Copenhagen: Using patient data, artificial intelligence can make a 90 per cent accurate assessment of whether a person will die from COVID-19 or not, according to new research at the University of Copenhagen.
Body mass index (BMI), gender, and high blood pressure are among the most heavily weighted factors. The research can be used to predict the number of patients in hospitals, who will need a respirator and determine who ought to be first in line for a vaccination. The results of the study were published in the journal Scientific Reports -- Nature.
Artificial intelligence is able to predict who is most likely to die from the coronavirus. In doing so, it can also help decide who should be at the front of the line for the precious vaccines now being administered across Denmark.
The result is from a newly published study by researchers at the University of Copenhagen's Department of Computer Science. Since the COVID pandemic's first wave, researchers have been working to develop computer models that can predict, based on disease history and health data, how badly people will be affected by COVID-19.
Based on patient data from the Capital Region of Denmark and Region Zealand, the results of the study demonstrate that artificial intelligence can, with up to 90 percent certainty, determine whether an uninfected person who is not yet infected will die of COVID-19 or not if they are unfortunate enough to become infected. Once admitted to the hospital with COVID-19, the computer can predict with 80 percent accuracy whether the person will need a respirator.
"We began working on the models to assist hospitals, as, during the first wave, they feared that they did not have enough respirators for intensive care patients. Our new findings could also be used to carefully identify who needs a vaccine," explains Professor Mads Nielsen of the University of Copenhagen's Department of Computer Science.
Older men with high blood pressure are highest at risk The researchers fed a computer program with health data from 3,944 Danish COVID-19 patients. This trained the computer to recognise patterns and correlations in both patients' prior illnesses and in their bouts against COVID-19.
"Our results demonstrate, unsurprisingly, that age and BMI are the most decisive parameters for how severely a person will be affected by COVID-19. But the likelihood of dying or ending up on a respirator is also heightened if you are male, have high blood pressure or neurological disease," explains Mads Nielsen.
The diseases and health factors that, according to the study, have the most influence on whether a patient ends up on a respirator after being infected with COVID-19 are in order of priority: BMI, age, high blood pressure, being male, neurological diseases, COPD, asthma, diabetes and heart disease.
"For those affected by one or more of these parameters, we have found that it may make sense to move them up in the vaccine queue, to avoid any risk of them becoming infected and eventually ending up on a respirator," says Nielsen.
Predicting respiratory needs is a must. Researchers are currently working with the Capital Region of Denmark to take advantage of this fresh batch of results in practice. They hope that artificial intelligence will soon be able to help the country's hospitals by continuously predicting the need for respirators.
"We are working towards a goal that we should be able to predict the need for respirators five days ahead by giving the computer access to health data on all COVID positives in the region," says Mads Nielsen, adding: "The computer will never be able to replace a doctor's assessment, but it can help doctors and hospitals see many COVID-19 infected patients at once and set ongoing priorities."
However, technical work is still pending to make health data from the region available for the computer and thereafter to calculate the risk to the infected patients. The research was carried out in collaboration with Rigshospitalet and Bispebjerg and Frederiksberg Hospital.
- Experimenting thoughtfully with artificial intelligence - Reuters - June 15th, 2021
- VisionQuest Uses Artificial Intelligence to Screen 40000 Patients for Diabetic Retinopathy - Business Wire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence for Rapid Exclusion of COVID-19 Infection - SciTechDaily - June 15th, 2021
- Researchers ask industry for military technologies in artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned aircraft - Military & Aerospace Electronics - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Uses of Artificial Intelligence to Improve Customer Experience Measurement - Small Business Trends - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the McData-fueled future of capitalism - The Next Web - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Types of Artificial Intelligence that will Shape 2021 and Beyond - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence will Transform Businesses in 2021? - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Research of Quantum Mechanics - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Global Wearable Medical Devices Markets Report 2021: Integrating Artificial Intelligence in the Wearable Medical Devices is Gaining Traction -... - June 15th, 2021
- Your Future May Lie With an Artificial Intelligence Certificate - The Future of Things - June 15th, 2021
- White House partners with NSF to stand up National AI Research Resource Task Force - Federal News Network - June 15th, 2021
- RGS welcomes Artificial Intelligence Innovator to training event - Attain News - June 15th, 2021
- An artificial-intelligence powered ETF has smashed the S&P 500 in the last month without any meme stocks - Markets Insider - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing the Future of Air Transportation - GW Today - June 15th, 2021
- Can We Learn Sperm Whale Language? Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Find Out - TheInertia.com - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Pharmaceutical market worth US$27156.1 Million in 2031. Visiongain Research Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- DoDs AI center striving to be connective tissue across all projects - Federal News Network - February 17th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence is Improving the Online Sports Betting Experience - MWWire - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Calastone implements Opsmatix Artificial Intelligence solution Improving client handling and efficiency within client operations - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - by Component, Technology, Process, Application, Vehicle Type, Demand Category,... - February 17th, 2021
- Liverpool scientists deploy Artificial Intelligence to develop model that predicts the next pandemic - Times Now - February 17th, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence May Not Offer The Business Value You Think - CMSWire - February 17th, 2021
- Needed: People To Put The Intelligence In Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence helps automation, but can't tell you where to put your money, Indexa CEO says - Business Insider - February 17th, 2021
- Excerpt: 'Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Power' by Rajiv Malhotra - Times of India - February 17th, 2021
- BYU lab works to improve artificial intelligence communication - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to monitor patients with chronic diseases and COVID-19 - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 17th, 2021
- Elon Musk Talks Auto Safety and Regulation of Artificial Intelligence with Joe Rogan - Corporate Crime Reporter - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2020-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - February 17th, 2021
- AI Definition & Meaning | What is Artificial Intelligence? - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Development Goals - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Beyond the Unknown: Applications of Artificial intelligence In Space - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Two UWF teams place in top 5 in national artificial intelligence competition - University of West Florida Newsroom - UWF Newsroom - February 7th, 2021
- Bingo and AI: The changing relation between entertainment and artificial intelligence - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Off The Menu: Artificial intelligence lends hand in recipe development - MassLive.com - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence must not be allowed to replace the imperfection of human empathy - The Conversation UK - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the Gamestonk blowback - The Next Web - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Policing Is the Focus of Encode Justice - Teen Vogue - February 6th, 2021
- 'Artificial Intelligence' Integrated PET-CT launched at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad on the occasion of World Cancer Day 2021 - PR Newswire India - February 6th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Will Change The Way We Work Once We Get Back To The Office - Forbes - February 6th, 2021
- Chemistry and computer science join forces to apply artificial intelligence to chemical reactions - Princeton University - February 6th, 2021
- How to Build a Modern Workplace with Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- Morality Poses the Biggest Risk to Military Integration of Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - February 6th, 2021
- Canon Medical expands reach of its MRI artificial intelligence programs - FierceBiotech - February 6th, 2021
- Harnessing the Power of Artificial Intelligence with High-Performance Computing: Dell Technologies - CRN - India - CRN.in - February 6th, 2021
- AI-Powered Cooperation Will Transform US Military Operations Homeland Security Today - HSToday - February 6th, 2021
- Skinopathy Files Provisional Patent for Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Reality Powered Technology that will Guide Skin Cancer Surgeries - Yahoo... - February 6th, 2021
- How Artificial intelligence is Transforming the Apparel Industry - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- How Airbus And Boeing Are Using Artificial Intelligence To Advance Autonomous Flight - Simple Flying - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Market to Witness Huge Growth by Top Key Players | Welltok, Inc., Intel Corporation, Nvidia Corporation And More KSU |... - February 6th, 2021
- A crewless boat is recreating the Mayflower's 400-year-old journey, with the help of artificial intelligence - CBS News - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Is It All Just Costly Hype? - Dice Insights - December 26th, 2020
- 7 Types of Artificial Intelligence: Propelling the Technology Development - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence will go mainstream in 2021 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 26th, 2020
- Top 7 Amazing Artificial Intelligence Applications that Are Unfamiliar - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- NASCAR Team up with the World Poker Tour while Artificial Intelligence Breaks New Barriers - HighstakesDB - December 26th, 2020
- Youve heard of Elf on the Shelf; in New Haven theres elf with artificial intelligence - New Haven Register - December 26th, 2020
- How is Artificial Intelligence Transforming the lives of People with Disabilities? - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- How Bad Is Your Spotify? There's Artificial Intelligence to Judge Your Taste - Distractify - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence measure included in must-pass government funding deal - Homeland Preparedness News - December 26th, 2020
- PetrSU joined the fight for leadership in the field of artificial intelligence applications in Russia and in the world - India Education Diary - December 26th, 2020
- Why not enlist the help of artificial intelligence to nudge people to mask up? - Houston Chronicle - December 22nd, 2020
- Congress wants an inventory of all AI projects at the Pentagon - C4ISRNet - December 22nd, 2020
- The influence of artificial intelligence on the banking industry - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - December 22nd, 2020
- Application of artificial intelligence in the field of treatment and medicine - Tehran Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The 2021 AI 50 List Are Open - Forbes - December 22nd, 2020
- Delivering Proactive Mental Healthcare With Artificial Intelligence - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is intertwined in precision agriculture - AGDAILY - December 22nd, 2020
- Spin Announces Cutting Edge On-Vehicle Artificial Intelligence (AI) Platform To Bring Sidewalk Riding and Parking Detection Technology to Cities... - December 22nd, 2020
- UC convenes Artificial Intelligence Working Group to harness innovative technology, establish guardrails for equitable and ethical use - University of... - December 22nd, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Research Report by Technology, by Process, by Offerings, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence, Contactless Solutions Set to Provide Safety Protocols to Enable Reopening of Live Events in 2021 - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Employing artificial intelligence to spot infrastructure issues - Construction Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- CPPI and HSDF Release Report from Virtual Symposium: Artificial Intelligence: Transforming the Government Mission - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020