Development & Aid, Economy & Trade, Editors' Choice, Featured, Food & Agriculture, Global, Green Economy, Headlines, Poverty & SDGs, TerraViva United Nations | Opinion
Bev Postma is CEO of HarvestPlus
Golden rice is fortified rice to reduce shortage of dietary vitamin A
WASHINGTON DC, Aug 31 2017 (IPS) - Climate change is taking a severe toll on farmers, as they watch their livelihoods disappear with the onslaught of floods, droughts and rising sea levels and temperatures. With agriculture currently employing over 1.3 billion people throughout the world, or close to 40 percent of the global workforce, it is imperative that we incorporate climate resilience into all aspects of crop breeding and food innovation.
Developing ways to improve staple crops so that they can withstand some of the adverse effects of climate change will ensure food security and agricultural livelihood for generations to come.
A recent report from the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) found that at current rates of climate change, it is likely that global food production will decline by two percent every decade until at least 2050, just as the worlds population is expected to reach 9.7 billion people.
As a result of these factors, people may be forced to eat fewer fruits, vegetables, and red meat products because their availability may be scarce and prices may rise accordingly. Access to food may also be limited by climate-related vulnerabilities in transportation, storage, and processing.
Projection models from the World Bank likewise show that by the 2030s-2040s, between 40 to 80 percent of cropland used to grow staple crops like maize, millet and sorghum could be lost due to the effects of higher temperatures, drought and aridity.
At the same time, increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are already decreasing the nutritional quality of crops lowering their concentrations of vital micronutrients like zinc and iron. In a 2014 study on CO2 and crop nutrition, Samuel Myers of Harvard University and his colleagues determined that the CO2 levels in the second half of this century would likely reduce the levels of zinc, iron, and protein in wheat, rice, peas, and soybeans.
Some two billion people live in countries where citizens receive more than 60 percent of their zinc or iron from these foods. Many already suffer from diets that lack enough of these important minerals, and increased deficiencies of these vital nutrients would have even more devastating health consequences.
A new technology known as biofortification the process of increasing the nutrient content of staple food crops is a promising tool in the global effort to mitigate these trends.
Many of the effects of climate change are already being felt. Increased drought and aridity are now a reality in Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia, leading to widespread harvest losses and livestock death. As a result, malnutrition levels in the area have skyrocketed. In Somalia alone, the UN says more than six million people are in need of urgent help.
Though climate change continues to progress at an advanced pace, researchers and policymakers can help offset some of the negative impact on farmers by focusing on crop adaptation strategies. Organizations like HarvestPlus and our global partners recognize the necessity of climate resilience and our scientists, plant breeders and country teams are working daily to scale out more climate-resilient crops.
At the International Center for Tropical Agriculture in Palmira, Colombia, researchers are developing beans that can beat the heat. Often referred to as the meat of the poor, beans offer a crucial source of vitamins and protein as well as income for millions of people, particularly in Africa and Latin America.
But climate modeling suggests that, over the coming decades, higher temperatures will threaten bean production, reducing yields and quality. Moreover, heat stress could diminish the area for growing beans by up to 50% in eastern and central Africa by the year 2050.
By identifying elite lines of beans that show strong tolerance to heat up to 30 degrees Celsius breeders can develop more productive, nutritionally improved beans that are resilient even in harsh growing conditions.
Indeed, climate resistant traits are integral to all 150 varieties of the 12 staple crops we and our partners have developed. We run extensive tests to ensure crops will be successful, from stress tests in the field mimicking intense climate conditions, to studies in laboratories.
Under repeatable stress conditions, we generate an environment for testing which allows breeding for climate smart, robust varieties with high micronutrient and high yield stability.
The traits bred into our crops are virus, disease and pest resistance, as well as drought and heat tolerance. These selective plant breeding techniques are just one means of securing agriculture in areas vulnerable to climate change, but we have to do more.
As climate change continues to play a dominant role in agriculture and food security, we have to remain committed to continued research to be sure people in rural communities receive the most nutritious and resilient crop varieties available.
With ongoing crises of famine in five countries stretching from Africa to the Middle East, farmers and vulnerable populations are relying on policymakers, scientists and aid workers to provide the necessary tools to mitigate hunger and prevent additional harvest losses.
- Nutrition Education Professional (id:43168) - Bangor Daily News - September 5th, 2017
- This Instagram Nutrition Blogger Is Busting Myths About Healthy and Unhealthy Foods - Men's Health - August 17th, 2017
- Quinn on Nutrition: Nutritional myths and half-truths - Journal Times - June 1st, 2017
- Celebrate National Nutrition Month by eating right - LA Daily News - March 10th, 2017
- Nutrition | University of Maryland Medical Center - February 6th, 2017
- GNC | Vitamin Stores, Supplements & Nutrition in Secaucus, NJ - January 27th, 2017
- Nutritional Sciences Undergraduate Program at Rutgers SEBS - October 29th, 2015
- Glanbia Nutritionals (NA), Inc. named exclusive distributor of Nutrition 21 Ingredients - April 30th, 2013
- Research and Markets: Global Medical Nutrition Market Is Expected To Grow At a Steady Pace, Clocking A CAGR Of 6.7 ... - April 30th, 2013
- Sports and Fitness Nutrition Foods and Drinks Markets Examined in Insightful GIA Report Available at MarketPublishers ... - April 30th, 2013
- How to provide proper nutrition for your child - Video - April 28th, 2013
- Nutrition Capital Network's NYC Investor Meeting April 29 – 30 Highlights High Growth Companies and Emerging Market ... - April 28th, 2013
- OzSuperNanny Hangout 3 Fitness and Nutrition - Video - April 27th, 2013
- Kate Leinweber Nutrition: Weight Loss through Digestion - Video - April 27th, 2013
- Welcome to Nutrition and Health Live 2013 - Video - April 27th, 2013
- Fitness, Dancing, Health and Nutrition Advice from Keaira LaShae - Video - April 27th, 2013
- What NOT to do: Healthy Tips, Weight Loss, Nutrition, Health Food vs Bad Foods | The Truth Talks - Video - April 27th, 2013
- Magnets - April 27th, 2013
- Whats your nutrition like, CT? - Video - April 27th, 2013
- Danone Institute teams up with nutrition bodies to examine health effects of yogurt - April 27th, 2013
- Mead Johnson Nutrition Beats on Revenue, Matches Expectations on EPS - April 27th, 2013
- ARMAGEDDON WEIGHT LOSS EXERCISE DVD PROGRAM - BEST FITNESS NUTRITION YOGA VIDEO WOMEN - MEN - Video - April 25th, 2013
- Dr. Frank Rijsberman at Hunger, Nutrition, Climate Justice 2013 - Video - April 25th, 2013
- Workout / Nutrition / Supplementation Questions - ATHLEAN-X "Hangs out" with Fans - Video - April 25th, 2013
- Mission nutrition - April 25th, 2013
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Members Evaluate Existing Evidence on Umami in Foods - April 25th, 2013
- Research and Markets: Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition 3E. Edition No. 3 - April 25th, 2013
- Adia Nutrition Retains Sellion Inc. to Expand to Mass Market Retailers - April 25th, 2013
- Al Gore, former Vice-President of the USA - Hunger - Nutrition - Climate Justice Conference, Dublin - Video - April 24th, 2013
- Eamon Gilmore, TÃ¡naiste - Hunger - Nutrition - Climate Justice Conference, Dublin - Video - April 24th, 2013
- Ertharin Cousin, Exec. Director of the WFP - Hunger - Nutrition - Climate Justice Conference, Dublin - Video - April 24th, 2013
- Eliteftsâ„¢ - Arnold Classic Roundtables: Universal Nutrition, Part 1 - Video - April 24th, 2013
- Nutrition Wellness Fitness - Great reasons to cut wheat from diet Here's why... - Video - April 24th, 2013
- Thoughts on Nutrition and Diet for the Powerlifter - Video - April 24th, 2013
- Game Plan Holdings Announces Game Plan Nutrition: "Where Innovation Meets Monetization" - April 24th, 2013
- Mary Robinson, President of MRFCJ - Hunger - Nutrition - Climate Justice Conference, Dublin - Video - April 22nd, 2013
- Trec Nutrition on FIBO POWER 2013 - Video - April 22nd, 2013
- Animal Hospital in Middletown Educates on Pet Nutrition to Fight Pet Obesity - April 22nd, 2013
- Nutrition Capital Network's NYC Investor Meeting April 29 â€“ 30 Highlights High Growth Companies and Emerging Market ... - April 22nd, 2013
- Herbalife Announces That It Will Become Official Nutrition Sponsor of Colombian Golfer, Paola Moreno - April 22nd, 2013
- Liquid Nutrition Announces Annual General Meeting - April 22nd, 2013
- Hunger, Nutrition and Climate Justice Conference Animation - Video - April 21st, 2013
- Sharing the love through good nutrition - April 21st, 2013
- 'Nutrition Week' at Hardyston Middle School yields healthy meals, community service, sweat - April 21st, 2013
- Mead Johnson Nutrition's Stock Is Now Efficiently Valued - April 19th, 2013
- Gaspari Nutrition Kicks Off its Fuel Yourself Community Outreach Program at Ricardo Almeida’s Spring Camp - April 19th, 2013
- Canada Works to Improve Nutrition in Developing Countries Through Innovative Partnerships With the Agriculture Sector - April 19th, 2013
- Global Medical Nutrition Market 2012-2016 - April 19th, 2013
- Jim Stoppani's Six-Week Shortcut To Shred Workout - Nutrition Overview - Bodybuilding.com - Video - April 18th, 2013
- NUTRITION: What I Eat Daily - Video - April 18th, 2013
- The Hershey Company to Make Nutrition Information Simple - April 18th, 2013
- Nutrition Tips for Busy Lifestyles - April 18th, 2013
- Africa: Report On Nutrition Shows Progress in Combating Childhood Stunting - April 17th, 2013
- American Society of Nutrition to Host Symposium on the Impact of Sweetened Beverages on Obesity and Obesity-related ... - April 17th, 2013
- Bond Labs' NDS Nutrition to Attend FILEX Convention in Australia - April 17th, 2013
- The 20th International Congress of Nutrition Will Be Held in Spain For The First Time - April 17th, 2013
- Nutrition for a just world - April 17th, 2013
- The New Pregnancy Nutrition Rules - April 17th, 2013
- Hannah Johnson Nutrition and Fitness Video - Video - April 15th, 2013
- Alberta Pork Congress 2013 Nutrition Partners Lifetime Achievement - Video - April 15th, 2013
- Nutrition Collaboration Addresses Hunger in Oswego County - April 15th, 2013
- Otago nutrition researcher awarded international prize - April 15th, 2013
- Tackling Chad's nutrition crisis - Video - April 14th, 2013
- Nutrition: Restaurants don't always meet nutritiional guidelines with kids' meals - April 14th, 2013
- GED 606 - Week Eigiht: Child Nutrition Services - Ray Proctor - Video - April 13th, 2013
- Legacy Health - Couch to Starlight: Nutrition and Hydration - Video - April 13th, 2013
- Active Nutrition Group Hui Nalu Herbalife 24 Fit Club with Coach Evan Rhodes - Vol 2 - Video - April 13th, 2013
- Nutrition Graduate Student Association holds 5th Annual Iron Chef Competition - April 13th, 2013
- Mason school official talks nutrition with legislators - April 13th, 2013
- Research and Markets: General Nutrition Centers Inc in Consumer Health (World) 2013 - April 13th, 2013
- New Enhancements to CBORD's NetNutrition(R) Support QR Code Access to Nutrition and Allergen Information - April 11th, 2013
- Sports nutrition: Sports foods and beverages - April 11th, 2013
- Diabetic-foods Manufacturer Extend Nutrition to Reach Thousands at Events - April 11th, 2013
- Gaspari Nutrition Staunchly Supports the Use of Carnitine in Sports Nutrition Products Amidst Media Sensationalism - April 11th, 2013
- Scholarships Served Up for Nutrition Students - April 11th, 2013
- Platinum Hydro Builder Optimum Nutrition BioSport.kiev.ua - Video - April 10th, 2013
- Access to Safe, Nutritious Food and Water Is Fundamental Human Right: Updated Position of Academy of Nutrition and ... - April 10th, 2013
- Sports Nutrition for Food-Sensitive Athletes - April 10th, 2013
- MISS Nutrition - Coach Luke McNally gives Ms Olympia Tegan Campbell a hiding in the gym! - Video - April 9th, 2013
- DSM and Republic of Tatarstan sign MOU for fortified nutrition - April 9th, 2013