Ba da ba ba bah, McDonalds is capturing and storing biometric data on its customers without their knowledge or consent.
Per a report from The Register, McDonalds may be facing a class action lawsuit after an Illinois customer sued the mega-corporation for allegedly violating the states Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA):
(The plaintiff) sued McDonalds on behalf of himself and all other affected residents of Illinois. He claimed the fast-chow biz has broken BIPA by not obtaining written consent from its customers to collect and process their voice data.
Illinois has some of the stiffest biometric privacy laws in the US.
The lawsuit apparently stems from the companys use of automated drive-thru order takers in the form of chatbots.
Drive-thru customers were subjected to experimental natural language processing (NLP) AI in the state, in at least 10 of the companys locations. While its unclear exactly what AI systems McDonalds was using during the trial, it stands to reason the company would need to collect and store user data in order to train its AI.
Its hard to spot precedence in the wild, but theres no denying the world sits on the rocky precipice of embracing autonomy. This very well could be the legal catalyst that kicks off the big business V big government debate over how were going to go about transitioning to the next technology paradigm for capitalism.
From a purely business-oriented POV, McDonalds might not be in as bad a position as it appears. Whats an eight-figure lawsuit to company worth nearly $200 billion?
McDonalds has been dabbling in AI systems for years now, and theres an argument to be made that its poised to lead the charge when it comes to autonomous systems.
Autonomous robotics technology is nothing new. Today it powers automotive factories and the garment manufacturing industry.
And that makes it easy for us to imagine other industries, such as fast food, adopting a similar approach. Weve certainly heard a lot about burger-flipping robotsand the end of entry-level jobs for the past decade.
The majority of discourse on automation focuses on the one-for-one human costs of replacement. We often envision the debate being about whether the efficiency and corporate labor cost reductions are worth the potential mass displacement of human workers.
But what if we stop thinking about McDonalds like a greasy spoon and start thinking of it like Facebook, Google, or Microsoft.
The mainstream my recognize those as a social network, search giant, and OS developer respectively, but the truth of the matter is each one is an AI-first company. And with each passing year, AI endeavors make up a greater portion of their profits and net worth.
[Read: Global AI market predicted to reach nearly $1 trillion by 2028]
If McDonalds were to convert its global market position as a restaurateur into a horizontal entry into the technology sector interesting things could happen.
Strip away the what and how of where McDonalds exists as a global corporation and you can compare it to other big tech businesses. The most apt comparison might be Facebook.
McDonalds serves approximately one percent of the global population on a daily basis. Facebook, by contrast, reaches approximately 25% of the population. The biggest difference between the two, arguably, is that consumers typically have to pay to use the formers services while Facebook monetizes its customers.
Lets imagine a new McDonalds where the food no longer costs money. Like Facebook, all youd have to do is sign up and create a profile. Then, you could either go to a McDonalds location to pick up food or request a delivery.
Every few orders, however, you may be asked to do something simple such as filling out a series of questionnaires similar to those Im not a robot CAPTCHAs where you click on the traffic lights or bicycles.
You might be tasked with ordering via voice or handwriting, so the system can capture your biometric data.
Most of the time, however, youd just get free food for signing up and agreeing to McDonalds terms and conditions.
If this sounds a bit like socialism or communism, just remember: theres no such thing as a free lunch. Whatever data McDonalds could gather would be worth a fortune. Its already a globally recognized brand with more than 38,000 locations in 100 countries.
The reason why so many big tech companies have pivoted to AI is because its a trillionaires market. Anyone can gather data, but only a few organizations have the money and infrastructure to gather data from billions of people at a time and even fewer can ensure theyll keep coming back for more no matter what.
Theres nothing stopping McDonalds from using its burgers and nuggets to achieve the same goals as Facebook does with Candy Crush and conservative conspiracy theories.
The picture starts to come into focus when you consider that Facebook was founded in 2004 and its worth $280 billion while the first McDonalds opened in 1955 and its only worth $170 billion.
Could McDonalds turn feeding the hungry into the next big global data-gathering endeavor? What would you do for a free cheeseburger?
Follow this link:
- UC adopts recommendations for the responsible use of Artificial Intelligence - Preuss School Ucsd - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare? 'Don't focus solely on technology' - Innovation Origins - October 20th, 2021
- How Will Health Care Regulators Address Artificial Intelligence? - The Regulatory Review - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence to Boost the Global Wound Care Market by 2026 with Minimal Intervention Solutions - inForney.com - October 20th, 2021
- Global Artificial Intelligence Market Is Expected To Set A New Benchmark With A CAGR Of 40.2% By 2028 | Up Market Research - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions, Inc. Reports Revenue Increases of Over 400% Over Same Period Prior Year as Shown in 2nd Quarter SEC... - October 20th, 2021
- WVU Researchers Using Artificial Intelligence To Help Diagnose Those With Autism - West Virginia Public Broadcasting - October 20th, 2021
- Potential of Artificial Intelligence Replacing Animal Testing in the Future - Analytics Insight - October 20th, 2021
- Putting artificial intelligence at the heart of health care with help from MIT - MIT News - October 20th, 2021
- What is Artificial Intelligence as a Service (AIaaS)? | ITBE - IT Business Edge - October 20th, 2021
- Understanding the UK Artificial Intelligence commercialisation - GOV.UK - October 20th, 2021
- Beethoven's Unfinished 10th Symphony Brought to Life by Artificial Intelligence - Scientific American - October 20th, 2021
- The 5 articles you read in AI hell - The Next Web - October 20th, 2021
- Transactions in the Age of Artificial Intelligence: Risks and Considerations - JD Supra - October 20th, 2021
- SenseTime Co-hosts the 3rd International Artificial Intelligence Fair to Nurture AI Talent and Promote a Collaborative Education Ecosystem -... - October 20th, 2021
- Alation Acquires Artificial Intelligence Vendor Lyngo Analytics - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- AI in the courts - The Indian Express - July 12th, 2021
- Infrared cameras and artificial intelligence provide insight into boiling - MIT News - July 12th, 2021
- COVID: Artificial intelligence in the pandemic - DW (English) - July 12th, 2021
- The smart role of Artificial Intelligence in todays world - BL on Campus - July 12th, 2021
- Which companies are leading the way for artificial intelligence in the aerospace, defence & security sector? Companies leading the way for... - July 12th, 2021
- Navigating the Intersections of Data, Artificial Intelligence, and Privacy - JD Supra - July 12th, 2021
- Companies leading the way for artificial intelligence in the power sector - Power Technology - July 12th, 2021
- Military researchers ask for artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning able to share experiences - Military & Aerospace Electronics - July 12th, 2021
- The Evolution of the Judiciary in the Age of Technology | Artificial Intelligence and the Delivery of Justice - Lexology - July 12th, 2021
- Content management and Artificial Intelligence the future of ContentOps - ITProPortal - July 12th, 2021
- How artificial intelligence is propelling the energy transition forward - Innovation Origins - July 12th, 2021
- Astronomers use artificial intelligence to reveal the true shape of universe - WION - July 12th, 2021
- A History of Regular Expressions and Artificial Intelligence - kottke.org - kottke.org - July 12th, 2021
- Experimenting thoughtfully with artificial intelligence - Reuters - June 15th, 2021
- VisionQuest Uses Artificial Intelligence to Screen 40000 Patients for Diabetic Retinopathy - Business Wire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence for Rapid Exclusion of COVID-19 Infection - SciTechDaily - June 15th, 2021
- Researchers ask industry for military technologies in artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned aircraft - Military & Aerospace Electronics - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Uses of Artificial Intelligence to Improve Customer Experience Measurement - Small Business Trends - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Types of Artificial Intelligence that will Shape 2021 and Beyond - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence will Transform Businesses in 2021? - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Research of Quantum Mechanics - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Global Wearable Medical Devices Markets Report 2021: Integrating Artificial Intelligence in the Wearable Medical Devices is Gaining Traction -... - June 15th, 2021
- Your Future May Lie With an Artificial Intelligence Certificate - The Future of Things - June 15th, 2021
- White House partners with NSF to stand up National AI Research Resource Task Force - Federal News Network - June 15th, 2021
- RGS welcomes Artificial Intelligence Innovator to training event - Attain News - June 15th, 2021
- An artificial-intelligence powered ETF has smashed the S&P 500 in the last month without any meme stocks - Markets Insider - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing the Future of Air Transportation - GW Today - June 15th, 2021
- Can We Learn Sperm Whale Language? Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Find Out - TheInertia.com - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Pharmaceutical market worth US$27156.1 Million in 2031. Visiongain Research Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- DoDs AI center striving to be connective tissue across all projects - Federal News Network - February 17th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence is Improving the Online Sports Betting Experience - MWWire - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Calastone implements Opsmatix Artificial Intelligence solution Improving client handling and efficiency within client operations - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - by Component, Technology, Process, Application, Vehicle Type, Demand Category,... - February 17th, 2021
- Liverpool scientists deploy Artificial Intelligence to develop model that predicts the next pandemic - Times Now - February 17th, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence May Not Offer The Business Value You Think - CMSWire - February 17th, 2021
- Needed: People To Put The Intelligence In Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence helps automation, but can't tell you where to put your money, Indexa CEO says - Business Insider - February 17th, 2021
- Excerpt: 'Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Power' by Rajiv Malhotra - Times of India - February 17th, 2021
- BYU lab works to improve artificial intelligence communication - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to monitor patients with chronic diseases and COVID-19 - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 17th, 2021
- Elon Musk Talks Auto Safety and Regulation of Artificial Intelligence with Joe Rogan - Corporate Crime Reporter - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2020-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - February 17th, 2021
- AI Definition & Meaning | What is Artificial Intelligence? - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Development Goals - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence can predict whether you will die from COVID-19 - Free Press Journal - February 7th, 2021
- Beyond the Unknown: Applications of Artificial intelligence In Space - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Two UWF teams place in top 5 in national artificial intelligence competition - University of West Florida Newsroom - UWF Newsroom - February 7th, 2021
- Bingo and AI: The changing relation between entertainment and artificial intelligence - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Off The Menu: Artificial intelligence lends hand in recipe development - MassLive.com - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence must not be allowed to replace the imperfection of human empathy - The Conversation UK - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the Gamestonk blowback - The Next Web - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Policing Is the Focus of Encode Justice - Teen Vogue - February 6th, 2021
- 'Artificial Intelligence' Integrated PET-CT launched at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad on the occasion of World Cancer Day 2021 - PR Newswire India - February 6th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Will Change The Way We Work Once We Get Back To The Office - Forbes - February 6th, 2021
- Chemistry and computer science join forces to apply artificial intelligence to chemical reactions - Princeton University - February 6th, 2021
- How to Build a Modern Workplace with Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- Morality Poses the Biggest Risk to Military Integration of Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - February 6th, 2021
- Canon Medical expands reach of its MRI artificial intelligence programs - FierceBiotech - February 6th, 2021
- Harnessing the Power of Artificial Intelligence with High-Performance Computing: Dell Technologies - CRN - India - CRN.in - February 6th, 2021