When we were young, we viewed our parents like they were the most powerful human beings in the world.
They exuded health, strength, such admirable quickness of mind in answering our endless questions, and the might to balance career and family.
How did they do it?
That used to puzzle us, as we kept getting delighted in the thought that we had extraordinary human beings playing the role of mom and dad.
At first, we begin to blame our society or the world in general for the wealth of new and challenging problems that people are forced to face everyday. Then, gradually we begin to realize that life for our parents after all, wasnt as easy as we had perceived it when we were young.
As the years go by, with us having our own families, and going through the same stressful phases that our parents had gone through, its right then we start to realize that the weaknesses and diseases that came to plague our mom and dad would also be our unavoidable fate.
Were all destined to grow old.
Today, the global anti-aging industry is worth more than $140 billion and has been predicted to rise to nearly $217 billion by 2021.
The worlds leading companies, including Google, are involved in anti-aging research and treatment of age-related diseases.
From Senescence Info, heres a list of some of these companies and their anti-aging endeavors:
Now, whats new?
The discovery, this time, is not about yeast, telomeres, stem cells, or genes.
Its about molecules. To be exact, a molecule type thats produced by commensal bacteria and one which has the ability to extend healthspan.
Commensal bacteria are living organisms that derive their food from other living organisms. But, unlike parasites, they do not harm or hurt their host. This type of bacteria, also known as commensal microflora, usually inhabit the gut, respiratory tract, and skin.
In humans, the number of commensal bacteria that colonize our skin and mucosal surfaces is greater than the number of cells forming our body.
However, this molecule called indole, which was discovered by researchers at the Emory University School of Medicine, came from commensal bacteria that the team studied in the gut of worms (Caenorhabditis elegans), mice, and fruit flies to determine its anti-aging properties.
According to the authors, and as published on PNAS, the small molecules [which are shown to be] produced by the microbiota and related to indole extend healthspan in geriatric worms, flies, and mice, without attendant effects on lifespan. Indoles act via the aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AHR) and cause animals to retain a youthful gene expression profile. Indoles may represent a new class of therapeutics that improve the way we age as opposed to simply extending how long we live.
Indoles and AHR are also found in the human body. The former exists in humans and mammals in small quantities, produced from plant dietary sources and intestinal microbiota. Whats more fascinating about indole is that it can extend not only an organisms healthspan, but fecundity and reproductive span as well.
The study is statistically extremely robust, remarks Dario Valenzano of the Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing. The paper convincingly shows that the lack of indoles is detrimental to healthspan. What will be interesting is to see if the same effect holds good with wild-type animals treated [extraneously] with indoles.
Indeed, its a remarkable discovery. But, mankind appears to unfortunately, still have a long way to go in their quest for longer, healthier life.
As study author Daniel Kalman notes: It is a long road to go from the data we present to a drug. That takes careful development, testing, and safety and efficacy trials.
Despite the relatively long road ahead (I say relatively based on the fact that AI applications are on a seemingly rapid upward trajectory and anything is possible. We may have a breakthrough tomorrow or five years from, nobody knows for sure) the fact that new advancements in modern technology are finally offering up some real promising possibilities for ways to reverse aging as a process, is a breakthrough in anti-aging research and the right step toward a healthier, longer life and consequently, a brighter future for all of us.
- Sleepless Nights Do No Favors for Your Heart - Anti Aging News - September 8th, 2017
- Secret to reversing aging? Think again - The Korea Herald - September 8th, 2017
- 10 Ways To Stay Healthy Going Into Fall With Dr. Calapai - LATF USA - September 6th, 2017
- Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 promotes Kingdoms Holistic Paradise - eTurboNews - September 6th, 2017
- New class of drugs targets aging to help keep you healthy - CNN - September 5th, 2017
- Singing May Be Good Medicine for Parkinson's Patients - Anti Aging News - September 4th, 2017
- Balance and Gait Problems can be Improved using Avatars - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- White Lotus Products Available on CompleteBeautyStore.com - Benzinga - August 31st, 2017
- Discovery of a New Compound Turns on a Longevity Gene in Mice - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- A Potential Anti-Aging Pill Promises to Extend Life For 5 Cents a Pop - Wall Street Pit - August 27th, 2017
- Philly native discusses the 'Allure' of anti-aging to movie star super-heroines - Philly.com - August 27th, 2017
- Metformin could be the first FDA approved antiaging drug - Next Big Future - August 27th, 2017
- TAT Holds Global Medical Tourism Event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 ... - Benzinga - August 18th, 2017
- Media's Anti-Aging Agenda without the Benefit of Scientific Evidence, Fact or Common Sense - Anti Aging News - August 18th, 2017
- TAT holds global medical tourism event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017," focusing ... - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Approaches - Harvard Magazine - August 15th, 2017
- Introducing CoolSculpting, the World's Most Popular Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Treatment, in Glen Allen, VA at ... - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Stimulating Stem Cells to Encourage Hair Growth - Anti Aging News - August 15th, 2017
- David Steenblock Offers Beauty, Anti-Aging and Wellness in One Therapy - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Calendar Updates for August - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Green Tea Boosts Memory, Combats Obesity - Anti Aging News - August 4th, 2017
- Anti-aging medicine group says field isn't 'controversial' - FierceHealthcare - August 4th, 2017
- Protein at All 3 Meals May Help Preserve Seniors' Strength - The Sentinel - August 4th, 2017
- Do these 4 natural anti-aging alternatives work? - Fox News - August 3rd, 2017
- Doug Brooks returns to Parkersburg as a physician - Parkersburg News - August 2nd, 2017
- AI Is Helping This Anti-Aging Startup Uncover Ways for You to Live a Longer, Healthier Life - Futurism - August 2nd, 2017
- Trump's CDC Pick Peddled 'Anti-Aging' Medicine to Her Gynecologic Patients - New York Magazine - July 11th, 2017
- Vitals - Axios - July 11th, 2017
- Mega NFC Medical10: Beauty- and Anti-Aging Laureate Celebrates Fifth Anniversary - Digital Journal - July 11th, 2017
- Human Lifespan Evidence Now Being Challenged - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Broccoli Battles Diabetes - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Best anti-aging foods you should be eating - Bel Marra Health - July 2nd, 2017
- Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop. - WIRED - July 2nd, 2017
- How to keep skin looking young? We asked the experts - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2017
- The Connection Between Chronic Illness, Cortisol, And Sleep - Information Nigeria - June 30th, 2017
- Agenda Announced for 2017 MedTech Impact Expo & Conference in Las Vegas - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - Benzinga - June 28th, 2017
- Palm Springs Life - Palm Springs Life - June 28th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - PR Web (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- 4 Natural Skin-Care Ingredients That'll Transform Your Skin - Allure Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Cryotherapy: Is it the coolest thing in sports medicine? - San Francisco Chronicle - June 25th, 2017
- Dr. Vincent Giampapa's Global Foundation for Human Aging Research Donates $50000 to The Sinclair Lab at Harvard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 23rd, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- Tim Ferriss Reveals the Anti-Aging Secrets You Must Know - Men's Health - June 21st, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging ... - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- World's oldest super fruit delivers super anti-aging protection - Personal Liberty Digest - June 21st, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Attends the AANP 2017 National ... - Benzinga - June 20th, 2017
- Potential anti-aging Cardax Astaxanthin compound selected for NIH research - UH System Current News - June 20th, 2017
- Health Risks of Sleeping in on Weekends - Anti Aging News - June 16th, 2017
- Are All Calories the Same? - SELF - June 16th, 2017
- Fennel Reduces Postmenopause Symptoms - Anti Aging News - June 14th, 2017
- Inside Ambrosia: Could infusions of millennial blood make you young again? Scientists have doubts. - Mic - June 14th, 2017
- A Top Dermatologist Weighs in on Miranda Kerr's Leech Facial - NewBeauty Magazine (blog) - June 14th, 2017
- Chinese Medicine is Using Donkey Skins to Boost Libidoand Africa's Animals Are at Risk - Newsweek - June 14th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - June 11th, 2017
- Carotid Artery Gives Away Human Biological Age - Bioscience Technology - June 11th, 2017
- Can You Actually Die From Too Much Caffeine? - BOSS Magazine - June 8th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - ScienceBlog.com (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Essential Science: Methylene Blue as an anti-aging treatment - Digital Journal - June 5th, 2017
- IBM's Watson - Best Doctor In The World? - Anti Aging News - June 2nd, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) and Metabolic Medical Institute (MMI) have been - PR Newswire UK (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Antibody Fights Fat, Fires up Metabolism - Anti Aging News - June 1st, 2017
- Surgery Is No Longer Your Only Option! - The Clermont News Leader - May 31st, 2017
- Aesthetic Medicine: 5 top trends at the AMWC - Premium beauty - May 30th, 2017
- How Biotech Will Make Us Live Longer - Let's Talk Anti-Aging - Labiotech.eu (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Medicine & Hormone Replacement CME - May 24th, 2017
- Balance Your Mind and Body with a Natural Approach to Anti-Aging - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- Connect Medical Will Launch in Cincinnati in October - TSNN Trade Show News (blog) - May 23rd, 2017
- Curbing Calories Slows Aging | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging News - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Flower Pesticides Linked to Neurological Problems - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Resveratrol May Benefit Diabetics' Cardiovascular Health - Anti Aging News - May 22nd, 2017
- A Yogurt a Day May Keep Disorders at Bay - Anti Aging News - May 21st, 2017
- Promise Rejuvenation Center cuts ribbon at Palm Ridge Plaza in The Villages - Villages-News - May 20th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Markets Insider - May 18th, 2017
- 3-D Printed Ovaries Restore Fertility - Anti Aging News - May 18th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Marketwired (press release) - May 17th, 2017
- Heart Attack Risk Raised by Respiratory Infections - Anti Aging News - May 17th, 2017
- Actor Antonio Sabato Touting Hormone Therapy - Newsmax - May 17th, 2017
- Dr. Manjula Raguthu is recognized by Continental Who's Who - MilTech - May 17th, 2017
- White Lotus Products Arrive on NPIBeauty.com - PR Web (press release) - May 15th, 2017