Oct 5, 2012
Johanna Read /Africa Travel, Food Travel, Namibia, South Africa, Travel Abroad /
Leopard (not on the menu). Photo by Johanna Read
Smiley. A lovely word. A not so lovely dish.
Im in southern Africa. This is more of a seeing animals trip than an eating animals trip, but how can I resist the opportunity to eat something Ive never had before?
Many people have told me to keep an eye out for smiley. Cool Im a smiley person, I say. Whats smiley?Im thinking of foodsthat make me smile:dark chocolate and raspberries; lamb-sicles; gelato fromIl Crispinoin Rome; street food in Luang Prabang, Laos; passion fruit anything, twice-fried French fries with truffled ketchup ..
Then Im told smiley is the head of a sheep or a goat, brains and eyeballs included, that is cooked over a fire so that its lips pull back into a smile. Yum.
Hmmmm. Maybe Im not as much of a smiley person as I thought.
Biltongis dried beef (sometimes oryx, kudu or ostrich), similar to beef jerky.Photo by Johanna Read
I meet up with LaurenCohen a new friend originallymet on Twitter to have dinner at one of the many fine restaurants in Cape TownsVictoria and Alfred Waterfront. The Waterfront is both a workingharborand a hub for eating, shopping and entertainment, for tourists and locals alike.Tonight we tryTasca De Belem, which serves authentic Portuguese and Turkish mains and tapas / meze. We sit outside with a view of the quay (with heat lamps and blankets available it is July, i.e. mid-winter,after all). I eat fabulous tuna, barely seared as ordered, with a delicious Portuguese prego sauce garlic, cumin and chili pepper goodness. I love that the sustainability and source of each fish aredescribed on the menu.
Of course the discussion is a lot about food, and about South Africanspecialties and Lauren mentions biltong. Bull tongue?! I ask, thinking of a variation of smiley. No. If youve ever had beef jerky, then youve eaten the very poor cousin of biltong. Biltong is dried beef (sometimes oryx, kudu or ostrich) and comes insausage form as well as thinly sliced. It is way moreflavorfuland much better-textured than beef jerky. Lauren treats us to both from theCity Grill Steakhouse, a couple doors down.
Having gorged myself at dinner, I save the biltong for the next dayspatkos Afrikaans for road food for my trip to the Cape of Good Hope.It is much appreciated after the 159 meter stair climb up to the lighthouse on an empty stomach.
It is surprisingly not that hard to spend your days in Namibian animal reserves looking at game and spend your evenings eating it. No, I didnt eat leopard, cheetah, elephant or anything like that. But oryx, kudu and eland are all delicious. They are all beautiful too (and raisedsustainably).
What do they taste like? No not like chicken! But a lot like beef. The oryx is the most delicious like a dry-aged steak, both lean and juicy at the same time. Maybe a bit like lamb chops. Kudu is similar, but not asflavorfuland drier. And eland even more so.
Ill order oryx again if I ever see it on a menu, but will probably skip the kudu and eland. Theyre better lion food anyway.
Malva pudding from Tasca restaurant. Photo by Johanna Read
Pudding nothing to be nervous about with dessert! Malva pudding a traditional South African dish, adopted from the Dutch is a pudding in the English sense of the word. It is a cake with sauce, served warm,resembling sticky toffee pudding.
Every Malva pudding I try (and there are several)is different. I preferthe warmer stickier ones to the cooler drier ones. The taste is somewhat like a caramel cake. I had to check recipes to see what givesit that uniqueflavor apricot jam of all things. Regardless of where you are in the world, you should be able to find the ingredients to make this one at home (see recipe below).
And the smiley?
Well, lucky for me I never did come across the smiley. After seeing photos I cant say Im too upset over it.
Maggies Malva Pudding (serves 6)
Michael Olivier, Cape Towns Wine and Food Guru, says that this is the benchmark malva pudding recipe. It is by Maggie Pepler and served at the Boschendal Restaurant. For more info see hissite.
Cake:1 cup flour1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)1 cup sugar1 egg1 tablespoon apricot jam1 tablespoon vinegar1 talespoon melted butter1 cup milk
Sauce: cup cream cup milk1 cup sugar cup hot water cup butter
Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.With butter, grease an ovenproof dish approximately 30cm X 20cm X 5cm. Glass or ceramic best do not use an aluminium, enamel or metal container. Cut a piece of aluminium foil to cover the dish, and grease it well with butter on one side.
Sift the flour and the baking soda into a bowl and stir in the sugar.In another bowl beat the egg very well and add the remaining wet cake ingredients one by one, beating well between each addition.Using a wooden spoon beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
Pour the batter into the prepared dish, cover with the foil, greased side down, and bake 45 minutes until well risen and brown. Bake a further five minutes without the foil if not sufficiently brown. Be careful not to under-bake: if not sufficiently baked the dessert will not soak up all the sauce.When the pudding is almost done, heat the ingredients for the sauce, ensuring that you melt all the sugar and butter.When the pudding is done, remove from the oven, take off the foil and pour over the sauce.
Serve hot, warm or at room temperature, though the warmer the better. If desired, serve with some whipped cream or vanilla custard.
TravelEater, aka Johanna Read, is a Canadian who loves travelling and loves eating, but hates eating tourist food. She collects — and shares — advice about eating around the world (and about what to do between snacks). Johanna is World Travel Buzz’s new International Eating Expert and will be writing a monthly column.
- Freedom Mortgage - Mortgage & Refinance: A Top 10 Mortgage Lender - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom | Define Freedom at Dictionary.com - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom - Block Websites, Apps, and the Internet - February 18th, 2019
- Loudoun Freedom AAU Basketball Program in Virginia - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom - Wikipedia - February 18th, 2019
- freedom | Definition of freedom in English by Oxford Dictionaries - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom Credit Union | Mortgages, home equity loans, student ... - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom Synonyms, Freedom Antonyms | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom (2015) - Rotten Tomatoes - February 18th, 2019
- Welcome to Freedom Health | Freedom Health - February 18th, 2019
- freedom - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom Boat Club | Private Membership Boating Club - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom Synonyms, Freedom Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom High School - basdwpweb.beth.k12.pa.us - February 18th, 2019
- Beyonc FREEDOM Lyrics | Genius Lyrics - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom Guardian - medical alert watch | Medical Guardian - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom Quotes (6429 quotes) - Goodreads - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom Munitions - February 18th, 2019
- Freedom Debt Relief - Top Debt Settlement and Consolidation ... - February 18th, 2019
- South African Cuisine: Smiley (Fire-Roasted Goat Head) and ... - February 6th, 2019
- Time and Date - February 6th, 2019
- Travel - Wikipedia - January 18th, 2019
- World Tourism - January 18th, 2019
- South African Cuisine: Smiley (Fire-Roasted Goat Head) and ... - January 18th, 2019
- 50 Awesome Travel Blog Name Ideas - This World Rocks - January 18th, 2019
- Time and Date - January 18th, 2019
- World Travel, Inc. - TMC Preferred Partner - SAP Concur - January 8th, 2019
- We make travel planning easy and affordable | World Travel - January 8th, 2019
- World Travel - Official Site - January 8th, 2019
- Country Guides - World Travel Guide - January 8th, 2019
- WorldTravelService - Business and Leisure Travel Agency ... - January 8th, 2019
- World Travel - January 3rd, 2019
- World Travel, Inc. - TMC Preferred Partner - SAP Concur - January 3rd, 2019
- We make travel planning easy and affordable | World Travel - January 3rd, 2019
- World Travel Awards - January 3rd, 2019
- World Travel Inc - Contact - January 3rd, 2019
- Stem cell - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy - Get Back To Your Life | Stem Cell Centers - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Treatment | Arizona | Stem Cell Rejuvenation Center - January 1st, 2019
- Stem cell - Wikipedia - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis - StemGenex - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Research & Therapy | Home page - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cells in Milwaukee, WI | Wisconsin Stem Cell Therapy - January 1st, 2019
- Home - Stem Cell Therapy in Orlando, Florida - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy & Treatment Center | TruStem Cell Therapy - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy for Anti-Aging and Sexual Performance ... - January 1st, 2019
- NSI Stem Cell | What Is Stem Cell Therapy? - January 1st, 2019
- 15 Stem Cell Therapy For Pain Questions, Answered - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy | Advanced Regenerative Orthopedics - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy for Arthritis - January 1st, 2019
- National Stem Cell Centers | Stem Cell Therapy in New York ... - January 1st, 2019
- Is Stem Cell Therapy Covered by Medicare? - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy for Knee Injuries and Arthritis - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy in Richmond Start Healing Chronic Pain ... - January 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Basics I. | stemcells.nih.gov - January 1st, 2019
- Regenexx Stem Cell Procedures | 100% Non-Surgical Pain Treatment - January 1st, 2019
- Apollo Astronaut: It Would Be “Stupid” to Send People to Mars - December 29th, 2018
- Elon Musk Tweets Image of SpaceX’s Stainless Steel Starship - December 29th, 2018
- Your Christmas Tree Could Be Recycled Into Paint or Sweeteners - December 29th, 2018
- Space Travel Doesn’t Seem to Shorten Astronauts’ Lives, Says Study - December 29th, 2018
- Elon Musk Pledges Tesla Superchargers For All of Europe Next Year - December 29th, 2018
- China Is Building Its First Huge Battery Storage Facility - December 29th, 2018
- Startup Claims Its Underwear Stay Odor-Free Through Weeks of Wear - December 29th, 2018
- Microorganisms That Eat Seaweed Can Create Biodegradable Plastic - December 29th, 2018
- Musk: Tesla’s Fully Autonomous Capabilities “About to Accelerate” - December 29th, 2018
- An App That Does Your Homework for You Is Now Worth $3 Billion - December 29th, 2018
- Virtual Reality Tumors Could Help Lead to New Cancer Treatments - December 29th, 2018
- New Multi-Sensory Mask Lets You Smell and Feel the Virtual World - December 29th, 2018
- New Fiber Could Be the Foundation for Futuristic Smart Garments - December 29th, 2018
- Cacti-Inspired Tech Could Keep You Hydrated After the Apocalypse - December 29th, 2018
- Australian Autonomous Train Is The “World’s Largest Robot” - December 29th, 2018
- Chinese Scientists Reportedly Lost Track of Gene-Edited Patients - December 29th, 2018
- Netflix’s Bandersnatch Teases the Future of Entertainment - December 29th, 2018
- World Travel Awards - December 28th, 2018
- WorldTravelService - Business and Leisure Travel Agency ... - December 28th, 2018
- World Travel, Inc. - TMC Preferred Partner - SAP Concur - December 28th, 2018
- We make travel planning easy and affordable | World Travel - December 28th, 2018
- World Travel - December 28th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy for Arthritis and Injuries - Regenexx - December 27th, 2018