There is a certain morality in each one of us that drives us to better things, bigger things. We define greatness by reaching the technical and emotional facets of things. Integrity is so deeply rooted in the human mind that it makes it impossible to think of the world without it.
When we dwell on the topic of Artificial Intelligence, it has a whopping 3.5 billion dollar market growth which is expected to increase 20 times more in the next two years.
Read: AI And ML To Enhance The Efficiency Of The Credit Sector
For development this big, the implication of its growth on society must be questioned. The existence of AI has dissonant as well as favouring views. While some believe that AI could take over daily work so humans could focus on noble causes, others believe that they would become war machines. The latter is what pinpoints at the absence of ethics and emotions in AI.
Why ethics specifically for AI and not so much for data analytics and other subjects? Because unethical AI could have disastrous outcomes. War is a big example of this. Russias general has already announced that it has been working on AI guided missiles which can decide to switch targets mid-flight. To trust autonomy at a level of war and to at all train it for a war is a very big risk to take.
Artificial Intelligence is something created by humans and hence our relationship with it will be based on purpose. It is an effort at replicating complex human processes and making them more accurately. For example, calculations or equations could be done faster by an AI than a human. Lets not forget that human brain capacity is the basis upon which AI is created. So, it will always be at a point of comparison.
Since AI has already paved its way into our lives with intelligent devices, the possibility of AI dominating the market is not far. The purpose of these devices is to support and serve humans for their tasks and activities. How much is it influencing human activities? Enough to create human dependency on AI.
Smart furniture such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and TVs are guiding you to perform tasks that otherwise required your thought. The areas where you had to think before you did something are being looked after by AI.
You already have an assistant like Alexa, Siri, Google assistance, etc to note your reminders, set alarms, find and play the music you requested and well, even have a light-hearted conversation with.
Summing it up, the human-AI relationship is codependent and exists on purpose.
Very recently, an Australian tech daily covered the news that their government has come up with certain ethical guidelines for AI. Companies like Telstra, Microsoft, and Banks have already signed up for a trial. The ethics framework mainly focuses on AIs capability of understanding human-centered values, accountability and transparency.
Not just one country, but several countries have raised questions regarding the ethical aspect of AI and how it must have a positive impact on society.
What are they really expecting?
When we speak of ethics we are instinctively thinking of behaviour that is benefiting the society. While morals are a firm distinction between right and wrong, ethics are expected out of an individual. For example, an employees loyalty towards the organization he/ she works for is ethical. The honesty provided by a witness of an accident is ethical. The integrity of a person in taking into consideration the feelings of others is ethical.
Also Read: Responsible AI Design Using Human-Centred Design
For businesses to invest in AI, they would need to trust it. IBMs Watson is a great example of an ethical AI that targets businesses who want to use AI to help them work. Privacy, transparency, and accountability are very important for any business to indulge in technology.
Ethics is a very subjective concept but it depends on one thing- choice. An individuals choice of choosing to do the right thing even if there are other options benefiting them. As a society, we have an unconscious expectation from others in society to behave a certain way. At the end of the day, this is what keeps the social fiber of the community together and promotes a deeper sense of harmony.
Artificial intelligence comes closest to human society since it is a replication of the human mind. Intelligent devices become an integral part of our lives and hence need to adhere to the principles that hold the society together.
For tech giants like Microsoft and IBM, AI in their face recognition system developed a bias in its process of filtering people based on gender and skin type. Apart from IT industries, the use of AI in fields of creativity, therapy, sales, and marketing would also require it to have a certain amount of empathy. Every industry that is dealing with humans on a one to one basis will need an ethical AI.
Here are two cases of application of AI that becomes unethical:
In the coming years, AI is going to be changing the way we do things forever. When you put something of such high influence into the world, a critical examination of it is essential.
Also Read: Do We Trust Artificial Intelligence Agents To Mediate Conflict? Not Entirely
A utopian theme with AI would look like an automated car driving effortlessly through traffic and responding quickly in case of an accident. AI is used vastly in medical infrastructure and it should take decisions in the interest of patients. Smart devices in households should ensure that data is not breached and used otherwise. The credit and manufacturing sector also need to ensure ethical practices are followed with the use of AI.
The existence of AI so far has proved beneficial contrary to its disastrous portrayal in feature films. It has become inescapable from our lives and the way forward would be building its emotional quotient. Government organizations can work on developing a wholesome policy regulation of AI systems that could push forward the goals expected out of AI in the world.
What do you think the future of ethical AI would be? Let us know in the comment section below or tweet to us @ExpComputer
If you have an interesting article / experience / case study to share, please get in touch with us at [emailprotected]
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Definition - Investopedia - May 31st, 2020
- The Temptations Of Artificial Intelligence Technology And The Price Of Admission - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence offers a chance to optimize COVID-19 treatment in international partnership - Vanderbilt University News - May 31st, 2020
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 31st, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is hopelessly biased - and that's how it will stay - TechRadar India - May 31st, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 31st, 2020
- Art and artifice - The Indian Express - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence software improves accuracy, doubles speed in evaluating CT scans of advanced cancer - UAB News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 31st, 2020
- The Use of Artificial Intelligence by Investment Advisers: Considerations Based on an Advisers Fiduciary Duties - JD Supra - May 31st, 2020
- Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Infrastructures job with UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL | 208485 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 31st, 2020
- Walmart Employees Are Out to Show Its Anti-Shoplifting AI Doesn't Work - WIRED - May 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 31st, 2020
- IIT-Ropar and TSW Launch a PG Programme in Artificial Intelligence - THE WEEK - May 31st, 2020
- MS in Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence - May 19th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? | Azure Blog and Updates ... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are the Advantages of Artificial Intelligence ... - May 19th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - May 19th, 2020
- It's Called Artificial Intelligencebut What Is Intelligence? - WIRED - May 19th, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 19th, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence-based imaging reconstruction may lead to incorrect diagnoses, experts caution - Radiology Business - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Covid Frontline - Morningstar - May 19th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Cancer: How Is It Used in Practice? - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 19th, 2020
- Five Important Subsets of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- Ethical artificial intelligence: Could Switzerland take the lead? - swissinfo.ch - May 19th, 2020
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence: Edge Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Architecture - May 15th, 2020
- Keysight Validates Artificial Intelligence (AI) and ... - May 15th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence? Examples and News in 2019 ... - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Is Nothing Without Humans - E3zine.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is helping seniors who are isolated during the coronavirus pandemic - WXYZ - May 15th, 2020
- ValleyML is launching a Machine Learning and Deep Learning Boot Camp from July 14th to Sept 10th and AI Expo Series from Sept 21st to Nov 19th 2020.... - May 15th, 2020
- TSA Issues Road Map to Tackle Insider Threat With Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - May 15th, 2020
- The Expanding Role Of Artificial Intelligence In Tax - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: Technology Of The Future - Forbes India - May 15th, 2020
- SparkCognition and Milize to Offer Automated Machine Learning Solutions for Financial Institutions to the APAC Region - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- Alpha Modus Allowed 2nd Patent Leveraging Artificial Intelligence for Monitoring and Analyzing Consumer Behavior - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla : Artificial Intelligence - the .AI domain is on the rise - marketscreener.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Can Only Help Architecture if We Ask the Right Questions - ArchDaily - May 15th, 2020
- Fighting COVID-19: Artificial Intelligence community to help citizens and the healthcare system - Canada NewsWire - May 15th, 2020
- Understanding the Four Types of Artificial Intelligence - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence Facts for Kids - May 9th, 2020
- 4 Main Types of Artificial Intelligence - G2 - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence project lets Holocaust survivors ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Simple English Wikipedia, the ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Market by Size, Share, Analysis ... - May 9th, 2020
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence movie review (2001) | Roger Ebert - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Evolving to Process the World Like Humans - Interesting Engineering - May 9th, 2020
- Drug research turns to artificial intelligence in COVID-19 fight - Business in Vancouver - May 9th, 2020
- Women wanted: Why now could be a good time for women to pursue a career in AI - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Used to Identify Light Sources With Far Fewer Measurements - Unite.AI - May 9th, 2020
- The Impending Artificial Intelligence Revolution in Healthcare - Op-Ed - HIT Consultant - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 identification in X-ray images by Artificial intelligence - News Anyway - May 9th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to the care sector amid COVID-19? - Descrier - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2020
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - April 26th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | PCMag - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence And Automation Top Focus For Venture Capitalists - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence can take banks to the next level - TechRepublic - April 26th, 2020
- Health care of tomorrow, today: How artificial intelligence is fighting the current, and future, COVID-19 pandemic | TheHill - The Hill - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence, IoT And Big Data Can Save The Bees - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- First meeting of the new CEPEJ Working Group on cyberjustice and artificial intelligence - Council of Europe - April 26th, 2020
- When the coronavirus hit, California turned to artificial intelligence to help map the spread - 60 Minutes - CBS News - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Oil & Gas Industry, 2020-2025 - Upstream Operations to Witness Significant Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 26th, 2020
- Pre & Post COVID-19 Market Estimates-Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market in Retail Sector 2019-2023| Increased Efficiency of Operations to Boost... - April 26th, 2020
- EUREKA Clusters Artificial Intelligence (AI) Call | News item - The Netherlands and You - April 26th, 2020
- A guide to healthy skepticism of artificial intelligence and coronavirus - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2020
- AI vs your career? What artificial intelligence will really do to the future of work - ZDNet - April 2nd, 2020