As artificial intelligence continues to grow and develop, its presence is affecting more and more industries. In this piece, Becky Holton explores the impact AI is having on the music business, as well as looking at some of the AI-based tools at play on the music market today.
These days, we can all artificial intelligence (AI) all around us. The main purpose of AI is to simulate mental tasks and one of the most important subsets of this technological advancement is machine learning. This is because it has a significant effect on all the other fields within AI.
As AI gets incorporated in different industries, the music industry has now begun using it. With the introduction of AI, the competitive sustainability of organizations and individuals in the music industry has increased. Lets find out more about AI in the music industry and a few tools that those in the industry are now using.
How AI affects the music industry
Most people arent used to thinking about AI as something universal and pervasive. But in reality, it already exists all around us and we use different kinds of AI technology in our daily lives. Many industries and businesses use some form of AI technology from online shops,essay writer services, scientific institutions, and more.
But what about the music industry?
As human beings, we are all naturally creative and the best of us express their creativity through music. While we have come this far without using AI to make music, does this mean that we dont need such technology for this industry?
When you think about the capacity of AI, the first question that comes to mind is if AI can play real music. With all the smart devices that we use, we already know the answer to this question. But even if these technologies can play music, does this mean that it can compose music too? If so, how will this affect the market of the music industry?
While AI can play music created by people or even play music on its own, right now, AI doesnt have the capacity to compose original music. However, the long-term vision of those who develop AI is for this technological advancement to have the ability to produce certain styles of music after we (humans) feed the right kind of data to it.
AI music enthusiasts and experts feel excited about this because it will allow them to collect valuable data. Also, it will let technicians to see exactly how music gets shaped. But right now, AI can only produce some variations of songs that already exist, not write original scores. Still, it can help producers and musicians improve their skills to produce better music.
The most significant developments
A lot of people still fear the rise of AI because they dont want computers to take over the work that humans do. But AI does offer a lot of benefits too. In the music industry, the most significant benefits of AI come from the following developments:
Right now, one of the current roles of AI is in the finalization of music. This occurs when producers master or smooth out aspects of their song production process. In the music industry, experts develop AI technology to understand the cues smoothing professionals look for, then remove them automatically without the need for human interaction.
Songwriting and song development
Erica Samson who works as a creative writer for anessay writing service UKsays that songwriting is something that you need to practice thoroughly if you want to become a true artist. She adds that when it comes to AI taking over this aspect, theres a very low risk of this happening.
Instead, AI can provide professional musicians the several opportunities to come up with new, exciting songs. There are now some AI-music development startups that have made the creation of music more accessible.
This is great news for musicians who are just starting out too. Of course, while such technologies can aid in the process, humans still have to do most of the work, especially in terms of coming up with creative content.
AI tools for the music industry
Its true that AI is gradually becoming an essential part of the music industry. This is good news for some while others remain uncertain. If youre wondering what tools are out there for the musically inclined, here are some examples:
Playbeat utilizes AI technology to randomize grooves through the manipulation of volume, pitch, and other elements of music. All you have to do is load your music samples, tap/click the randomize button, and Playbeat gets to work. You also have the option to adjust parameters manually if you want to.
Aiva Technologies focuses on creating music for movies, commercials, and video games. It has analyzed musical creations of several classical composers and has created its own variations of these.
Jukedeck is a paid AI tool for individuals and businesses. The developers have put in a lot of work to teach this AI by feeding it with large amounts of audio files and data.
This is one of the more unique AI tools for the music industry. Rather than building its own beats from scratch, this tool depends on beats that you have already uploaded then creates its own variations.
Rhythmiq focuses on live performance. For instance, if you already have a playlist that you listen to while working, but you want to have a few variations to fill the silence and change your mood, then this may be the perfect tool for you.
This Australian AI startup has its basis on deep learning technology. Unlike other AI tools, this one can predict the music you will play, provide accompaniment as you play, and even create its own improvisations.
The main instrument for this AI tool is an electronic keyboard that the developers had trained using electronic samples. But the developers also plan to collaborate with other musicians for Popgun to learn to play other instruments too.
While the mere idea of AI creating music might seem threatening for musicians and music producers, the truth is, AI can actually help them think more creatively. AI eliminates the more tedious aspects of music production so musicians can focus on more important things like unleashing their creativity.
AI is one of the best solutions for amateurs, too, since it can help them create better music without spending too much time or effort. At the end of the day, creativity remains to be something only humans have so we shouldnt feel worried about AI taking over.
Becky Holton is a journalist and a blogger. She is interested in education technologies and is always ready to support informative speaking. Follow her on Twitter.
- Why Neuro-Symbolic Artificial Intelligence Is The AI Of The Future - Digital Trends - January 5th, 2020
- Welcome to the roaring 2020s, the artificial intelligence decade - GreenBiz - January 5th, 2020
- Top five projections in Artificial Intelligence for 2020 - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- A reality check on artificial intelligence: Can it match the hype? - PhillyVoice.com - January 5th, 2020
- Can medical artificial intelligence live up to the hype? - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- Illinois regulates artificial intelligence like HireVues used to analyze online job Interviews - Vox.com - January 5th, 2020
- How This Cofounder Created An Artificial Intelligence Styling Company To Help Consumers Shop - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Takes on Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - January 5th, 2020
- Baidu looks to work with Indian institutions on AI - BusinessLine - January 5th, 2020
- Top Movies Of 2019 That Depicted Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Analytics India Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Shocking ways AI technology will revolutionise every day industries in YOUR lifetime - Express.co.uk - January 5th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence takes scam to a whole new level - The Jackson Sun - January 5th, 2020
- Global Industrial Artificial Intelligence Market 2019 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2024 - Food &... - January 5th, 2020
- IIT Hyderabad to collaborate with Telangana government on artificial intelligence - India Today - January 5th, 2020
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - January 5th, 2020
- Revisiting the rise of A.I.: How far has artificial intelligence come since 2010? - Digital Trends - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence is helping us talk to animals (yes, really) - Wired.co.uk - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies Previously Unknown Features Associated with Cancer Recurrence - Imaging Technology News - December 30th, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Rushing Into Patient Care - And Could Raise Risks - Scientific American - December 30th, 2019
- Quantum leap: Why we first need to focus on the ethical challenges of artificial intelligence - Economic Times - December 30th, 2019
- In 2020, lets stop AI ethics-washing and actually do something - MIT Technology Review - December 30th, 2019
- The Power Of Purpose: How We Counter Hate Used Artificial Intelligence To Battle Hate Speech Online - Forbes - December 30th, 2019
- The skills needed to land the hottest tech job of 2020 - Business Insider Nordic - December 30th, 2019
- In the 2020s, human-level A.I. will arrive, and finally ace the Turing test - Inverse - December 30th, 2019
- Samsung to announce its Neon artificial intelligence project at CES 2020 - Firstpost - December 30th, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything - HowStuffWorks - December 26th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence jobs on the rise, along with everything else AI - ZDNet - December 26th, 2019
- Why Cognitive Technology May Be A Better Term Than Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- What Is The Artificial Intelligence Of Things? When AI Meets IoT - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- One key to artificial intelligence on the battlefield: trust - C4ISRNet - December 26th, 2019
- How is Artificial Intelligence (AI) Changing the Future of Architecture? - AiThority - December 26th, 2019
- Who will really dominate artificial intelligence capabilities in the future? - Tech Wire Asia - December 26th, 2019
- For Telangana, 2020 will be year of artificial intelligence - BusinessLine - December 26th, 2019
- Chanukah and the Battle of Artificial Intelligence - The Ultimate Victory of the Human Being - Chabad.org - December 26th, 2019
- AI-based health app: Putting patients first - ETHealthworld.com - December 26th, 2019
- Fels backs calls to use artificial intelligence as wage-theft detector - The Age - December 26th, 2019
- China should step up regulation of artificial intelligence in finance, think tank says - Reuters - December 26th, 2019
- Law must be adapted for the Fourth Industrial Revolution | TheHill - The Hill - December 26th, 2019
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - December 21st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence, Foresight, and the Offense-Defense Balance - War on the Rocks - December 21st, 2019
- Finland offers crash course in artificial intelligence to EU - The Associated Press - December 21st, 2019
- 7 tips to get your resume past the robots reading it - CNBC - December 21st, 2019
- The Machines Are Learning, and So Are the Students - The New York Times - December 21st, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Humanizing the Healthcare Industry - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 21st, 2019
- Zebra Medical Vision Announces Agreement With DePuy Synthes to Deploy Cloud Based Artificial Intelligence Orthopaedic Surgical Planning Tools -... - December 21st, 2019
- Top Artificial Intelligence Books Released In 2019 That You Must Read - Analytics India Magazine - December 21st, 2019
- Why video games and board games arent a good measure of AI intelligence - The Verge - December 21st, 2019
- New Findings Show Artificial Intelligence Software Improves Breast Cancer Detection and Physician Accuracy - P&T Community - December 21st, 2019
- Tommie Experts: Ethically Educating on Artificial Intelligence at St. Thomas - University of St. Thomas Newsroom - December 21st, 2019
- Artificial intelligence predictions for 2020: 16 experts have their say - Verdict - December 21st, 2019
- Beethovens unfinished tenth symphony to be completed by artificial intelligence - Classic FM - December 21st, 2019
- Innovations in Artificial Intelligence, Cloud, Blockchain, and Analytics, 2019: Advances in AI, Blockchain, and Business Intelligence -... - December 19th, 2019
- Innovations in Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, IoT, and Analytics, 2019 Study - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - December 19th, 2019
- Military Applications of Artificial Intelligence - Ethics Project Now Funded - Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) - December 19th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence might be a factor behind the Climate Change - Digital Information World - December 19th, 2019
- Tech experts agree its time to regulate artificial intelligence if only it were that simple - GeekWire - December 19th, 2019
- Latest Innovations in Wound Care, Ophthalmic Devices, and Artificial Intelligence-enabled Diagnostics, 2019 Research Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 19th, 2019
- Innovations in Radar-on-Chip, Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging Systems, Artificial Intelligence, and In-vehicle Sensing Solutions, 2019 Study -... - December 19th, 2019
- Ume University: Master all areas of Artificial Intelligence - Study International News - December 19th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence must be used with care - The Australian Financial Review - December 19th, 2019
- Accountability is the key to ethical artificial intelligence, experts say - ComputerWeekly.com - December 19th, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence in the banking sector & how AI is being used in 2020 - Business Insider India - December 19th, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Reshaping the Future of Stock Picking - InsideHook - December 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Solutions and Market Opportunities to 2024: A Comprehensive 10-Report Research Bundle - Yahoo Finance - December 18th, 2019
- It's artificial intelligence to the rescue (and response and recovery) - GreenBiz - December 18th, 2019
- Schlumberger inks deal to expand artificial intelligence in the oil field - Chron - December 18th, 2019
- Boschs A.I.-powered tech could prevent accidents by staring at you - Digital Trends - December 18th, 2019
- New Solar Estimator Shows How AI Will Transform the Home Improvement - AiThority - December 18th, 2019
- 8 Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Cloud Predictions To Watch in 2020 - Irish Tech News - December 18th, 2019
- Joint Artificial Intelligence Center Director tells Naval War College audience to 'Dive In' on AI - What'sUpNewp - December 18th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence: The rising star of education - Daily Sabah - December 3rd, 2019
- Asia-Pacific Digital Transformation Markets 2019-2024: Focus on 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Opinion | The artificial intelligence frontier of economic theory - Livemint - December 3rd, 2019
- Seminar - Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Young People - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2019
- Triple your CX impact with artificial intelligence and these five tactics - CXNetwork - December 3rd, 2019
- BioSig Technologies Announces New Collaboration on Development of Artificial Intelligence Solutions in Healthcare - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Amazon makes three major AI announcements during re:Invent 2019 - AI News - December 3rd, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence on humans - Bangkok Post - December 3rd, 2019
- What Jobs Will Artificial Intelligence Affect? - EHS Today - December 3rd, 2019