Medical technology concept. Medical instruments.
The healthcare industry has always been a leader in innovation. The constant mutating of diseases and viruses makes it difficult to stay ahead of the curve, but with the help of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms, it continues to advance, creating new treatments and helping people live longer and healthier lives.
A study published this week by The Lancet Digital Health compared the performance of deep learninga form of artificial intelligence (AI)in detecting diseases from medical imaging versus that of healthcare professionals, using a sample of studies carried out between 2012 and 2019.
The study found that, in the past few years, AI has become more accurate of identifying disease diagnosis in these images and has become a more viable source of diagnostic information. According to the researchers, out of 14 studies that compared deep learning models and healthcare professionals within the same sample, the diagnostic performances were found to be equivalent.
With advances in AI, deep learning may become even more efficient in identifying diagnosis in the next few years.
AI applications in the field of healthcare arent just limited to diagnosing a disease, they also include its possible treatment.
Pharmaceutical company Bayer has recently been working with tech companies to create software to help diagnose complex and rare conditions and help develop new drugs to treat these diseases. They have been working in partnership with hospitals and researchers to determine what the machine learning needs to analyze to learn how to diagnose a patients medical condition. The information that the AI is absorbing comes from a number of factors from symptom data, disease causes, test results, medical images, doctor reports and more.
We can model how it will behave in a cell in combination with other drugs the patients might be taking. Were looking at how we can identify the right patients and sites to run our clinical trials. We would be able to run shorter studies and show where the medication is the right one for those patients earlier, Angeli Moeller, who heads artificial intelligence projects at Bayer, explained to the Associated Press.
The machine learning systems are not to replace doctors or make absolute decisions in a patients treatment. According to Moeller, they still want the patient to have control over their treatments and want to use the artificial intelligence to support decisions and make recommendations based on the findings.
Bayer is not the only company making waves in healthcare with AI. There are many other startup companies that are tackling AI treatment options for disease. According to BenchScislatest report ,there are currently 148 startups using artificial intelligence in drug discovery.
One of those startups, Atomwise, just partnered with Jiangsu Hansoh Pharmaceutical Group in a $1.5 billion dollar joint-venture operation to collaborate on designing new drugs for cancer treatments.
The partnership combines Atomwises artificial intelligence technology with Hansoh Pharmas manufacturing capabilities in order to work together to design new ways to predict how a small molecule will bind to a target protein and hopefully lead to new advancements in medical treatments. These joint-ventures are promising as it combines two essential elements for advancements in both machine learning and medical device innovation.
A Canadian biotech company, Deep Genomics, has been experimenting with machine learning and drug development for the past 5 years. Specifically they have been testing different treatments for a rare genetic disorder named Wilson Disease that currently has no treatments on the market. The disease prevents the body from removing copper that eventually builds up in the organs and can cause life-threatening organ damage and sometimes failure.
Deep Genomics artificial intelligence system discovered that the mutation changes an amino acid in ATP7B, a copper-binding protein that is absent in Wilson patients, and causes a disruption in the genome that causes that protein not to be produced. They are currently testing their drug on their first candidate in the study and hopeful this will be successful in treating the disease.
As of today, there are not any drug treatments on the market that were created by AI, but many companies are working hard to see that happen soon. The collection of patient data and testing will continue to drive advancements forward, and while these are great strides in the advancements of artificial intelligence working with medical professionals to save lives, it is far from being mainstream.
Its probably going to take two years before it really hits mainstream medical practice. Getting the technology to the patient is still the hard part, Moeller to the AP.
- 3 Daunting Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Transform The World Of Work - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- What Is The Artificial Intelligence Revolution And Why Does It Matter To Your Business? - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- AI can speed up the search for new treatments here's how - World Economic Forum - August 10th, 2020
- Evil AI: These are the 20 most dangerous crimes that artificial intelligence will create - ZDNet - August 10th, 2020
- Is Artificial intelligence the Future of IT Help Desk? - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Experts Are Divided Over Future Of Artificial Intelligence But Agree On Its Growing Impact - Outlook India - August 10th, 2020
- Tackling the problem of bias in AI software - Federal News Network - August 10th, 2020
- AI Is a New Weapon in the Battle Against Counterfeits - The Wall Street Journal - August 10th, 2020
- "Artificial Intelligence Will Make Medicine Better in the Long Run" - Biophotonics.World - August 10th, 2020
- Best Competency With Artificial Intelligence is by Having Intelligent Experience - ReadWrite - August 10th, 2020
- How machine learning and artificial intelligence can drive clinical innovation - PharmaLive - August 10th, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Investments in July 2020 - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Job interviews: Recruiters are using artificial intelligence to analyse what you say to find the right hire - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- The next frontier of human-robot relationships is building trust - Scroll.in - August 8th, 2020
- Game-Changing Artificial Intelligence Solution by PhotoShelter to Revolutionize Social Media Workflow as Premier Lacrosse League Returns to the Field... - August 8th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Helping to Fight against Coronavirus in India? - Analytics Insight - August 8th, 2020
- BLOG: How to capitalise on the Artificial Intelligence theme - Your Money - Your Money - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Its Partners - Modern Diplomacy - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence isnt destroying jobs, its making them more inclusive - The Globe and Mail - August 8th, 2020
- RadNet and Hologic Announce Collaboration to Advance the Development of Artificial Intelligence Tools in Breast Health - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 48% Through 2020-2024|Growing Adoption of... - August 7th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Business: The New Normal in Testing Times - Analytics Insight - August 7th, 2020
- VIEW: Digitisation in pathology and the promise of artificial intelligence - CNBCTV18 - August 7th, 2020
- What It Means to Be Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence - Medium - August 7th, 2020
- Not so Artificial Intelligence When is AI really AI? - EFTM - August 3rd, 2020
- IMD to explore artificial intelligence to improve forecasting, predict extreme weather events - Firstpost - August 3rd, 2020
- Examples of Failure in Artificial Intelligence - ReadWrite - August 3rd, 2020
- IMD plans to use artificial intelligence in weather forecasting - The Financial Express - August 3rd, 2020
- MLOps: What You Need To Know - Forbes - August 3rd, 2020
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Artificial Intelligence job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 215559 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 3rd, 2020
- How do CEO's Succeed with Artificial Intelligence at their Workplace? - Analytics Insight - August 3rd, 2020
- The future of Artificial Intelligence and what it means to the Enterprise? - Analytics Insight - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence helps lead decisions over Intelligent automation and - 401kTV - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and civil liability. Who pays the damages? - Lexology - August 3rd, 2020
- The AI-boost: Using more artificial intelligence will boost GDP growth - The Financial Express - August 3rd, 2020
- $19.9B Artificial Intelligence in Retail Industry, 2027 - Rising Focus on Blockchain and Adoption of 5G Technology - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence What it is and why it matters | SAS - July 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Loses Some Of Its Edginess, But Is Poised To Take Off - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is transforming the world in the current pandemic situation? - Geospatial World - July 31st, 2020
- The NBA will use artificial intelligence and a tap-to-cheer app feature to help fans stuck at home get in the game - CNN - July 31st, 2020
- Different Scopes Of Artificial Intelligence To Dive In With! - Inventiva - July 31st, 2020
- Gatling Exploration to use artificial intelligence to identify possible gold targets at the Larder project in Ontario - Proactive Investors USA &... - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk Thinks that Artificial Intelligence Will Be 'Vastly Smarter' Than Humans in 5 Years - News18 - July 31st, 2020
- Church body recommends restrictions on Artificial Intelligence - The Tablet - July 31st, 2020
- How the Coronavirus Pandemic Is Breaking Artificial Intelligence and How to Fix It - Gizmodo - July 31st, 2020
- Using artificial intelligence to smell the roses - UC Riverside - July 30th, 2020
- Shield AI Recognized As One of the Most Promising Artificial Intelligence Companies - PR Web - July 30th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence needs an update on ethics to be able to help humanity in times of crisis - Economic Times - July 30th, 2020
- Reshaping Artificial Intelligence with the Help of Affordances - Analytics Insight - July 29th, 2020
- WISeKey to Showcase its Cybersecurity Solutions for Artificial Intelligence Used in Drones and Robots at SIDO 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- GPT-3: The Next Revolution in Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 28th, 2020
- FLY AI: the role of artificial intelligence in aviation - Airport Technology - July 28th, 2020
- Four university experts use Artificial Intelligence to discover that children don't like going to school on Mondays in Milton Keynes - Milton Keynes... - July 28th, 2020
- UF Announces $70 Million Artificial Intelligence Partnership with NVIDIA - University of Florida - July 28th, 2020
- People are using artificial intelligence to help sort out their divorce. Would you? - The Conversation AU - July 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Hope 2020 Needs - Bloomberg - July 28th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 28th, 2020
- I Am a Model and I Know That Artificial Intelligence Will Eventually Take My Job - Vogue.com - July 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Manufacturing Market Worth $16.7 Billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Accounting Market is expected to grow from USD 884.99 Million in 2019 to USD 4,779.11 Million by the end of 2025... - July 28th, 2020
- Imint is the Swedish firm that gives Chinese smartphones an edge in video production - TechCrunch - July 26th, 2020
- UF students, get used to this topic: artificial intelligence - Tampa Bay Times - July 26th, 2020
- Odisha to use artificial intelligence in organisation audit in big way - The New Indian Express - July 26th, 2020
- Covid could have been AIs moment in sun. But it isnt as flexible as humans yet - ThePrint - July 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is the hope 2020 needs | Commentary | Seattle Times - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - July 26th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 26th, 2020
- Exploring the edge cases of artificial intelligence in 2020 - TechHQ - July 26th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is being used for divorce and separations with apps like Amica, Adieu and Penda - Newcastle Herald - July 26th, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Artificial Intelligence Has Promise of Streamlining Hospital Processes, Diagnostic Tools - MedTech Intelligence - July 26th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence for Automotive Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Outlook with Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Express... - July 26th, 2020
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Analysis by Emerging Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth, Current Statistics, Brand Endorsements and... - July 26th, 2020
- Opinion: Artificial intelligence is the hope 2020 needs - Crain's Cleveland Business - July 26th, 2020
- AI in the Field of Transportation - a Review - AI Daily - July 26th, 2020
- Loop Insights and ImagineAR Sign MOU To Integrate Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Reality, Creating Real-Time Actionable Data For Brands To... - July 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Be Used In Public Transport- Will People Be Able To Commute Safely After Covid-19? - Inventiva - July 26th, 2020
- [Webinar] ACEDS Detroit Chapter: Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence and Issues of Bias - August 4th, 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm ET - JD Supra - July 26th, 2020
- Connecting the Digital and the Real World With Artificial Intelligence - Devdiscourse - July 26th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence Software System Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | KEY PLAYERS MARKET WITH... - July 26th, 2020
- Nagarro launches machine vision-based artificial intelligence solutions that mitigate COVID-19 risks and enhance workplace safety - PRNewswire - July 25th, 2020
- Why Its Time to Start Using Artificial Intelligence in Your Greenhouse - Greenhouse Grower - July 25th, 2020