THURSDAY, Aug. 3, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Eating protein at all three daily meals, instead of just at dinner, might help seniors preserve physical strength as they age, new research suggests.
The Canadian study found that protein-rich meals evenly spread throughout the day staved off muscle decline, but did not increase mobility, in older people.
Study co-author Stephanie Chevalier said, for seniors, "The important point is to create three meal occasions with sufficient protein to stimulate muscle building and greater strength, instead of just one."
Chevalier is an assistant professor of medicine at McGill University in Montreal.
The functional decline associated with aging often leads to falls, mental impairment and loss of independence. Chevalier's team wondered if more evenly distributed protein consumption might be tied to better physical performance and a reduced rate of decline.
To find out, they tracked more than 1,700 relatively healthy Quebec men and women, aged 67 to 84, who were all enrolled in a three-year study.
The participants provided dietary information and underwent yearly hand, arm, and leg strength testing. They were also tested for mobility.
Over the three years, the researchers found that both men and women saw their overall physical performance worsen, with muscle strength fading more significantly than mobility.
But those who consumed protein more evenly throughout the day appeared to retain greater muscle strength -- though not greater mobility -- than those who consumed most of their protein late in the day.
However, Chevalier stressed the researchers only observed an association between protein distribution and muscle strength, not a direct cause-and-effect relationship.
"In other words, we cannot conclude that older people had greater strength because they were ingesting protein evenly distributed at every meal," she said.
Establishing direct proof would require more research, she said.
Still, the study finding held up regardless of the total amount of protein consumed, she noted.
Prior research has indicated that adults of all ages should consume a minimum of 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. (To convert pounds to kilograms, divide your body weight by 2.2.)
For a 155-pound man, that would add up to about three ounces of protein a day, Chevalier said. Spread across breakfast, lunch and dinner, that would mean about one ounce of protein at each meal. A 130-pound woman would require a little less than one ounce per meal.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Dietary Guidelines call for those over age 50 to consume 5 to 7 ounces of protein foods daily.
In general, one ounce of meat, poultry or fish or one egg or one tablespoon of peanut butter, one-quarter cup of cooked beans or one-half ounce of nuts or seeds qualify as an ounce of protein, according to the USDA.
An outside nutrition expert offered one explanation why the new findings might work.
"Muscle protein is constantly being broken down and built back up. We need protein in our diet daily to make this happen," explained Lona Sandon, a dietetic educator.
That's true at any age, but in late life muscle protein tends to break down faster than it builds up, added Sandon, an assistant professor of clinical nutrition at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.
Also, research has shown older adults require a higher amount of protein, she said.
"Eating protein throughout the day seems to be a means to stay in a positive protein balance longer than just eating most of your protein for the day in the evening meal," said Sandon.
Sandon said distributing protein intake evenly throughout the day is likely beneficial to everyone, young and old.
Much of the research in this area stems from sports nutrition studies, she added. "This research has also shown a benefit to spreading protein throughout meals over the day for increased muscle mass and strength benefits in active individuals and adults," she added.
However, she cautioned that eating protein alone is not an anti-aging silver bullet.
"You can't just eat a steak and suddenly have bulging biceps," she said, noting the need for some level of physical activity or resistance training as well.
The study was published in the July issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
See the original post:
Protein at All 3 Meals May Help Preserve Seniors' Strength - The Sentinel
- Sleepless Nights Do No Favors for Your Heart - Anti Aging News - September 8th, 2017
- Secret to reversing aging? Think again - The Korea Herald - September 8th, 2017
- 10 Ways To Stay Healthy Going Into Fall With Dr. Calapai - LATF USA - September 6th, 2017
- Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 promotes Kingdoms Holistic Paradise - eTurboNews - September 6th, 2017
- New class of drugs targets aging to help keep you healthy - CNN - September 5th, 2017
- Singing May Be Good Medicine for Parkinson's Patients - Anti Aging News - September 4th, 2017
- New Study Shows Gut Bacteria Produces Secret, Anti-Aging Molecules - Wall Street Pit - September 4th, 2017
- Balance and Gait Problems can be Improved using Avatars - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- White Lotus Products Available on CompleteBeautyStore.com - Benzinga - August 31st, 2017
- Discovery of a New Compound Turns on a Longevity Gene in Mice - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- A Potential Anti-Aging Pill Promises to Extend Life For 5 Cents a Pop - Wall Street Pit - August 27th, 2017
- Philly native discusses the 'Allure' of anti-aging to movie star super-heroines - Philly.com - August 27th, 2017
- Metformin could be the first FDA approved antiaging drug - Next Big Future - August 27th, 2017
- TAT Holds Global Medical Tourism Event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 ... - Benzinga - August 18th, 2017
- Media's Anti-Aging Agenda without the Benefit of Scientific Evidence, Fact or Common Sense - Anti Aging News - August 18th, 2017
- TAT holds global medical tourism event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017," focusing ... - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Approaches - Harvard Magazine - August 15th, 2017
- Introducing CoolSculpting, the World's Most Popular Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Treatment, in Glen Allen, VA at ... - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Stimulating Stem Cells to Encourage Hair Growth - Anti Aging News - August 15th, 2017
- David Steenblock Offers Beauty, Anti-Aging and Wellness in One Therapy - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Calendar Updates for August - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Green Tea Boosts Memory, Combats Obesity - Anti Aging News - August 4th, 2017
- Anti-aging medicine group says field isn't 'controversial' - FierceHealthcare - August 4th, 2017
- Do these 4 natural anti-aging alternatives work? - Fox News - August 3rd, 2017
- Doug Brooks returns to Parkersburg as a physician - Parkersburg News - August 2nd, 2017
- AI Is Helping This Anti-Aging Startup Uncover Ways for You to Live a Longer, Healthier Life - Futurism - August 2nd, 2017
- Trump's CDC Pick Peddled 'Anti-Aging' Medicine to Her Gynecologic Patients - New York Magazine - July 11th, 2017
- Vitals - Axios - July 11th, 2017
- Mega NFC Medical10: Beauty- and Anti-Aging Laureate Celebrates Fifth Anniversary - Digital Journal - July 11th, 2017
- Human Lifespan Evidence Now Being Challenged - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Broccoli Battles Diabetes - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Best anti-aging foods you should be eating - Bel Marra Health - July 2nd, 2017
- Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop. - WIRED - July 2nd, 2017
- How to keep skin looking young? We asked the experts - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2017
- The Connection Between Chronic Illness, Cortisol, And Sleep - Information Nigeria - June 30th, 2017
- Agenda Announced for 2017 MedTech Impact Expo & Conference in Las Vegas - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - Benzinga - June 28th, 2017
- Palm Springs Life - Palm Springs Life - June 28th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - PR Web (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- 4 Natural Skin-Care Ingredients That'll Transform Your Skin - Allure Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Cryotherapy: Is it the coolest thing in sports medicine? - San Francisco Chronicle - June 25th, 2017
- Dr. Vincent Giampapa's Global Foundation for Human Aging Research Donates $50000 to The Sinclair Lab at Harvard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 23rd, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- Tim Ferriss Reveals the Anti-Aging Secrets You Must Know - Men's Health - June 21st, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging ... - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- World's oldest super fruit delivers super anti-aging protection - Personal Liberty Digest - June 21st, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Attends the AANP 2017 National ... - Benzinga - June 20th, 2017
- Potential anti-aging Cardax Astaxanthin compound selected for NIH research - UH System Current News - June 20th, 2017
- Health Risks of Sleeping in on Weekends - Anti Aging News - June 16th, 2017
- Are All Calories the Same? - SELF - June 16th, 2017
- Fennel Reduces Postmenopause Symptoms - Anti Aging News - June 14th, 2017
- Inside Ambrosia: Could infusions of millennial blood make you young again? Scientists have doubts. - Mic - June 14th, 2017
- A Top Dermatologist Weighs in on Miranda Kerr's Leech Facial - NewBeauty Magazine (blog) - June 14th, 2017
- Chinese Medicine is Using Donkey Skins to Boost Libidoand Africa's Animals Are at Risk - Newsweek - June 14th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - June 11th, 2017
- Carotid Artery Gives Away Human Biological Age - Bioscience Technology - June 11th, 2017
- Can You Actually Die From Too Much Caffeine? - BOSS Magazine - June 8th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - ScienceBlog.com (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Essential Science: Methylene Blue as an anti-aging treatment - Digital Journal - June 5th, 2017
- IBM's Watson - Best Doctor In The World? - Anti Aging News - June 2nd, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) and Metabolic Medical Institute (MMI) have been - PR Newswire UK (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Antibody Fights Fat, Fires up Metabolism - Anti Aging News - June 1st, 2017
- Surgery Is No Longer Your Only Option! - The Clermont News Leader - May 31st, 2017
- Aesthetic Medicine: 5 top trends at the AMWC - Premium beauty - May 30th, 2017
- How Biotech Will Make Us Live Longer - Let's Talk Anti-Aging - Labiotech.eu (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Medicine & Hormone Replacement CME - May 24th, 2017
- Balance Your Mind and Body with a Natural Approach to Anti-Aging - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- Connect Medical Will Launch in Cincinnati in October - TSNN Trade Show News (blog) - May 23rd, 2017
- Curbing Calories Slows Aging | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging News - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Flower Pesticides Linked to Neurological Problems - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Resveratrol May Benefit Diabetics' Cardiovascular Health - Anti Aging News - May 22nd, 2017
- A Yogurt a Day May Keep Disorders at Bay - Anti Aging News - May 21st, 2017
- Promise Rejuvenation Center cuts ribbon at Palm Ridge Plaza in The Villages - Villages-News - May 20th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Markets Insider - May 18th, 2017
- 3-D Printed Ovaries Restore Fertility - Anti Aging News - May 18th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Marketwired (press release) - May 17th, 2017
- Heart Attack Risk Raised by Respiratory Infections - Anti Aging News - May 17th, 2017
- Actor Antonio Sabato Touting Hormone Therapy - Newsmax - May 17th, 2017
- Dr. Manjula Raguthu is recognized by Continental Who's Who - MilTech - May 17th, 2017
- White Lotus Products Arrive on NPIBeauty.com - PR Web (press release) - May 15th, 2017