Freedom Alliance to Honor Military Veteran with Customized Wheelchair Donation

DULLES, Va. (PRWEB) October 30, 2014

In recognition of Veterans Day, Freedom Alliance will present Corporal Jeramie Green with a custom-made, all-terrain wheelchair; also known as an Action Trackchair. This Trackchair will be awarded to Green in honor of his bravery and sacrifices while deployed. The donation will take place at Freedom Alliance headquarters at 22570 Markey Court Suite 240, Dulles, Virginia 20166.

At age 25, Green joined the U.S. Army where he specialized in welding. During his last mission in Afghanistan in 2012, he was injured during a motor vehicle accident and suffered injuries to his legs which led to an amputation. The horrific accident happened just two days before Greens nine-month mission was coming to an end.

Corporal Jeramie Green showed true courage when he risked his life for our nation. Jeramies injuries are the result of a deliberate decision to risk his own safety for that of his fellow soldier. He is selfless and courageous, said Freedom Alliance President, Tom Kilgannon. This chair will help Jeramie participate in the activities he enjoys and continue his rehabilitation, said Kilgannon. It is our honor to provide it to him. It is the least we can do for an American hero.

Green is rehabilitating at the Military Advanced Training Center (MATC) at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. He is motivated by the impending birth of his daughter in March. The first anniversary of his Alive Day is approaching and is a reminder of how grateful he is for life and his family and the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors again. Some of his favorite actives include mud running and fishing.

The ceremony will take place:

Monday, November 10, 2014 Freedom Alliance Headquarters 22570 Markey Court, Suite 240 Dulles, Virginia 20166 10:30 a.m.

In addition to Trackchair donations, Freedom Alliance has provided over $8 million in college scholarships for the children of military heroes who were killed or disabled in military service, and millions more to help wounded troops and military families with outdoor recreational therapy such as hunting and fishing trips, Heroes Vacations, care packages for deployed troops, home donations and much more.

For more information about Freedom Alliance visit http://www.FreedomAlliance.org.

Media should RSVP to Kendra Cummings of Vistra Communications at 813.321.3312 or Kendra(at)ConsultVistra(dot)com.

Original post:

Freedom Alliance to Honor Military Veteran with Customized Wheelchair Donation

Payments Start For N.C. Eugenics Victims, But Many Won't Qualify

Debra Blackmon (left) was sterilized by court order in 1972, at age 14. With help from her niece, Latoya Adams (right), she's fighting to be part of the state's compensation program. Eric Mennel/WUNC hide caption

Debra Blackmon (left) was sterilized by court order in 1972, at age 14. With help from her niece, Latoya Adams (right), she's fighting to be part of the state's compensation program.

Debra Blackmon was about to turn 14 in January 1972, when two social workers came to her home.

Court and medical documents offer some details about what happened that day. Blackmon was "severely retarded," they note, and had "psychic problems" that made her difficult to manage during menstruation.

Her parents were counseled during the visit, and it was deemed in Blackmon's best interest that she be sterilized.

Blackmon is among the more than 7,000 people in North Carolina many poor, many African-American, many disabled who were sterilized between 1929 and 1976 in one of the country's most aggressive eugenics programs.

North Carolina passed a law to compensate victims of the state-run program last year. This week, the state sent out the first checks to qualified applicants. But Blackmon, like many others who are fighting for restitution, is not among them.

Blackmon, now 56, has a hard time with the details of that day in 1972 but she does remember a few things from her trip to Charlotte Memorial Hospital. "My daddy said, 'Don't hurt this baby.' And he was crying," she recalls.

Latoya Adams, Blackmon's niece, says "we didn't find out until recently the extent exactly what all they did to her."

Adams grew up knowing her aunt had been sterilized. So, after the compensation law passed, she went looking for documentation and came back with a mother lode: a court order, names of social workers and the entire procedure, outlined from pre-op to discharge.

Originally posted here:

Payments Start For N.C. Eugenics Victims, But Many Won't Qualify

Eugenics Board victim receives $20,000 check

Elnora Mills, seem here in her Leland, home on Thursday, August 21, 2014, is one of the victims of the state's former Eugenics Board program.

N.C. Eugenics Board victim Elnora Mills received a $20,000 check Thursday as promised by the state.

"It helps me, but they can only do so much," the Leland resident said. "It's better than nothing, but I'm still mad with what they did to me."

Mills, 63, is one of about 220 statewide who received checks as reparation for the involuntary sterilizations performed by the state board and social services departments from 1929 to 1974.

A second check for an undetermined amount is expected to be sent out sometime next year, Mills said. A $10 million pot was set aside for victims of the program by state legislators in June 2013.

The eugenics program sterilized nearly 7,600 men and women during the 45 years it was in existence. Mills was sterilized when she was 16 and didn't know she couldn't have kids until 1969 when she was married to her husband. She was notified at the time that, during an appendix surgery in 1967, doctors had also removed her reproductive organs because the state saw her as unfit to have children.

Over the years, Mills said, she has found comfort in her husband and her dogs. And for now, she is saving the money.

"I am paying bills, and my husband is sick so I am putting the money away just in case," she said. "Him and my dogs are the only thing I got."

Jason Gonzales: 343-2075

On Twitter: @StarNews_Jason

Link:

Eugenics Board victim receives $20,000 check

The Best Bridal Gowns Palm Beach | Bridal Couture of the Palm Beaches | 561-793-4633 – Video


The Best Bridal Gowns Palm Beach | Bridal Couture of the Palm Beaches | 561-793-4633
http://www.bridalcouturepalmbeach.com Find The Best Bridal Gowns at Bridal Couture of the Palm Beaches located in Royal Palm Beach, Florida. We take pride in our ability to choose the perfect...

By: Bride Divas

Read the original:

The Best Bridal Gowns Palm Beach | Bridal Couture of the Palm Beaches | 561-793-4633 - Video

Hancock Co. beaches are about to get a major face lift

HANCOCK COUNTY, MS (WLOX) -

Hancock County's sand beach is about to undergo a $1 million transformation. Sand that washed away from the shoreline during Hurricane Isaac will be replaced.

County leaders say when the work is finished, the beaches will reopen with a lot more for people to do.

The damage caused by Hurricane Isaac was significant. County leaders estimate 60,000 cubic yards of sand eroded away. Mother Nature carved into the shoreline displacing the sand, but those seeing the beach for the first time don't seem to notice.

"I don't notice anything wrong. It would be nice if there were more waves," said Bonnie Gustin.

Bonnie and Keith Gustin are from upstate New York. They say they enjoyed their day on the beach in Hancock County.

"To me, this is a pretty wide beach. We've walked some pretty narrow beaches," said Bonnie.

The beach replenishment project will extend the beach to its original foot print.

"We're going to re-nourish the beach out to about a 150 foot profile," explained Lisa Cowand, President of the Hancock County Board Of Supervisors.

Some of the sand that will replenish the beach will come from the bottom of the bay. It will be dredged up, dried out and reused. The other half will be trucked in.

Read the original post:

Hancock Co. beaches are about to get a major face lift

CMC members decry neglect of beaches

Udupi, Oct 31, 2014, DHNS:

Udupi CMC members on Friday raised concern over unkept beaches in the CMC limits.

The beaches are full of litter. Plastic covers and emptied bottles along the shore greet visitors, they said.

Flaying the failure of the beach development committee under the leadership of deputy commissioner, the members said that the committee has failed to maintain beaches.

Raising the issue, member Janardhan Bhandarkar said that Udupi CMC should also take up Swacch Bharath Abhiyan effectively. Udupi has several tourist spots. It is indeed essential to maintain cleanliness in the area.

There is a urgent need for a full-fledged under ground drainage system, pure drinking water and solid waste management facilities in Udupi. President Yuvaraj said that measures have already been taken to implement the provisions of Swacch Bharath Abhiyan. The CMC has given priority to cleanliness.

Member Prakash Ameen said that the area in and around Malpe shore has become a dump yard. There are no toilets in the vicinity. The beach lacks cleanliness. Though the Nirmati Kendra was entrusted with the responsibility to construct toilets in Malpe beach, the work has not commenced.

According to Deputy Commissioner there is no dearth of funds to construct the toilets on Malpe beach. Commissioner Srikanth Rao said that the CMC has no role to play in the beach development committee, as it is headed by the deputy commissioner. The land has been identified for the construction of toilets.

Member Ganesh Nergi said that the beach development committee should be dissolved. The CMC should take up the responsibility of cleaning the beaches in its jurisdiction. Mushrooming of petty shops on the beaches have added to the problem.

The Commissioner said that only 24 petty shops have been issued license. Measures will be taken to evict illegal petty shops. To a query on pathetic condition of the road at Manipal bus stop, the Commissioner said that the CMC has no power to develop the road. The road comes under NHAI.

Continue reading here:

CMC members decry neglect of beaches

Astronomy – Ch. 6: Telescopes (7 of 25) Finding Resolutions of Craters on the Moon – Video


Astronomy - Ch. 6: Telescopes (7 of 25) Finding Resolutions of Craters on the Moon
Visit http://ilectureonline.com for more math and science lectures! In this video I will calculate the telescope #39;s resolutions of craters on the Moon.

By: Michel van Biezen

Continue reading here:

Astronomy - Ch. 6: Telescopes (7 of 25) Finding Resolutions of Craters on the Moon - Video

Highlights of the Night Sky – November 2014 | Astronomy Space Science Video – Video


Highlights of the Night Sky - November 2014 | Astronomy Space Science Video
More space news and info at: http://www.coconutsciencelab.com - what to look for in the night sky during November 2014. Please rate and comment, thanks! Credits: STScI.

By: CoconutScienceLab

Go here to read the rest:

Highlights of the Night Sky - November 2014 | Astronomy Space Science Video - Video