Central Michigan University medical school's first class mostly Michigan natives

MOUNT PLEASANT, MI Nearly 90 percent of Central Michigan University College of Medicine's students are from Michigan.

The medical school has seated its first class of 64 students, and 57 students are from Michigan. More than 2,700 students applied to the College of Medicine.

Students will begin their studies Aug. 4, with an emphasis on diseases and medical conditions seen across central and northern Michigan.

The College of Medicine has the goal of training primary physicians to work in central and northern Michigan, areas that face a shortage of doctors. Of the 64 students, 25 are from central and Northern Michigan, including the Upper Peninsula.

As the only medical school in Michigan training doctors to address the needs of residents and families living in more rural regions, we selected students with a passion for medically underserved communities, said Ernie Yoder, dean of CMUs College of Medicine.

Students also are coming fromCanada, California, Massachusetts and Georgia.

CMU's College of Medicine class is 58 percent female. Eleven students are CMU graduates.

Each year, the college will add students to reach a full capacity of 400 students. For two years, the students will train in Mount Pleasant, then spend another two years in Saginaw for clinical training at Covenant HealthCare and St. Mary's of Michigan.

CMU has partnerships with about 24 hospitals throughout mid- and Northern Michigan for clinical training and some residencies after graduation. About 60 percent of physicians practice within 100 miles of their residency site, according to CMU.

Visit link:

Central Michigan University medical school's first class mostly Michigan natives

Liberty is Personal – "Hempless and Hopeless" told by Ben D. – Video


Liberty is Personal - "Hempless and Hopeless" told by Ben D.
But Mr. Officer, you can #39;t smoke my tie!" Meet Ben Droz, industrial hemp lobbyist. Ben shares an entertaining account of fighting City Hall -- err Capitol Hill -- to hold onto his organic hemp...

By: LearnLiberty.org

Go here to see the original:

Liberty is Personal - "Hempless and Hopeless" told by Ben D. - Video

Schumer: New Statue of Liberty security risky

New security plans for the Statue of Liberty could leave visitors vulnerable when it reopens July Fourth, New York officials said Monday.

Sen. Charles Schumer and New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly called for the National Park Service to reverse its plan, which calls for visitors to board boats either lower Manhattan or New Jersey and stop at nearby Ellis Island for security.

The NYPD and the Park Service have differences over how to best protect visitors from a potential terrorist attack, said Kelly, adding that he has written to the secretary of the interior about the issue.

I know the NPS cares deeply about the monument and its visitors, said Schumer, but in this case I think theyve made a mistake and should rethink this policy change.

Park service representatives did not immediately respond to comment requests.

The statue was closed after Superstorm Sandy. Storm surges flooded Liberty Island, destroying boilers and electrical systems, but the statue, which is on higher ground on the island, remained intact.

Previously, passengers were screened with airport-style metal detectors before they boarded boats for Liberty Island from Battery Park in Lower Manhattan and Liberty State Park in New Jersey.

This screening was put in just after the horrific events of Sept. 11. And I can tell you, in our judgment, the threat has not abated, Kelly said.

Terrorist groups, he added, have an interest in targeting locations that represent America.

Both officials said any additional costs could be covered with a small increase in the fee charged to visit the island. They also advocated scheduled ticketing to help reduce lines.

Read the original post:

Schumer: New Statue of Liberty security risky

Liberty Reserve Shut Down: Cybercrime Community In Disarray

The popular Costa Rica-based virtual currency exchange Liberty Reserve appears to have been shut down permanently, while its founder has arrested on suspicion of using the site for money laundering purposes. The news has caused uproar within the Webs underground cybercrime community, with hundreds of people reporting that theyre no longer able to access funds stored on the site, which in some cases amount to thousands of dollars.

Security website Krebs on Security reports that Arthur Budovsky, the founder of Liberty Reserve, was arrested in Spain last Friday in a joint operation between US, Costa Rican and Spanish law enforcement agencies. Krebs claims that Budovsky is now likely to be extradited to the US, citing Costa Rican news sources.

For those whove never heard of it, Liberty Reserve is a notorious online money exchange that uses its own virtual currency, known as the Liberty Reserve, or simply LR, to provide anonymous payment processing services for online customers. The currency is somewhat similar to Bitcoin, only it has a far more sinister side to it due to its total lack of regulation. With customers able to open an account anonymously using nothing more than an email address, its said to be a haven for thousands of cybercriminals across the world.

Liberty Reserve offers benefits besides its anonymity its fees are extremely low, with users being charged just 1% of each transaction, whilst the service protects its users from credit card chargebacks. On the downside, the exchange has been somewhat vulnerable at times for example in August 2012 a script problem left hundreds of users locked out of their accounts, some of which possessed thousands of dollars.

On top of this, founder Budovsky has had his fair share of brushes with the law in the past. Bitcoin Magazine reports that the founder was arrested alongside partner Vladimir Kats in 2006 for carrying out money transmittals without a license, before being convicted and sentenced to five years probation. This prompted Budovsky to flee to Costa Rica, where he set up Liberty Reserve.

Now, it looks as if Liberty Reserve has even bigger problems. According to Krebs, the site first went down on Thursday night:

The outage set off increasingly anxious discussions on several major cybercrime forums online, as many that work and ply their trade in malicious software and banking fraud found themselves unable to access their funds.

Worried cybercriminals bemoaning their bad luck

Almost simultaneously, a number of other suspect online currency exchanges were taken offline, including asianagold.com, echangezone.com, moneycentralmarket.com and swiftexchanger.com. Since being taken offline, all of the above sites are now pointing to domains owned by Shadowserver, a non-profit organization that fights against cybercrime. This, more than anything else, suggests that Liberty Reserves fall from grace is a permanent one, and that its users will be unlikely to recover their funds.

Liberty Reserves demise might be a disaster for the web criminals and anyone else unfortunate enough to have funds stored with it, but for the more respectable Bitcoin it could well be a blessing. Bitcoin Magazine speculates that with Bitcoin now being one of the few remaining payment processing platforms around that still doesnt accept chargebacks, itll become even more appealing to online marketers whose businesses are at risk from chargeback fraud.

See original here:

Liberty Reserve Shut Down: Cybercrime Community In Disarray

NY senator: New Statue of Liberty security risky

NEW YORK (AP) New security plans for the Statue of Liberty could leave visitors vulnerable when it reopens July Fourth, New York officials said Monday.

Sen. Charles Schumer and New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly called for the National Park Service to reverse its plan, which calls for visitors to board boats either lower Manhattan or New Jersey and stop at nearby Ellis Island for security.

"The NYPD and the Park Service have differences over how to best protect visitors from a potential terrorist attack," said Kelly, adding that he has written to the secretary of the interior about the issue.

"I know the NPS cares deeply about the monument and its visitors," said Schumer, "but in this case I think they've made a mistake and should rethink this policy change."

Park service representatives did not immediately respond to comment requests.

The statue was closed after Superstorm Sandy. Storm surges flooded Liberty Island, destroying boilers and electrical systems, but the statue, which is on higher ground on the island, remained intact.

Previously, passengers were screened with airport-style metal detectors before they boarded boats for Liberty Island from Battery Park in Lower Manhattan and Liberty State Park in New Jersey.

"This screening was put in just after the horrific events of Sept. 11. And I can tell you, in our judgment, the threat has not abated," Kelly said.

Terrorist groups, he added, "have an interest in targeting locations that represent America."

Both officials said any additional costs could be covered with a small increase in the fee charged to visit the island. They also advocated scheduled ticketing to help reduce lines.

Link:

NY senator: New Statue of Liberty security risky

Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 00306 – Video


Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 00306
http://georgegodley.com/ http://www.youtube.com/geogodley https://twitter.com/geogodley https://www.facebook.com/pages/GeoGodley/213431738712281.

By: #9992; #9835; hearts; #13025; WORLD RECORD MULTI DAILY VLOG LIFELOG -george godley

Original post:

Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 00306 - Video

Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley MVI6557 – Video


Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley MVI6557
http://georgegodley.com/ http://www.youtube.com/geogodley https://twitter.com/geogodley https://www.facebook.com/pages/GeoGodley/213431738712281.

By: #9992; #9835; hearts; #13025; WORLD RECORD MULTI DAILY VLOG LIFELOG -george godley

Read the original:

Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley MVI6557 - Video

crepe waffle bananal Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 307 – Video


crepe waffle bananal Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 307
http://georgegodley.com/ http://www.youtube.com/geogodley https://twitter.com/geogodley https://www.facebook.com/pages/GeoGodley/213431738712281.

By: #9992; #9835; hearts; #13025; WORLD RECORD MULTI DAILY VLOG LIFELOG -george godley

View original post here:

crepe waffle bananal Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 307 - Video

Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain pool sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 00309 – Video


Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain pool sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 00309
http://georgegodley.com/ http://www.youtube.com/geogodley https://twitter.com/geogodley https://www.facebook.com/pages/GeoGodley/213431738712281.

By: #9992; #9835; hearts; #13025; WORLD RECORD MULTI DAILY VLOG LIFELOG -george godley

Read the rest here:

Mediterranean Palace Tenerife Canary islands Spain pool sat 30 mar 2013 George Godley 00309 - Video