For many, just mentioning artificial intelligence brings up mental images of sentient robots at war with mankind and mans struggle to avoid the endangered species list. While this may one day be a real scenario for when (perhaps a big if?) mankind ever creates an artificial general intelligence (AGI), the more pressing matter is whether embedded software developers should be embracing or fearing the use of artificial intelligence in their systems. Here are five reasons why you may want to include machine learning in your next project.
Reason #1 Marketing Buzz
From an engineering perspective, including a technology or methodology in a design simply because it has marketing buzz is something that every engineer should fight. The fact though is that if there is a buzz around something, odds are it will in the end help to sell the product better. Technology marketing seems to come in cycles, but there are always underlying themes that are driving those cycles that at the end of the day do turn out to be real.
Artificial intelligence has progressed through the years, with deep learning on the way. (Image source: Oracle)
Machine learning has a ton of buzz around it right now. Im finding this year that had industry events, machine learning typically makes up at least 25% of the event talks. Ive had several clients tell me that they need machine learning in their product and when I ask them their use case and why they need it, the answer is just that they need it. Ive heard this same story from dozens of colleagues, but the push for machine learning seems relentless right now. The driver is not necessarily engineering, but simply leveraging industry buzz to sell product.
Reason #2 The Hardware Can Support It
Its truly amazing how much microcontroller and application processors have changed in just the last few years. Microcontrollers which I have always considered to be resource constrained devices are now supporting megabytes of flash and RAM, having on-board cache and reaching system clock rates of 1 GHz and beyond! These little controllers are now even supporting DSP instructions which means that they can efficiently execute inferences.
With the amount of computing power available on these processors, it may not require much additional cost on the BOM to be able to support machine learning. If theres no added cost, and the marketing department is pushing for it, then leveraging machine learning might make sense simply because the hardware can support it!
Reason #3 It May Simplify Development
Machine learning has risen on the buzz charts for a reason. It has become a nearly indispensable tool for the IoT and the cloud. Machine learning can dramatically simplify software development. For example, have you ever tried to code up an application that can recognize gestures, handwriting or classify objects? These are really simple problems for a human brain to solve, but extremely difficult to write a program for. In certain program domains such as voice recognition, image classification and predictive maintenance, machine learning can dramatically simplify the development process and speed-up development.
With an ever expanding IoT and more data than one could ever hope for, its becoming far easier to classify large datasets and then train a model to use that information to generate the desired outcome for the system. In the past, developers may have had configuration values or acceptable operation bars that were constantly checked during runtime. These often involved lots of testing and a fair amount guessing. Through machine learning this can all be avoided by providing the data, developing a model and then deploying the inference on an embedded systems.
Reason #4 To Expand Your Solution Toolbox
One aspect of engineering that I absolutely love is that the tools and technologies that we use to solve problems and development products is always changing. Just look at how you developed an embedded one, three and five years ago! While some of your approaches have undoubtedly stayed constant, there should have been considerable improvements and additions to your processes that have improved your efficiency and the way that you solve problems.
Leveraging machine learning is yet another tool to add to the toolbox that in time, will prove to be an indispensable tool for developing embedded systems. However, that tool will never be sharpened if developers dont start to learn about, evaluate and use that tool. While it may not make sense to deploy a machine learning solution for a product today or even next year, understanding how it applies to your product and customers, the advantages and disadvantages can help to ensure that when the technology is more mature, that it will be easier to leverage for product development.
Real Value Will Follow the Marketing Buzz
There are a lot of reasons to start using machine learning in your next design cycle. While I believe marketing buzz is one of the biggest driving forces for tinyML right now, I also believe that real applications are not far behind and that developers need to start experimenting today if they are going to be successful tomorrow. While machine learning for embedded holds great promise, there are several issues that I think should strike a little bit of fear into the cautious developer such as:
These are concerns for a later time though, once weve mastered just getting our new tool to work the way that we expect it to.
Jacob Beningo is an embedded software consultant who currently works with clients in more than a dozen countries to dramatically transform their businesses by improving product quality, cost and time to market. He has published more than 200 articles on embedded software development techniques, is a sought-after speaker and technical trainer, and holds three degrees which include a Masters of Engineering from the University of Michigan. Feel free to contact him at [emailprotected], at his website, and sign-up for his monthly Embedded Bytes Newsletter.
January 28-30:North America's largest chip, board, and systems event,DesignCon, returns to Silicon Valleyfor its 25th year!The premier educational conference and technology exhibition, this three-day event brings together the brightest minds across the high-speed communications and semiconductor industries, who are looking to engineer the technology of tomorrow. DesignCon is your rocket to the future. Ready to come aboard?Register to attend!
- Why Neuro-Symbolic Artificial Intelligence Is The AI Of The Future - Digital Trends - January 5th, 2020
- Welcome to the roaring 2020s, the artificial intelligence decade - GreenBiz - January 5th, 2020
- Top five projections in Artificial Intelligence for 2020 - Economic Times - January 5th, 2020
- A reality check on artificial intelligence: Can it match the hype? - PhillyVoice.com - January 5th, 2020
- Can medical artificial intelligence live up to the hype? - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- Illinois regulates artificial intelligence like HireVues used to analyze online job Interviews - Vox.com - January 5th, 2020
- How This Cofounder Created An Artificial Intelligence Styling Company To Help Consumers Shop - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Takes on Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - January 5th, 2020
- Baidu looks to work with Indian institutions on AI - BusinessLine - January 5th, 2020
- Top Movies Of 2019 That Depicted Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Analytics India Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Shocking ways AI technology will revolutionise every day industries in YOUR lifetime - Express.co.uk - January 5th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence takes scam to a whole new level - The Jackson Sun - January 5th, 2020
- Global Industrial Artificial Intelligence Market 2019 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2024 - Food &... - January 5th, 2020
- IIT Hyderabad to collaborate with Telangana government on artificial intelligence - India Today - January 5th, 2020
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - January 5th, 2020
- Revisiting the rise of A.I.: How far has artificial intelligence come since 2010? - Digital Trends - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence is helping us talk to animals (yes, really) - Wired.co.uk - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies Previously Unknown Features Associated with Cancer Recurrence - Imaging Technology News - December 30th, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Rushing Into Patient Care - And Could Raise Risks - Scientific American - December 30th, 2019
- Quantum leap: Why we first need to focus on the ethical challenges of artificial intelligence - Economic Times - December 30th, 2019
- In 2020, lets stop AI ethics-washing and actually do something - MIT Technology Review - December 30th, 2019
- The Power Of Purpose: How We Counter Hate Used Artificial Intelligence To Battle Hate Speech Online - Forbes - December 30th, 2019
- The skills needed to land the hottest tech job of 2020 - Business Insider Nordic - December 30th, 2019
- In the 2020s, human-level A.I. will arrive, and finally ace the Turing test - Inverse - December 30th, 2019
- Samsung to announce its Neon artificial intelligence project at CES 2020 - Firstpost - December 30th, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything - HowStuffWorks - December 26th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence jobs on the rise, along with everything else AI - ZDNet - December 26th, 2019
- Why Cognitive Technology May Be A Better Term Than Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- What Is The Artificial Intelligence Of Things? When AI Meets IoT - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- One key to artificial intelligence on the battlefield: trust - C4ISRNet - December 26th, 2019
- How is Artificial Intelligence (AI) Changing the Future of Architecture? - AiThority - December 26th, 2019
- Who will really dominate artificial intelligence capabilities in the future? - Tech Wire Asia - December 26th, 2019
- For Telangana, 2020 will be year of artificial intelligence - BusinessLine - December 26th, 2019
- Chanukah and the Battle of Artificial Intelligence - The Ultimate Victory of the Human Being - Chabad.org - December 26th, 2019
- AI-based health app: Putting patients first - ETHealthworld.com - December 26th, 2019
- Fels backs calls to use artificial intelligence as wage-theft detector - The Age - December 26th, 2019
- China should step up regulation of artificial intelligence in finance, think tank says - Reuters - December 26th, 2019
- Law must be adapted for the Fourth Industrial Revolution | TheHill - The Hill - December 26th, 2019
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - December 21st, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence, Foresight, and the Offense-Defense Balance - War on the Rocks - December 21st, 2019
- Finland offers crash course in artificial intelligence to EU - The Associated Press - December 21st, 2019
- 7 tips to get your resume past the robots reading it - CNBC - December 21st, 2019
- The Machines Are Learning, and So Are the Students - The New York Times - December 21st, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Humanizing the Healthcare Industry - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 21st, 2019
- Zebra Medical Vision Announces Agreement With DePuy Synthes to Deploy Cloud Based Artificial Intelligence Orthopaedic Surgical Planning Tools -... - December 21st, 2019
- Top Artificial Intelligence Books Released In 2019 That You Must Read - Analytics India Magazine - December 21st, 2019
- Why video games and board games arent a good measure of AI intelligence - The Verge - December 21st, 2019
- New Findings Show Artificial Intelligence Software Improves Breast Cancer Detection and Physician Accuracy - P&T Community - December 21st, 2019
- Tommie Experts: Ethically Educating on Artificial Intelligence at St. Thomas - University of St. Thomas Newsroom - December 21st, 2019
- Artificial intelligence predictions for 2020: 16 experts have their say - Verdict - December 21st, 2019
- Beethovens unfinished tenth symphony to be completed by artificial intelligence - Classic FM - December 21st, 2019
- Innovations in Artificial Intelligence, Cloud, Blockchain, and Analytics, 2019: Advances in AI, Blockchain, and Business Intelligence -... - December 19th, 2019
- Innovations in Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, IoT, and Analytics, 2019 Study - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - December 19th, 2019
- Military Applications of Artificial Intelligence - Ethics Project Now Funded - Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) - December 19th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence might be a factor behind the Climate Change - Digital Information World - December 19th, 2019
- Tech experts agree its time to regulate artificial intelligence if only it were that simple - GeekWire - December 19th, 2019
- Latest Innovations in Wound Care, Ophthalmic Devices, and Artificial Intelligence-enabled Diagnostics, 2019 Research Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 19th, 2019
- Innovations in Radar-on-Chip, Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging Systems, Artificial Intelligence, and In-vehicle Sensing Solutions, 2019 Study -... - December 19th, 2019
- Ume University: Master all areas of Artificial Intelligence - Study International News - December 19th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence must be used with care - The Australian Financial Review - December 19th, 2019
- Accountability is the key to ethical artificial intelligence, experts say - ComputerWeekly.com - December 19th, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence in the banking sector & how AI is being used in 2020 - Business Insider India - December 19th, 2019
- 8 Tools: How To Think About Artificial Intelligence In The Music Industry - hypebot.com - December 19th, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Reshaping the Future of Stock Picking - InsideHook - December 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Solutions and Market Opportunities to 2024: A Comprehensive 10-Report Research Bundle - Yahoo Finance - December 18th, 2019
- It's artificial intelligence to the rescue (and response and recovery) - GreenBiz - December 18th, 2019
- Schlumberger inks deal to expand artificial intelligence in the oil field - Chron - December 18th, 2019
- Boschs A.I.-powered tech could prevent accidents by staring at you - Digital Trends - December 18th, 2019
- New Solar Estimator Shows How AI Will Transform the Home Improvement - AiThority - December 18th, 2019
- 8 Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Cloud Predictions To Watch in 2020 - Irish Tech News - December 18th, 2019
- Joint Artificial Intelligence Center Director tells Naval War College audience to 'Dive In' on AI - What'sUpNewp - December 18th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence: The rising star of education - Daily Sabah - December 3rd, 2019
- Asia-Pacific Digital Transformation Markets 2019-2024: Focus on 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Opinion | The artificial intelligence frontier of economic theory - Livemint - December 3rd, 2019
- Seminar - Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Young People - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2019
- Triple your CX impact with artificial intelligence and these five tactics - CXNetwork - December 3rd, 2019
- BioSig Technologies Announces New Collaboration on Development of Artificial Intelligence Solutions in Healthcare - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Amazon makes three major AI announcements during re:Invent 2019 - AI News - December 3rd, 2019
- The impact of artificial intelligence on humans - Bangkok Post - December 3rd, 2019