I am standing inside an upright tank, my head sticking out the top. Im wearing skivvies, booties and glovies. A dry-ice-like fog of liquid nitrogen wafts, swirling under my chin. The temperature is quickly dropping, on its way to a brisk 190 degrees below zero.
Questions arise in my mind. Will I survive the full three minutes, or will I tap out? The tank has an escape door, but what if it freezes shut? Was there a fur-lined cup they forgot to have me put on? Im trying to keep a stiff (but not frozen) upper lip, I dont want to become known as the guy who put the cry in cryotherapy.
Here we go, says Amanda, the cryo tank operator, cheerfully. Gleefully? Three minutes!
I wonder if thats what they said to Ted Williams, whose head is cryogenically frozen in a tank in Arizona. What if my family learned I have a terminal disease, but they dont want to tell me, and this is their way of tricking me into being frozen until a cure is found?
They say the Kentucky Derby is the most exciting two minutes in sports. Cryotherapy, at least the first time, is the most exciting three minutes.
Am I overdramatizing? Probably.
Whole-body cryotherapy (WBC) is increasingly popular and, as far as my research shows, without serious risk. Athletes love the treatments. Warriors Stephen Curry, Andre Iguodala and Shaun Livingston get tanked. Several As are users, and Jalen Richard, the Raiders second-year running back and kick returner, told me that roughly one-third of the Raiders use WBC. The Raiders as a team have open accounts at several Bay Area cryo studios.
WBC is not new. It was developed more than 30 years ago by a Japanese fellow seeking an effective treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. In recent years it has become a full-blown fad in sports, for elite athletes and weekend warriors.
In theory, WBC works like an ice bath, but (some say) better. Three minutes in the cryo tank knocks down inflammation and speeds healing of sore muscles and assorted injuries.
Commercial cryo spas, along with touting the anti-inflammation aspect, claim user benefits such as weight loss, skin and hair rejuvenation, anti-aging, sleep enhancement, metabolism boost and a natural buzz.
These spas claim that rather than freezing your assets off, you will freeze your liabilities off.
Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle
San Francisco Chronicle columnist Scott Ostler tries the latest in sports health therapy at a Bay Area cryotherapy treatment center.
San Francisco Chronicle columnist Scott Ostler tries the latest in sports health therapy at a Bay Area cryotherapy treatment center.
Cryotherapy: Is it the coolest thing in sports medicine?
Maybe, maybe not. The website Skeptoid said in 2014, P.T. Barnum would be proud of cryosauna and cryotherapy. Save your money.
The same website did allow that WBC, in treating sore muscles and inflammation, is at least as effective as ice baths and cold-water swims, albeit more expensive. Are the skeptics too skeptical? The jury is out. The FDA does not endorse or monitor WBC.
But what many athletes believe they find in cryotherapy is a safe, fast and effective treatment for pain and inflammation. If ice bags strapped to knees are effective post-workout treatment, why not a super-duper-cold dry-ice-down quickie for the whole body?
When I go in now and Im real sore, theres definitely a soothing feeling, said Richard, who gets his cryo on several times a week. Its more soothing and relaxing to me than it is freezing cold, like ice baths are.
Richard can recite the alleged scientific theory behind cryo. Basically, the intense cold tricks your brain into survival mode. Heavier blood flow is directed to the bodys core, sending extra oxygen and nutrients to the brain and other organs. Once you escape uh, emerge from the cryo tank, the blood immediately starts returning to the skin and extremities, accelerating (allegedly) cell renewal in the skin.
The process also (allegedly) releases endorphins, boosting your mood.
When I get out of there, Richard said, within a couple of minutes I start feeling great, like Im brand new all over again.
For the sake of journalism, I decided to give it a whirl. My wife had been gifted a three-week course by a co-worker, and she passed it along to me. I went nearly every day. Im probably not a good guinea pig, since Im not a stressed and battered athlete. I do have rheumatoid arthritis, but its controlled by meds, so if cryo did help knock down my RA, I wouldnt really feel it.
Still, lets see what its all about. By coincidence, for a week before the first treatment, I suffered a bout of sciatica, a nerve condition that made it painful to sit in a car or at a desk.
There is a fear factor call it trepidation as I approach my first treatment. Later, Richard told me he was nervous the first time, too. I dont want to chicken out. When you soak a sore foot or ankle in ice water, the cold can be intense and painful. What if its like that over my whole body, and I wimp out?
Inside the storefront studio in Walnut Creek I am instructed to step into a dressing room, strip down to undershorts, put on gloves and rubber booties, and a robe. Then I step into the cryo chamber, hand Amanda my robe, and she cranks up her high-tech ice-cream churn.
It is cold almost instantly. But at no point is there a painful, whimper-inducing shock, like a plunge into a cold ocean. Its minus-190 or so, but hey, its a dry cold.
Amanda engages me in small talk, which definitely helps. Then, Halfway there, doing OK?
Diversion is the key. I try to come up with a Cryotherapy All-Star team. I get George Iceman Gervin, Red The Wheaton Iceman Grange, the old Pirates infielder Gene Freese, Vida Blue, Larry Burright, Stone Cold Steve Austin, J.T. Snow, Cool Papa Bell and Chili Davis.
Every 20 seconds or so Amanda instructs me to take a quarter turn. To get a nice, even blue skin tone, I guess.
The last minute is the coldest, but my overcoming-childish-fear endorphins are kicking in and I know Ill make it.
All done, Amanda says, hitting the kill switch. The robe goes back on, I step out, Amanda shoots a laser at my leg to register skin temp.
Am I now desperate to sprint to the nearest hot tub, sauna or hot-chocolate dispenser? No, once out of the tank, I feel fine. No lingering cold.
What about the cryo-buzz from that endorphin stampede? Again, Im probably the wrong guy. I dont get endorphin rushes from exercise. But now I do feel energetic and wide awake.
Driving home, I notice that I am sitting with little discomfort. About a week later the sciatica symptoms are gone. Coincidence? I dont know.
Within a few days I work up to Level 3, Ted Williams neighborhood. Richard told me that he not only does Level 3 but that he also jacks the temp even lower by having the attendant pre-cool the chamber. I did that once, and it got my attention. The last 30 seconds, I went to my Lamaze breathing.
Does cryotherapy work? Is it a miracle cure? Other than the sciatica relief, I seemed to feel a little less creaky in the joints, and a bit energized after the sessions. If not miraculously healed, I felt way cooler.
Scott Ostler is a San Francisco Chronicle columnist. Email: email@example.com Twitter: @scottostler
See the original post:
Cryotherapy: Is it the coolest thing in sports medicine? - San Francisco Chronicle
- Sleepless Nights Do No Favors for Your Heart - Anti Aging News - September 8th, 2017
- Secret to reversing aging? Think again - The Korea Herald - September 8th, 2017
- 10 Ways To Stay Healthy Going Into Fall With Dr. Calapai - LATF USA - September 6th, 2017
- Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 promotes Kingdoms Holistic Paradise - eTurboNews - September 6th, 2017
- New class of drugs targets aging to help keep you healthy - CNN - September 5th, 2017
- Singing May Be Good Medicine for Parkinson's Patients - Anti Aging News - September 4th, 2017
- New Study Shows Gut Bacteria Produces Secret, Anti-Aging Molecules - Wall Street Pit - September 4th, 2017
- Balance and Gait Problems can be Improved using Avatars - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- White Lotus Products Available on CompleteBeautyStore.com - Benzinga - August 31st, 2017
- Discovery of a New Compound Turns on a Longevity Gene in Mice - Anti Aging News - August 31st, 2017
- A Potential Anti-Aging Pill Promises to Extend Life For 5 Cents a Pop - Wall Street Pit - August 27th, 2017
- Philly native discusses the 'Allure' of anti-aging to movie star super-heroines - Philly.com - August 27th, 2017
- Metformin could be the first FDA approved antiaging drug - Next Big Future - August 27th, 2017
- TAT Holds Global Medical Tourism Event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017 ... - Benzinga - August 18th, 2017
- Media's Anti-Aging Agenda without the Benefit of Scientific Evidence, Fact or Common Sense - Anti Aging News - August 18th, 2017
- TAT holds global medical tourism event: "Amazing Thailand Health and Wellness Tourism Showcase 2017," focusing ... - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Approaches - Harvard Magazine - August 15th, 2017
- Introducing CoolSculpting, the World's Most Popular Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Treatment, in Glen Allen, VA at ... - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Stimulating Stem Cells to Encourage Hair Growth - Anti Aging News - August 15th, 2017
- David Steenblock Offers Beauty, Anti-Aging and Wellness in One Therapy - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Calendar Updates for August - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Green Tea Boosts Memory, Combats Obesity - Anti Aging News - August 4th, 2017
- Anti-aging medicine group says field isn't 'controversial' - FierceHealthcare - August 4th, 2017
- Protein at All 3 Meals May Help Preserve Seniors' Strength - The Sentinel - August 4th, 2017
- Do these 4 natural anti-aging alternatives work? - Fox News - August 3rd, 2017
- Doug Brooks returns to Parkersburg as a physician - Parkersburg News - August 2nd, 2017
- AI Is Helping This Anti-Aging Startup Uncover Ways for You to Live a Longer, Healthier Life - Futurism - August 2nd, 2017
- Trump's CDC Pick Peddled 'Anti-Aging' Medicine to Her Gynecologic Patients - New York Magazine - July 11th, 2017
- Vitals - Axios - July 11th, 2017
- Mega NFC Medical10: Beauty- and Anti-Aging Laureate Celebrates Fifth Anniversary - Digital Journal - July 11th, 2017
- Human Lifespan Evidence Now Being Challenged - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Broccoli Battles Diabetes - Anti Aging News - July 3rd, 2017
- Best anti-aging foods you should be eating - Bel Marra Health - July 2nd, 2017
- Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop. - WIRED - July 2nd, 2017
- How to keep skin looking young? We asked the experts - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2017
- The Connection Between Chronic Illness, Cortisol, And Sleep - Information Nigeria - June 30th, 2017
- Agenda Announced for 2017 MedTech Impact Expo & Conference in Las Vegas - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - Benzinga - June 28th, 2017
- Palm Springs Life - Palm Springs Life - June 28th, 2017
- Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation Awards the Khalid Mahmud MD Outstanding Student Scholarship at the High ... - PR Web (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- 4 Natural Skin-Care Ingredients That'll Transform Your Skin - Allure Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Dr. Vincent Giampapa's Global Foundation for Human Aging Research Donates $50000 to The Sinclair Lab at Harvard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 23rd, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- Tim Ferriss Reveals the Anti-Aging Secrets You Must Know - Men's Health - June 21st, 2017
- Longer Life Span with Genetic Mutation | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging ... - Anti Aging News - June 21st, 2017
- World's oldest super fruit delivers super anti-aging protection - Personal Liberty Digest - June 21st, 2017
- Empire Medical Training Attends the AANP 2017 National ... - Benzinga - June 20th, 2017
- Potential anti-aging Cardax Astaxanthin compound selected for NIH research - UH System Current News - June 20th, 2017
- Health Risks of Sleeping in on Weekends - Anti Aging News - June 16th, 2017
- Are All Calories the Same? - SELF - June 16th, 2017
- Fennel Reduces Postmenopause Symptoms - Anti Aging News - June 14th, 2017
- Inside Ambrosia: Could infusions of millennial blood make you young again? Scientists have doubts. - Mic - June 14th, 2017
- A Top Dermatologist Weighs in on Miranda Kerr's Leech Facial - NewBeauty Magazine (blog) - June 14th, 2017
- Chinese Medicine is Using Donkey Skins to Boost Libidoand Africa's Animals Are at Risk - Newsweek - June 14th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - June 11th, 2017
- Carotid Artery Gives Away Human Biological Age - Bioscience Technology - June 11th, 2017
- Can You Actually Die From Too Much Caffeine? - BOSS Magazine - June 8th, 2017
- Living long and living well: Is it possible to do both? - ScienceBlog.com (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Essential Science: Methylene Blue as an anti-aging treatment - Digital Journal - June 5th, 2017
- IBM's Watson - Best Doctor In The World? - Anti Aging News - June 2nd, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) and Metabolic Medical Institute (MMI) have been - PR Newswire UK (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Antibody Fights Fat, Fires up Metabolism - Anti Aging News - June 1st, 2017
- Surgery Is No Longer Your Only Option! - The Clermont News Leader - May 31st, 2017
- Aesthetic Medicine: 5 top trends at the AMWC - Premium beauty - May 30th, 2017
- How Biotech Will Make Us Live Longer - Let's Talk Anti-Aging - Labiotech.eu (blog) - May 25th, 2017
- Anti-Aging Medicine & Hormone Replacement CME - May 24th, 2017
- Balance Your Mind and Body with a Natural Approach to Anti-Aging - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- Connect Medical Will Launch in Cincinnati in October - TSNN Trade Show News (blog) - May 23rd, 2017
- Curbing Calories Slows Aging | Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging News - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Flower Pesticides Linked to Neurological Problems - Anti Aging News - May 23rd, 2017
- Resveratrol May Benefit Diabetics' Cardiovascular Health - Anti Aging News - May 22nd, 2017
- A Yogurt a Day May Keep Disorders at Bay - Anti Aging News - May 21st, 2017
- Promise Rejuvenation Center cuts ribbon at Palm Ridge Plaza in The Villages - Villages-News - May 20th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Markets Insider - May 18th, 2017
- 3-D Printed Ovaries Restore Fertility - Anti Aging News - May 18th, 2017
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Introduces New Podcast: Redefining Medicine - Marketwired (press release) - May 17th, 2017
- Heart Attack Risk Raised by Respiratory Infections - Anti Aging News - May 17th, 2017
- Actor Antonio Sabato Touting Hormone Therapy - Newsmax - May 17th, 2017
- Dr. Manjula Raguthu is recognized by Continental Who's Who - MilTech - May 17th, 2017
- White Lotus Products Arrive on NPIBeauty.com - PR Web (press release) - May 15th, 2017