remember: some whales have brain volumes three times larger than adult humans, larger cortical areas, and lower but comparable neuron counts. African elephants have three times as many neurons as humans, but in very different distributions than are seen in our own brains. It seems reasonable to assume that the other large mammals on earth, at the very least, have thinking and communicating and learning attributes we can connect with.
What are the key elements of whale songs and of elephant sounds? Phonemes? Blocks of repeated sounds? Tones? Nobody knows, yet, but at least the journey has begun. Projects such as the Earth Species Project aim to put the tools of our time particularly artificial intelligence, and all that we have learned in using computers to understand our own languages to the awesome task of hearing what animals have to say to each other, and to us.
There is something deeply comforting to think that AI language tools could do something so beautiful, going beyond completing our emails and putting ads in front of us, to knitting together all thinking species. That, we perhaps can all agree, is a better and perhaps nearer-term ideal to reach than brain-computer communications. The beauty of communicating with them will then be joined to the market ideal of talking to our pet dogs. (Cats may remain beyond reach.)
Mary Lou Jepsen is the founder and CEO of Openwater. John Ryan, her husband, is a former partner at Monitor Group
The illegal trade of Siberian mammoth tusks revealed
I ditched Google for DuckDuckGo. Here's why you should too
How to use psychology to get people to answer your emails
The WIRED Recommends guide to the best Black Friday deals
Get The Email from WIRED, your no-nonsense briefing on all the biggest stories in technology, business and science. In your inbox every weekday at 12pm sharp.
Thank You. You have successfully subscribed to our newsletter. You will hear from us shortly.
Sorry, you have entered an invalid email. Please refresh and try again.
Here is the original post:
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - March 28th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - March 28th, 2020
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - March 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence What it is and why it matters | SAS - March 28th, 2020
- Return On Artificial Intelligence: The Challenge And The Opportunity - Forbes - March 28th, 2020
- Google and the Oxford Internet Institute explain artificial intelligence basics with the A-Z of AI - VentureBeat - March 28th, 2020
- VA Looking to Expand Usage of Artificial Intelligence Data - GovernmentCIO Media - March 28th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market - Premium Insight, Competitive News Feed Analysis, Company Usability Profiles, Market Sizing &... - March 28th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Aviation Market is expected to grow from USD 214.36 Million in 2018 to USD 1,824.46 Million by the end of 2025... - March 28th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to disease prevention? - The Burn-In - March 28th, 2020
- Why transparency is key to promoting trust in artificial intelligence - IT PRO - March 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Spain to use artificial intelligence to automate testing - ComputerWeekly.com - March 28th, 2020
- Bridging the gaps: joining human and artificial intelligence | Technology - Business Chief Canada - March 28th, 2020
- To fight the coronavirus spread, give artificial intelligence a chance - Livemint - March 28th, 2020
- DIAGNOS Will Utilize its Artificial Intelligence Medical Platform FLAIRE in Response to the US White House - Call to Action to Analyse and Transform... - March 26th, 2020
- LiveMD Global Telehealth Platform launches artificial intelligence tracking and triaging tools to help combat COVID-19 (CoronaVirus) Pandemic -... - March 26th, 2020
- New Research from Newark Reveals Strong Adoption of Artificial Intelligence within the Internet of Things Ecosystem - Embedded Computing Design - March 26th, 2020
- AI vs COVID-19: Here are the AI tools and services fighting coronavirus - AI News - March 26th, 2020
- Stanford virtual conference to focus on COVID19 and artificial intelligence | Stanford News - Stanford University News - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the energy sector: opportunities and challenges - WhaTech - March 26th, 2020
- 31 Companies, Products and People making Artificial Intelligence a Reality in 2020 - PR Web - March 26th, 2020
- KT zu Guttenberg, Artificial Intelligence and You - theTrumpet.com - March 26th, 2020
- The global AI agenda: Promise, reality, and a future of data sharing - MIT Technology Review - March 26th, 2020
- BrainChip and Socionext Provide a New Low-Power Artificial Intelligence Platform for AI Edge Applications - Design and Reuse - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Chipsets Market report reviews overview with demographic data and industry growth trends by 2025 - WhaTech Technology and... - March 26th, 2020
- Richmond-based Blue Heron Capital invests in company that uses artificial intelligence to improve lung disease monitoring - Richmond.com - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Becoming the Future of Investment Platforms - EnterpriseTalk - March 19th, 2020
- Is Your Company Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The Forbes 2020 AI 50 List Are Now Open - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- On the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Genomics to Enhance Precisio | PGPM - Dove Medical Press - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence myths: Reality check - Livemint - March 19th, 2020
- Battery Researchers Look to Artificial Intelligence to Slash Recharging Times - Greentech Media News - March 19th, 2020
- The Army Will Soon Be Able to Command Robot Tanks With Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - March 19th, 2020
- Canon Medical's 3T MR System Receives FDA Clearance for Artificial Intelligence-Based Image Reconstruction Technology - BioSpace - March 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How Artificial Intelligence, Data Science And Technology Is Used To Fight The Pandemic - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence: The new power dynamic of today - Daily Sabah - March 19th, 2020
- Rethinking Financial Services with Artificial Intelligence Tools - The Financial Brand - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence recruited to find clues about Covid-19 - The Star Online - March 19th, 2020
- IIT-M to reskill women in artificial intelligence - Campus Varta - March 19th, 2020
- San Diego-Based Company takes Digital Marketing to the next Level by Launching the First Artificial Intelligence Marketing Agency in the United States... - March 19th, 2020
- An Unexpected Ally in the War With Bacteria - The Atlantic - March 19th, 2020
- Compliance For A Digital World: BSA/AML The New ABC's: Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain And How Each Complements The Other - JD Supra - March 19th, 2020
- The next step in digital transformation: is Artificial Intelligence production-ready for green sand foundries? - Foundry-Planet.com - March 19th, 2020
- Insights into the North America Artificial Intelligence in Fashion Market to 2027 - Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Trends -... - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence by CWI and Amsterdam UMC proposes the best radiation treatment plans in clinical practice for the first time - Centrum... - March 19th, 2020
- H2O.ai Named to the 2020 CB Insights AI 100 List of Most Innovative Artificial Intelligence Startups - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- 'There's No Story That Stays Stable for Too Long.' How Artists Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Confront Modern Anxieties - TIME - March 4th, 2020
- Minister declares creation of artificial intelligence centres in Poland - The First News - March 4th, 2020
- Dont forget to consider GDPR when using artificial intelligence in the workplace - ComputerWeekly.com - March 4th, 2020
- Iktos and SRI International Announce Collaboration to Combine Artificial Intelligence and Novel Automated Discovery Platform for Accelerated... - March 4th, 2020
- Why we need to adapt existing EU laws to Artificial Intelligence - European Public Health Alliance - March 4th, 2020
- How a Portland nonprofit is using artificial intelligence to help save whales, giraffes, zebras - Seattle Times - March 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Infused with Big Data Creating a Tech-driven World - EnterpriseTalk - March 4th, 2020
- Gaming with Artificial Intelligence Technology in 2020 - ReadWrite - March 4th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud Based Solutions to Boost Market Growth | Technavio -... - March 4th, 2020
- WorldMarkets Continues With the Success of Its Trading Artificial Intelligence - Live Bitcoin News - March 4th, 2020
- Why Artificial Intelligence Will Never Beat the Stock Market - Traders Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Why Neuro-Symbolic Artificial Intelligence Is The AI Of The Future - Digital Trends - January 5th, 2020
- Welcome to the roaring 2020s, the artificial intelligence decade - GreenBiz - January 5th, 2020
- Top five projections in Artificial Intelligence for 2020 - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- A reality check on artificial intelligence: Can it match the hype? - PhillyVoice.com - January 5th, 2020
- Can medical artificial intelligence live up to the hype? - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- Illinois regulates artificial intelligence like HireVues used to analyze online job Interviews - Vox.com - January 5th, 2020
- How This Cofounder Created An Artificial Intelligence Styling Company To Help Consumers Shop - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Takes on Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - January 5th, 2020
- Baidu looks to work with Indian institutions on AI - BusinessLine - January 5th, 2020
- Top Movies Of 2019 That Depicted Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Analytics India Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Shocking ways AI technology will revolutionise every day industries in YOUR lifetime - Express.co.uk - January 5th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence takes scam to a whole new level - The Jackson Sun - January 5th, 2020
- Global Industrial Artificial Intelligence Market 2019 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2024 - Food &... - January 5th, 2020
- IIT Hyderabad to collaborate with Telangana government on artificial intelligence - India Today - January 5th, 2020
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - January 5th, 2020
- Revisiting the rise of A.I.: How far has artificial intelligence come since 2010? - Digital Trends - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies Previously Unknown Features Associated with Cancer Recurrence - Imaging Technology News - December 30th, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Rushing Into Patient Care - And Could Raise Risks - Scientific American - December 30th, 2019
- Quantum leap: Why we first need to focus on the ethical challenges of artificial intelligence - Economic Times - December 30th, 2019
- In 2020, lets stop AI ethics-washing and actually do something - MIT Technology Review - December 30th, 2019
- The Power Of Purpose: How We Counter Hate Used Artificial Intelligence To Battle Hate Speech Online - Forbes - December 30th, 2019
- The skills needed to land the hottest tech job of 2020 - Business Insider Nordic - December 30th, 2019
- In the 2020s, human-level A.I. will arrive, and finally ace the Turing test - Inverse - December 30th, 2019