Following COVID-19, the use of AI in both public and private sectors seems unavoidable. Many industries stand to benefit greatly from its use; for example; in the manufacturing industry (e.g. industrial robots), in transport (e.g. autonomous vehicles), in financial markets, health and medical care (e.g. medical robots, diagnostic tools and assistive technology), as well as more generally, for example, for self-cleaning public places. However, there are risks related to AI, including its opacity or, as often referred to, its black box features. European Institutions have been trying to address this, and the related issues for a number of years, but the spotlight, post-COVID-19, is now firmly focused on AI.
The European Commission has drafted many documents and including a White Paper on Artificial Intelligence (19 February 2020), with a subsequent draft report detailing recommendations to the Commission on a civil liability regime for AI. This document also suggested a motion calling for a European Parliament Resolution and drawing up a European Parliament and Council Regulation on liability relating to the operation of AI-systems (27 April 2020).
A further study was commissioned by the Policy Department C, at the request of the Committee on Legal Affairs. This study on Artificial Intelligence and Civil Liability was published on 14 July 2020.
In all of these documents, the European Institutions and expert groups stress that a key issue arising from the use of AI (in public or private sectors) is the liability for potential damages, in relation to the use of, or defects caused by AI tools. Many AI-systems depend on external data and are vulnerable to cybersecurity breaches. With opacity and increased autonomy in AI, it becomes increasingly difficult to identify the liable party and the harmed individual, making it challenging to obtain compensation.
Currently, the Product Liability Directive (85/374/CEE) is the framework governing such liability. This directive has been implemented in national member states and it places liability on the producer for damages caused by a product defect. The consumer and generally the injured person has to show evidence of the causal link between the defect of the product and the damage. In a case of damages caused by an AI tool, this, is not so easy to prove.
Nonetheless, these experts stress that a complete review of the general European legal framework on civil liability is not required, but it is necessary to adapt the legislation in force and introduce new provisions.
In light of this, the draft report of the European Parliament includes a proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on liability for the operation of AI-systems. This regulation, if approved, would introduce a new form of liability for the party deploying the AI-system - defined as the person who decides on the use of AI-systems, exercises control over the associated risks and benefits from its operation.
Notably, the proposed regulation provides for a strict liability for high-risk AI-systems, these are systems that display intelligent behavior (see art. 3 and 4). In line with other legislation regarding civil liability in critical and high-risks sectors, the proposed regulation provides for a compulsory insurance cover. Additionally, the proposed regulation establishes the maximum amount of compensation damages.
By contrast, according to art. 8 of the proposed regulation, the deployer of an AI-system not defined as a high-risk AI-system in accordance to the provisions of the regulation, shall be subjected to fault-based liability for any harm or damage caused by a physical or virtual activity, device or process driven by the AI-system.
In short, this means a double track of liability based on the risk of the activity.
Reflecting the traditional principles of civil liability, the proposed regulation introduces other provisions regarding; damages, limitation period, multiple tortfeasors, and so on. In line with other documents that address the issue of liability, the proposed new regulation attempts to find a balance between the protection of user rights and collectivity, and the creation of new and innovative technologies.
Finally, as technology changes faster than legislation in many cases, even the newest legislation may not cover every challenge posed by AI. In the interim, general rules and principles in force should be applied in every legal system, as the law continues to change and adapt.
- A crewless boat is recreating the Mayflower's 400-year-old journey, with the help of artificial intelligence - CBS News - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Is It All Just Costly Hype? - Dice Insights - December 26th, 2020
- 7 Types of Artificial Intelligence: Propelling the Technology Development - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence will go mainstream in 2021 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 26th, 2020
- Top 7 Amazing Artificial Intelligence Applications that Are Unfamiliar - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- NASCAR Team up with the World Poker Tour while Artificial Intelligence Breaks New Barriers - HighstakesDB - December 26th, 2020
- Youve heard of Elf on the Shelf; in New Haven theres elf with artificial intelligence - New Haven Register - December 26th, 2020
- How is Artificial Intelligence Transforming the lives of People with Disabilities? - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- How Bad Is Your Spotify? There's Artificial Intelligence to Judge Your Taste - Distractify - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence measure included in must-pass government funding deal - Homeland Preparedness News - December 26th, 2020
- PetrSU joined the fight for leadership in the field of artificial intelligence applications in Russia and in the world - India Education Diary - December 26th, 2020
- Why not enlist the help of artificial intelligence to nudge people to mask up? - Houston Chronicle - December 22nd, 2020
- Congress wants an inventory of all AI projects at the Pentagon - C4ISRNet - December 22nd, 2020
- The influence of artificial intelligence on the banking industry - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - December 22nd, 2020
- Application of artificial intelligence in the field of treatment and medicine - Tehran Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The 2021 AI 50 List Are Open - Forbes - December 22nd, 2020
- Delivering Proactive Mental Healthcare With Artificial Intelligence - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is intertwined in precision agriculture - AGDAILY - December 22nd, 2020
- Spin Announces Cutting Edge On-Vehicle Artificial Intelligence (AI) Platform To Bring Sidewalk Riding and Parking Detection Technology to Cities... - December 22nd, 2020
- UC convenes Artificial Intelligence Working Group to harness innovative technology, establish guardrails for equitable and ethical use - University of... - December 22nd, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Research Report by Technology, by Process, by Offerings, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence, Contactless Solutions Set to Provide Safety Protocols to Enable Reopening of Live Events in 2021 - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Employing artificial intelligence to spot infrastructure issues - Construction Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- CPPI and HSDF Release Report from Virtual Symposium: Artificial Intelligence: Transforming the Government Mission - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Top 10 AI and machine learning stories of 2020 - Healthcare IT News - December 17th, 2020
- The 8 Best Books About Artificial Intelligence to Read Now - WIRED - December 17th, 2020
- KODA AUTO wins Pioneer Award for its use of artificial intelligence and Sound Analyser app - Automotive World - December 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligences Are Power Hungry, But Not How You Think - Nextgov - December 17th, 2020
- Now is the time to ensure artificial intelligence works for Europeans - EU News - December 17th, 2020
- Currux Vision LLC Announces Industry Leading Accuracy of Artificial Intelligence Smart City Traffic Platform Testing with the City of San Jos - PR Web - December 17th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to reach fathers and support child nutrition in India during COVID-19 - World Bank Group - December 17th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence helped me overcome my dyslexia - The Guardian - December 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Advances Showcased at the Virtual 2020 AACC Annual Scientific Meeting Could Help to Integrate This Technology Into Everyday... - December 17th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Supply Chain Management Market was Valued at US$ 1549.5 Mn in 2019 Growing at a CAGR of 25.12% over the Forecast... - December 17th, 2020
- Are AI and job automation good for society? Globally, views are mixed - Pew Research Center - December 17th, 2020
- Landmark artificial intelligence legislation advances toward becoming law Defense bill awaits possible presidential veto and Congressional override;... - December 17th, 2020
- The Next Generation Of Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - October 16th, 2020
- St. Louis Is Grappling With Artificial Intelligence's Promise And Potential Peril - St. Louis Public Radio - October 16th, 2020
- Looper column: Artificial intelligence, humanity and the future - SouthCoastToday.com - October 16th, 2020
- For artificial intelligence to flourish, governments need to think ahead about its responsible use - Firstpost - October 16th, 2020
- MediFind Selected as Finalist for Best in Artificial Intelligence in the Shorty Social Good Awards - The Wellsboro Gazette - October 16th, 2020
- The relentless threat of artificial intelligence taking our jobs away - Mint - October 16th, 2020
- Will artificial intelligence technology change the dairy industry - positivelyosceola.com - October 16th, 2020
- Penn Medicine researchers use artificial intelligence to identify early signs of Alzheimer's Disease - Express Computer - October 16th, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2020
- SparkCognition Advances the Science of Artificial Intelligence with 85 Patents - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Dont Be Afraid, BMW Promises To Keep Artificial Intelligence (AI) On A Tight Leash With These 7 Principles - CarScoops - October 16th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Government: Global Markets 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 31st, 2020
- Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data - FDA.gov - August 31st, 2020
- Supercharge vegetation management and outage prediction with artificial intelligence - Utility Dive - August 31st, 2020
- Automation, artificial intelligence to be central in the post-Covid world - Economic Times - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Next Top Gun - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Defense Innovation Unit Teaching Artificial Intelligence to Detect Cancer - Department of Defense - August 31st, 2020
- Toward a machine learning model that can reason about everyday actions - MIT News - August 31st, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is changing the way we search and find online - ITProPortal - August 31st, 2020
- TikTok Assets Cant Be Sold Without Chinas Approval - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Oil and Gas Market Global Size, Growth and Demand 2020 to 2030 - The News Brok - August 31st, 2020
- Rage Against the Algorithm: the Risks of Overestimating Military Artificial Intelligence - Chatham House - August 31st, 2020
- U of I to lead two of seven new national artificial intelligence institutes - University of Illinois News - August 31st, 2020
- Holocaust survivors will be able to share their stories after death thanks to a new project - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 31st, 2020
- Funding boost for artificial intelligence in NHS to speed up diagnosis of deadly diseases - GOV.UK - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies 80,000 Spiral Galaxies Promises More Astronomical Discoveries in the Future - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- Is Artificial intelligence the Future of IT Help Desk? - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Experts Are Divided Over Future Of Artificial Intelligence But Agree On Its Growing Impact - Outlook India - August 10th, 2020
- "Artificial Intelligence Will Make Medicine Better in the Long Run" - Biophotonics.World - August 10th, 2020
- How machine learning and artificial intelligence can drive clinical innovation - PharmaLive - August 10th, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Investments in July 2020 - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Job interviews: Recruiters are using artificial intelligence to analyse what you say to find the right hire - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- The next frontier of human-robot relationships is building trust - Scroll.in - August 8th, 2020
- Game-Changing Artificial Intelligence Solution by PhotoShelter to Revolutionize Social Media Workflow as Premier Lacrosse League Returns to the Field... - August 8th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Helping to Fight against Coronavirus in India? - Analytics Insight - August 8th, 2020
- BLOG: How to capitalise on the Artificial Intelligence theme - Your Money - Your Money - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Its Partners - Modern Diplomacy - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence isnt destroying jobs, its making them more inclusive - The Globe and Mail - August 8th, 2020
- RadNet and Hologic Announce Collaboration to Advance the Development of Artificial Intelligence Tools in Breast Health - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 48% Through 2020-2024|Growing Adoption of... - August 7th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Business: The New Normal in Testing Times - Analytics Insight - August 7th, 2020
- VIEW: Digitisation in pathology and the promise of artificial intelligence - CNBCTV18 - August 7th, 2020
- What It Means to Be Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence - Medium - August 7th, 2020
- Not so Artificial Intelligence When is AI really AI? - EFTM - August 3rd, 2020