"Artificial intelligence" might sound like an overused buzzword to many people. But astute investors know AI is already positively changing the way companies all over the world do business.
With that in mind, we asked three top Motley Fool contributors to each discuss an artificial intelligence stock you should be watching closely this month. Read on to see why they chose Facebook (NASDAQ:FB), Visa (NYSE:V), and Alphabet (NASDAQ:GOOG) (NASDAQ:GOOGL).
IMAGE SOURCE: GETTY IMAGES.
Steve Symington (Facebook): Facebook is set to release first-quarter 2019 results next Wednesday, April 24, 2019, and what's contained in the report will help set the tone for both the online advertising and broader tech industries. Shares of the social media juggernaut are already up 36% so far in 2018 -- albeit after plunging 26% last year as it traversed a difficult combination of data-privacy scandals, the spread of misinformation on its platforms, and concerns over decelerating top-line growth as Facebook builds on a larger base. With the help of AI, Facebook is striving to address those concerns.
That said, Facebook management did offer some color on what to expect during the January conference call, namely that first-quarter revenue growth should decelerate by a mid-single-digit-percent range (from 30% in Q4 2018). To that end -- and though we don't usually pay close attention to Wall Street's demands -- most analysts see the company delivering earnings of $1.63 per share on a 25.1% increase in revenue, to $14.97 billion.
Just as important will be the trends underlying that growth. Last quarter, the company saw daily and monthly active users each climb 9%, to 1.52 billion and 2.32 billion, respectively, and roughly 2.7 billion people hopped on at least one of its platforms -- including Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger -- every month. If Facebook is seeing success with its recent efforts to combat last year's problems and win back the trust of the public, we should hope to see its number of users continue to steadily climb.
Anders Bylund (Visa): Payment-processing veteran Visa may not be the first company that springs to mind in a discussion about artificial intelligence, but maybe it should. Take this snippet from a management presentation at a recent industry conference:
"The services that we offer that are extremely high value-added and in many ways have economics that are very similar to our core business and very much leverage of core business or things like risks services, fraud management and all that, authentication services, data analytics where we continue to add to our capabilities with AI," said CFO Vasant Prabhu, according to a transcript compiled by Seeking Alpha. "We've always been doing machine learning, especially on fraud."
Yep, you can thank artificial intelligence for the fraud warnings that drop in whenever your card issuer finds suspicious activity in your credit card accounts. Visa and its peers have actually been on the bleeding edge of AI tools in practical use for many years. These antifraud processes should continue improving over time as Visa takes advantage of more advanced technologies, ranging from neural networks to blockchain transactions.
Visa is gearing up for a second-quarter earnings report next Wednesday. AI probably won't be a big talking point in that presentation, but you can rest assured that Visa takes advantage of the technology in a big way and will only continue to deepen its machine learning roots.
Chris Neiger (Alphabet): Alphabet makes the bulk of its revenue by selling ads across its various Google services platforms, but the company is also an artificial intelligence powerhouse, and it's making considerable investments in AI now -- so it can benefit later.
Take, for example, Alphabet's self-driving vehicle company Waymo. The company has logged more than 10 million miles of autonomous driving, and at the end of 2018, Waymo launched one of the first commercial self-driving car services in the country. Without AI, Waymo's vehicles wouldn't be able to navigate traffic, avoid pedestrians, or learn from past driving experiences. The company stands to benefit from this AI pursuit by licensing some of its tech to other companies and selling its own services, all of which could help Waymo generate nearly $100 billion in sales over the next decade.
Autonomous vehicles aren't Alphabet's only AI bet though. Alphabet also owns DeepMind, an artificial-intelligence tech company that's already proving itself invaluable. Just last month, DeepMind used some of its machine learning algorithms to predict when some of Google's wind farms would produce the most wind, thereby generating the most energy, and scheduled some of the energy to be sent back to the electric grid. Why is this important? Because AI-powered tools like this are poised to help add $15.7 trillion to the global economy by 2030 by creating new services and making existing ones more efficient. Imagine the same tech being used not just for Google's wind farms but in power grids across the country.
With Alphabet already knee deep in developing the AI tools and services that will make our lives more efficient, investors should consider snatching up shares of this tech giant now.
In today's fast-changing technology world, we certainly can't guarantee that any given stock will go on to deliver outsized returns and beat the market in the process. But with the help of AI, it appears Facebook, Visa, and Alphabet could be poised to do exactly that. And we think at the very least, investors would do well to add these stocks to their watch lists this month.
The rest is here:
- Break into artificial intelligence with this four-course ... - July 13th, 2020
- New Report from Corinium and FICO Signals Increased Demand for Artificial Intelligence in the Age of COVID-19 - PRNewswire - July 13th, 2020
- Burden of COVID-19 on the Market & Rehabilitation Plan | Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market in Manufacturing Industry 2019-2023 | The Increasing... - July 13th, 2020
- Where it Counts, U.S. Leads in Artificial Intelligence - Department of Defense - July 13th, 2020
- The path to real-world artificial intelligence - TechRepublic - July 13th, 2020
- Healthcare Artificial Intelligence Market Analysis Of Global Trends, Demand And Competition 2020-2028 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- The journey that organizations should embark on to realize the true potential of AI - The Indian Express - July 13th, 2020
- Commentary: Artificial intelligence and automation would actually benefit Singapore - CNA - July 13th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Innovations Induced Industrywide Advancements? - Analytics Insight - July 13th, 2020
- Break into artificial intelligence with this four-course online training for $35 - ZDNet - July 13th, 2020
- Integrating Artificial Intelligence in Treatment Planning - Imaging Technology News - July 13th, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Industry Market Trend Analysis and Major Factors Forecast Report till 2025 - CueReport - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Transportation Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence In Transportation Market 2020: Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Key Players, Growth Trends and Forecast Till 2025 - Apsters... - July 13th, 2020
- High Growth of Steady Explore Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Construction Market size, Growth analysis & forecast report to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 13th, 2020
- Enterprise Artificial Intelligence Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape,... - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Construction Market will drastically increase in the Future | brandessenceresearch.biz - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Top 12 Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Impact Healthcare - July 12th, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence to Address Criminal Justice ... - July 12th, 2020
- Augmented Intelligence is the New Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- MULTIMEDIA UPDATE - New Research Reveals Adoption and Implementation of Artificial Intelligence in the Enterprise - GlobeNewswire - July 12th, 2020
- trusted computing artificial intelligence (AI) information warfare - Military & Aerospace Electronics - July 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence will aid in better decision-making capacity - Livemint - July 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis - Artificial Intelligence Platforms Market 2020-2024 | Rise in Demand for AI-based Solutions to Boost Growth |... - July 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Artificial Intelligence: How the pandemic has re-ignited a focus on the software - Savannah Morning News - July 12th, 2020
- Second plenary meeting of the Ad Hoc Committee on Artificial Intelligence (CAHAI) - Council of Europe - July 12th, 2020
- LI startup predicts where COVID-19 will spike - Newsday - July 12th, 2020
- How Innovation is Changing the Artificial Intelligence in Telecommunication Market - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- AI In Human Resources To AI or not to AI? - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- Ardigen Enters Into Research Collaboration With CVC to Apply Artificial Intelligence for Identification of T-cell Targets - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2020
- 'Make in India': Artificial Intelligence Company, AiBridge ML, Adds Handwriting and Image Recognition Capabilities to AiMunshi, the Popular Financial... - July 12th, 2020
- CORRECTION - OMNIQs Artificial Intelligence-Based Quest Shield Solution Selected by the Talmudical Academy of Baltimore - Financialbuzz.com - July 12th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Could Lead to Better Investment Decisions - Barron's - July 12th, 2020
- European Parliament names MEPs on artificial intelligence, cancer plan and foreign interference committees - Science Business - July 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: worth the hype? - BusinessCloud - July 12th, 2020
- The Amalgamation of Human Brain and Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- Latest Trends in the Field of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 11th, 2020
- The main beneficiaries of artificial intelligence success are IT departments themselves - ZDNet - July 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Market is Anticipated to Cross US$ 15 Billion By 2025 MRE Analysis - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- Charting the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Shipping - BBN Times - July 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Education System Market: Revenue Growth and Applications Insights till 2030 - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis | Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market In BFSI Sector 2019-2023 | Focus On Autonomous Banking to Boost Growth |... - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Powered COVID-19 Diagnosis Tool to Seek Lung Scan Images from India - The Weather Channel - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence should be used to augment human creativity - not replace it - Bizcommunity.com - July 8th, 2020
- Forums held ahead of World Artificial Intelligence Conference - Chinadaily USA - July 8th, 2020
- VeChain Is Attending the World Artificial Intelligence Conference 2020 Hosted - AiThority - July 8th, 2020
- ContractPodAi and Bowmans Partner to Bring Artificial Intelligence-Powered Contract Management to the African Market - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- How Machine Learning Will Impact the Future of Software Development and Testing - ReadWrite - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Definition - Investopedia - May 31st, 2020
- The Temptations Of Artificial Intelligence Technology And The Price Of Admission - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence offers a chance to optimize COVID-19 treatment in international partnership - Vanderbilt University News - May 31st, 2020
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 31st, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is hopelessly biased - and that's how it will stay - TechRadar India - May 31st, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 31st, 2020
- Art and artifice - The Indian Express - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence software improves accuracy, doubles speed in evaluating CT scans of advanced cancer - UAB News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 31st, 2020
- The Use of Artificial Intelligence by Investment Advisers: Considerations Based on an Advisers Fiduciary Duties - JD Supra - May 31st, 2020
- Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Infrastructures job with UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL | 208485 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 31st, 2020
- Walmart Employees Are Out to Show Its Anti-Shoplifting AI Doesn't Work - WIRED - May 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 31st, 2020
- IIT-Ropar and TSW Launch a PG Programme in Artificial Intelligence - THE WEEK - May 31st, 2020
- MS in Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence - May 19th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? | Azure Blog and Updates ... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are the Advantages of Artificial Intelligence ... - May 19th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - May 19th, 2020
- It's Called Artificial Intelligencebut What Is Intelligence? - WIRED - May 19th, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 19th, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence-based imaging reconstruction may lead to incorrect diagnoses, experts caution - Radiology Business - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Covid Frontline - Morningstar - May 19th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 19th, 2020