The beauty market is awash with anti-aging products, and the lists of ingredients in serums and creams that promise to slow down or reverse that process can be confounding.
Take a look at the fine print and you might encounter Vitamin C or green tea extract or alpha-hydroxy acids. Can anything make a difference?
We checked in with a handful of experts, including Dr. Gregory Henderson, a dermatologist and clinical instructor in dermatology at UCLA, in our search for answers.
By the way, cosmetics companies test their products extensively. The Food and Drug Administration does not test products, but can take action against a manufacturer if it has concerns over product safety.
Activated charcoal, which can absorb some toxins, has been used to treat alcohol and drug poisoning in emergency rooms for decades. But in the last few years, the beauty industry has embraced it, touting its ability to absorb dirt and oil. Can it be effective?
When used as part of a mask or strip, Henderson says, the charcoal may help remove sebum and keratinous debris from skin pores.
Mud is sometimes used in masks that are used to hydrate the skin and is acknowledged by many in the medical community for its potential to help with skin issues. Mud therapy, says Henderson, is an ancient tradition and historically has been used for inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
Clay is one of the most common ingredients found in beauty products, and experts tend to agree that it can serve a useful purpose, if used according to directions. Clay masks, designed to remove oil, dirt and dead skin cells, can be used as a delivery mechanism for ingredients oils and emollients, for example to ease dry skin.
Sodium hyaluronate, which is used in all sorts of wrinkle and skin-repair products, is a cousin of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the skin which helps hang on to water and helps give the skin a younger appearance, says UCLA dermatologist Dr. Hayley Goldbach.
Dermatologists often inject hyaluronic acid fillers into skin, resulting in more volume and a reduction in fine lines. Sodium hyaluronate, designed to be applied to the skin, has not been shown to have the same anti-aging or collagen-boosting properties as injectable hyaluronic acid. But it continues to be included in various medical studies and papers that are focused on the efficacy of various anti-aging products.
According to Medscape, an online reference source used by medical professionals, AHAs (including glycolic and citric acids) improve skin texture and reduce the signs of aging by promoting cell shedding in the outer layers of the skin. But the mechanism of the action is not completely understood.
Caffeine is used in cosmetics and cosmeceuticals to counter a number of skin conditions, including the appearance of cellulite. It works, in theory, by stimulating lipolysis the breaking down of fat in the skin and by improving the microcirculation, Henderson says.
Caffeine is also found in some eye creams, promoted by cosmetic lines for its ability to shrink blood vessels under the eyes, although its role has not been well studied.
pogrebkov / Getty Images/iStockphoto
Cellulite busting product concept. Anti-cellulite cosmetics with caffeine. Jar of cream with a spoon of coffee essential oil surrounded by coffee beans on wooden surface. Top view. Copy space ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG, CM - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD **
Cellulite busting product concept. Anti-cellulite cosmetics with caffeine. Jar of cream with a spoon of coffee essential oil surrounded by coffee beans on wooden surface. Top view. Copy space ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG, CM - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD ** (pogrebkov / Getty Images/iStockphoto)
In the last few years, there's been a surge in the use of green tea extract in beauty products. WebMD reports that the ingredients in tea can reduce sun damage and may protect you from skin cancer when you put it on your skin. Henderson says that a study combining green tree extract, caffeine and resveratrol showed reduced facial redness.
Tia Magallon / Getty Images
Green Tea Powder ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG, CM - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD **
Green Tea Powder ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG, CM - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD ** (Tia Magallon / Getty Images)
Vitamin C is one of the most popular ingredients in anti-aging products, promoted as something that can protect cells from free radicals, which can damage cell DNA, increase signs of aging and lead to cancer.
Some experts say the antioxidants found in vitamin C can assist the body's production of collagen. But Henderson cautions: While limited studies have shown that topical vitamin C may limit photoaging, many current preparations are not formulated to allow the vitamin C to effectively penetrate the skin. Also unless protected from the air, most preparation became inactive without hours of opening.
Karen TapiaAndersen / Los Angeles Times
Tapia, Karen 133988.HE.0213.cold&flu5.KTA 21308 (Los Angeles Times Studio) Vitamin C, used to prevent cold symptoms as well as an immune system booster and an antioxident.
Tapia, Karen 133988.HE.0213.cold&flu5.KTA 21308 (Los Angeles Times Studio) Vitamin C, used to prevent cold symptoms as well as an immune system booster and an antioxident. (Karen TapiaAndersen / Los Angeles Times)
Peptides, formed from amino acids, are cellular messengers of sorts and are commonly used in beauty products. According to Henderson, signal peptides may stimulate collagen production. Carrier peptides may aid in the delivery of copper to the skin and promote smoother skin. (Copper is said to help develop collagen and elastin.)
Ada Summer / Getty Images
beauty studio shot of a young woman with a white gel hyaluronic acid and collagen mask under her eye - beauty trend ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG, CM - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD **
beauty studio shot of a young woman with a white gel hyaluronic acid and collagen mask under her eye - beauty trend ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG, CM - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD ** (Ada Summer / Getty Images)
Many of us associate algae with unpleasant encounters in the water (seaweed, pond scum, etc.), but algae have been used in traditional diets and folk medicine for centuries.
In the beauty world, you might read about ingredients such as blue marine algae or brown algae extract. You won't find universal agreement on their effectiveness in cosmeceuticals, but an article in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology suggests brown seaweed could be used as a potential cosmetic ingredient to make skin firmer and smoother.
YuanruLi / Getty Images/iStockphoto
Laminaria japonica?kelp?Isolated on White Background. ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG, CM - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD **
Laminaria japonica?kelp?Isolated on White Background. ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG, CM - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD ** (YuanruL
i / Getty Images/iStockphoto)
Some of the ingredients listed in the fine print on cosmetics and cosmeceuticals may actually help your skin. But what the experts really hope you'll indulge in are rest, exercise, a healthy diet and sunscreen.
Yes, you can eat your way to beautiful skin
10 high-tech gadgets to help you get to sleep
How Scandals Katie Lowes hid her psoriasis
7 steps to making your health your No. 1 priority
Read more from the original source:
How to keep skin looking young? We asked the experts - Los Angeles Times
- Sleepless Nights Do No Favors for Your Heart - Anti Aging News - September 8th, 2017
- Secret to reversing aging? Think again - The Korea Herald - September 8th, 2017
- 10 Ways To Stay Healthy Going Into Fall With Dr. Calapai - LATF USA - September 6th, 2017
- Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 promotes Kingdoms Holistic Paradise - eTurboNews - September 6th, 2017
- New class of drugs targets aging to help keep you healthy - CNN - September 5th, 2017
- Singing May Be Good Medicine for Parkinson's Patients - Anti Aging News - September 4th, 2017
- New Study Shows Gut Bacteria Produces Secret, Anti-Aging Molecules - Wall Street Pit - September 4th, 2017
- Balance and Gait Problems can be Improved using Avatars - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- White Lotus Products Available on CompleteBeautyStore.com - Benzinga - August 31st, 2017
- Discovery of a New Compound Turns on a Longevity Gene in Mice - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- A Potential Anti-Aging Pill Promises to Extend Life For 5 Cents a Pop - Wall Street Pit - August 27th, 2017
- Philly native discusses the 'Allure' of anti-aging to movie star super-heroines - Philly.com - August 27th, 2017
- Metformin could be the first FDA approved antiaging drug - Next Big Future - August 27th, 2017
- TAT Holds Global Medical Tourism Event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 ... - Benzinga - August 18th, 2017
- Media's Anti-Aging Agenda without the Benefit of Scientific Evidence, Fact or Common Sense - Anti Aging News - August 18th, 2017
- TAT holds global medical tourism event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017," focusing ... - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Approaches - Harvard Magazine - August 15th, 2017
- Introducing CoolSculpting, the World's Most Popular Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Treatment, in Glen Allen, VA at ... - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Stimulating Stem Cells to Encourage Hair Growth - Anti Aging News - August 15th, 2017
- David Steenblock Offers Beauty, Anti-Aging and Wellness in One Therapy - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Calendar Updates for August - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Green Tea Boosts Memory, Combats Obesity - Anti Aging News - August 4th, 2017
- Anti-aging medicine group says field isn't 'controversial' - FierceHealthcare - August 4th, 2017
- Protein at All 3 Meals May Help Preserve Seniors' Strength - The Sentinel - August 4th, 2017
- Do these 4 natural anti-aging alternatives work? - Fox News - August 3rd, 2017
- Doug Brooks returns to Parkersburg as a physician - Parkersburg News - August 2nd, 2017
- AI Is Helping This Anti-Aging Startup Uncover Ways for You to Live a Longer, Healthier Life - Futurism - August 2nd, 2017
- Trump's CDC Pick Peddled 'Anti-Aging' Medicine to Her Gynecologic Patients - New York Magazine - July 11th, 2017
- Vitals - Axios - July 11th, 2017
- Mega NFC Medical10: Beauty- and Anti-Aging Laureate Celebrates Fifth Anniversary - Digital Journal - July 11th, 2017
- Human Lifespan Evidence Now Being Challenged - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Broccoli Battles Diabetes - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Best anti-aging foods you should be eating - Bel Marra Health - July 2nd, 2017
- Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop. - WIRED - July 2nd, 2017
- The Connection Between Chronic Illness, Cortisol, And Sleep - Information Nigeria - June 30th, 2017
- Agenda Announced for 2017 MedTech Impact Expo & Conference in Las Vegas - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - Benzinga - June 28th, 2017
- Palm Springs Life - Palm Springs Life - June 28th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - PR Web (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- 4 Natural Skin-Care Ingredients That'll Transform Your Skin - Allure Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Cryotherapy: Is it the coolest thing in sports medicine? - San Francisco Chronicle - June 25th, 2017
- Dr. Vincent Giampapa's Global Foundation for Human Aging Research Donates $50000 to The Sinclair Lab at Harvard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 23rd, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- Tim Ferriss Reveals the Anti-Aging Secrets You Must Know - Men's Health - June 21st, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging ... - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- World's oldest super fruit delivers super anti-aging protection - Personal Liberty Digest - June 21st, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Attends the AANP 2017 National ... - Benzinga - June 20th, 2017
- Potential anti-aging Cardax Astaxanthin compound selected for NIH research - UH System Current News - June 20th, 2017
- Health Risks of Sleeping in on Weekends - Anti Aging News - June 16th, 2017
- Are All Calories the Same? - SELF - June 16th, 2017
- Fennel Reduces Postmenopause Symptoms - Anti Aging News - June 14th, 2017
- Inside Ambrosia: Could infusions of millennial blood make you young again? Scientists have doubts. - Mic - June 14th, 2017
- A Top Dermatologist Weighs in on Miranda Kerr's Leech Facial - NewBeauty Magazine (blog) - June 14th, 2017
- Chinese Medicine is Using Donkey Skins to Boost Libidoand Africa's Animals Are at Risk - Newsweek - June 14th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - June 11th, 2017
- Carotid Artery Gives Away Human Biological Age - Bioscience Technology - June 11th, 2017
- Can You Actually Die From Too Much Caffeine? - BOSS Magazine - June 8th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - ScienceBlog.com (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Essential Science: Methylene Blue as an anti-aging treatment - Digital Journal - June 5th, 2017
- IBM's Watson - Best Doctor In The World? - Anti Aging News - June 2nd, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) and Metabolic Medical Institute (MMI) have been - PR Newswire UK (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Antibody Fights Fat, Fires up Metabolism - Anti Aging News - June 1st, 2017
- Surgery Is No Longer Your Only Option! - The Clermont News Leader - May 31st, 2017
- Aesthetic Medicine: 5 top trends at the AMWC - Premium beauty - May 30th, 2017
- How Biotech Will Make Us Live Longer - Let's Talk Anti-Aging - Labiotech.eu (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Medicine & Hormone Replacement CME - May 24th, 2017
- Balance Your Mind and Body with a Natural Approach to Anti-Aging - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- Connect Medical Will Launch in Cincinnati in October - TSNN Trade Show News (blog) - May 23rd, 2017
- Curbing Calories Slows Aging | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging News - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Flower Pesticides Linked to Neurological Problems - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Resveratrol May Benefit Diabetics' Cardiovascular Health - Anti Aging News - May 22nd, 2017
- A Yogurt a Day May Keep Disorders at Bay - Anti Aging News - May 21st, 2017
- Promise Rejuvenation Center cuts ribbon at Palm Ridge Plaza in The Villages - Villages-News - May 20th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Markets Insider - May 18th, 2017
- 3-D Printed Ovaries Restore Fertility - Anti Aging News - May 18th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Marketwired (press release) - May 17th, 2017
- Heart Attack Risk Raised by Respiratory Infections - Anti Aging News - May 17th, 2017
- Actor Antonio Sabato Touting Hormone Therapy - Newsmax - May 17th, 2017
- Dr. Manjula Raguthu is recognized by Continental Who's Who - MilTech - May 17th, 2017
- White Lotus Products Arrive on NPIBeauty.com - PR Web (press release) - May 15th, 2017