Artificial intelligence is present in everyday life, from booking flights and applying for loans to steering driverless cars. It is also used in specialized fields such as cancer screening or to help create inclusive environments for the disabled.
According to UNESCO, AI is also supporting the decision-making of governments and the private sector, as well as helping combat global problems such as climate change and world hunger.
However, the agency warns that the technology is bringing unprecedented challenges.
We see increased gender and ethnic bias, significant threats to privacy, dignity and agency, dangers of mass surveillance, and increased use of unreliable Articificial Intellegence technologies in law enforcement, to name a few. Until now, there were no universal standards to provide an answer to these issues, UNESCO explained in a statement.
Considering this, the adopted text aims to guide the construction of the necessary legal infrastructure to ensure the ethical development of this technology.
The world needs rules for artificial intelligence to benefit humanity. The Recommendation on the ethics of AI is a major answer. It sets the first global normative framework while giving States the responsibility to apply it at their level. UNESCO will support its 193 Member states in its implementation and ask them to report regularly on their progress and practices, said UNESCO chief Audrey Azoulay.
The increase in data is key to advances made in artificial intelligence.
The text aims to highlight the advantages of AI, while reducing the risks it also entails. According to the agency, it provides a guide to ensure that digital transformations promote human rights and contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, addressing issues around transparency, accountability and privacy, with action-oriented policy chapters on data governance, education, culture, labour, healthcare and the economy.
One of its main calls is to protect data, going beyond what tech firms and governments are doing to guarantee individuals more protection by ensuring transparency, agency and control over their personal data. The Recommendation also explicitly bans the use of AI systems for social scoring and mass surveillance.
The text also emphasises that AI actors should favour data, energy and resource-efficient methods that will help ensure that AI becomes a more prominent tool in the fight against climate change and in tackling environmental issues.
Decisions impacting millions of people should be fair, transparent and contestable. These new technologies must help us address the major challenges in our world today, such as increased inequalities and the environmental crisis, and not deepening them. said Gabriela Ramos, UNESCOs Assistant Director General for Social and Human Sciences.
You can read the full text of the decisionhere.
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI) ? | IBM - January 31st, 2023
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | Oracle - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial intelligence | NIST - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, Types, Applications ... - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - INL - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): What it is and why it matters - January 31st, 2023
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) - United States Department of State - January 31st, 2023
- Shaping the Future of Artificial Intelligence AI: The Significance of Prompt Engineering for Progress and Innovation - MarkTechPost - January 31st, 2023
- A European approach to artificial intelligence | Shaping Europes ... - December 30th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence | Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science ... - December 30th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine | IBM - December 14th, 2022
- The Wild Future of Artificial Intelligence - The Atlantic - December 14th, 2022
- The Increased Spending On Defense Will Propel The AI in Military Market Size To More Than $11 Billion By 2026 As Per The Business Research Company's... - December 14th, 2022
- #Meta Announced That It Has Expanded Its Artificial Intelligence Face-scanning Tool ... - Latest Tweet by - LatestLY - December 6th, 2022
- NASA Sets Launch Date for Mission to $10 Quintillion Asteroid - November 4th, 2022
- Greta Thunberg Says UN Climate Conference Is a Scam and She's Not Attending - November 4th, 2022
- Twitter Working on Plan to Charge Users to Watch Videos - November 4th, 2022
- There's Something Strange About How These Stars Are Moving, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- Manslaughter Case Has a Strange Twist: Tesla That Killed Couple Was on Autopilot - November 4th, 2022
- Cats May Be Tampering With Crime Scenes, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Huge Drone Swarm to Form Giant Advertisement Over NYC Skyline - November 4th, 2022
- Elon Musk Meeting With Advertisers, Begging Them Not to Leave Twitter - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Found a Way to Control How High Mice Got on Cocaine - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Spot "Stripped, Pulsating Core" of Star Caused By Horrific Accident - November 4th, 2022
- US Gov to Crack Down on "Bossware" That Spies On Employees' Computers - November 4th, 2022
- China Plans to Send Monkeys to Space Station to Have Sex With Each Other - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Use Actual Lunar Soil Sample to Create Rocket Fuel - November 4th, 2022
- AOC Says Her Twitter Account Broke After She Made Fun of Elon Musk - November 4th, 2022
- Jeff Bezos' Housekeeper Says She Had to Climb Out the Window to Use the Bathroom - November 4th, 2022
- Chinese Spaceplane Releases Mystery Object Into Orbit - November 4th, 2022
- Hackers Just Took Down One of the World's Most Advanced Telescopes - November 4th, 2022
- That "Research" About How Smartphones Are Causing Deformed Human Bodies Is SEO Spam, You Idiots - November 4th, 2022
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | IBM - October 19th, 2022
- Samsung Electronics Explores Future of AI Research - October 19th, 2022
- Eyenuk Raises $26M for AI-Powered Eye Screening & Predictive Biomarkers - October 19th, 2022
- 'State of AI in the Enterprise' Fifth Edition Uncovers Four Key Actions to Maximize AI Value - PR Newswire - October 19th, 2022
- VIDEO: Role of AI in breast imaging with radiomics, detection of breast density and lesions - Health Imaging - October 19th, 2022
- Has There Been A Second AI Big Bang? - Forbes - October 19th, 2022
- Microsoft's GitHub Copilot AI is making rapid progress. Here's how its human leader thinks about it - CNBC - October 19th, 2022
- Nouriel Roubini: Why AI poses a threat to millions of workers - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2022
- What the White House's 'AI Bill of Rights' blueprint could mean for HR tech - HR Dive - October 19th, 2022
- Red Hat and IBM Research Advance IT Automation with AI-Powered Capabilities for Ansible - Business Wire - October 19th, 2022
- Google TV is getting parent-controlled watchlists and AI-powered suggestions for kids - TechCrunch - October 19th, 2022
- AI-powered government finances: making the most of data and machines - Global Government Forum - October 19th, 2022
- DigestAIs 19-year-old founder wants to make education addictive - TechCrunch - October 19th, 2022
- Joe Rogan and Steve Jobs Have a 20-Minute Chat in AI-Powered Podcast - HYPEBEAST - October 19th, 2022
- Artificially Intelligent? The Pros and Cons of Using AI Content on Your Law Firms Website - JD Supra - October 19th, 2022
- The Regulation of Artificial Intelligence in Canada and Abroad: Comparing the Proposed AIDA and EU AI Act - Fasken - October 19th, 2022
- Misinformation research relies on AI and lots of scrolling - NPR - October 19th, 2022
- Ai-Da the robot sums up the flawed logic of Lords debate on AI - The Guardian - October 19th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence Regulation Updates: China, EU, and U.S - The National Law Review - August 5th, 2022
- Artificial intelligence isn't that intelligent | The Strategist - The Strategist - August 5th, 2022
- Can artificial intelligence really help us talk to the animals? - The Guardian - August 5th, 2022
- Researchers use artificial intelligence to create a treasure map of undiscovered ant species - EurekAlert - August 5th, 2022
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Diagnosis Market Research Report 2022: Rising Adoption of Healthcare Artificial Intelligence in Research... - August 5th, 2022
- Elon Musk and Silicon Valley's Overreliance on Artificial Intelligence - The Wire - August 5th, 2022
- High Five: Artificial Intelligence-Generated Campaigns and Experiments | LBBOnline - Little Black Book - LBBonline - August 5th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence In Insurtech Market Is Expected to Boom- Cognizant, Next IT Corp, Kasisto - Digital Journal - August 5th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence is the Future of the Banking Industry Are You Prepared for It? - International Banker - August 5th, 2022
- Some Idiot Asked The Dall.E mini Artificial Intelligence Program What The Last Selfies Of Humans Will Look Like And Good News, We're Definitely Headed... - August 5th, 2022
- Can Artificial Intelligence Be Creative? - Discovery Institute - June 29th, 2022
- Worldwide Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drug Discovery Market to reach $ 4.0 billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 45.7% - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - June 29th, 2022
- Glorikian's New Book Sheds Light on Artificial Intelligence Advances in the Healthcare Field - The Armenian Mirror-Spectator - June 29th, 2022
- Deep Dive Into Advanced AI and Machine Learning at The Behavox Artificial Intelligence in Compliance and Security Conference - Business Wire - June 29th, 2022
- What's Your Future of Work Path With Artificial Intelligence? - CMSWire - June 29th, 2022
- How artificial intelligence is boosting crop yield to feed the world - Freethink - June 29th, 2022
- Taking the guesswork out of dental care with artificial intelligence - MIT News - June 29th, 2022
- IT, Computing and Communications (ITCC) Technology Innovations/Growth Opportunities Report 2022 with Focus on Cloud, Artificial Intelligence, and Edge... - June 29th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in Education Market Size, Scope and Forecast | Google Inc., Microsoft Corporation, eGain Corporation, QlikTech International... - June 29th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in Medical Imaging Market Analysis by Trends, Demand, Products and Technology Forecast to 2028 Designer Women - Designer... - June 29th, 2022
- Lockheed testing artificial intelligence to fight wildfires - FOX 31 Denver - May 12th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning and the Future of National Security - smallwarsjournal - May 12th, 2022
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach US$341.4 Billion by the Year 2027 - Yahoo Finance - May 12th, 2022
- Why artificial intelligence is vital in the race to meet the SDGs - World Economic Forum - May 12th, 2022
- Glean Named to Forbes AI 50 List of Top Artificial Intelligence Companies of 2022 - Yahoo Finance - May 12th, 2022
- Can Artificial Intelligence remove unintended bias from health care? Clinicians optimistic, but wary - Medical University of South Carolina - May 12th, 2022
- Living in the age of conscious-technology An interview with artificial intelligence innovator, Matthew James Bailey - Crestone Eagle - May 12th, 2022
- Predicting Others Behavior on the Road With Artificial Intelligence - SciTechDaily - May 12th, 2022