If you’ve been fortunate to live in the parts of the US that were soggier than usually as of late – or unfortunate enough to have had flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms – then you’ve be noticing a tremendous burst of mushrooms.
For mycologists – mushroom enthusiasts – there are two classic chestnuts: “There are old mushroom collectors and bold mushrooms collectors, but there are no old, bold mushroom collectors.”
Or, in a more concise Croatian proverb, “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.”
As such, this is the time of year that emergency rooms and regional poison centers begin to see a burst in poisonings from mushroom ingestion, due primarily to amateur misidentification of the fruiting bodies.
Just this past week, Jason McClure at Medscape Oncology News (free reg req’d) wrote about in the northeastern US and the concomitant bloom of mushroom poisonings this fall.
But “mushroom poisoning” is an imprecise diagnosis for the ER physician. The constellation of symptoms caused by toxic mushrooms is as diverse as the colors and shapes of these wonders of nature. From another Medscape article on by Dr. Rania Habal from the Emergency Medicine department of NYU:
Mushrooms are best classified by the physiologic and clinical effects of their poisons. The traditional time-based classification of mushrooms into an early/low toxicity group and a delayed/high toxicity group may be inadequate. Additionally, many mushroom syndromes develop soon after ingestion. For example, most of the neurotoxic syndromes, the Coprinus syndrome (ie, concomitant ingestion of alcohol and coprine), the immunoallergic and immunohemolytic syndromes, and most of the GI intoxications occur within the first 6 hours after ingestion.
Ingestions most likely to require intensive medical care involve mushrooms that contain cytotoxic substances such as amatoxin, gyromitrin, and orellanine. Mushrooms that contain involutin may cause a life-threatening immune-mediated hemolysis with hemoglobinuria and renal failure. Inhalation of spores of Lycoperdon species may result in bronchoalveolitis and respiratory failure that requires mechanical ventilation.
Mushrooms that contain the GI irritants psilocybin, ibotenic acid, muscimol, and muscarine may cause critical illness in specific groups of people (eg, young persons, elderly persons). Hallucinogenic mushrooms may also result in major trauma and require care in an intensive care setting. Lastly, coprine-containing mushrooms cause severe illness only when combined with alcohol (ie, Coprinus syndrome).
Among the poisonous mushrooms, Amanita phalloides is perhaps the most deadly. If you’ve spent any time in a biochemical laboratory you will have learned of the primary toxin of the mushroom, α-amanitin. This potency of this toxin comes from its remarkably high affinity for RNA polymerase II, the primary RNA polymerase for making messages that are converted into proteins.
The challenge in treating α-amanitin poisoning is that it has a relatively long half-life in the body because it is conjugated with glucuronic acid in the liver and secreted in the bile. But then microbes that normally inhabit our gut cleave the glucuronide sugar molecule off the toxin, released the toxic α-amanitin.
Throughout the history of folk medicine in the Middle East and Europe, extracts of the seeds of milk thistle (Silybum marianum) were determined to have protective effects against liver toxins. I’m still not terribly pleased with understanding the history of how this came about but answering this question is one of my liberal arts pursuits. As an aside, I should make the disclosure that my laboratory and colleagues have been investigating the anticancer effects of compounds from milk thistle and still receive NIH funding to do so; however, I do not (yet) study how milk thistle compounds prevent liver toxicity.
Nevertheless, milk thistle products are quite popular in Europe and the US for the general prevention of liver toxicity from statins, acetaminophen, and alcohol. Several of my friends have joked that one could make create a successful market for an alcoholic product containing milk thistle extract.
But one of the primary roadblocks in using milk thistle extracts or pure compounds for any indication is that the compounds have rather poor bioavailability. The seven major flavonolignans and one flavonoid in the typical extracts are very avidly conjugated by glucuronidation. In studies by collabortors at the University of Colorado, we now know that it takes daily doses of approximately 10-13 grams of milk thistle extract to achieve plasma concentrations consistent with known anticancer effects in vitro. It can be done, but it means taking much more than the typical 180 mg capsules you can buy at your local health food store.
However, an intravenous preparation of milk thistle extract has been available in Europe for over 20 years: Legalon SIL. This GMP-manufactured product is common to emergency rooms in Germany, France, and Belgium for the treatment of mushroom poisoning. The preparation is comprised of silybin A and silybin B – known collectively as silibinin – as a hemisuccinate that both improves the solubility and bioavailability of the compounds.
Two cases in the US – one in 2007 and another just this past month – have seen emergency IND approval of this European product. In 2007, Legalon was used to save four of five family members who had ingested Amanita phalloides while on a New Year’s Day picnic outside of Santa Cruz, California. And just last month, a team led by Dr. Jacqueline Laurin at Georgetown Medical Center Georgetown is now an approved referral center for this IV prep of Legalon and their efforts were greatly assisted by the Santa Cruz team who handled the 2007 cases.
Less satisfying to me is the mechanism by which silybin A and silybin B protect the liver from the effects of RNA polymerase II inhibition by α-amanitin. The literature to date seems to converge on the into hepatocytes by silibinin. A German group led by Herbert de Groot in Essen, Germany, published a highly-cited 1996 paper proposing that inhibition of inflammatory mediator release from Kupffer cells (the macrophage of the liver) might partly account for the hepatoprotective effects of silibinin. More recent work continues to address the modulation of inflammation.
Regardless, we are now seeing legitimate use of a medicine from a herbal tradition being used in clinical situations where emergency IRB approval and IND status have been given to such a product. Certainly, these stories may be used by marketers to promote use of their oral milk thistle products. But, as I mentioned earlier, such effects required ingestion of large doses of capsules. Instead, I present this story to SBM readers to illustrate that amidst the wooful promotion of herbal therapies, a few gems exist and are most worthy of our scientific investigation.
<!–<!–(1) the unusual bloom of mushrooms
(2) emergency management of mushroom poisoning
(3) successfully treated two men for accidental ingestion of Amanita.
(4) inhibition of toxin uptake
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
ppsspp monster hunter freedom unite tablet
liberty generator tube
petru aurelian simionescu 2013
NASA comet ison update
Modern marvels regenerative medicine
Dr biochemistry gmail edu
futurists physical therapy
techno fruhstuck correspondence heart beat
- Individualizing Medicine: Benefactor Impact - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Medicine Ball Blues - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Veterinary Medicine and Technology with Brian Walsh - Video - October 1st, 2014
- LCDR David Gribben about Expeditionary Medicine efforts - Video - October 1st, 2014
- What Is Christian Medicine - Video - October 1st, 2014
- MOTHER MEDICINE EDIT - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Natural Medicine Doctor Michigan - Cutler Integrative Medicine - Video - October 1st, 2014
- medicine of lake - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Bioidentical Hormones & Anti-Aging Medicine, Kuala Lumpur - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Vampire Diaries | Medicine - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Athletes Care Sports Medicine Centres Toronto Impressive Five Star Review by... - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Countdown to the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine! - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Weight Loss Medicine Can Be Used With Healthy Weight Loss - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Nicole | scene #18 : Jeff & Ted - A medicine to make people like you? - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Primary Montessori Day School Receive Tribute & Medicine Help By Charles Myrick Of ACRX - Video - October 1st, 2014
- Educare de Spiritus Webinar on the Power of Alternative Medicine and Psychotherapy: the New Paradigm - Video - October 1st, 2014
- New data on financial ties in medicine - October 1st, 2014
- GE Healthcare Goes beyond Traditional Ventilation Solutions at the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine Annual ... - October 1st, 2014
- UI College of Medicine Proposes New Intercampus Ties to Strengthen Bioengineering - October 1st, 2014
- Mountain Medicine ORIGINAL - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Medicine Ball - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Comic Relief for Medicine | Art and Healing - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Best Medicine For Eczema - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Dan Peer seminar on Harnessing RNAi-based nanomedicines for precision medicine - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Total Body Fat Burning Exercises: Medicine Ball Slams | Workout Anywhere - Video - September 30th, 2014
- What Is A Doctor Of Preventive Medicine And Occupational Medicine? - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Homeopathic Medicine For Lice - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Is There Any Safe Herbal Medicine To Stop Premature Ejaculation Problem? - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Old Crow Medicine Show @ RRT - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Watch Dogs Bad Blood Gameplay Walkthrough Part 7 - Bad Medicine (PS4 DLC) - Video - September 30th, 2014
- A Minute of Medicine For Your Mind - So What - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Colonial Life Medicine - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Relay Shelby - Agile App "MEDICINE" (preview) - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Medicine garden in Haripad - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Seashore Organic Medicine Inc. Corporate Update - September 30th, 2014
- Modernizing Medicines Co-founder and CEO Daniel Cane Named a Top Power Leader in Healthcare by South Florida Business ... - September 30th, 2014
- Dr. Loren Friedman joins Virginia Cancer Specialists - September 30th, 2014
- ISTO Technologies to Present at 2014 Stem Cell Meeting on the Mesa - September 30th, 2014
- First mapping that reveals the molecular pathway for MDSC cancer progression - September 30th, 2014
- DHL parcelcopter drone to deliver medicine to remote German island - Video - September 29th, 2014
- FIU Athletic Medicine Facility Tour - Video - September 29th, 2014
- Alan Lee, MD | Santa Monica 15th Street Family Medicine - UCLA Health - Video - September 29th, 2014
- Ann Ryan, MD | Santa Monica 15th Street Family Medicine - UCLA Health - Video - September 29th, 2014
- Personalized Medicine The Glucocorticoid Receptor, David Greenhalgh, M.D. - Video - September 29th, 2014
- About the Turning the Tide Against Cancer Co-Conveners: Personalized Medicine Coalition - Video - September 29th, 2014
- Shift Gib Cod Edit: Medicine - Video - September 29th, 2014
- ~ Medicine MEP //CLOSED ~ - Video - September 29th, 2014
- THE MEDICINE MAN (Full Film/1930) - Video - September 29th, 2014
- Medicine and Eye Care! - Video - September 29th, 2014
- Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine Appoints Dr. Juan Samper to Lead Clinical Training Program - September 29th, 2014
- Keck School of Medicine of USC receives federal Administration on Aging grant to become the National Center on Elder ... - September 29th, 2014
- Daily Dose of Aspirin May Cut Prostate Cancer Risk: Study - September 29th, 2014
- Combating Ageing: from Biotech Printing to Regenerative Medicine - September 29th, 2014
- Online Education For A Doctor Of Medicine Degree - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Focus on Your Health: Performing Arts Medicine, with Dr. Jennifer Yang - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Science 2014: Pharmacogenomics Resource for Implementing Personalized Medicine - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Bjp Show Some Guts, Get A Cbi Probe Done In Medicine Scam - Video - September 28th, 2014
- I FIT Tips: Medicine Ball Toss - Video - September 28th, 2014
- The Aspen Institute for Anti-Aging & Regenerative Medicine - Age Management Program - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Lullaby for Adam- Wagon Wheel (cover) by Old Crow Medicine Show - Video - September 28th, 2014
- moutheater - My Medicine from Aunt Sea - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Reverse Your Diabetes Today - alternative medicine for diabetes - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Art Circle TALENTS 2014 Japura Medicine - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Su Jok acupuncture massage ring demonstration in use (medicine).. Stock Footage - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Medicine Week in Review Eps.52 - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Watch The Best Ways To Grow Your Breasts Without Medicine | Make Your Bust Look Bigger - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Good Medicine RX - Video - September 28th, 2014
- medicine for diabetes - medicine for diabetes - Video - September 28th, 2014
- The Roods of Medicine - Chamber of Tour Guides - Video - September 28th, 2014
- A Full House Rocked with Laughter Thanks to Chris Rock and Will Arnett with $2.5 million raised for Toronto East ... - September 28th, 2014
- Medicine Hat police arrest violent assault suspect - September 28th, 2014
- Medicine Hat police apprehend suspect wanted in connection to violent assault - September 28th, 2014
- Integrative medicine the way forward in effective treatment: Practitioner - September 28th, 2014
- Big Medicine - Memphis In The Meantime - Video - September 27th, 2014
- AMV-Medicine - Video - September 27th, 2014
- Personalized Medicine Amazing Financial Opportunity - Video - September 27th, 2014
- Ep 080, Forming Relationships in Family Medicine - Video - September 27th, 2014
- Top Universities for Life Sciences and Medicine 2014/15 - Video - September 27th, 2014
- Funny David Hasselhoff Outtake Video for Cough Medicine - Video - September 27th, 2014
- Wand Gan, MDMeet Wand Gan, MD, a family medicine physician with The Everett Clinic. Profile V2 - Video - September 27th, 2014