June 6, 2017 The roundworm, C. elegans, is a popular model in aging research because its short lifespan allows scientists to quickly assess the effects of anti-aging interventions, including genetic manipulation and drug therapies. Scientists at the MDI Biological Laboratory used C. elegans as a model to identify markers of healthy aging. The study will help scientists assess the tradeoffs between lifespan and health span in humans. Credit: MDI Biological Laboratory
Exactly when does old age begin? Which health markers best predict who will live a long and healthy life versus a life spent in poor health?
Developing metrics to help answer these questions and to understand the tradeoffs between lifespan and health span is the subject of a recent paper by MDI Biological Laboratory scientists in Journals of Gerontology: Biological Sciences, a publication of the Gerontological Society of America.
The authors studied various parameters of health in short-lived strains of the roundworm, C. elegans, with the goal of developing an empirical definition of the onset of old age, and of teasing out which health markers are most predictive of a long and healthy life.
With the development of new genetics tools, scientists are getting closer to developing therapies to extend human lifespan, but the effect of such therapies on health span (the proportion of life spent in good health) is unclear. While it used to be thought that therapies to extend lifespan would also extend health span, new research is showing that may not always be true.
The growing number of anti-aging therapies on the horizon creates a need for the development of new parameters to assess healthy aging. Instead of striving to only to prolong longevity, as has been the case in the past, the use of such tools will allow scientists to focus their efforts on lifespan-enhancing therapies with the greatest positive effects on health.
"All anti-aging interventions aren't created equal," said post-doctoral researcher Jarod Rollins, Ph.D., one of the study's lead investigators. "A recent study in C. elegans found, for instance, that the proportion of life spent in a frail state is longer in long-lived mutants than in wild-type animals. Our research is aimed at developing tools to help scientists assess the effect of lifespan-enhancing interventions on health span."
The molecular mechanisms of aging are a focus of research at the MDI Biological Laboratory, located in Bar Harbor, Maine, which is pioneering new approaches to regenerative medicine focused on the development of drugs to increase healthy lifespan by enhancing the body's innate ability to repair and regenerate lost or damaged tissues and organs.
Rollins works in the laboratory of Aric Rogers, Ph.D., the lead author of the study, in the institution's Kathryn W. Davis Center for Regenerative Biology and Medicine.
C. elegans is a popular model in aging research because its short lifespan of only two to three weeks allows scientists to quickly assess the effects of anti-aging interventions, including genetic manipulation and drug therapies. The tiny, soil-dwelling roundworm also has other advantages for research: it shares many of its genes with humans and its health markers roughly correspond to those in humans.
One marker that the MDI Biological Laboratory scientists found to be predictive of a healthy lifespan in C. elegans was movement speed. Movement speed corresponds to walking speed in humans, which studies have found to be an accurate predictor of longevity. One of the scientists' next steps will be to further develop movement speed as a marker for assessing the effect of anti-aging interventions in C. elegans.
"As science closes in on the mechanisms underlying aging, the tradeoffs between lifespan and health span become a greater cause for concern," said Kevin Strange, Ph.D., president of the MDI Biological Laboratory. "The scientists in the Rogers laboratory are at the forefront of developing metrics to assess the impact of anti-aging interventions on quality of life."
Explore further: Research sheds light on mechanisms underlying aging
More information: Jarod A. Rollins et al. Assessing Health Span in Caenorhabditis elegans: Lessons From Short-Lived Mutants, The Journals of Gerontology: Series A (2017). DOI: 10.1093/gerona/glw248
(Medical Xpress)A large team of researchers from the Netherlands, Italy and the U.S. has found a possible explanation for the injury and death to patients in a clinical trial held last year in France. In their paper published ...
(HealthDay)Exercise doesn't just trim your tummy. It may also improve bone thickness, boost bone quality, and whittle away the fat found inside bones, new animal research suggests.
Despite many studies looking at which bread is the healthiest, it is still not clear what effect bread and differences among bread types have on clinically relevant parameters and on the microbiome. In the journal Cell Metabolism ...
Yale scientists produced increased grooming behavior in mice that may model tics in Tourette syndrome and discovered these behaviors vanish when histaminea neurotransmitter most commonly associated with allergiesis ...
Some bodily activities, sleeping, for instance, mostly occur once every 24 hours; they follow a circadian rhythm. Other bodily functions, such as body temperature, cognitive performance and blood pressure, present an additional ...
Delivering drugs to the brain is no easy task. The blood-brain barrier -a protective sheath of tissue that shields the brain from harmful chemicals and invaders - cannot be penetrated by most therapeutics that are injected ...
Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more
- Sleepless Nights Do No Favors for Your Heart - Anti Aging News - September 8th, 2017
- Secret to reversing aging? Think again - The Korea Herald - September 8th, 2017
- 10 Ways To Stay Healthy Going Into Fall With Dr. Calapai - LATF USA - September 6th, 2017
- Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 promotes Kingdoms Holistic Paradise - eTurboNews - September 6th, 2017
- New class of drugs targets aging to help keep you healthy - CNN - September 5th, 2017
- Singing May Be Good Medicine for Parkinson's Patients - Anti Aging News - September 4th, 2017
- New Study Shows Gut Bacteria Produces Secret, Anti-Aging Molecules - Wall Street Pit - September 4th, 2017
- Balance and Gait Problems can be Improved using Avatars - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- White Lotus Products Available on CompleteBeautyStore.com - Benzinga - August 31st, 2017
- Discovery of a New Compound Turns on a Longevity Gene in Mice - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- A Potential Anti-Aging Pill Promises to Extend Life For 5 Cents a Pop - Wall Street Pit - August 27th, 2017
- Philly native discusses the 'Allure' of anti-aging to movie star super-heroines - Philly.com - August 27th, 2017
- Metformin could be the first FDA approved antiaging drug - Next Big Future - August 27th, 2017
- TAT Holds Global Medical Tourism Event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 ... - Benzinga - August 18th, 2017
- Media's Anti-Aging Agenda without the Benefit of Scientific Evidence, Fact or Common Sense - Anti Aging News - August 18th, 2017
- TAT holds global medical tourism event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017," focusing ... - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Approaches - Harvard Magazine - August 15th, 2017
- Introducing CoolSculpting, the World's Most Popular Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Treatment, in Glen Allen, VA at ... - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Stimulating Stem Cells to Encourage Hair Growth - Anti Aging News - August 15th, 2017
- David Steenblock Offers Beauty, Anti-Aging and Wellness in One Therapy - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Calendar Updates for August - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Green Tea Boosts Memory, Combats Obesity - Anti Aging News - August 4th, 2017
- Anti-aging medicine group says field isn't 'controversial' - FierceHealthcare - August 4th, 2017
- Protein at All 3 Meals May Help Preserve Seniors' Strength - The Sentinel - August 4th, 2017
- Do these 4 natural anti-aging alternatives work? - Fox News - August 3rd, 2017
- Doug Brooks returns to Parkersburg as a physician - Parkersburg News - August 2nd, 2017
- AI Is Helping This Anti-Aging Startup Uncover Ways for You to Live a Longer, Healthier Life - Futurism - August 2nd, 2017
- Trump's CDC Pick Peddled 'Anti-Aging' Medicine to Her Gynecologic Patients - New York Magazine - July 11th, 2017
- Vitals - Axios - July 11th, 2017
- Mega NFC Medical10: Beauty- and Anti-Aging Laureate Celebrates Fifth Anniversary - Digital Journal - July 11th, 2017
- Human Lifespan Evidence Now Being Challenged - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Broccoli Battles Diabetes - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Best anti-aging foods you should be eating - Bel Marra Health - July 2nd, 2017
- Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop. - WIRED - July 2nd, 2017
- How to keep skin looking young? We asked the experts - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2017
- The Connection Between Chronic Illness, Cortisol, And Sleep - Information Nigeria - June 30th, 2017
- Agenda Announced for 2017 MedTech Impact Expo & Conference in Las Vegas - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - Benzinga - June 28th, 2017
- Palm Springs Life - Palm Springs Life - June 28th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - PR Web (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- 4 Natural Skin-Care Ingredients That'll Transform Your Skin - Allure Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Cryotherapy: Is it the coolest thing in sports medicine? - San Francisco Chronicle - June 25th, 2017
- Dr. Vincent Giampapa's Global Foundation for Human Aging Research Donates $50000 to The Sinclair Lab at Harvard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 23rd, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- Tim Ferriss Reveals the Anti-Aging Secrets You Must Know - Men's Health - June 21st, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging ... - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- World's oldest super fruit delivers super anti-aging protection - Personal Liberty Digest - June 21st, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Attends the AANP 2017 National ... - Benzinga - June 20th, 2017
- Potential anti-aging Cardax Astaxanthin compound selected for NIH research - UH System Current News - June 20th, 2017
- Health Risks of Sleeping in on Weekends - Anti Aging News - June 16th, 2017
- Are All Calories the Same? - SELF - June 16th, 2017
- Fennel Reduces Postmenopause Symptoms - Anti Aging News - June 14th, 2017
- Inside Ambrosia: Could infusions of millennial blood make you young again? Scientists have doubts. - Mic - June 14th, 2017
- A Top Dermatologist Weighs in on Miranda Kerr's Leech Facial - NewBeauty Magazine (blog) - June 14th, 2017
- Chinese Medicine is Using Donkey Skins to Boost Libidoand Africa's Animals Are at Risk - Newsweek - June 14th, 2017
- Carotid Artery Gives Away Human Biological Age - Bioscience Technology - June 11th, 2017
- Can You Actually Die From Too Much Caffeine? - BOSS Magazine - June 8th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - ScienceBlog.com (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Essential Science: Methylene Blue as an anti-aging treatment - Digital Journal - June 5th, 2017
- IBM's Watson - Best Doctor In The World? - Anti Aging News - June 2nd, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) and Metabolic Medical Institute (MMI) have been - PR Newswire UK (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Antibody Fights Fat, Fires up Metabolism - Anti Aging News - June 1st, 2017
- Surgery Is No Longer Your Only Option! - The Clermont News Leader - May 31st, 2017
- Aesthetic Medicine: 5 top trends at the AMWC - Premium beauty - May 30th, 2017
- How Biotech Will Make Us Live Longer - Let's Talk Anti-Aging - Labiotech.eu (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Medicine & Hormone Replacement CME - May 24th, 2017
- Balance Your Mind and Body with a Natural Approach to Anti-Aging - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- Connect Medical Will Launch in Cincinnati in October - TSNN Trade Show News (blog) - May 23rd, 2017
- Curbing Calories Slows Aging | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging News - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Flower Pesticides Linked to Neurological Problems - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Resveratrol May Benefit Diabetics' Cardiovascular Health - Anti Aging News - May 22nd, 2017
- A Yogurt a Day May Keep Disorders at Bay - Anti Aging News - May 21st, 2017
- Promise Rejuvenation Center cuts ribbon at Palm Ridge Plaza in The Villages - Villages-News - May 20th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Markets Insider - May 18th, 2017
- 3-D Printed Ovaries Restore Fertility - Anti Aging News - May 18th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Marketwired (press release) - May 17th, 2017
- Heart Attack Risk Raised by Respiratory Infections - Anti Aging News - May 17th, 2017
- Actor Antonio Sabato Touting Hormone Therapy - Newsmax - May 17th, 2017
- Dr. Manjula Raguthu is recognized by Continental Who's Who - MilTech - May 17th, 2017
- White Lotus Products Arrive on NPIBeauty.com - PR Web (press release) - May 15th, 2017