There is a certain morality in each one of us that drives us to better things, bigger things. We define greatness by reaching the technical and emotional facets of things. Integrity is so deeply rooted in the human mind that it makes it impossible to think of the world without it.
When we dwell on the topic of Artificial Intelligence, it has a whopping 3.5 billion dollar market growth which is expected to increase 20 times more in the next two years.
Read: AI And ML To Enhance The Efficiency Of The Credit Sector
For development this big, the implication of its growth on society must be questioned. The existence of AI has dissonant as well as favouring views. While some believe that AI could take over daily work so humans could focus on noble causes, others believe that they would become war machines. The latter is what pinpoints at the absence of ethics and emotions in AI.
Why ethics specifically for AI and not so much for data analytics and other subjects? Because unethical AI could have disastrous outcomes. War is a big example of this. Russias general has already announced that it has been working on AI guided missiles which can decide to switch targets mid-flight. To trust autonomy at a level of war and to at all train it for a war is a very big risk to take.
Artificial Intelligence is something created by humans and hence our relationship with it will be based on purpose. It is an effort at replicating complex human processes and making them more accurately. For example, calculations or equations could be done faster by an AI than a human. Lets not forget that human brain capacity is the basis upon which AI is created. So, it will always be at a point of comparison.
Since AI has already paved its way into our lives with intelligent devices, the possibility of AI dominating the market is not far. The purpose of these devices is to support and serve humans for their tasks and activities. How much is it influencing human activities? Enough to create human dependency on AI.
Smart furniture such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and TVs are guiding you to perform tasks that otherwise required your thought. The areas where you had to think before you did something are being looked after by AI.
You already have an assistant like Alexa, Siri, Google assistance, etc to note your reminders, set alarms, find and play the music you requested and well, even have a light-hearted conversation with.
Summing it up, the human-AI relationship is codependent and exists on purpose.
Very recently, an Australian tech daily covered the news that their government has come up with certain ethical guidelines for AI. Companies like Telstra, Microsoft, and Banks have already signed up for a trial. The ethics framework mainly focuses on AIs capability of understanding human-centered values, accountability and transparency.
Not just one country, but several countries have raised questions regarding the ethical aspect of AI and how it must have a positive impact on society.
What are they really expecting?
When we speak of ethics we are instinctively thinking of behaviour that is benefiting the society. While morals are a firm distinction between right and wrong, ethics are expected out of an individual. For example, an employees loyalty towards the organization he/ she works for is ethical. The honesty provided by a witness of an accident is ethical. The integrity of a person in taking into consideration the feelings of others is ethical.
Also Read: Responsible AI Design Using Human-Centred Design
For businesses to invest in AI, they would need to trust it. IBMs Watson is a great example of an ethical AI that targets businesses who want to use AI to help them work. Privacy, transparency, and accountability are very important for any business to indulge in technology.
Ethics is a very subjective concept but it depends on one thing- choice. An individuals choice of choosing to do the right thing even if there are other options benefiting them. As a society, we have an unconscious expectation from others in society to behave a certain way. At the end of the day, this is what keeps the social fiber of the community together and promotes a deeper sense of harmony.
Artificial intelligence comes closest to human society since it is a replication of the human mind. Intelligent devices become an integral part of our lives and hence need to adhere to the principles that hold the society together.
For tech giants like Microsoft and IBM, AI in their face recognition system developed a bias in its process of filtering people based on gender and skin type. Apart from IT industries, the use of AI in fields of creativity, therapy, sales, and marketing would also require it to have a certain amount of empathy. Every industry that is dealing with humans on a one to one basis will need an ethical AI.
Here are two cases of application of AI that becomes unethical:
In the coming years, AI is going to be changing the way we do things forever. When you put something of such high influence into the world, a critical examination of it is essential.
Also Read: Do We Trust Artificial Intelligence Agents To Mediate Conflict? Not Entirely
A utopian theme with AI would look like an automated car driving effortlessly through traffic and responding quickly in case of an accident. AI is used vastly in medical infrastructure and it should take decisions in the interest of patients. Smart devices in households should ensure that data is not breached and used otherwise. The credit and manufacturing sector also need to ensure ethical practices are followed with the use of AI.
The existence of AI so far has proved beneficial contrary to its disastrous portrayal in feature films. It has become inescapable from our lives and the way forward would be building its emotional quotient. Government organizations can work on developing a wholesome policy regulation of AI systems that could push forward the goals expected out of AI in the world.
What do you think the future of ethical AI would be? Let us know in the comment section below or tweet to us @ExpComputer
If you have an interesting article / experience / case study to share, please get in touch with us at [emailprotected]
- Artificial intelligence: The rising star of education - Daily Sabah - December 3rd, 2019
- Asia-Pacific Digital Transformation Markets 2019-2024: Focus on 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Opinion | The artificial intelligence frontier of economic theory - Livemint - December 3rd, 2019
- Seminar - Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Young People - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2019
- Triple your CX impact with artificial intelligence and these five tactics - CXNetwork - December 3rd, 2019
- BioSig Technologies Announces New Collaboration on Development of Artificial Intelligence Solutions in Healthcare - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Amazon makes three major AI announcements during re:Invent 2019 - AI News - December 3rd, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence on humans - Bangkok Post - December 3rd, 2019
- What Jobs Will Artificial Intelligence Affect? - EHS Today - December 3rd, 2019
- India wants to be on the cusp of artificial intelligence but lacks the laws to back it up - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- Artificial intelligence use 'must be transparent and accountable' - The Irish News - December 3rd, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2019
- It Pays To Break Artificial Intelligence Out Of The Lab, Study Confirms - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Dyno Therapeutics Announces Research Published in Science Enabling Artificial Intelligence Approach to Create New AAV Capsids for Gene Therapies -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence, climate change and the U.S military - The Red (Team) Analysis Society - December 3rd, 2019
- The Best Artificial Intelligence Stocks of 2019 -- and The Top AI Stock for 2020 - The Motley Fool - December 3rd, 2019
- Verata Health Named Leading Innovative Artificial Intelligence Company by the American Hospital Association - PR Web - December 3rd, 2019
- How To Get Your Rsum Past The Artificial Intelligence Gatekeepers - Forbes - November 20th, 2019
- Highlights: Addressing fairness in the context of artificial intelligence - Brookings Institution - November 20th, 2019
- Newsrooms have five years to embrace artificial intelligence or they risk becoming irrelevant - Journalism.co.uk - November 20th, 2019
- 4 Reasons to Use Artificial Intelligence in Your Next Embedded Design - DesignNews - November 20th, 2019
- Colorado at the forefront of AI and what it means for jobs of the future - The Denver Channel - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence has become a driving force in everyday life, says LivePerson CEO - CNBC - November 20th, 2019
- Two-thirds of employees would trust a robot boss more than a real one - World Economic Forum - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence engines have implicit biases - The Daily Titan - November 20th, 2019
- Microsoft Aims to Bring AI to Mainstream Collaboration with Project Cortex - Channel Futures - November 20th, 2019
- Scientists used IBM Watson to discover an ancient humanoid stick figure - Business Insider - November 20th, 2019
- Is it worth investing in artificial intelligence? - ITProPortal - November 20th, 2019
- The Future Of Artificial Intelligence In Retail - Digital Information World - November 20th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Will Enable the Future, Blockchain Will Secure It - Cointelegraph - November 20th, 2019
- Epileptic Seizure Prediction becomes much easier with the new Artificial Intelligence technology - Digital Information World - November 20th, 2019
- Public fears about artificial intelligence are 'not the fault of A.I.' itself, tech exec says - CNBC - November 20th, 2019
- Three Legal Areas to Think About When Using Artificial Intelligence in the Workplace - JD Supra - November 20th, 2019
- Intel to Expand Role in High-Performance Computing and Artificial Intelligence - Financialbuzz.com - November 20th, 2019
- 13 Mind-Blowing Things Artificial Intelligence Can Already Do Today - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Is Cloud AI a Fad? The Shortcomings of Cloud Artificial Intelligence - CTOvision - November 13th, 2019
- AI Can Tell If You're Going to Die Soon. We Just Don't Know How It Knows. - Popular Mechanics - November 13th, 2019
- How can artificial intelligence improve the superyacht industry? - Superyacht News - The Superyacht Report - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Too Important to Leave to Google and Facebook Alone - The New York Times - November 13th, 2019
- The Army Is Bringing Artificial Intelligence To Its Armored Vehicles - The National Interest Online - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence to run the chemical factories of the future | Illinois - University of Illinois News Bureau - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence to pave way for new professions - Daily Sabah - November 13th, 2019
- AI and automation will disrupt our world but only Andrew Yang is warning about it | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2019
- "Artificial intelligence is not the future - it is happening right now" - Journalism.co.uk - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence (AI): what you need to know about the megatrend - Finance Market News - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence sales platform, Enerjoy, Launches its series A fundraising round at an event held in SAP Next Gen HQ in NYC - PRNewswire - November 13th, 2019
- AI deemed 'too dangerous to release' makes it out into the world - The Independent - November 13th, 2019
- The ethical, social and Jewish implications of Artificial Intelligence - Jewish News - November 13th, 2019
- Vision Artificial Intelligence Can Help Minimize Angst, For Companies And Customers, In The Relocation/Moving Industry - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- JP Morgan Invests Undisclosed Amount in Limeglass, an Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Research Analysis Firm - Crowdfund Insider - November 13th, 2019
- These artificial intelligence bartenders are the future of festive parties - Prestige Online - November 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Being Used To Diagnose Disease And Design New Drugs - Forbes - October 1st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence is driving the UK's NextGen jobs - Study International News - October 1st, 2019
- Fearing a future of artificial intelligence haves and have-nots - The Seattle Times - October 1st, 2019
- Zen and the art of artificial intelligence - The Drum - October 1st, 2019
- Patenting Considerations for Artificial Intelligence in Biotech and Synthetic Biology - JD Supra - October 1st, 2019
- New Survey Reveals that HR Leaders Are Prioritizing Artificial Intelligence to Improve the Employee Experience - PRNewswire - October 1st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence is driving the next generation of jobs in the UK - Information Age - October 1st, 2019
- Pope Francis on artificial intelligence: Does it really risk barbarism? - Verdict - October 1st, 2019
- New Artificial Intelligence Tool Will Show Nonprofits What's Working and What's Not - PRNewswire - October 1st, 2019
- On-Demand Concierge & Life-Saving Artificial Intelligence Now Available to 5.3M California Medicare Recipients Through Alignment Health Plan -... - October 1st, 2019
- Spending on Artificial Intelligence systems in the Middle East & Africa to top $374 million in 2020 - TelecomTV - October 1st, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing The Landscape Of Digital Marketing - Inc42 Media - October 1st, 2019
- Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Reconstruct Ancient Games - Atlas Obscura - October 1st, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 29th, 2019